'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: UW-Madison drops UW-Milwaukee  (Read 5649 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
UW-Madison drops UW-Milwaukee
« on: August 26, 2016, 03:34:14 PM »
Gone is the 4-1 series with UWM and UWGB. UW-Madison will never lower themselves to playing a road game at UWM or UWGB.  Of course, when MU does it, the horror!

Badgers men's basketball: Wisconsin will no longer play at UW-Milwaukee, UW-Green Bay http://host.madison.com/sports/college/basketball/men/article_8cf7dbcc-044f-5fe6-85b3-2e0bbd124536.html
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Nukem2

• All American
Re: UW-Madison drops UW-Milwaukee
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 03:36:13 PM »
Oh my, BB Fran will be horrified

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 05:12:51 PM »
This takes any negotiating power those schools had with us as well. I don't care what UWM and UWGB do, but they can't play the "UW-Madison plays at our gym" card. Could allow us to offer them as buy games going forward. That's the only way we should consider playing them.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 05:20:06 PM »
Well according to MUFNY and his very close sources, we will definitely be the ones filling that void left by the Badgers with a 3-1 deal.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 05:33:12 PM »
It's because they lost to UWM this year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 05:48:31 PM »
This takes any negotiating power those schools had with us as well. I don't care what UWM and UWGB do, but they can't play the "UW-Madison plays at our gym" card. Could allow us to offer them as buy games going forward. That's the only way we should consider playing them.
This is excellent news for us. It definitely brings UWM and UWGB to a more reasonable position. I still believe there is upside for us to scheduling these two at home in the period when the kids are out of school. For them they will get to play in our fancy new arena when it is built.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 08:47:03 PM »
Article makes it seem like Gard is driving the decision.  Can't blame him for taking the position.  Most years make me fine with a 4-1 if we could have gotten it, but if the scheduling improves to look more like this year than last, it won't be necessary to be making five year commitments with anyone.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 10:24:15 AM »
Might the BIG? expanding the conference season to 20 be a factor in this?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 10:33:22 AM »
Article makes it seem like Gard is driving the decision. 

I might be wrong, but I don't think UW played at Milwaukee or Green Bay prior to Bo (or Bennett?) being the coach, and I always thought it was a nod to the other state schools where both Bo and Bennett had their roots.

While Gard has those same roots, I think the 4-1 idea just isn't feasible for them any longer.  Just like for Marquette.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 09:46:14 PM »
I am sure papers all over the state will be saying how bad this is for basketball in the state of Wisconsin and how UW-Madison is "ducking" UWM.

::)

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 12:19:46 AM »
I still want an "all Wisconsin" early season tournament with the 4 D1 teams getting 2 games each and maybe incorporating the best 2 of the D3 teams.  It needs to alternate between Madison and Milwaukee.  I'd much rather see MU play UWSP / UWGB / Madison than Grambling State and Presbyterian.  This would be a sell-out every year.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 05:45:18 AM »
I still want an "all Wisconsin" early season tournament with the 4 D1 teams getting 2 games each and maybe incorporating the best 2 of the D3 teams.  It needs to alternate between Madison and Milwaukee.  I'd much rather see MU play UWSP / UWGB / Madison than Grambling State and Presbyterian.  This would be a sell-out every year.

Since Marquette didn't sell out the BC against UWM or UWGB, I fail to see how UWSP would be any better.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 05:47:55 AM »
Might the BIG? expanding the conference season to 20 be a factor in this?

That's not an official thing yet, is it?

Either way, it's definitely a reason why they wouldn't want to be locked in for two specific non-con games for the next five years.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 06:42:30 AM »

I'd agree if we're going to do exhibitions it should be against a UW-WW or UW-SP rather than msoe or St. John's MI but to say we should have those D3 schools in the regular season is wayyy out there.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 06:55:23 AM »
Some of you young guys might not know this.  As evidence of how truly far scheduling has come as a science, Marquette and Wisconsin used to play twice per year including the traditional home/home that remains on the schedule. 

In addition, UW traveled to Milwaukee EVERY year to participate in Marquette's Milwaukee Classic. I attended many of those holiday opening night doubleheaders where WI would open the night with their respective cupcake followed by the nightcap featuring Marquette and its victim.  Of course the goal was to have MU/WI face off for the championship the following night.  (I have this very vague recollection that one years somebody screwed up and didn't win that opening cupcake game.)

Bucky finally pulled out when Marquette refused to allow the Classic to rotate to Madison's court every other year.  thereafter, some rando 'quality' opponent filled the Badger slot but it was never the same.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 07:27:25 AM »

That is just an awful idea.  We already play Madison every year.  Milwaukee and Green Bay are in the same conference.  And D3 schools are basically good enough to be exhibition fodder and that's about it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 08:52:59 AM »

I might be wrong, but I don't think UW played at Milwaukee or Green Bay prior to Bo (or Bennett?) being the coach, and I always thought it was a nod to the other state schools where both Bo and Bennett had their roots.

While Gard has those same roots, I think the 4-1 idea just isn't feasible for them any longer.  Just like for Marquette.

It likely didn't start out this way, but this is most likely the reason it was happening just before it ended.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.