Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Luke Fischer Poised for Breakout Season  (Read 11869 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Luke Fischer Poised for Breakout Season
« on: July 31, 2016, 09:07:23 PM »
I believe Luke Fischer is poised for a breakout season .  He has built himself up physically and hopefully he will be fully healthy.  The key will be to keep himself in the game by the staying out of foul trouble which has been his nemesis .  If he can play a little smarter, he could be an All Big East type player.  If he has a big year we will  do very well as a team.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Luke Fischer Poised for Breakout Season
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 09:29:08 PM »
He better, otherwise were screwed.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 09:31:52 PM »
I believe Luke Fischer is poised for a breakout season .  He has built himself up physically and hopefully he will be fully healthy.  The key will be to keep himself in the game by the staying out of foul trouble which has been his nemesis .  If he can play a little smarter, he could be an All Big East type player.  If he has a big year we will  do very well as a team.

Luke doesn't have a foul issue, but does have a defensive rebounding issue. He was called for 4.16 fouls per 40 minutes last year. Other bigs in the BEast who fouled more often include:

Ochefu, Nova
Farr, Xavier
Hegner, Creighton
Sima, St. John's
Wideman, Butler
Hayes, Georgetown
Stimage, DePaul
Reynolds, Xavier
Govan, Georgetown

All of the above except Farr and Ochefu averaged more than 5 fouls per 40 minutes. Luke NEVER has (4.9, 4.6 to 4.2 from FR to JR year).

This team runs the risk of being horrible in the area defensive rebounding. Luke was sub-12% last season and never better than 12.8%. In conference play last year, he had a DR% of 11.2%, barely beating out Haanif (11.0%) and behind JjJ (11.6%).

For his size, his DR% are incredibly low and always have been. That's a real concern.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 11:13:44 PM »
Luke doesn't have a foul issue, but does have a defensive rebounding issue. He was called for 4.16 fouls per 40 minutes last year. Other bigs in the BEast who fouled more often include:

Ochefu, Nova
Farr, Xavier
Hegner, Creighton
Sima, St. John's
Wideman, Butler
Hayes, Georgetown
Stimage, DePaul
Reynolds, Xavier
Govan, Georgetown

All of the above except Farr and Ochefu averaged more than 5 fouls per 40 minutes. Luke NEVER has (4.9, 4.6 to 4.2 from FR to JR year).

This team runs the risk of being horrible in the area defensive rebounding. Luke was sub-12% last season and never better than 12.8%. In conference play last year, he had a DR% of 11.2%, barely beating out Haanif (11.0%) and behind JjJ (11.6%).

For his size, his DR% are incredibly low and always have been. That's a real concern.
Part of the reason he has trouble rebounding is because he gets in early foul trouble.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 12:41:59 AM »
Luke will be fine in rebounding.  His job on the glass was to clear out the other big to give others a clear area to rebound.  He did an awesome job of boxing out and clearing away the other teams big. 

Rebounding is often a team strategy.  Luke is a way better rebounder than last years stats say. 

fjm

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 07:22:29 AM »
With Hauser putting on 15lbs and an extra inch, he may be helpful on the rebounding end. Granted I don't expect him to play a whole ton as a frosh.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 08:12:27 AM »
Luke will be fine in rebounding.  His job on the glass was to clear out the other big to give others a clear area to rebound.  He did an awesome job of boxing out and clearing away the other teams big. 

Rebounding is often a team strategy.  Luke is a way better rebounder than last years stats say.

This is 100% correct. The strategy last year was to use Luke to clear out for Henry(who's a great rebounder) to corral the lose ball as Henry is also good at the first outlet pass. Additionally, a lot of our missed were on long shots meaning long rebounds. The strategy will be a lot more about crashing the boards as a team this season IMHO, which means Fischer will get his.

The one thing I'm not sure of though is how his states will reflect on team performance. He could average a double double and we don't win more than 16 games or he could average 4 boards and 4 fouls a game and we could win 22. Luke Fischer is important to this year's team but I don't think he will be the most important.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 08:31:47 AM »
This is 100% correct. The strategy last year was to use Luke to clear out for Henry(who's a great rebounder)

Only if they are easy.

Luke isn't terribly strong.  He does position himself well however.  I expect him to be marginally better than last year.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 08:39:08 AM »
Only if they are easy.

Luke isn't terribly strong.  He does position himself well however.  I expect him to be marginally better than last year.

