[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:43:51 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by cheebs09
[Today at 10:52:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A Wojo, Crean and Buzz team  (Read 3469 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
A Wojo, Crean and Buzz team
« on: August 12, 2016, 12:01:52 PM »
I think we could describe a typical Crean or Buzz team as they were at Marquette a number of years.  Wojo it may be a bit early.  But how would you describe a Crean, Buzz and Wojo team?  Just trying to keep interest in MU BB during the deadtime.

🏀

• All American
Re: A Wojo, Crean and Buzz team
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 12:25:27 PM »
Crean - guard heavy, run a lot of top of the key weave led by a penetrating point guard
Buzz - wing heavy, dominated by paint touches from all positions, superb athletes all around
Wojo - balanced, deep threats necessary on the perimeter, work the blocks down low

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 12:29:43 PM »
I think Wojo also believes in paint touches. Like Buzz, Wojo wants to make more free throws than the other team takes. Crean and Buzz think deflections are important. I suspect Wojo does too, but I do not remember him saying so. Both Buzz and Wojo talked about assist to basket ratio. I do not remember Crean doing this.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 12:33:40 PM »
Like Buzz, Wojo wants to make more free throws than the other team takes.

So does every basketball coach who ever existed.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 01:36:23 PM »
Toughness and grit were definite trademarks of the Buzz teams and to a lesser extent the Crean teams. I have not seen that as much from Wojo's teams.

Wojo was raised on burgers. There is a difference in motivation for a burger boy versus an under the radar type guy. Buzz excelled in the "us against the world" junkyard dog mentality. I just haven't seen it from Wojo and it may be because his lineage stems from a blue blood that doesn't require as much of that type of mentality.

Wojo's teams really haven't had a clear cut identity that I have seen.

As a completely disconnected aside, Balvenie 15 Single Barrel may be my favorite Scotch of all time. A shame it was discontinued. I bet Wojo drinks Balvenie 15 single barrel. Crean probably drinks Johnny Walker Blue, because that is Crean. Buzz I would presume drinks only sweet tea and then tells marvelous, meandering stories about how humbly amazing he is for avoiding Scotch altogether.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 01:44:42 PM »
Crean- Karate suits
Buzz- Blue collars
Wojo- White T Shirts
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 01:46:30 PM »
Crean: Well-prepared. Team knew what was expected and what the gameplan was. Guard play was always a strength. Beat teams on talent and tactics. Lost to teams on talent and tactical adjustments.

Buzz: Hard workers. Always put forth the most effort. Streaky teams, but rarely out of a game because they could always put together a run. Wing play and playing bigger than their size was always a strength. Beat teams on effort, energy, and strength. Lost to teams when effort wasn't enough, but rarely by a large margin.

Wojo: Smart players, gym rats. Technically the highest level of player we've seen brought in this generation. Know the gameplan and do the right thing. Thus far, guard and wing play both seem to be strengths. Win on tactics and execution. Lose to teams that are physically stronger or are able to simply out-execute them.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 01:47:51 PM »
Toughness and grit were definite trademarks of the Buzz teams and to a lesser extent the Crean teams. I have not seen that as much from Wojo's teams.

Wojo was raised on burgers. There is a difference in motivation for a burger boy versus an under the radar type guy. Buzz excelled in the "us against the world" junkyard dog mentality. I just haven't seen it from Wojo and it may be because his lineage stems from a blue blood that doesn't require as much of that type of mentality.

Wojo's teams really haven't had a clear cut identity that I have seen.

As a completely disconnected aside, Balvenie 15 Single Barrel may be my favorite Scotch of all time. A shame it was discontinued. I bet Wojo drinks Balvenie 15 single barrel. Crean probably drinks Johnny Walker Blue, because that is Crean. Buzz I would presume drinks only sweet tea and then tells marvelous, meandering stories about how humbly amazing he is for avoiding Scotch altogether.

Avoiding sweet tea althougher was one of the admonitions to Buzz when he pulled off the great weight loss caper.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 01:49:22 PM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 03:22:21 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 03:23:23 PM »
Crean sucks
That echo is getting louder.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 06:22:20 PM »

Regarding more free throws made than the other team takes, I am sure your statement is a true statement. However, we were talking about coaching styles. One of the reasons to take the ball inside is to draw fouls and both Wojo and Buzz frequently cited this statistic. Bo's UW teams concentrated on playing defense without fouling. The result might of been the same in that UW made more free throws than their opponents, but the emphasis was different. UW emphasized playing defense without fouling and I am sure that every coach would want that to happen. Buzz emphasized drawing fouls and I am sure every coach would also want that to happen.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 07:22:56 PM »
ND sucks.

real chili 83

• All American
Re: A Wojo, Crean and Buzz tea
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 07:25:44 PM »
Like Buzz, Wojo wants to make more free throws than the other team takes.

More importantly, Wojo wants to score more points than the other team.

8-)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 07:55:19 PM »

Paul Westhead?  ;)

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 11:15:17 AM »
Crean's team to a degree and Buzz's teams always played tough defense. Haven't seen that attitude yet on Wojo teams. Tough D wins games. Hope we see it this year