[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: One more year for Novak!  (Read 11761 times)

jsglow

• All American
One more year for Novak!
« on: August 29, 2016, 07:07:58 PM »
Signs with the Bucks filling the roster.  One more spot up 3 man.  Congratulations Steve.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nba/bucks/2016/08/29/steve-novak-signs-deal-return-bucks/89558240/

real chili 83

• All American
Re: One more year for Novak!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 07:49:57 PM »
Cool

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 07:54:46 PM »
Sweet!--I'm sure he will be at the Al with a few fellow Bucks playing and speaking to the young guns and recruits about life in the league and how MU made him who he is today. Great ambassador. Any interview he gives he will speak of the great qualities of MU. Very happy.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 08:21:26 PM »
Excellent news for Steve and MU. How he is healthy and enjoys some good moments.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 09:41:33 PM »
I remember the year of the lockout when all the NBA guys came back for Madness.  Dumb kids picked their 'teams' and for the 3 point contest picked DWade first and Novak last.  The guys got a chuckle out of that one.  To this day I think chick jr's friend still brags that he hit more 3s than his teammate Wade.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 10:16:21 PM »
Would expect nothing less from the Bucks.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 11:35:40 PM »
Will be cool to have 3 NBA players and one NBADL player who were legends here within 90miles of campus for the 100 year anniversary. What's sad is Jimmy will probably be given more props than McNeal by these damn kids.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 08:46:55 AM »
That's because Jimmy had the better MU career. 

Doesn't confuse accumulation with production.   

Jerel wasn't even the best player in his class.  Unfortunately he didn't realize it and many times didn't allow others to completely flourish. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 08:47:34 AM »
Would expect nothing less from the Bucks.

You really are a Debbie Downer sometimes wade.  We're talking 15th freakin' man here.  Don't really think this is make or break for the franchise.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 08:50:11 AM »
That's because Jimmy had the better MU career. 

Doesn't confuse accumulation with production.   

Jerel wasn't even the best player in his class.  Unfortunately he didn't realize it and many times didn't allow others to completely flourish.

+1

I'd venture that no player in MU history has shown more growth from the day he walked in the MU gym for the first time to his NBA peak than JFB.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 09:14:38 AM »
You really are a Debbie Downer sometimes wade.  We're talking 15th freakin' man here.  Don't really think this is make or break for the franchise.

That's the issue here.  We're spending our last roster spot on a 33 year old who had 3 "good" (over 6 points per game?) seasons in his entire career, the most recent being 5 years ago.  I love Novak and I'm glad the Bucks gave him the opportunity to retire on his own terms rather than being forced to because he was cut from his team, especially since the Bucks were going nowhere by that point in the season last year.  But I'd rather give my last roster spot to Matt Carlino or Derrick Wilson.

Whn you're trying to take the next step with your young core of players that you think can be superstars, consider me to continue to be beyond unimpressed with the offseason moves.  Last year you rid yourself of Zaza (ugh) and Dudley (ugh) to trade a first round pick for 1 year of Greivis Vasquez (ugh...even if Greivis produced on the court it's still a horrible move).  Now you see OJ Mayo get banned from the NBA (whatever) and see Bayless walk (ugh) and replace them with Teletovic (love the move...got one right finally), Delly (ugh), a 33 year old Novak (ugh), and a 38 year old Jason Terry (ugh) and can't unload Moose (ugh) or MCW (ugh).  Novak was literally going to be out of the NBA if the Bucks didn't pick up the hometown kid midseason last year.  Now we're signing him for another year.  Jason Terry literally admitted that he basically called every team and finally settled for Milwaukee when nobody would offer him any money.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 09:33:50 AM »
That's the issue here.  We're spending our last roster spot on a 33 year old who had 3 "good" (over 6 points per game?) seasons in his entire career, the most recent being 5 years ago.  I love Novak and I'm glad the Bucks gave him the opportunity to retire on his own terms rather than being forced to because he was cut from his team, especially since the Bucks were going nowhere by that point in the season last year.  But I'd rather give my last roster spot to Matt Carlino or Derrick Wilson.

Whn you're trying to take the next step with your young core of players that you think can be superstars, consider me to continue to be beyond unimpressed with the offseason moves.  Last year you rid yourself of Zaza (ugh) and Dudley (ugh) to trade a first round pick for 1 year of Greivis Vasquez (ugh...even if Greivis produced on the court it's still a horrible move).  Now you see OJ Mayo get banned from the NBA (whatever) and see Bayless walk (ugh) and replace them with Teletovic (love the move...got one right finally), Delly (ugh), a 33 year old Novak (ugh), and a 38 year old Jason Terry (ugh) and can't unload Moose (ugh) or MCW (ugh).  Novak was literally going to be out of the NBA if the Bucks didn't pick up the hometown kid midseason last year.  Now we're signing him for another year.  Jason Terry literally admitted that he basically called every team and finally settled for Milwaukee when nobody would offer him any money.

I'm not discussing the merits of the other deals.  But for the 15th man.....

Just be happy for once, please.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 09:37:15 AM »
Congrats to Steve! 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 09:46:50 AM »
Look at it this way... who fills a need more with that roster spot- JOB or Novak? Neither one plays defense, but Novak at least gives you some outside shooting.

Steve's a good locker room guy, can still shoot it, and is good marketing/community guy for the team. Makes all the sense in the world to keep him on a minimum deal.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 09:59:33 AM »
I am a really happy guy.  Not sure what the Bucks have done to make people so happy about, but if they please you then more power to you.

I would much rather sign some rookie who could at least, at some point in his life, do something that contributes to winning basketball games on your court.  Steve Novak has about as much of a chance to do that for the Bucks as I do.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 11:08:57 AM »
I agree with wades. Love Novak but the Bucks are pretty light at SF right now. I think if the Bucks had a better bench, this would be a "who cares, it's just the 15th man signing." But the Bucks have a few guys at the end of their bench that won't contribute much. Their bench was weak last year, and signings like this limit their ability to improve it.

That slot should have been used for a higher upside guy in my opinion. Novak's only real value is in the locker room, which Terry was likely signed for as wel. Not to mention Novak is coming off a knee injury.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 12:19:40 PM »
I am a really happy guy.  Not sure what the Bucks have done to make people so happy about, but if they please you then more power to you.

I would much rather sign some rookie who could at least, at some point in his life, do something that contributes to winning basketball games on your court.  Steve Novak has about as much of a chance to do that for the Bucks as I do.

So you're assuming the Bucks won't be in any games this coming season where they're down by 2 or 3, have the ball, and only have a second or two to hit the game-tying or winning shot?

Wow - you have really low expectations for the Bucks.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 12:22:51 PM »
So you're assuming the Bucks won't be in any games this coming season where they're down by 2 or 3, have the ball, and only have a second or two to hit the game-tying or winning shot?

Wow - you have really low expectations for the Bucks.

If Steve Novak is on the court in crunch time at any point this season the Bucks are totally effed.

And beyond that, if that's the Bucks thinking ("Let's sign a guy who can help us in the event that we're down 2 or 3 with only 1 possession remaining in the game") then it's further proving my point that there are some serious problems with the Bucks front office.  "Let's go out sign a guy who can be productive in one single situation in a game, one that comes up a max of 10 times a year."  Great.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 12:38:23 PM »
If Steve Novak is on the court in crunch time at any point this season the Bucks are totally effed.

And beyond that, if that's the Bucks thinking ("Let's sign a guy who can help us in the event that we're down 2 or 3 with only 1 possession remaining in the game") then it's further proving my point that there are some serious problems with the Bucks front office.  "Let's go out sign a guy who can be productive in one single situation in a game, one that comes up a max of 10 times a year."  Great.

If he wasn't going to be the last guy on the bench, you'd have a good point.  But most teams would love a last guy who has the potential to win up to 10 games...even if he didn't lift a finger other than that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 12:39:43 PM »
If he wasn't going to be the last guy on the bench, you'd have a good point.  But most teams would love a last guy who has the potential to win up to 10 games...even if he didn't lift a finger other than that.

The problem is he doesn't have the potential to win up to 10 games.  Once again, there are some major, major issues if Steve Novak is in the game in a 1 possession basketball game inside the last minute/30 seconds/10 seconds.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 12:52:36 PM »

The problem is he doesn't have the potential to win up to 10 games.  Once again, there are some major, major issues if Steve Novak is in the game in a 1 possession basketball game inside the last minute/30 seconds/10 seconds.

Newsflash - the Bucks have had "major, major issues" for years.  This is a team that has won 5 playoff games in the last 10 years.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »
Including this contract, Steve will enjoy over $23 million in career earnings...not bad for sort of a one trick pony:
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/milwaukee-bucks/steve-novak-2399/cash-earnings/
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 01:05:05 PM »
well, how often will he be active as the 15th guy on the roster?  If he is and Bucks are down by two or three with several seconds to go, what's wrong with flooding the court with 3 point shooters?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 01:10:10 PM »
Newsflash - the Bucks have had "major, major issues" for years.  This is a team that has won 5 playoff games in the last 10 years.

...that's kind of (okay, entirely) been my point the entire time.  Hence the original post, "Would expect nothing less from the Bucks."  This is as "Bucks" of a move as they come.

Put it this way.  In 6 years (33 years old, like Novak now), if Derrick Rose is cut by whatever team he may be playing for, does anyone think the Bulls will pick him up, and then sign him for another year, especially if he's averaged 2.44 points per game over the previous 5 seasons?  Of course not.  But we're the Bucks, so it's what we do.

I love Steve.  He does nothing to help the Bucks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 01:16:28 PM by wadesworld »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 01:46:09 PM »
The fact that this spot could have also been occupied by the second rounder they traded away for cash makes it frustrating too. I'll likely buy a Novak Bucks t-shirt though, so that's a positive for me.

feedback