I was thinking of making the easy joke, but decided to let someone else do it.  ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 08:40:02 AM »
I was thinking of making the easy joke, but decided to let someone else do it.  ;D

I only hit the easy softballs.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 08:55:44 AM »
Luke's foul issue came from reaching and getting silly fouls. Once he got those the other team could back him down. The big difference is that last year Henry could play the center spot when Luke went out. It remains to be seen how well Matt Heldt can fill that role.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 09:21:55 AM »
Luke, 28 minutes, 12/8.
Heldt, 12 minutes 4/4.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 09:32:48 AM »
I was really surprised to see JB's foul stats on Luke.  I would have expected him to be among the worst culprits in the BEast.  Perhaps (only perhaps) my view was tainted because his fouls seemed most often to be 'bad' fouls in my eyes.  You know, those committed 40 feet from the rim when he reached.  I'd much rather he earn those with a hard rim protector foul.  As others have said, his D suffers when he can't afford to do his job down low.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 09:34:36 AM »
Luke, 28 minutes, 12/8.
Heldt, 12 minutes 4/4.

I think Heldt is a typical project big.  Looked a little out of place as a freshman.  Will look serviceable as a sophomore.  Will end up as a solid starter junior and senior year.  An Otule with some offensive game.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 10:01:51 AM »
This is 100% correct. The strategy last year was to use Luke to clear out for Henry(who's a great rebounder) to corral the lose ball as Henry is also good at the first outlet pass. Additionally, a lot of our missed were on long shots meaning long rebounds.

Re "our missed" (sic), Oreb isn't his issue - Luke has great o reb numbers.  We're talking DR% here.

Marq was a poor DR% team last year - #225 in the nation, but Henry helped.

The year prior, with Luke but no Henry, MU was horrid - #339. Luke wasn't much better that year, and the Steve/Juan combo didn't do nearly as well as Henry.

If the theory is that Luke has posted poor DR%'s simply because of design (clear out for another guy to rebound), who is/are the other guys this year? Don't see them. So Luke will change by design and transform into a rebounding machine?

Sounds great, not sure I can find a lot of comfort there.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 10:06:45 AM »
Re "our missed" (sic), Oreb isn't his issue - Luke has great o reb numbers.  We're talking DR% here.

Marq was a poor DR% team last year - #225 in the nation, but Henry helped.

The year prior, with Luke but no Henry, MU was horrid - #339. Luke wasn't much better that year, and the Steve/Juan combo didn't do nearly as well as Henry.

If the theory is that Luke has posted poor DR%'s simply because of design (clear out for another guy to rebound), who is/are the other guys this year? Don't see them. So Luke will change by design and transform into a rebounding machine?

Sounds great, not sure I can find a lot of comfort there.

He ain't no Rodman.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 10:58:21 AM »

I think Heldt is a typical project big.  Looked a little out of place as a freshman.  Will look serviceable as a sophomore.  Will end up as a solid starter junior and senior year.  An Otule with some offensive game.
Heldt was looking much better the last couple of games before he got hurt. Heldt missing the last 5 games or so may or may not of hurt the team, but he did lose a chance at getting valuable experience.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 11:17:03 AM »

We agree.   My off-the-cuff prediction of his numbers reflect that.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 01:31:31 PM »
Another Hauser fan . . . I like his defensive rebounding.  He is not the most explosive on the team.  Defensive rebounding will come from his sound fundamentals of boxing out and clearing space.  He plays taller then he is listed and you can tell he really worked on his body.  Not that it matters much . . .but I watched him outrebound Heldt in high school.  Hauser isn't going to be a player that just stands there and watches a shot.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 09:01:22 PM »
Luke, 28 minutes, 12/8.
Heldt, 12 minutes 4/4.

Seems reasonable, but I also  think that Matt logs at least 2 minutes with Luke on the floor.  I would expect that to increase as the season progresses.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 07:03:54 AM »
Is Heldt a better rebounder than Chris Otule, who averaged 3.6 rpg in 17.5 mpg over his career? Could be. But I think 4 rpg in 12 mpg is very optimistic.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 07:18:59 AM »
Is Heldt a better rebounder than Chris Otule, who averaged 3.6 rpg in 17.5 mpg over his career? Could be. But I think 4 rpg in 12 mpg is very optimistic.

I don't know if he is yet, but I think he will be before long.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 07:21:14 AM »
Perhaps.   But Heldt has depth perception.    Otule could not corral rebounds that changed direction rapidly nor catch passes from short distances through traffic.    He handled longer entry passes up high, he collected rebounds that went straight up in the air.    Usually, though, his value in rebounding was his size and width that he would use to occupy at least one opponent.   He would clear space for someone else to grab the rebound or score. 
     But getting back to Heldt, with his size and the way he will probably be used, one rebound per 3 minutes is optimistic but not unreasonable. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2016, 07:36:17 AM »
Seems reasonable, but I also  think that Matt logs at least 2 minutes with Luke on the floor.  I would expect that to increase as the season progresses.

