[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Which Players To Buy, Sell For Marquette Basketball  (Read 6304 times)

mubbnation

• Walk-On
Which Players To Buy, Sell For Marquette Basketball
« on: August 11, 2016, 05:21:23 PM »
I wrote an article about which players I'd buy, sell, or hold for the upcoming season.

Full article: https://marquettenation.com/2016/08/11/which-players-to-buy-sell-for-marquette-basketball/

Buy = Markus, JjJ, Katin, Sandy (risky).

Sell = Rowsey, Hauser, Duane, Heldt.

Hold = Luke, Haanif, Traci, Sacar.

What do you guys think? What are your picks?

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Which Players To Buy, Sell For Marquette Basketball
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 05:42:45 PM »
I wrote an article about which players I'd buy, sell, or hold for the upcoming season.

Full article: https://marquettenation.com/2016/08/11/which-players-to-buy-sell-for-marquette-basketball/

Buy = Markus, JjJ, Katin, Sandy (risky).

Sell = Rowsey, Hauser, Duane, Heldt.

Hold = Luke, Haanif, Traci, Sacar.

What do you guys think? What are your picks?

Buy: Howard, Haanif, Rowsey, Hauser, Katin (these are all relative to expectations, not our 4 best players)

Sell: Duane, Sandy, Heldt, Sacar, JJJ (again and key, relative to expectations)

Hold: Traci, Luke
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 05:59:29 PM »
No one expects Rousey to do what he did at his prior school. I would have him as a buy, if you compare him to Thomas. He should exceed what Thomas did.
Heldt buy
Anim buy
Reinhardt hold
Duane buy
JJJ buy
Hauser buy (maybe because he might get more playing time because of lack of bodies at the four.
Carter buy
Fischer hold I think he will miss Henry
Howard sell. You are right that he is not your typical freshmen, because he should still be in high school. I do not think he gets the opportunity at playing time that Hauser will. I do think Howard will be very good, but he has to fight a boatload of guards for playing time and overcome his youth.
Cheatham hold I think he will miss Henry
Cohen buy His ability to play defense will get him more time at 4 then he should play.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 06:04:40 PM »
Hold 'em all.

They're all Warriors, dammit!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

fjm

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 06:11:17 PM »
Hold 'em all.

They're all Warriors, dammit!

This guy!!! 100% agree. They are all here for a reason.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 07:15:40 PM »

Is there a Point to this thread?
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 07:17:40 PM »
Hold them all.    Going to need them all. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 08:45:26 PM »

Is there a Point to this thread?

I think people aren't understanding the buy/hold/sell concept.  If you read the article...

"“Buy” means the player will produce better than their value. “Sell” means the player will produce less than their value. “Hold” means the player will produce similar to their value."

I am assuming "value" means "expectations."  So you would buy a stock if you think they will outperform to expectations, sell if you think they underperform and hold if they perform about as expected.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »

I think people aren't understanding the buy/hold/sell concept.  If you read the article...

"“Buy” means the player will produce better than their value. “Sell” means the player will produce less than their value. “Hold” means the player will produce similar to their value."

I am assuming "value" means "expectations."  So you would buy a stock if you think they will outperform to expectations, sell if you think they underperform and hold if they perform about as expected.

Thanks

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 12:55:59 AM »
What makes this difficult is it's hard to assign expectations to guys who've never played here. Oh well, here goes:

Buy: Howard, Rowsey, Johnson, Cohen, Cheatham

I think Jajuan and Cheatham will be studs, better than last year. Howard I expect to get meaningful minutes while providing an offensive pop. I think Rowsey will be close to starter minutes while scoring double figures and being an absolute fan favorite. I list Sandy because it seems most people think he'll vanish, but as our only real experienced forward, he'll play.

Sell: Hauser, Duane, Anim

Too much competition at Duane's position. Hauser will be good, but I think it'll take a year to adjust. Anim I simply didn't see enough to be a believer. Athletic, yes, but not sure he's a basketball player yet.

Hold: Reinhardt, Fischer, Carter, Heldt

Reinhardt could be one of our best players, but isn't that the expectation? I also expect he'll be behind our proven commodities in JJ & Cheatham. Fischer is what he is, solid, borderline all conference big, but probably not more than 14/7. Carter will play, but more competition will prevent him from fully breaking through. Heldt will become a bit more reliable and get regular minutes, but still be a clear backup.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 07:35:34 AM »

That is exactly the way I saw it. Reality vs. expectations. That is why I am selling Howard. Many here thinks he is going to start. I think he will not. I have Hauser as a buy, because I think he has a good chance of starting. I also think Howard is better than Hauser, but it does not matter if you do not get enough playing time. Looking at MU history a lot of very good MU point guards did not start as a freshmen.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 08:29:34 AM »
My thoughts...

Duane:  BUY.  People are down on him.  I think he has a good year.

Luke:  BUY.  Not expecting a huge jump, but a good value.

Heldt:  BUY.  Showed some promise last year.  I think he becomes a nice backup.

Traci:  BUY.  He won't be losing the minutes some people think.

Haanif:  SELL.  Very good player but I am expecting him to level off this next year and not take the jump many are expecting.

Rowsey:  SELL.  I'm not convinced that he will be the player people project him to be.  Still solid.

Sandy:  SELL.  I think he's lost in this rotation.

Hauser:  SELL.  If my time horizon was two or three years out, this is a buy.  I think he just gets lost in the rotation similar to Heldt last year.

Howard:  HOLD.  I think he will be solid but not a better freshman than Haanif was.

Katin:  HOLD.  Solid.  More like Lockett than Carlino.

JJJ:  HOLD.  Not sure he's going to be the breakout super star that some believe.

Sacar:  HOLD.  Pretty much the same as last year.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 08:34:34 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4XEq6XYtMVU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4XEq6XYtMVU</a>

Damnit Rocky, pay the damn bill for the video embeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XEq6XYtMVU

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 08:39:18 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 08:52:03 AM »

I understand just fine.

The concept is silly, even for August.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 08:55:51 AM »
Duane - SELL. Have heard less than encouraging things about his performance at practice.

Hauser - SELL. Expectations seem to be pretty high for him but he's a freshman that will take time to adjust.

Anim. SELL. He's got the physical tools of a forward and the body of a guard, not sure he's figured himself out yet.

Haanif. SELL. People are talking about him like he's the second coming. He'll be solid but I think he is 3rd or 4th fiddle on this team.

Sandy. HOLD. Heard some encouraging things about his performance at practice but is still behind. Will play due to size.

Luke. HOLD. I expect him to be one the best big men in the BEast. But he'll never carry a team.

JJJ. HOLD. I think he's going to be really really good. But not the all American done think he's going to become.

Reinhardt. HOLD. Think he will be one of our top two players this season. His lack of rebounding will keep him from being the best.

Howard. BUY. This is purely for my respect of JBs eye for talent. When he gets this much wood for a recruit, the kids is usually really good.

Rowsey. BUY. Heard from multiple places that he was the best guard in practice last year. Will take many by surprise. Or own personal Routnei Clark. Maybe he'll hit a circus shot game winner in Maui next year

Carter. BUY. This is mostly out of low expectations. Many think he will disappear. Ip think he's the only true PG on the roster.

Heldt. BUY. One person I trust told me he expects 6 points and 4 rebounds a game from Heldt this season. Still not sure I believe it but I think he will be a solid backup to Luke. With at least one breakout game that will leave many with backup center syndrome.

So I picked our three PGs as buys...guess we're going small!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 09:07:24 AM »
I understand just fine.

The concept is silly, even for August.

I like it.  You don't have to participate.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 09:11:50 AM »

I like it.  You don't have to participate.

You're right. I won't bother anybody again.

At least not in this thread!

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 08:49:25 PM »
My thoughts...

Duane:  BUY.  People are down on him.  I think he has a good year.

Luke:  BUY.  Not expecting a huge jump, but a good value.

Heldt:  BUY.  Showed some promise last year.  I think he becomes a nice backup.

Traci:  BUY.  He won't be losing the minutes some people think.

Haanif:  SELL.  Very good player but I am expecting him to level off this next year and not take the jump many are expecting.

Rowsey:  SELL.  I'm not convinced that he will be the player people project him to be.  Still solid.

Sandy:  SELL.  I think he's lost in this rotation.

Hauser:  SELL.  If my time horizon was two or three years out, this is a buy.  I think he just gets lost in the rotation similar to Heldt last year.

Howard:  HOLD.  I think he will be solid but not a better freshman than Haanif was.

Katin:  HOLD.  Solid.  More like Lockett than Carlino.

JJJ:  HOLD.  Not sure he's going to be the breakout super star that some believe.

Sacar:  HOLD.  Pretty much the same as last year.

This is what I think also, with two modifications. 

Hauser:  Buy (if we are looking at national expectations).  I think he plays a big role for us and maybe makes the BEAST all-freshman team.  Sell (if we are looking at traditional MU fan illogical expectations).

Sandy:  Hold.  I think he plays to expectations (not very high) this year and makes a big jump for us his Senior year and surprises everyone.  If we are looking at stock picks, I would almost go Buy here (long term), buy now low profit as a Senior.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 01:29:47 AM »

Bonnie Tyler and I are ..Holding

feedback