[Today at 10:36:41 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 10:23:37 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Which Big East Arena is the toughest to play in?  (Read 4152 times)

muwarrior69

• All American

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Which Big East Arena is the toughest to play in?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 03:46:57 PM »
Providence #3? What?

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 04:11:14 PM »
Providence #3? What?

Agreed - not sure why Providence gets the respect they do. To me, Nova and Creighton are hornet nests.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 05:25:31 PM »
I think they have the bottom half right.  Not sure how the Pavilion / CenturyLink aren't the top two, followed by X and Butler.  I always hope to be lucky enough to land one of the games in Philadelphia to avoid the Pavilion, so at least there's a small chance we won't get blown out.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 05:37:34 PM »
I am in the Pro Marquette camp and voted for the BC
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 08:20:28 PM »
Creighton, Butler, and Villanova on the top. Georgetown, St. John's and Depaul on bottom. The other 4 are interchangeable in the middle, IMHO.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 11:08:08 PM »
Agreed - not sure why Providence gets the respect they do. To me, Nova and Creighton are hornet nests.

This is probably why.

https://youtu.be/MqVGMLBOqnY

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 11:33:05 PM »
How long ago was this article researched?  They say the Bucks are "financing a new spot."  It's under construction, isn't it?  That seems like a little further along than financing.  Also their "fun fact" about the BC seems full of it too.  Didn't the Blackhawks nix the idea of a team in Milwaukee?

Benny B

• All American
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 10:21:18 AM »
How long ago was this article researched?  They say the Bucks are "financing a new spot."  It's under construction, isn't it?  That seems like a little further along than financing.  Also their "fun fact" about the BC seems full of it too.  Didn't the Blackhawks nix the idea of a team in Milwaukee?

It is inaccurate to say the Bucks are financing anything.  The Wisconsin Center District is.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 11:10:50 AM »
Also their "fun fact" about the BC seems full of it too.  Didn't the Blackhawks nix the idea of a team in Milwaukee?

The Blackhawks didn't nix the idea per se... the NHL has always had an indemnification provision to protect its owners from a new team cannibalizing ticket sales; when Anaheim was added to the league, about half of their $50M fee went to the Kings.  But Bill Wirtz never went on record asking for an indemnity payout.

Lloyd had commissioned a study sometime in the mid to late 80's that essentially said fielding a competitive team from day 1 was imperative for the team's long-term success.  The expansion draft presented a tremendous challenge to this, but then came the $50M fee that hamstrung any hope for adding a big-name talent in a trade or free agency (Lloyd was only expecting an expansion fee of $9-10M).

Whether Bill knew of Lloyd's study, was being ultra-protective of his "territory," or was more interested in seeing the NHL in Tampa Bay (and was otherwise indifferent about Milwaukee), or simply wanted to deter his old friend, he was indeed the person who championed increasing the expansion fee to $50M right about the time Lloyd made his application.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

source?

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 05:35:51 PM »

It is inaccurate to say the Bucks are financing anything.  The Wisconsin Center District is.

I was under the impression the Bucks were paying half.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 05:56:04 PM »
I was under the impression the Bucks were paying half.

20%.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 09:36:46 PM »
The Blackhawks didn't nix the idea per se... the NHL has always had an indemnification provision to protect its owners from a new team cannibalizing ticket sales; when Anaheim was added to the league, about half of their $50M fee went to the Kings.  But Bill Wirtz never went on record asking for an indemnity payout.

Lloyd had commissioned a study sometime in the mid to late 80's that essentially said fielding a competitive team from day 1 was imperative for the team's long-term success.  The expansion draft presented a tremendous challenge to this, but then came the $50M fee that hamstrung any hope for adding a big-name talent in a trade or free agency (Lloyd was only expecting an expansion fee of $9-10M).

Whether Bill knew of Lloyd's study, was being ultra-protective of his "territory," or was more interested in seeing the NHL in Tampa Bay (and was otherwise indifferent about Milwaukee), or simply wanted to deter his old friend, he was indeed the person who championed increasing the expansion fee to $50M right about the time Lloyd made his application.

Craig Leipold also did a study in the mid 90's when he was looking to either get an expansion team or move an existing team and the study found there wasn't the income or corporate base to sustain another professional team in Milwaukee. Leipold then pursued and put an expansion team in Nashville instead.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 08:52:41 AM »
20%.

That leaves the wrong impression Sultan.  Thought about it another way, roughly 50% is coming from 'public' money, well below the historic mean seen over the last couple decades nationwide.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 04:48:00 PM »
Hope this new arena tops this list in a couple years.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 07:25:08 PM »
I think the current Bradley center is tough on cretain occasions. But it's just not consistent like the Pavilion. I remember some pretty loud moments my first two years at MU.