I'm not sure about that.  Who plays away from the hoop?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2016, 07:43:59 AM »
Good call, Sultan.    MU is going to be running a 4-out offense this year.    Having two post players will stifle movement and clog driving lanes.    See 'Oxtule'.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2016, 07:57:00 AM »
Unless nearly all of our guards have 4 fouls I would expect to see Matt and Luke on the floor at the same time about as often as you see Bruce Wayne and Batman in the same place at the same time.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 08:17:25 AM »
Unless nearly all of our guards have 4 fouls I would expect to see Matt and Luke on the floor at the same time about as often as you see Bruce Wayne and Batman in the same place at the same time.

Which one is Wayne and which one is batman?
TAMU

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 08:40:54 AM »

Never say Never.  Sometimes it's a game of different looks, and 2 bigs under the defensive  basket may not be a bad thing, especially if it results in some great outlet passes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2016, 08:44:38 AM »
I'm not saying "never."  I just don't see with this offense how it is going to happen two minutes a game and increasing as the season goes on.  Their games just don't complement one another unless they run something different or one of them has developed a serviceable outside shot. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2016, 08:54:25 AM »
Good call, Sultan.    MU is going to be running a 4-out offense this year.    Having two post players will stifle movement and clog driving lanes.    See 'Oxtule'.

Agreed.  I'd not expect 'Fisch/Helderskelter' except in very unusual circumstances, if ever.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2016, 09:09:49 AM »
I'm not saying "never."  I just don't see with this offense how it is going to happen two minutes a game and increasing as the season goes on.  Their games just don't complement one another unless they run something different or one of them has developed a serviceable outside shot.

Offensive, from what we have seen in the past its looks like I would have to agree.  But with so many lamenting our lack of rebounding size, and to stem blow out runs, I don't think 2 minutes a game is an unreasonable investment to stop or slow down runs.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2016, 09:32:58 AM »
Offensive, from what we have seen in the past its looks like I would have to agree.  But with so many lamenting our lack of rebounding size, and to stem blow out runs, I don't think 2 minutes a game is an unreasonable investment to stop or slow down runs.

What kind of run is going on that playing 2 tall stiffs(with all due respect to Matt and Luke) is going to stop?

The only scenario that would make any sense is if we are playing a team that has two very good post players that play simultaneously and they are just chewing our swing 4 up on the offensive end while having the agility to not get beat on the defensive end by a very athletic 4. I don't think there are really any teams out there that fit that description.

And for the record, Heldt is very clearly Batman....we don't see a lot of him, but when we do it's with a fanatical pace and involves throwing people around then disappearing for a while until the city needs a hero again.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 12:43:21 PM »
And for the record, Heldt is very clearly Batman....we don't see a lot of him, but when we do it's with a fanatical pace and involves throwing people around then disappearing for a while until the city needs a hero again.

Well done. Luke also has the hair of a millionaire playboy, so it works on both sides
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 12:48:51 PM »
Are we going to get one of these "Joe Schmoe is due for a break out season" threads every week until the season actually starts? Could probably make a case for the whole team by then.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 12:56:16 PM »
Agreed.  I'd not expect 'Fisch/Helderskelter' except in very unusual circumstances, if ever.

GIF-Heldt-a-Fisch.    Oy. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2016, 01:03:38 PM »
Are we going to get one of these "Joe Schmoe is due for a break out season" threads every week until the season actually starts? Could probably make a case for the whole team by then.

Don't encourage him.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2016, 01:38:03 PM »

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2016, 11:58:07 AM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2016, 12:36:25 PM »
apparently Wojo thinks luke is due-
https://www.facebook.com/MarquetteMensBB/videos/914984871978474/
Glad to see Wojo thinks Luke is poised for breakout season.
                       ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2016, 04:05:06 PM »
Glad to see Wojo thinks Luke is poised for breakout season.

My guess is Wojo Will have nice things to say about every player in the run up to,the season.

Just a guess......

fjm

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2016, 08:02:48 PM »
My guess is Wojo Will have nice things to say about every player in the run up to,the season.

Just a guess......

Except for poor Sacar because no one can seem to find him! Where is he!?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2016, 08:05:03 PM »

Just a guess......
I don't think Wojo is that type of coach. ::)
I believe NY has certain feelings and desires about every single member of this team and Wojo just confirms them.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2016, 02:36:05 PM »
Except for poor Sacar because no one can seem to find him! Where is he!?
Thing is he is a legendary Pokemon....
Goal is National Championship

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2016, 07:06:30 PM »
Thing is he is a legendary Pokemon....

Are they finding them down in old San Juan newsdrms?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2016, 09:30:05 AM »
Are they finding them down in old San Juan newsdrms?
Yep and all over crazy

https://allevents.in/san%20juan/pokemon-go/112252019214780
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2016, 02:50:02 PM »

Well, since Luke is probably more likely to bat away opponents' shots, I'll say he's Batman.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson