[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: State Fair Phenomenon  (Read 4900 times)

real chili 83

• All American
State Fair Phenomenon
« on: August 27, 2016, 08:24:39 AM »
Here in Mn, one third of the state's population visits the state fair.  That's 1.8 million in attendance.  SPW probably makes a killing letting people park on his front yard.   ;)

Tons of people go to the fair EVERY DAY of the fair.  The cheese curds are to die for, as well as anything on a stick.  Good people watching too.  For many, it's almost a cult like obsession.  For me, if I go once every other year, I'm good.  It can also get obnoxiously expensive, real quick in just a couple of hours.

Is your state fair as big of a tradition?  Are you an everyday fair attender?

Benny B

• All American
Re: State Fair Phenomenon
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 08:45:00 AM »
Does the 1.8M count the people who go to the state fair every day as 7 or 1?

My family tries to go to the WI state fair every year.... we only make it once every 2-3 years, though.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 09:06:00 AM »
Yes

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 09:51:11 AM »
Do they still sell only 3.2 beer?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 10:01:55 AM »
Part of the problem with the Wisconsin State Fair is that it isn't located in a central location.  While putting it in the Milwaukee area makes sense because of population, its simply not convenient for a good portion of the state.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 10:26:08 AM »
Coming from a state with two state fairs, I've never understood it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 12:01:01 PM »
I have lived in MN for 18 years, and have never had any desire to go.  For people in rural areas, I guess it makes sense as a good place to show off your prize-winning livestock.  Otherwise, I don't get the appeal.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 01:07:22 PM »
We hadn't gone in over 20 years.  But we've attended the WI State Fair 2 years running now.  We certainly enjoyed ourselves utilizing a Monday 'summer hours' off day to lessen the crowds.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 01:21:39 PM »
I have lived in MN for 18 years, and have never had any desire to go.  For people in rural areas, I guess it makes sense as a good place to show off your prize-winning livestock.  Otherwise, I don't get the appeal.

Had no desire or haven't gone.  If you haven't gone you should give it a try before forming an opinion.  I found the 'great MN get-together' to be quite fun and well done. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 01:57:52 PM »
Had no desire or haven't gone.  If you haven't gone you should give it a try before forming an opinion.  I found the 'great MN get-together' to be quite fun and well done.

Haven't gone because I have no desire.

I don't doubt that it's well done for what it is.  But when I looked at the map and listing of things to do, it's obvious that most of the stuff - animal displays, midway rides/games, greasy food - has no appeal to me.  I'm willing to deal with traffic jams and big crowds for things I really like - and I'm sure I'd find a few fun things and/or good food there - but I doubt it would be worth the hassle of getting there and fighting the crowd. 

Maybe if they moved it to November and hosted a MU-U of MN game....

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 02:23:41 PM »
Haven't gone because I have no desire.

I don't doubt that it's well done for what it is.  But when I looked at the map and listing of things to do, it's obvious that most of the stuff - animal displays, midway rides/games, greasy food - has no appeal to me.  I'm willing to deal with traffic jams and big crowds for things I really like - and I'm sure I'd find a few fun things and/or good food there - but I doubt it would be worth the hassle of getting there and fighting the crowd. 

Maybe if they moved it to November and hosted a MU-U of MN game....

I go about every other year. Last time was on Labor Day, as we had tickets to see Boz Scaggs, Michael McDonald, and Donald F@gen (Rocky, your spell check has gone amuck).  Ate a shi1t load of curds, hit the dairy barn for a shake, and ate thirty or so things on a stick.  Crowds weren't too bad, and good people watching. 

If you can avoid days that are hot, and huge crowds, it's worth it once in a while.  The biggest day they've seen had 252,000 people. NFW am I going on a day like that.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 02:38:40 PM by real chili 83 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 03:34:22 PM »
First job was working in the Giggles CampfireGrill booth at the MN state fair. I've always loved the state fair. Used to go at least once a year when I lived in WI and MN. State fair is huge in Texas but I haven't made it up there yet. It's in Dallas which is a three hour drive for me
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 03:48:55 PM »
Teaxs State Fair has its grounds in Dallas, east-side...over by the old Cotton Bowl, rougher side of town nowadays...yet,...it still drew 2.8 million...but few from Houston attend (mostly DFW and East Texas rurals).

Houston's Livestock Show and Rodeo each February instead draws 2.6 million....By far and away its the money maker/more influential partner than are the NFL Texans on matters involving the Dome and Reliant Stadium property decisions.

San Antonio Rodeo (the one that forces the Spurs out on the road for 3 weeks every year) also drew 2.1 million

In many ways the rodeos are like state fairs too...given the way the rural folks come in, the trailrides, BBQ cookout weekend, the big acts playing during rodeos, the carnival grounds, and the livestock shown/auctioned.

All three are charitably run....sending generations of kids to colleges on scholarships...many Aggies
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 04:02:48 PM »
All three are charitably run....sending generations of kids to colleges on scholarships...many Aggies

So two positives and one negative?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 04:08:27 PM »
Never did understand the biscuit with cool whip thing.  To stand in line and have to pay for that glop?  I'd rather waste the calories,on a bacon cheese burger on a stick or something
don't...don't don't don't don't

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 04:15:49 PM »
So two positives and one negative?
Well lets stay in the charitable mode and say that becoming an Aggie is an acquired taste. lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 04:16:06 PM »
Teaxs State Fair has its grounds in Dallas, east-side...over by the old Cotton Bowl, rougher side of town nowadays...yet,...it still drew 2.8 million...but few from Houston attend (mostly DFW and East Texas rurals).

Houston's Livestock Show and Rodeo each February instead draws 2.6 million....By far and away its the money maker/more influential partner than are the NFL Texans on matters involving the Dome and Reliant Stadium property decisions.

San Antonio Rodeo (the one that forces the Spurs out on the road for 3 weeks every year) also drew 2.1 million

In many ways the rodeos are like state fairs too...given the way the rural folks come in, the trailrides, BBQ cookout weekend, the big acts playing during rodeos, the carnival grounds, and the livestock shown/auctioned.

I would rather go to the Wurstfest in New Braunfels than any of the above you list.  If your looking for meat on a stick, beer and polka, not a better place to go.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 04:31:28 PM »
I would rather go to the Wurstfest in New Braunfels than any of the above you list.  If your looking for meat on a stick, beer and polka, not a better place to go.
Its the best/Wurstfest in Texas

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 05:12:20 PM »
The MN State Fair is indeed a cultish phenomenon, it sets the bar high.  The WI one is .. fine.

I did go to the WI fair this year.  What I'd like to know is .. why do farmers go to fairs?

Going thru the livestock areas, you see these farm families, sitting around for hours and hours (and days?) watching all the city folk walk thru, or even sleeping there, amongst the cow poop and flies.   Is that fun?

I mean, I get it, it's kind of their business category's convention.  But it would seem that other conventions are waaaay more fun and interesting, and don't require what has to be a hassle of packing up animal(s) in trailers, moving them around, grooming them for the show (?) et cetera.   I get it if you're 12 and you raised Bessie and this is your idea of fun .. but the adult farmers? 

What's the payoff?

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 05:44:29 PM »
The MN State Fair is indeed a cultish phenomenon, it sets the bar high.  The WI one is .. fine.

I did go to the WI fair this year.  What I'd like to know is .. why do farmers go to fairs?

Going thru the livestock areas, you see these farm families, sitting around for hours and hours (and days?) watching all the city folk walk thru, or even sleeping there, amongst the cow poop and flies.   Is that fun?

I mean, I get it, it's kind of their business category's convention.  But it would seem that other conventions are waaaay more fun and interesting, and don't require what has to be a hassle of packing up animal(s) in trailers, moving them around, grooming them for the show (?) et cetera.   I get it if you're 12 and you raised Bessie and this is your idea of fun .. but the adult farmers? 

What's the payoff?

Cityslicker talk.

Farmers going to county fairs and advancing to state fairs is the central historical raison d' etre of state fairs.

It isnt strictly monetary....and thats the charm of it. Pride, socializing, awards, increase reputation and breeding income. A highly decorated bull generates semen fees of great value,..... but ultimately....like the quilts, jellies and pies....there is fun in just being the best.

My paralegal raised prized  horses for barrel races and she and her daughter spent mucho money and travel every weekend to small rodeos...there never was any profit in their expensive hobby...but 20 years later mom and daughter are still very close....a great personal payoff

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 05:55:19 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 07:18:47 PM »
Part of the problem with the Wisconsin State Fair is that it isn't located in a central location.  While putting it in the Milwaukee area makes sense because of population, its simply not convenient for a good portion of the state.

That, and most anyone past Waukesha is scared to come to the big, bad city. Probably doesn't help that we had that little riot (err...flash mob) at the State Fair a few years back. I'd love to know the county-by-county breakdown for the Wisconsin State Fair. I'd guess 90% of the attendees are from Milwaukee, Waukesha, Racine, Washington, Ozaukee, and Kenosha Counties. Other than the exhibitors, it's pretty much all city or city-suburb folk.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »
"A humble gathering of stoners..."

https://www.hempfest.org/

Washington has two fairs

Death on call

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 10:08:10 PM »
Cityslicker talk.

Farmers going to county fairs and advancing to state fairs is the central historical raison d' etre of state fairs.

It isnt strictly monetary....and thats the charm of it. Pride, socializing, awards, increase reputation and breeding income. A highly decorated bull generates semen fees of great value,..... but ultimately....like the quilts, jellies and pies....there is fun in just being the best.

And .. I get that, I guess.  But are all those cows, horses, pigs, goats, bunnies .. are they all entered in "best of" competitions?   (I would have guessed that only some of them are.)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 10:43:51 PM »
And .. I get that, I guess.  But are all those cows, horses, pigs, goats, bunnies .. are they all entered in "best of" competitions?   (I would have guessed that only some of them are.)

I have always wondered why humans choose the best cow, pig, and such.  Shouldn't the other cows, pigs, etc. choose?

feedback