[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A couple of tidbits  (Read 15176 times)

real chili 83

• All American
A couple of tidbits
« on: August 03, 2016, 05:02:39 PM »
First, in the category of yesterday's news, Wally has picked up enough credits to graduate this summer.  Although he has eligibility, he's not coming back for fall track.  Speculation is that he wants to be a grad transfer and play basketball, which is his first love. 

Wally seems to have been most accomplished in track when he red shirted in bball, and focused in track. 

Howard is fitting in extremely well with the team, and has made up for lost time due to Team USA obligations.  He's also very young.  Most of his teammates on Team USA returned to go back to high school. If I'm not mistaken, he was the only one to be moving on to college after Team USA.  Along with being young, his physical presence is more elite HS level.  That said, this young man will be an incredible 4 year contributor when he graduates. 

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: A couple of tidbits
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 05:05:09 PM »
Sounds good. Thanks for the updates. Congrats to Wally on graduating.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 07:22:53 PM »
Hope Wally finds a good fit somewhere.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 09:11:04 PM »
Great news about Wally graduating. I hope he finds a place to play his final year of eligibility. I think he will be an attractive addition to a mid or low major. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 09:41:54 PM »
Great news about Wally graduating. I hope he finds a place to play his final year of eligibility. I think he will be an attractive addition to a mid or low major.
Completely agree - Dayton is going to be a great fit for him.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 09:59:48 PM »

---------;;;;;;a------

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 10:01:05 PM »

Unexpected Dayton slams always make me chuckle.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 03:10:05 AM »
Thanks for the update Chili.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 05:58:52 AM »

This. This is the essence.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 06:38:18 AM »
Much bigger point (or, actually, smaller point) RC 83's post.   'his physical presence is more elite HS level.'    Sounds like Traci is working him over and will probably start.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 06:50:29 AM »
Much bigger point (or, actually, smaller point) RC 83's post.   'his physical presence is more elite HS level.'    Sounds like Traci is working him over and will probably start.

This isnt too surprising to me. 

Our whole team needs to get stronger and yet HS elite physical presence is still a jump to what it takes to have acceptable college physical presence.

Time for boot camp.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:04:58 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 07:27:22 AM »

Of course.  And as many have said, Howard may get many of his minutes playing the #2.  his shooting skills will come in handy.  I fully expect Traci to be the PG and to start most games.  What I think we do know is that the Hanni PG experiment is over.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 08:18:46 AM »
I think Howard cuts into Duane's minutes more than Traci's. Especially if Howard is hitting the 3 and Duane is not.

Was Howard playing point for USA? When I saw his high school game, he was mostly off the ball. I wonder if Wojo goes with Cheatham at backup point due to more experience, or if Howard is the backup.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 08:25:55 AM »
There's still room for him to improve, but strength-wise Markus is as close to college-ready as you can get, especially for a 17 year old. I have no worries about him holding up physically. Natural leader, charismatic, just a great kid from everything I've heard. He and Sam have really hit it off as well. Hoping for some good pick and pop chemistry between the two of them.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 08:38:55 AM »
There's still room for him to improve, but strength-wise Markus is as close to college-ready as you can get, especially for a 17 year old. I have no worries about him holding up physically. Natural leader, charismatic, just a great kid from everything I've heard. He and Sam have really hit it off as well. Hoping for some good pick and pop chemistry between the two of them.

+1.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 08:45:20 AM »
Howard is fitting in extremely well with the team, and has made up for lost time due to Team USA obligations.  He's also very young.  Most of his teammates on Team USA returned to go back to high school. If I'm not mistaken, he was the only one to be moving on to college after Team USA. Along with being young, his physical presence is more elite HS level.  That said, this young man will be an incredible 4 year contributor when he graduates.

Not only is that accurate, about half the team is headed back to high school for their junior year.  Howard won't even turn 18 until the last week of the 2016-17 regular season.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 08:53:31 AM »
Not only is that accurate, about half the team is headed back to high school for their junior year.  Howard won't even turn 18 until the last week of the 2016-17 regular season.

And this is why you almost never, ever count on a freshmen to provide significant capability and be a savior especially at PG, see last year's team.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 08:54:21 AM »

Ners was called in to consult on his dunks.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 11:16:15 AM »

I'm hearing the same.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 01:01:03 PM »
Great stuff Real, good news all around, thanks.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 01:28:31 PM »
I'm a moron.  Forgot about Hanni & Rowsley.  My point was experience will play.

I would have no problem with a staring line up of:

TC
DW
JJJ

Katin
Luke

Those are 5 vets and we come of the bench with:

Sandy (Hustle)
Marcus & Sam (3's)
Matt (Fouls)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 05:10:31 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2016, 01:31:32 PM »

TC
DW
JJJ

Katin
Luke

Sandy (Hustle)
Marcus & Sam (3's)
Matt (Fouls)

No Rowsey?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 01:35:27 PM »

Unexpected Dayton slams always make me chuckle.

I visited Cincinnati en route to reunion weekend.  My kids ended up with Cincy Bearcat t-shirts as our hotel was next to the university.  At Marquette, I had to ask the girl behind the Info Desk in the Union a question.  My kids had their UC shirts on.  She was from Ohio apparently and then starting asking my kids Cincinnati questions and for some reason mentioned the University of Dayton before we explained we're from Connecticut.  After walking away from the Info Desk, I said to my kids "Anyone but Dayton."  They thought it funny and would repeatedly tell me over the course of the weekend, "Dad, anyone but Dayton, right?"  I chuckled everytime.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2016, 01:37:42 PM »

TC
DW
JJJ

Katin
Luke

Sandy (Hustle)
Marcus & Sam (3's)
Matt (Fouls)

I would.  Big time.  Book it, short of injury Hanni is starting every game this year and probably for the rest of his MU career.  Dude was first team all Big East newcomer.  He actually may be our best player this year if he makes the usual Frosh to Soph jump.  And I concur with Rowsey.  He's playing meaningful minutes.

Truth be told, Hanni and Rowsey are the reason Duane needs to elevate his game.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:42:19 PM by jsglow »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2016, 01:50:49 PM »
I would.  Big time.  Book it, short of injury Hanni is starting every game this year and probably for the rest of his MU career.  Dude was first team all Big East newcomer.  He actually may be our best player this year if he makes the usual Frosh to Soph jump.  And I concur with Rowsey.  He's playing meaningful minutes.

Truth be told, Hanni and Rowsey are the reason Duane needs to elevate his game.

Frankly, that's both the best and worst thing about this team. I can easily see 10 guys, Carter, Howard, Wilson, Cheatham, Johnson, Rowsey, Reinhardt, Cohen, Heldt, and Fischer all being worthy of meaningful minutes. I also wouldn't be shocked if Anim on the basis of work ethic and improvement and Hauser on the basis of size and deep shooting are pushing hard to get their way on to the floor as well. So yeah...that's the whole roster that could very well be worthy of playing time, but obviously the downside to that is there's only so much time to go around.

Okay...I fibbed a bit...the worst thing is still the question of who's going to rebound the ball, especially on the defensive end.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback