[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How much of a contribution to MU is necessary to Bring Back Warrior Name ?

$50 Million
11 (19.3%)
$100 Million
9 (15.8%)
$150 Million
2 (3.5%)
$200 Million
35 (61.4%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Poll: What Price To Bring Back Warrior Name  (Read 14731 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Poll: What Price To Bring Back Warrior Name
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »
What are the other three?  We can bring them to the Fan Advisory Council...I hear that is where we get to air our grievances.

Shouldn't that been done here?

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 01:09:41 PM »
What are the other three?  We can bring them to the Fan Advisory Council...I hear that is where we get to air our grievances.
1. Giving Up Football Program
2. Giving Up Medical School
3. Not Closing Wisconsin Avenue
4. Giving up Warrior Name
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 01:15:18 PM »
Closing Wisconsin Avenue would have been terrible.  Worrying that a cop car or a witness could drive by at any time is a great deterrent to crime.  I honestly don't see any advantage to doing it other than aesthetics.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2016, 01:17:49 PM »
Not to mention that MU's idea was to relocate Wisconsin down to Clybourn by using basically the entire block bordered by Wisconsin, 17th and 18th. That wouldn't have been very feasible.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »

1. Couldn't disagree more
2. Couldn't agree more
3. Not MUs fault
4. Agreed with the caveat that all native imagery be dropped, fans be discouraged from using native imagery, and an apology was given for Willie Wampum and other past transgressions.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2016, 01:47:25 PM »
Very soon there will be more Golden Eagle alumni than Warrior alumni. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2016, 01:47:53 PM »
We are all Warrior alum.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 02:01:18 PM »
We are all Warrior alum.

Here, here.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 02:09:36 PM »
Not to mention that MU's idea was to relocate Wisconsin down to Clybourn by using basically the entire block bordered by Wisconsin, 17th and 18th. That wouldn't have been very feasible.

Correct.

Let's rather look at Marquette's outstanding contribution to the 11th Street bypass (it was actually our idea) that created 'the wiggle' and the 11th street ped mall.  BTW, same thing will be happening on 18th between WI and Wells pursuant to new res hall development.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 02:11:26 PM »
Um, that's not what he said.

chickadee, I thought he updated it in a later movie ... and he did ... but a quick look on the Googles reveals he upped it to 100 billion.

So either way, I'm wrong. Again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2016, 02:29:43 PM »

1. Axing the Warriors
2. Hiring Bob Dukiet
3. Messin' with happy

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2016, 02:34:40 PM »
1. Axing the Warriors
2. Hiring Bob Dukiet
3. Messin' with happy

1. Ending grill concerts
2. Ending block party
3. Disco on campus

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2016, 02:39:17 PM »
I don't understand why there isn't a pedestrian bridge going over Wisconsin Ave by the library and on 16th, kind of like in Las Vegas. I figured that would help with students crossing the street and let traffic flow a little better. You can even put "Marquette University" on them.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2016, 02:39:53 PM »
How much is Valley Fields worth?

Why the teal?

I don't think title of Valley Field would necessarily revert to Pottawatomie, but there would be some sort of compensation and/or liquidated damages involved... I have no clue what that might even be.  That could be Dr. Evil territory, perhaps.

Nevertheless, whatever cost would be necessary to make Pottawatomie whole while retaining Valley Fields is probably a rounding error compared to what it would take to capture MU's attention.  The only way you'd prevent a revolt from the faculty/administration would be to endow enough scholarships directed towards Native Americans to bring their demos up to well over-represented levels (according to Wikipedia, MU is currently 0.3% compared to the US population of 0.9%, so that's a couple hundred scholarships right there).  In addition, you'd probably have to fully endow the athletic department (another 20-30 schollies), and probably a curriculum on Native American history (3-4 professors).  And that's just the minimum to get to the bargaining table.

Given MU's current "fully endowed" benchmarks of $600k for students and $1M for professors, my guess is we're talking an entry fee of upwards of $150M, which would probably end up around $200-250M at the end of the day.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 02:41:27 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »
Very soon there will be more Golden Eagle alumni than Warrior alumni.

I like the old TallTitan34 avatar. Titan, would you mind re-posting that?

I would go for "Marquette Warriors" using the Golden Eagle mascot. You honor both parts of the tradition, and immediately replace the Indian imagery. Everybody's happy. Or put another way, everybody's a little unhappy.

