[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: ESPN ignores MU in list of top Big East newcomers  (Read 10246 times)

Marcus92

• All American
ESPN ignores MU in list of top Big East newcomers
« on: August 11, 2016, 05:21:53 PM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17262809/top-newcomers-big-east-conference-2016-2017

Myron Medcalf's top 5 newcomers to the conference include:

Marcus Foster, Creighton
Omari Spellman, Villanova
Miles Powell, Seton Hall
RaShid Gaston, Xavier
Kethan Savage, Butler

No Andrew Rowsey. No Katin Reinhardt. No Markus Howard. No Sam Hauser.

This could be a sign of just how much talent the Big East is adding this year, a question about just how good our new players are, or a general lack of respect for Marquette coming off a bottom-half conference finish — or all of the above.

Here's hoping that's one more chip on the team's shoulder going into the season.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

real chili 83

• All American
Re: ESPN ignores MU in list of top Big East newcomers
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 05:30:13 PM »
Early submission for Chick's name contest...Kethan Savage.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 11:17:27 PM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17262809/top-newcomers-big-east-conference-2016-2017

Myron Medcalf's top 5 newcomers to the conference include:

Marcus Foster, Creighton
Omari Spellman, Villanova
Miles Powell, Seton Hall
RaShid Gaston, Xavier
Kethan Savage, Butler

No Andrew Rowsey. No Katin Reinhardt. No Markus Howard. No Sam Hauser.

This could be a sign of just how much talent the Big East is adding this year, a question about just how good our new players are, or a general lack of respect for Marquette coming off a bottom-half conference finish — or all of the above.

Here's hoping that's one more chip on the team's shoulder going into the season.

Or it could be a sign that Myron is a dope.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 11:09:53 AM »
Myrons classic response to MU fans when they criticize him "guys I'm from Milwaukee so I know Marquette. I just don't think they're good"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »
Or it could be a sign that Myron is a dope.

Bingo!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 11:28:09 AM »
Myrons classic response to MU fans when they criticize him "guys I'm from Milwaukee so I know Marquette. I just don't think they're good"

He is entitled to his opinion. After all, it is an opinion piece. And guess what, we have not been good the last few years.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 12:37:04 PM »
It may just be not understanding the makeup of the team. MU Has Carter (pg) Wilson (2g), JJJ (2&3), Cheatham (1,2 & 3), Cohen (3) returning. In theory Rowsey. Howard, Reinhardt and Hauser also play those positions. Therefore, if they cannot beat out one of the returnees there is no way they can be one of the top 5 impact newcomers. What it does not recognize is Reinhardt or Hauser may end up starting at the four, which then gives them the opportunity to be an impact player. The other possibility is that he does not see any of these players as impact players at the four.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 12:40:12 PM »
He is entitled to his opinion. After all, it is an opinion piece. And guess what, we have not been good the last few years.

He wrote the article I was referring to about the Elite 8 team that was a big east champion. It was something like names you don't often see in March or emerging programs or something.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 01:42:34 PM »
Marcus Foster and Kethan Savages numbers might look good at first glance, but those advanced stats doe....

And how Myles Powell makes this list over grad transfers Katin Reinhardt and Rodney Pryor is beyond me. Sure a barely top 100 freshman is likely to outperform two of the top five grad transfers this season. Sounds like Myron logic. Also, Eric Paschall for Nova?

Gaston and Spellman are solid picks though

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 01:57:42 PM »
I'm with Medcalf. I'll believe our guys are good when I see it on the court. Not before.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 02:01:18 PM »
I'm with Medcalf. I'll believe our guys are good when I see it on the court. Not before.

Yeah...but that's an inherently flawed argument because we haven't seen any of these guys on the court, ours or the others he included. To make a best newcomers list, you have to include guys you haven't yet seen on the court.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 02:17:33 PM »
Marcus Foster and Kethan Savages numbers might look good at first glance, but those advanced stats doe....

And how Myles Powell makes this list over grad transfers Katin Reinhardt and Rodney Pryor is beyond me. Sure a barely top 100 freshman is likely to outperform two of the top five grad transfers this season. Sounds like Myron logic. Also, Eric Paschall for Nova?

