Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This is why we can't have nice things.  (Read 11625 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: This is why we can't have nice things.
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 12:06:27 AM »
How about a compromise logo/mascot: The Golden Warriors? That would be PC. Gold implies heavenly. The heavenly Warriors.

I approve.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 11:24:45 AM »
Unfortunately this incident reinforces the idea that Warriors is just PC code for Indians (or Redskins).
PC police hijack a great mascot name
Forgetting that people acquire mascots to be proud of. not mock.
the chronically aggrieved

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 12:20:22 PM »

So MU was looking to honor Native Americans when the students changed its mascot/ name in 1954 to jump on the popularity of the NA theme mascots with the transfer of the Boston Braves to Milwaukee?

You can't throw around PC like it's not rooted in history, imagery, etc - including our own which includes a silly beginning and Willie Wampum.

For the record I wouldn't be one that would have been outraged regardless of the decision made at MU but respect and accept Wilds ultimate conclusion. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 03:16:35 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2016, 01:26:46 PM »
So MU was looking to honor Indians when the students changed its mascot/ name in 1954 to jump on the popularity of the Indian theme mascots with the transfer of the Boston Braves to Milwaukee?

You can't throw around PC like it's not rooted in history, imagery, etc - including our own which includes a silly beginning and Willie Wampum.

For the record I wouldn't be one that would have been outraged regardless of the decision made at MU but respect and accept Wilds ultimate conclusion.

You absolutely have the right to agree with  father wilde's decision as the many of us have to continues to be "let down", disappointed and taken for fools.  How do you may ask?  If a fair vote were taken, Warriors would have beaten any other chirade by a bunch.  Oh well, and life goes on, but the pic world is going to kill us if it's not reigned in...in other news, how 'bout dem packas, 'ey?
don't...don't don't don't don't

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2016, 03:11:27 PM »

Intent doesn't matter. Only impact.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2016, 04:23:40 PM »
Intent doesn't matter. Only impact.

In fact I would argue that Marquette's sincere attempt to be respectful with Native imagery only made the problem worse in the long run.  If they had dropped all Native imagery when they dropped Willie Wampum in 1971, my educated guess is that they would still be Warriors today. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2016, 06:00:43 PM »

In fact I would argue that Marquette's sincere attempt to be respectful with Native imagery only made the problem worse in the long run.  If they had dropped all Native imagery when they dropped Willie Wampum in 1971, my educated guess is that they would still be Warriors today.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2016, 08:58:17 PM »

Right on!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »

Yep. Drop the Indian imagery completely, choose a symbol more like the one the G.S. Warriors have now, discourage the war chants and stuff during games ... and we're probably still the Warriors.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 08:07:50 AM »

Yep. Drop the Indian imagery completely, choose a symbol more like the one the G.S. Warriors have now, discourage the war chants and stuff during games ... and we're probably still the Warriors.

It's been done before...

Not sure a Hoan Bridge logo would have the same effect, but you get the idea  ;)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:09:31 AM by MerrittsMustache »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2016, 08:59:26 AM »

Not sure a Hoan Bridge logo would have the same effect, but you get the idea  ;)

Why not?  GS used the 6th Street Viaduct on their logo.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2016, 10:22:25 AM »
Yeah but what does Donald Trump think about this?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2016, 10:56:48 AM »
It's been done before...

Note that the year GS changed its logo away from the Native American imagery is the year we only got rid of Willie Wampum and kept everything else.  It's too late now.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2016, 01:13:08 PM »

yeah, just like the seminoles and the atlanta braves and...wait, i guess the tomahawk chop can be considered as universal thingy, AyN'a?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2016, 02:15:02 PM »
yeah, just like the seminoles and the atlanta braves and...wait, i guess the tomahawk chop can be considered as universal thingy, AyN'a?

Eh ... I'm not even gonna bother going down this road again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson