[Today at 06:37:13 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How much of a contribution to MU is necessary to Bring Back Warrior Name ?

$50 Million
11 (19.3%)
$100 Million
9 (15.8%)
$150 Million
2 (3.5%)
$200 Million
35 (61.4%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Poll: What Price To Bring Back Warrior Name  (Read 14719 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Poll: What Price To Bring Back Warrior Name
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2016, 07:25:13 PM »
1. Giving Up Football Program
2. Giving Up Medical School
3. Not Closing Wisconsin Avenue
4. Giving up Warrior Name

Mistakes?
1. Was bankrupting the Athletic Department.
2. Would have bankrupted the University.
3. Would have bankrupted the University.
4. Didn't have to happen, if MU committed to a an alternate to Native American imagry.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2016, 07:43:49 PM »
Correct.

Let's rather look at Marquette's outstanding contribution to the 11th Street bypass (it was actually our idea) that created 'the wiggle' and the 11th street ped mall.  BTW, same thing will be happening on 18th between WI and Wells pursuant to new res hall development.

Wasn't the original interchange plan to knock tower down?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2016, 07:46:27 PM »
Not always the pedestrian's fault.
No crap--can't tell you how many times I've seen drivers not stop, not sure what to do, one driver stops one doesn't, or slamming of the brakes.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2016, 08:48:04 PM »
Mistakes?
1. Was bankrupting the Athletic Department.
2. Would have bankrupted the University.
3. Would have bankrupted the University.
4. Didn't have to happen, if MU committed to a an alternate to Native American imagry.
1. Disagree with this analysis
2. Disagree with this analysis
3. Disagree with this analysis
3. I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2016, 08:59:29 PM »

You can knock me down, but I will just get back up. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2016, 10:23:15 AM »
I like the old TallTitan34 avatar. Titan, would you mind re-posting that?

I would go for "Marquette Warriors" using the Golden Eagle mascot. You honor both parts of the tradition, and immediately replace the Indian imagery. Everybody's happy. Or put another way, everybody's a little unhappy.

Never give up hope.

This is what I would like them to do as well.  Warrior name, eagle mascot.

Here is the logo for you Henry:

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2016, 12:11:49 PM »
Last night TWC's WI sports channel replayed the 1994 MU-Kentucky game.  I was relishing in the fact that they were referring to the Warriors the whole game, while beating KU as well.

Then, during the last minute, Vern Lundquist kicked me in the gut when he said, something about "the Warriors...which, by the way, they won't be called after this season".  Ripped open the scab.

Side note, Jim Burr reffed the game and had at least one point where he pulled aside another ref and had a 20 second conversation, then when back to his position with no explanation to anyone.  I didn't realize that was always his thing, even when he had darker hair.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2016, 12:28:49 PM »
I don't understand why people just didn't vote for Hilltoppers back when they called for a vote. I actually really like that nickname.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »
I don't understand why people just didn't vote for Hilltoppers back when they called for a vote. I actually really like that nickname.

People found it insulting that they would take a vote on a name change and not include the Warriors.  But I agree, Hilltoppers is a good name.  It's not the Warriors, but it's certainly better than the Gold/Golden Eagles.  As is the Jumping Jesuits.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2016, 12:42:20 PM »

I don't think it was ever a real vote. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks they picked the name that finished last in voting so people would beg just to get the Golden Eagles back.

I actually didn't mind Gold as a name. Its unique. Would have preferred Hilltoppers or Jumping Jesuits though. I like Golden Eagles but I just wish it was more unique. Way too many schools that use our mascot.

Of course, wish we could have gone back to the Warriors. Loved the idea someone had about using Joan of Arc as the mascot. Lot of history and campus connections in that idea. But I understand why the University felt like they couldn't.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2016, 01:28:54 PM »

Vote split 3 ways....lot of alums wrote in Warriors even though it explicitly said it wouldn't be counted leaving (probably mostly the "young") alumni to vote for no change and the rest to vote Hilltoppers with a few scattered "others".

If MU had been smart(no one has ever accused them of that) they would have run the vote in such a way that alumni could protest for Warriors but still get a secondary choice...in that scenario I have little doubt that Hilltoppers win. By doing that, it would have blunted a ton of future angst because while warriors wouldn't come back there would be a path to move forward together. Oh well.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2016, 02:38:13 PM »

I don't believe so.  The original plan had huge traffic counts going down the old 11th Street.  Recall that there had been no on ramp to I-94 (either direction) as part of the old interchange.  When that was appropriately included in the proposed layout, it was clear that local traffic counts would skyrocket at 11th & WI.

Dr. Peters served directly on the Marquette Interchange commission.  I don't know who exactly came up with the cantilevered configuration that was ultimately developed (note that 11th now 'hangs' in the air over the highway below) but Marquette was absolutely insistent that it be created once the engineering proved that it was feasible.  Other than cost, I don't think anyone on the commission disagreed.  It's actually an excellent design.

Plans for 18th are similar in terms of the creation of a dedicated driveway with retractable pillars to be lowered for vehicle access in an emergency and at move in/out.   I have been told 12th is NEVER a candidate for reconfiguration as it serves as a primary route to the Mt. Sinai emergency room.  I believe, but am not certain, that 13th is squarely in the maybe someday camp and they still need something better for Shamu now that the new Jes Res is complete.   

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2016, 02:47:17 PM »
I don't think it was ever a real vote. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks they picked the name that finished last in voting so people would beg just to get the Golden Eagles back.

I actually didn't mind Gold as a name. Its unique. Would have preferred Hilltoppers or Jumping Jesuits though. I like Golden Eagles but I just wish it was more unique. Way too many schools that use our mascot.

I think you're confusing two events.  Gold came about from the BOT after $2MM "Warriors" offer, and a subsequent survey which indicated alumni didn't like GE's.  The vote came about after Gold flopped, and the BOT still needed a name.

But yes, after the BOT said Warriors wasn't an option, I don't think the vote really mattered much.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2016, 02:52:17 PM »
I think you're confusing two events. Gold came about from the BOT after $2MM "Warriors" offer, and a subsequent survey which indicated alumni didn't like GE's.  The vote came about after Gold flopped, and the BOT still needed a name.

But yes, after the BOT said Warriors wasn't an option, I don't think the vote really mattered much.

Correct.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2016, 03:56:48 PM »

I seem to remember there was a 2-stage process to get all the back to where we started...to me the result said that people didn't care what we were called if we couldn't be the Warriors.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2016, 04:03:02 PM »
I seem to remember there was a 2-stage process to get all the back to where we started...to me the result said that people didn't care what we were called if we couldn't be the Warriors.

It was a two stage process.  Golden Eagles and Hilltoppers were the final two.

Here is a summary.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/news/story?id=2097051

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2016, 04:16:41 PM »
I think you're confusing two events.  Gold came about from the BOT after $2MM "Warriors" offer, and a subsequent survey which indicated alumni didn't like GE's.  The vote came about after Gold flopped, and the BOT still needed a name.

Huh, my mistake. Vote happened before my time at Marquette. Also thought Gold was the poll result.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2016, 04:32:27 PM »

It was a two stage process.  Golden Eagles and Hilltoppers were the final two.

Here is a summary.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/news/story?id=2097051

My favorite quote

The school rejected the trustees' offer and this spring announced a switch from Golden Eagles to Gold, which was strongly opposed by students and alumni because they weren't consulted.

I think a more accurate description would be "...because they thought it was stupid"

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2016, 07:47:56 AM »
Money, the root of evil, what the Jesuits inspire us to be wary of, what to some of the oldest Americans was  wampum. I remember Willie somewhat fondly but I come from newer American stock. Let's keep him in the more remote corners of Marquette history.
The Golden Eagle has landed and so it will stay.   

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2016, 08:10:25 AM »
Money, the root of evil, what the Jesuits inspire us to be wary of, what to some of the oldest Americans was  wampum. I remember Willie somewhat fondly but I come from newer American stock. Let's keep him in the more remote corners of Marquette history.
The Golden Eagle has landed and so it will stay.   

Multiple things here:
-Except for maybe a few fringe nobody is advocating bring Warriors back with any Native American imagery let alone with Willie
-The Jesuits took money in the first place to change away from Warriors
-New American stock? what does this even mean in this context?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2016, 08:16:14 AM »
My favorite quote

The school rejected the trustees' offer and this spring announced a switch from Golden Eagles to Gold, which was strongly opposed by students and alumni because they weren't consulted.

I think a more accurate description would be "...because they thought it was stupid"

Ya'll all know that there was one person on the BOT (who shall remain nameless) that pushed for Gold.  The rest were mind numbed sheep.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2016, 08:33:33 AM »
Based on what I read in here, I'd add these:
1) Going cheap in the 1980s and not hiring Denny Crum when they allegedly had the chance in 1977.

1st I've ever heard of this; anybody got more info on if this is actually true?
GO WARRIORS!

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2016, 08:34:57 AM »
Ya'll all know that there was one person on the BOT (who shall remain nameless) that pushed for Gold.  The rest were mind numbed sheep.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2016, 08:38:04 AM »
Plans for 18th are similar in terms of the creation of a dedicated driveway with retractable pillars to be lowered for vehicle access in an emergency and at move in/out.   

Given that they just removed the retractable pillars by Carpenter and Cobeen last week, I suspect that these will not be installed on 18th Street.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2016, 08:55:19 AM »
1st I've ever heard of this; anybody got more info on if this is actually true?

100% true....and they are a marketing genius...just ask them.