Gaston and Spellman are solid picks though

Pryor will disappoint this year.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 02:18:49 PM »
No need for nuance here. Medcalf sucks.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 02:50:34 PM »
Early submission for Chick's name contest...Kethan Savage.

Sounds like a wacky morning DJ duo:

"You're listening to Keith and Savage on WDSH - The Douche!"
Have some patience, FFS.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 03:25:47 PM »

So, the guys in the other programs are good before they hit the court but not our guys?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 07:12:30 AM »

Prove him wrong!

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 11:19:55 AM »

Having watched him this summer I would be shocked if he wasn't at least 2nd team all BE. He's a stud. I know it's only summer league play, but he was dominant. Yes I know I'm a homer, but he's going to be very good for us next year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 12:22:46 PM »

Just like James Farr eh?  8-)

I remember you said that you watched him in high school. While I think he will certainly disappoint the expectations that Georgetown fans have set for them, you don't average 18.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.4 spg, and 0.9 bpg without having some talent. I think he'll be a solid starter for Georgetown. Their biggest question is who plays the point for them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 12:44:59 PM »
Just like James Farr eh?  8-)

I remember you said that you watched him in high school. While I think he will certainly disappoint the expectations that Georgetown fans have set for them, you don't average 18.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.4 spg, and 0.9 bpg without having some talent. I think he'll be a solid starter for Georgetown. Their biggest question is who plays the point for them.

Always struggled playing against bigger and stronger guys. I actually really like his skill set. He played on the same team as Quention Cheevious in high school and although Cheevious got most of the fan fare and articles, always thought Pryor was the better player.

That being said, it's going to be a major adjustment coming to the Big East. He's not gonna be a Damion Lee.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 01:35:44 PM »
Always struggled playing against bigger and stronger guys. I actually really like his skill set. He played on the same team as Quention Cheevious in high school and although Cheevious got most of the fan fare and articles, always thought Pryor was the better player.

That being said, it's going to be a major adjustment coming to the Big East. He's not gonna be a Damion Lee.

Is that a real name?

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2016, 02:16:47 PM »

Disagree. He put up solid numbers against major conference opponents:

2016:
22pts, 8 rbds, 1 assist, 4 steals, 1 blk against Georgia
17 pts, 3 rbds against Cincinnati

2015:
23pts 5 rbds against Duke in the NCAA tournament.
7 pts, 9 rbds, 3 assists, 1 stl against Clemson
16 pts, 5 rbds, 2 assists against Georgetown
9 pts, 3 rbds, 1 blk, 1 stl against UNC

So avg 16pts against high major opponents.

He was much more efficient in his first year at Robert Morris and I expect him to look a lot more like those numbers with more talent around him than he had at Robbert Morris. Shot 43% from 3 in 2015 so I expect his efficiency to go up as he'll take a smaller % of shots than he took at Robert Morris and if he shoots closer to his 2015 mark than his 2016 mark 29%.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2016, 02:33:09 PM »
Okay, just don't be surprised when he puts up numbers very similar to Trent Lockett.

Which dont get me wrong, he still had an excellent season, but people here thought Lockett would come in averaging 16 a game, and he came from a much better program in Arizona St. Be happy with the 12 and 5 you're likely going to get with him with as you said, good effienecy numbers.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2016, 05:53:05 PM »
Okay, just don't be surprised when he puts up numbers very similar to Trent Lockett.

Which dont get me wrong, he still had an excellent season, but people here thought Lockett would come in averaging 16 a game, and he came from a much better program in Arizona St. Be happy with the 12 and 5 you're likely going to get with him with as you said, good effienecy numbers.

Not expecting any more than that, I don't expect him to score as much as he did at Robert Morris. I would be very happy with 12 and 5. We have lots of weapons in addition to Pryor. I believe the offense will be much quicker and free flowing and you'll see more transition game that will play to the strength of our roster. Pryor won't need to score 16 a night for us.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2016, 08:26:14 PM »
Is that a real name?

Real name, but spelled wrong, I believe. Should be Quentin Chievous.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2016, 09:55:46 PM »

Your talent for walking backwards is impressive. Must be all the practice.