collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Does your state still teach cursive writing in the public schools?  (Read 2014 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Does your state still teach cursive writing in the public schools?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 12:48:33 PM »
I've seen a lot of articles in mental health literature suggesting that doing everything electronically increases stress, and that slowing down by doing things "the old fashioned way" decreases it. 

Necessary to teach cursive?  Maybe not.  Beneficial?  Maybe.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 01:29:12 PM »
Can't speak to public schools in MO but the private schools in our area teach cursive in the 3rd grade.  My oldest was in 3rd last year and I asked the question if it was relevant and, assuming not, wouldn't they be better served learning coding/computer skills.  The initial response from a teacher was essentially "the kids really like it".  Obviously that set me off on a number of fronts but also caused one of the administrators to jump in and talk about the overall language knowledge (spelling, grammar, vocabulary) levels of kids who learn cursive being higher than those that don't learn it (Politico article says it 'helps kids with cognitive learning').  She pointed out that until some more pervasive studies were done on this we don't know for sure but, until then, better to err on the side of teaching them the skill. 

To me that makes logical sense so i supported it.  The other reasons "kids like it, it's tradition, penmanship is important, historical docs are in cursive, etc" are BS and just people clinging to nostalgia (IMHO).

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 01:54:18 PM »
Can't speak to public schools in MO but the private schools in our area teach cursive in the 3rd grade.  My oldest was in 3rd last year and I asked the question if it was relevant and, assuming not, wouldn't they be better served learning coding/computer skills.  The initial response from a teacher was essentially "the kids really like it".  Obviously that set me off on a number of fronts but also caused one of the administrators to jump in and talk about the overall language knowledge (spelling, grammar, vocabulary) levels of kids who learn cursive being higher than those that don't learn it (Politico article says it 'helps kids with cognitive learning').  She pointed out that until some more pervasive studies were done on this we don't know for sure but, until then, better to err on the side of teaching them the skill. 

To me that makes logical sense so i supported it.  The other reasons "kids like it, it's tradition, penmanship is important, historical docs are in cursive, etc" are BS and just people clinging to nostalgia (IMHO).

They still teach in Connecticut but it's up to each school district locally.  Some districts do not teach at all.
My kids learned, but the school didn't spend a lot of time on.  The learn how to write all the letters in cursive, sign their name and did a small amount of practicing in sentences.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 02:12:46 PM »
My third grader loved learning it last year.     He doesn't use it, other than to sign his name.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 03:33:35 PM »
In Montessori schools cursive is taught first.  They say it is a more natural motion for young children.  My daughter could write cursive at 6
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 03:41:41 PM »

Agree with every bit of this.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 04:04:11 PM »
Unnecessary and unwanted in the STEM world. Ditch it.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 04:33:34 PM »
In Montessori schools cursive is taught first.  They say it is a more natural motion for young children.  My daughter could write cursive at 6
Yep, my kids are 12 and 10 and still attend a Montessori school.  It is also about fine motor skills and the progression of learning paper punching, sand paper letters, and so on.  It's more than just handwriting for handwritings sake.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 05:28:26 PM »
Unnecessary and unwanted in the STEM world. Ditch it.

I wish I had good penmanship and sometimes I struggle to read my own writing. My last 15 years working in clinical R&D most source documentation was cursive and those who had to "data enter it" into our databases always complained that the hardest part of their job was to decipher someone's cursive. So I do get your point. I do marvel at the exquisite penmanship of our founding fathers. I think it also develops good hand and eye coordination. As a boomer my keyboard skills are also wanting as in my day only girls took typing.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
4th grade standard in CA.

But I've had to use my own program as there isn't an adopted one by my district (that I know of).

TBH, I'd rather look at messy cursive than messy printing if I had to choose.
SS Marquette

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 11:18:05 PM »
The age old "you'll use this everyday for the rest of your lives" turned out to be only for English papers in the 4th grade.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 05:22:46 PM »
The age old "you'll use this everyday for the rest of your lives" turned out to be only for English papers in the 4th grade.

Lol. Exactly.

If it is determined to help develop other skills then fine. Otherwise ditch it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 05:48:49 PM »
"In fact, learning to write in cursive is shown to improve brain development in the areas of thinking, language and working memory. Cursive handwriting stimulates brain synapses and synchronicity between the left and right hemispheres, something absent from printing and typing.  As a result, the physical act of writing in cursive leads to increased comprehension and participation."

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/04/30/should-schools-require-children-to-learn-cursive/the-benefits-of-cursive-go-beyond-writing

feedback