[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bucks N Buycks  (Read 9892 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Bucks N Buycks
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2016, 07:58:59 AM »

Except he hasn't.  At Dwight's current age, Travis played in well over 150 NBA games and was on an NBA roster every year in the league.

I like Dwight, but he's no Diener. Travis had NBA offers when he left but got a lucrative deal in Italy that allowed him to play with his cousin. I think he easily could have played 5-6 more years in the league, but followed his wishes, and nothing wrong with that.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2016, 08:45:19 AM »
Travis was waived by two teams his last year in the league.  (Was he coming off an injury?)  I'm not sure he could have been in the league another 5-6.  He was also very successful in one of the best leagues in Europe. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2016, 08:56:02 AM »
Travis was waived by two teams his last year in the league.  (Was he coming off an injury?)  I'm not sure he could have been in the league another 5-6.  He was also very successful in one of the best leagues in Europe.

Correct.  Travis had a nice run and to put Buycks in his same class is way off.  He might have squeezed another year out of the NBA but his time in any regular rotation was quickly coming to an end.  He went to Italy and made bank for several years.

I sometimes wonder if Travis has made a conscious decision NOT to immediately seek an Assistant's role.  In his current position he isn't forced to travel/recruit while he has a young child at home.  I know from personal connections that part of the decision to come home from Italy perhaps a little early was largely family related.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2016, 10:38:36 AM »
Correct.  Travis had a nice run and to put Buycks in his same class is way off.  He might have squeezed another year out of the NBA but his time in any regular rotation was quickly coming to an end.  He went to Italy and made bank for several years.

I sometimes wonder if Travis has made a conscious decision NOT to immediately seek an Assistant's role.  In his current position he isn't forced to travel/recruit while he has a young child at home.  I know from personal connections that part of the decision to come home from Italy perhaps a little early was largely family related.

Pretty sure Travis has openly said this

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2016, 08:22:38 PM »
Buycks is an NBA player. Not only is his offense on that level but his defense is really good when it needs to be.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2016, 08:55:52 PM »
Buycks is an NBA player. Not only is his offense on that level but his defense is really good when it needs to be.
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brandx

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2016, 10:45:38 PM »
Not saying the Bucks didn't overpay for Delladova, but he has been a decent NBA back up for three seasons and was a MUCH better college player. There is no evidence to suggest that Dwight would be a step up.

Couldn't agree more.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2016, 11:08:27 PM »
I meant it half as Buycks is a heck of a player, and half as Delly and MCW are horrible NBA point guards.  Buycks has a combination of athleticism and shooting that neither Delly nor MCW have (Delly can I guess hit wide open 3s when LeBron and Kyrie are on the court leaving him wide open, and MCW is a fairly good athlete, though doesn't have good foot speed).  If Buycks could play within the team concept (I don't know either way whether he could or not) and defend, he'd definitely be worth a look.
You realize that he is a career 40% 3 point shooter and shot 37% without LBJ as a rookie. Hopefully, with point Giannis he will be getting a ton of open 3s with teams packing the lane. I really this board is overrating Buycks. He's a fringe player that has only played 20 NBA games. I highly doubt he chose to play in Europe if he was able to get a full NBA contract.

As for his D, Beal called him the league's best defender and advanced stats put him well above the league average for guards despite being slowed down last year by nagging injuries.

I'm not a big Dellavedova guy, but there is some crazy homerism is in here saying Buycks is better.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2016, 11:34:22 PM »
You realize that he is a career 40% 3 point shooter and shot 37% without LBJ as a rookie. Hopefully, with point Giannis he will be getting a ton of open 3s with teams packing the lane. I really this board is overrating Buycks. He's a fringe player that has only played 20 NBA games. I highly doubt he chose to play in Europe if he was able to get a full NBA contract.

As for his D, Beal called him the league's best defender and advanced stats put him well above the league average for guards despite being slowed down last year by nagging injuries.

I'm not a big Dellavedova guy, but there is some crazy homerism is in here saying Buycks is better.

"Delly" has made 1.0 3 pointers per game in his 3 seasons as an NBA player.  People continually talk about the Bucks addressing their need for 3 point shooting by signing Teletovic and Delly.  Delly is not, by any means, a 3 point shooter.  If you have Giannis running the 1 then your 2 needs to be able to shoot the 3, because your 1 certainly isn't going to be doing that.  Delly can't do that.  Guys like Marvin Williams, Jae Crowder, Matt Barnes, Omri Casspi, Patrick Patterson, etc. (none of whom I would consider to be big time 3 point shooters) made more 3 pointers than Delly did last season (a career high in 3 point field goals).  Delly does absolutely nothing to help the Bucks lack of perimeter shooting.  In fact I would, without hesitation, consider Bayless, Mayo, and even Vasquez, none of whom will be back in the Bucks backcourt, to be better 3 point shooters than Delly.

If you think teams respect Giannis, Jabari, and Middleton like they do LeBron James, Kyrie Irving, and Kevin Love, you're fooling yourself.  Delly will have far worse looks on the Bucks than he could get on the Cavs.

I'm not overly familiar with defensive advanced statistics but for his career he's averaged 0.93 defensive win shares for his 3 year career.  Again, I'm very familiar with the numbers, but if that's "well above average for NBA guards" then NBA guards must be pretty poor on the defensive side of the ball on average.

I will give Delly this, he does a good job at making the guy he is guarding work to get the ball.  He's willing to be physical off the ball and work really hard to not let his guy get easy touches.  In my opinion, he plays the Badgers "grab and pull" defense and is able to get away with it a lot.  As an on ball defender?  Meh.

He tries really hard.  That's about all I can say he does above average for the NBA.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:48:53 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2016, 09:16:02 AM »

I think it's partly due to homerism and partly because Delly is just a really easy guy to dislike. But he's a useful player.

brandx

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2016, 09:19:33 AM »

He tries really hard.  That's about all I can say he does above average for the NBA.

Everybody in the NBA tries real hard.

brandx

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2016, 09:22:52 AM »

Hard to find a place for a guy who is 6'2" in the NBA other than PG and Buycks is not an NBA PG by any stretch of the imagination.

Every NBA GM and coach would take issue with the statement that Buycks is better than Delly.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2016, 03:08:47 PM »
I thought Buycks decision making was a big reason MU lost that game last night. Poor shot selection and turnovers in big situations. He was great for 4/5 of the game and awful for that last 1/5. Seems like the exact same player other than he's looks like he has a better handle.