Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 09:39:22 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Coaching Stability.  (Read 25550 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Big East Coaching Stability.
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2016, 08:40:40 AM »
In a more perfect world you are correct.

Unfortunately , the President of the University is still star struck by the Duke connection. Look at the body language when you see these two together. The new AD is a corporate hack kind of guy and follows lock stop with his boss( it is good work if you can get it so I don't blame him) and will tow the company line so no help there.

So , until we get a new MU President , we are stuck with Wojo and will have to make the best of the situation for quite a while. The way I look at it, at least Wojo is a good recruiter, which is why I eagerly applaud all his recruiting efforts . That way, If Lovell eventually comes to his senses, the new coach that succeeds Wojo will arrive with a full cupboard. Wojos lousy coaching is why I am keen on getting some 20 win seasons while we are not making tournaments. Optically the 20 wins gives the impression to the media and casual observers that we are still relevant in the upper tier of the game. Which is why it is silly not to have the 31st game. Someday we will hire a good young coach who is a proven winner and knows how to motivate kids once they are actually  on campus. In the meantime  Wojo can keep bringing in guys like Hauser, Howard, Eke, Bailey etc and we will at least be able to tread water until help arrives. If we can get Lewis, John and Tillman the new coach will have a decent baseline of junior and senior talent when he arrives.

Damn.  Wow.  I really didn't think that you could possibly cause me to lose more respect for you, but you succeeded.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2016, 08:47:00 AM »
What you see as Lovell/Scholl/Cords being "star-struck by the Duke connection", I see as L/S/C being convinced they got the perfect post-Buzz hire, just as Buzz was the perfect post-Crean guy, Crean post-Deane, Deane post-O'Neill, ONeill post-Dukiet. And there the chain breaks...lol, although Majerus post-Raymonds wasn't a bad set-up, it's just that guys with no patience and little to go by to judge the new coach's acumen (like MU fan in NY ) jumped the gun on Rick and a gem was lost forever. Thankfully, said gem continued to hold MU close to his heart up until his untimely passing.

Were you around for Deane replacing O'Neill?  Because I just don't see a guy whose recruiting was negligent, at best, being the perfect replacement for anyone.

He did get a nice drunk on.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2016, 09:05:10 AM »
Look, if we do not make the NCAA in 2017, Wojo will be on the hot seat.

Count on it!

I don't care how big President Lovell's man crush on Wojo might be, money talks. The cash cow that is the basketball program will start coming up dry if things don't turn around soon. Those of you who do not see this probably spent too much time in Political Science, Sociology or Philosophy.

What basketball means to Marquette is not unlike what football means to Notre Dame. Our student body is more diverse because of the visibility of our basketball program. The buildings, the campus improvements and even some of the environmental improvements around the Marquette neighborhood would never have been possible without the direct and indirect contribution of the basketball program.

Please remember something... all Marquette fandom is divided into threes. The first is anyone who went to Marquette between 1964 and 1980. We think we have a God-given right to fight for an NCAA Championship every year. That's because we know it is possible. The second group is anyone who attended Marquette between 1981 and 1990 or during the Deane years. They don't think we can do anything right -- and will stumble on our own toes. The third group went to MU during the Crean and Hillbilly years and saw the latest Final Four and the success the Hillbilly had. They think as soon as Wojo gets good, he's gone.

Two of those three groups see the NCAA tournament as the basis for success. There years in a row without the NCAA is a problem for both of those groups.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2016, 09:08:10 AM »

Count on it!

I don't care how big President Lovell's man crush on Wojo might be, money talks. The cash cow that is the basketball program will start coming up dry if things don't turn around soon. Those of you who do not see this probably spent too much time in Political Science, Sociology or Philosophy.

What basketball means to Marquette is not unlike what football means to Notre Dame. Our student body is more diverse because of the visibility of our basketball program. The buildings, the campus improvements and even some of the environmental improvements around the Marquette neighborhood would never have been possible without the direct and indirect contribution of the basketball program.

Please remember something... all Marquette fandom is divided into threes. The first is anyone who went to Marquette between 1964 and 1980. We think we have a God-given right to fight for an NCAA Championship every year. That's because we know it is possible. The second group is anyone who attended Marquette between 1981 and 1990 or during the Deane years. They don't think we can do anything right -- and will stumble on our own toes. The third group went to MU during the Crean and Hillbilly years and saw the latest Final Four and the success the Hillbilly had. They think as soon as Wojo gets good, he's gone.

Two of those three groups see the NCAA tournament as the basis for success. There years in a row without the NCAA is a problem for both of those groups.

Wojo will not be on the hot seat after this year, NCAA Tournament or not.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2016, 09:14:18 AM »
Were you around for Deane replacing O'Neill?  Because I just don't see a guy whose recruiting was negligent, at best, being the perfect replacement for anyone.

Mike might have been the best coach at MU, the one problem is he did not like to recruit and thought MU could never get back to the top due to the administration
back then.  Times change, thanks DWade,  Crean good or bad helped turn the program, Kevin O'Neal as well.  Having the 3 Wisconsin kids his first year really helped
turn the program.  Crean built on that,  Buzz as well, unfortunately Buzz left the cupboard empty when he left.  Buzz went JC and turned MU around.  Wojo does not
come from that world, plus the administration got tired of questionable characters in the program.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2016, 09:25:53 AM »
In his first two years, Wojo is 12-24 in BE play.  He doubled the BE win total from 4 to 8, albeit with a first round NBA pick in Henry. 

Season Three will be a difficult task without Henry and the lack of size upfront, with Fischer being the only starter with some bulk. If Fischer continues his ability to get two fouls in the first five minutes, the more difficult.

If MU stays on course with another losing BE play season in season three, which for sure will not get an NCAA did, then season four will be the barometer.  Another sub par season in 2017-2018 and there is no doubt the seat will be warm.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:30:17 AM by nyg »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2016, 09:28:55 AM »
I would guess if there is no NCAA in 2017 and 2018 his seat will be hot. It won't be hot if we miss this year, although I'm optimistic we'll make it.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2016, 09:40:51 AM »
I would guess if there is no NCAA in 2017 and 2018 his seat will be hot. It won't be hot if we miss this year, although I'm optimistic we'll make it.

This is a pretty good depth and almost all the players can play, Cohen and Sacre will have to up there game or they maybe at the stuck at the end of the bench
the whole year.  Cohen probably will play some as he can defend a little.  But having 10 other kids with some ability means Wojo as a coach will have to figure out
how to play them during the game.  They have some experience this year, but no height.  Have to outscore there opponent this year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2016, 09:45:18 AM »

+1.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2016, 09:47:11 AM »
I don't think the seat gets hot without a tourney bid next year as long as there's clear progress. If we make the NIT this year, that will be considered progress. If we miss the next two years, then I could see the seat getting toasty. Great relationships are nice and all, but boosters will eventuality want tangible results. NIT in 2017 and NCAA in 2018 would be that, even if it's not as fast as fans would like. Wojo is building this team to be good when guys like Cheatham, Carter, and Heldt are upperclassmen.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2016, 10:14:52 AM »
There was undeniable progress from year one to year two. More talent is going to help with year three so I expect more progress. Maybe not enough to make the tournament.

Not sure that Wojo is going to get MU to the same heights that Buzz did, but I think he will develop into a good college coach.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2016, 10:51:52 AM »
Wojo will not be on the hot seat after this year, NCAA Tournament or not.

To be candid, I hope this isn't an issue because our Warriors make the NCAA.

I'll acknowledge Wojo inherited a train wreck. Bad decisions by some of our players; bad decisions by the Hillbilly; and, ultimately, a horses**t coach who cut and run with a nasty shot at us didn't help. But we've had a couple of great recruiting classes and now is the time to show progress. A lot of us have been patient because we knew getting this train back up on the rails would take time.

Like any other job, you're measured by your success -- ultimately in dollars and cents. If we get to the tournament and make enough progress to be in the upper half of the Big East, great. If we don't and there is no heat on our coach, then there has to be some serious questions about our program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2016, 10:56:53 AM »
To be candid, I hope this isn't an issue because our Warriors make the NCAA.

I'll acknowledge Wojo inherited a train wreck. Bad decisions by some of our players; bad decisions by the Hillbilly; and, ultimately, a horses**t coach who cut and run with a nasty shot at us didn't help. But we've had a couple of great recruiting classes and now is the time to show progress. A lot of us have been patient because we knew getting this train back up on the rails would take time.

Like any other job, you're measured by your success -- ultimately in dollars and cents. If we get to the tournament and make enough progress to be in the upper half of the Big East, great. If we don't and there is no heat on our coach, then there has to be some serious questions about our program.

No, there doesn't.  His first recruiting class to Marquette is going into its sophomore year.  They are still underclassmen.  He was left with absolutely nothing and came in to completely flip the program.  We should all hope for an NCAA Tournament, but it's tough to expect that in year 3 of a demolition and rebuild.  We saw improvements from year 1 to year 2.  We need to see improvements from year 2 to year 3.  That doesn't require an NCAA Tournament appearance.  Year 4 is when we need to start seeing the results on the court.  If we don't, that's when his seat will go from ice cold to room temperature.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2016, 11:01:38 AM »
  Year 4 is when we need to start seeing the results on the court.  If we don't, that's when his seat will go from ice cold to room temperature.

So you agree with all of us then. When we say he's on the hot seat if he doesn't make it this year were not saying he's going to be fired.  We're saying that he must have complete success in year 4.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2016, 11:08:32 AM »
So you agree with all of us then. When we say he's on the hot seat if he doesn't make it this year were not saying he's going to be fired.  We're saying that he must have complete success in year 4.

Hence why I said +1 to your post.  He needs to be in NCAA Tournament come March 2018 or his seat will be room temperature.  My original response to dgies was to when he said:

Count on it!

That's simply false.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2016, 11:57:10 AM »
Well, maybe on imaginary ones inside your head. But not with anyone that actually matters.

Considering the amount of money that MU spends on hoops, it will matter rather soon to those who write checks.

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-20-schools-spend-the-most-money-on-their-basketball-teams-2012-1#4-marquette-17

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2016, 12:27:41 PM »
At the end of the day Marquette needs to start winning. I think the powers that be want to win with more dignity than we did under Bert but we need to win. Wojo is on the clock and anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial about the reality of revenue-generating college athletics.

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2016, 12:32:04 PM »
Unless we are winning at a Nova or Xavier rate (top 8 teams in the country), we aren't going to be filling up the BC for more than games against those types of teams, which are games that we'll be filling up the BC for regardless of whether we're on the bubble or not.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2016, 12:54:36 PM »
In a more perfect world you are correct.

Unfortunately , the President of the University is still star struck by the Duke connection. Look at the body language when you see these two together. The new AD is a corporate hack kind of guy and follows lock stop with his boss( it is good work if you can get it so I don't blame him) and will tow the company line so no help there.

So , until we get a new MU President , we are stuck with Wojo and will have to make the best of the situation for quite a while. The way I look at it, at least Wojo is a good recruiter, which is why I eagerly applaud all his recruiting efforts . That way, If Lovell eventually comes to his senses, the new coach that succeeds Wojo will arrive with a full cupboard. Wojos lousy coaching is why I am keen on getting some 20 win seasons while we are not making tournaments. Optically the 20 wins gives the impression to the media and casual observers that we are still relevant in the upper tier of the game. Which is why it is silly not to have the 31st game. Someday we will hire a good young coach who is a proven winner and knows how to motivate kids once they are actually  on campus. In the meantime  Wojo can keep bringing in guys like Hauser, Howard, Eke, Bailey etc and we will at least be able to tread water until help arrives. If we can get Lewis, John and Tillman the new coach will have a decent baseline of junior and senior talent when he arrives.

I do not feel even one iota "stuck" with Wojo. I am glad we have him, I think he's doing a good job and I think he will improve as he gains experience.

I believe Wojo will be far more likely to leave MU for what he deems a "better" job than to be fired -- at which point mopes like you will rail about his "disloyalty."

On the remote possibility that Lovell "comes to his senses" and fires Wojo after loading the cupboard, what leads you to believe that most of those loyal-to-Wojo recruits won't do what so often happens and follow him out the door? Which would leave us with a bare cupboard AGAIN, starting from scratch AGAIN, with a coach you won't like AGAIN because he can't win big immediately AGAIN.