Never give up hope.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2016, 03:31:47 PM »
I don't understand why there isn't a pedestrian bridge going over Wisconsin Ave by the library and on 16th, kind of like in Las Vegas. I figured that would help with students crossing the street and let traffic flow a little better. You can even put "Marquette University" on them.

Because no one would use it.  Wisconsin Avenue isn't *that* busy.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2016, 04:10:31 PM »

Because no one would use it.  Wisconsin Avenue isn't *that* busy.

Would be the world's worst bridge.

Now if you connected Raynor to another library esque building across Wisconsin, that would get used. Especially during winter.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2016, 04:11:24 PM »
chickadee, I thought he updated it in a later movie ... and he did ... but a quick look on the Googles reveals he upped it to 100 billion.

So either way, I'm wrong. Again.

Couldn't find a decent GIF for the 100 Billion quote, so I posted the other one instead.  But here is a video clip:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cf7uJDhVZIE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cf7uJDhVZIE</a>
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2016, 04:19:28 PM »

Believe it or not, a couple of years ago some parents called for a pedestrian bridge across Wisconsin because they didn't want their precious babies to get hit by cars when they were crossing it. It will never happen, for several reasons:

1. It would visually bisect the campus, which would not be flattering, aesthetics-wise.
2. You would have to make it wheelchair accessible, which means either installing a very expensive elevator on each end which would require constant maintenance, or having each end of the bridge start hundreds of feet back from the curb in order to make the slope gentle enough
3.  Any student who doesn't have the common sense to look both ways before crossing Wisconsin Avenue is not going to go a half-block out of his way to use a pedestrian bridge.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2016, 04:22:11 PM »
Believe it or not, a couple of years ago some parents called for a pedestrian bridge across Wisconsin because they didn't want their precious babies to get hit by cars when they were crossing it. It will never happen, for several reasons:

1. It would visually bisect the campus, which would not be flattering, aesthetics-wise.
2. You would have to make it wheelchair accessible, which means either installing a very expensive elevator on each end which would require constant maintenance, or having each end of the bridge start hundreds of feet back from the curb in order to make the slope gentle enough
3.  Any student who doesn't have the common sense to look both ways before crossing Wisconsin Avenue is not going to go a half-block out of his way to use a pedestrian bridge.

Not always the pedestrian's fault.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2016, 04:56:56 PM »
I hope we keep Golden Eagles

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2016, 04:57:47 PM »
Marquette Fan In NY
    Unless we were in the BIG, there was no sense in keeping football. Vanderbilt and Northwestern can have crappy football teams because they get BIG or SEC revenue and they lend an air of class to both conferences. Same for Stanford, except they win in the Pac10. We were independent and it was doubtful from the gitgo that we would have been ever accepted into the BIG. We would have ended up in the Mid-America  or Missouri Valley conferences.
I believe the reason they gave up the medical school at the time was the concern that Marquette's teaching of its religious values might have prevented the medical school from receiving large federal research grants.It was a different time in the 1960s.
Closing Wisconsin Avenue was a public relations problem. It was less about traffic flow (which dropped off drramatically after Interstate 94 was constructed) and more about the perception that Wisconsin Avenue was Milwaukee's main street -- and that Marquette was taking that away. The reality was and is that Wells and Clybourn Streets could have more than effectively handled the  spillover.
It may have been a HUGE mistake at the time but in the PC world that is the NCAA today, how far would we have been willing to go to keep it. Heck, the University of Illinois had to get rid of any reference to Chief Illiniwick. For us, Warriors referred to the Native Americans of the Northwoods and their aide and comfort to Father Marquette. You could do something PC to get past that problem but you not eliminate it, hence the reason for no longer being Warriors. For what it is worth, getting rid of the Warrior name stunk, but eventually we were going to have to, or make an Al-like stand against the NCAA.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2016, 05:01:44 PM »
1. Axing the Warriors
2. Hiring Bob Dukiet
3. Messin' with happy

Based on what I read in here, I'd add these:
1) Going cheap in the 1980s and not hiring Denny Crum when they allegedly had the chance in 1977.
2) Dukiet is absolutely right -- may be the biggest single mistake they ever made.
3) He was going to find a way to be a victim no matter what! We aren't UNLV and if he had stayed, we would have been! Maybe we should call him Hillbilly Tarkanian.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2016, 05:51:49 PM »
Not always the pedestrian's fault.
A pedestrian who crosses when and  where he is supposed to and verifies that conditions are safe before proceeding almost never gets hit by a vehicle.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 06:40:21 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2016, 06:15:33 PM »
Golden Avalanche 200 million; Warriors, priceless.