I know you're pissed that Kostas "got away," but jeesh. Get a grip, man!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2016, 01:10:05 PM »

I had a few drunks on with Deano.  Would prefer that doesn't happen again.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2016, 01:11:01 PM »

Count on it!

Good thing the administration doesn't make decisions based on what fans think. Fans are shortsighted and have irrational ideas like competing for the NCAA championship every year being still possible for Marquette in this day and age.

Progress is what's important. As long as there is positive trajectory Wojos seat will remain ice cold. It doesn't matter if fans are impatient with the speed it is going. Wojo improved greatly last season and all signs point to an improved team this season. Not sure why anyone thinks that's a sign of a soon to be hot seat.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2016, 01:15:56 PM »
Good thing the administration doesn't make decisions based on what fans think. Fans are shortsighted and have irrational ideas like competing for the NCAA championship every year being still possible for Marquette in this day and age.

Progress is what's important. As long as there is positive trajectory Wojos seat will remain ice cold. It doesn't matter if fans are impatient with the speed it is going. Wojo improved greatly last season and all signs point to an improved team this season. Not sure why anyone thinks that's a sign of a soon to be hot seat.

Because we had a great record of going to the tournament and it's been broken. Until we get back, fans won't be happy. I'm not saying he should be on the hot seat nor do I believe he is at all, but I think it's fair to say that within the next two years, getting back to the NCAAs is a pretty important task. Now if we are on the wrong side of the NIT bubble this year after losing Henry, and make the NIT next year, I could see us getting to a 5-year drought before Wojo has any security issues. But if we're going into year 6 of no tournament with all Wojo's players, that seat almost has to start getting hot. It's not now, it's not next year, but eventually the fan disappointment will trickle up. This is still a results based business.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2016, 01:20:37 PM »
Considering the amount of money that MU spends on hoops, it will matter rather soon to those who write checks.

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-20-schools-spend-the-most-money-on-their-basketball-teams-2012-1#4-marquette-17

Fortunately most of the people who write the checks understand what it takes to build a program and are just fine. They also know that firing a coach that is improving the program every year means blowing up what he's built and starting over. Which would mean even more time or of the tournament. You only look to fire a coach when the program shows signs of regressing. So far only upward trajectory with Wojo.

It is shortsighted to think that simply changing a coach will magically elevate a program.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2016, 01:25:55 PM »
Because we had a great record of going to the tournament and it's been broken. Until we get back, fans won't be happy. I'm not saying he should be on the hot seat nor do I believe he is at all, but I think it's fair to say that within the next two years, getting back to the NCAAs is a pretty important task. Now if we are on the wrong side of the NIT bubble this year after losing Henry, and make the NIT next year, I could see us getting to a 5-year drought before Wojo has any security issues. But if we're going into year 6 of no tournament with all Wojo's players, that seat almost has to start getting hot. It's not now, it's not next year, but eventually the fan disappointment will trickle up. This is still a results based business.

Yes but getting rid of a coach who's improving every year means extending that drought by another 3 years or more. People in charge know that. Add long as progress is being made, Wojos seat is ice cold. Now that means he will eventually make the NCAA tournament. But if we make step towards that the next two years but just fall short, Wojo isn't going to be fired.
TAMU

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2016, 01:52:13 PM »
Yes but getting rid of a coach who's improving every year means extending that drought by another 3 years or more. People in charge know that. Add long as progress is being made, Wojos seat is ice cold. Now that means he will eventually make the NCAA tournament. But if we make step towards that the next two years but just fall short, Wojo isn't going to be fired.

5 years is enough, first year does not count, other coaches talent or for MU lack of talent, then 4 years of his own talent.  Henry was good and bad for Wojo, a one done
freshman I believe is great for the program, but bad for him.  Puts Wojo behind the 8 ball.   The new arena once built should be an incredible asset to sell new prospects
on.  I have concerns in 2017 right now, that might change during the next few months.  2018 is critical for recruiting with 2 big players in the state, and Bailey hopefullly
coming.   To fire him, do not see it till 2019 or 2020 at best.  I believe he can recruit good players the next few years.

feedback