[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Pokemon GO  (Read 5790 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Pokemon GO
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2016, 03:17:14 PM »
My daughter and her beau were dreaming of a Harry Potter-esque version of Pokémon-Go where people are wandering around collecting imaginary magical creatures as a tie-in for the upcoming movie.  I wish the beau or daughter coded, because that would be a money-maker. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2016, 03:24:40 PM »
My 21 year old daughter just explained the appeal to me from a college student perspective.    She works in a coffee shop near campus that apparently is a 'stop'.     She says it may the greatest mixer she has seen.    Total strangers converging on the coffee shop and introducing themselves and teaming up while playing the game together.     Well, I guess it is better that sitting around in the basement or just bitching about everything on the internet.

*Closes MU Scoop*

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2016, 03:26:36 PM »
I was wondering who would pick up on that. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2016, 05:37:05 PM »
My 21 year old daughter just explained the appeal to me from a college student perspective.    She works in a coffee shop near campus that apparently is a 'stop'.     She says it may the greatest mixer she has seen.    Total strangers converging on the coffee shop and introducing themselves and teaming up while playing the game together.     Well, I guess it is better that sitting around in the basement or just bitching about everything on the internet.

I took my 18 year old granddaughter down to the lake in Kenosha (we live in Racine) to hunt Pokemans or whatever it is they do. She got phone numbers of half a dozen different kids that she is now texting on a daily basis. Much better way to meet kids their age than most methods.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2016, 05:38:20 PM »
Sounds like it works better than tinder.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2016, 05:46:22 PM »
At least it's getting gamers out of their basements once in awhile.

Are you sure we want that?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2016, 10:41:27 PM »

For grandpa or the girls?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2016, 12:20:04 PM »

"The other app where you swipe to find monsters in your area."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2016, 12:21:43 PM »
How many heat stroke Pokémon Go related hospital admissions will there be this weekend?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2016, 02:11:15 PM »
"The other app where you swipe to find monsters in your area."

When they say, "Gotta catch 'email all", I am pretty sure they weren't referring to STDS
Have some patience, FFS.

brandx

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2016, 03:02:52 PM »
For grandpa or the girls?

I'm gonna hafta go all 5th amendment on your a$$ on this question.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2016, 03:29:17 PM »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2016, 11:45:05 AM »
Can anyone give me a parents' guide intro?

My 8 year old has been catching them, etc .. it's classic for him to start a game full-force, then realize there's actual strategy that needs to be learned, so he just wanders, not realizing all aspects of the game .. leading dad to understand the game to teach it down.  I've tried to find simple videos on the subject, but they often seem to wander.

Questions -

Is there any reason you'd have more than one copy of a guy?   I'd imagine you transfer all extra copies of lesser cards so your biggest CP card could use the "candy"?

Also need an explanation of gyms and fighting .. if you found a gym with some super powerful dude, there's no point fighting and losing, right?

And how do you fight?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2016, 12:52:13 PM »
Can anyone give me a parents' guide intro?

My 8 year old has been catching them, etc .. it's classic for him to start a game full-force, then realize there's actual strategy that needs to be learned, so he just wanders, not realizing all aspects of the game .. leading dad to understand the game to teach it down.  I've tried to find simple videos on the subject, but they often seem to wander.

Questions -

Is there any reason you'd have more than one copy of a guy?   I'd imagine you transfer all extra copies of lesser cards so your biggest CP card could use the "candy"?

Also need an explanation of gyms and fighting .. if you found a gym with some super powerful dude, there's no point fighting and losing, right?

And how do you fight?

Gyms i still don't understand. Usually there's no point to keeping duplicates except for 2 exceptions. With the evee's you want at least 3 of them so they evolve into their other evolutions and sometimes ill evolve a bunch of duplicate pidgeys, or weedles for the experience boost

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2016, 01:50:51 PM »
Ring Out Rattata.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2016, 01:57:46 PM »
Conan O'Brien:

The guy is going to be OK, but in California, a man playing Pokemon Go was stabbed. The man said, "It was terrifying. My lack of a life flashed before my eyes."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2016, 02:33:58 PM »
Caught so many new Pokemon in Vegas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The basketball was cool, the booze was flowin, the people were great.. but the Pokemon hunting MADE THE TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Off to play some MLB 16 The Show before this bball game comes on.

Bye!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2016, 04:37:52 PM »
Questions -

Yep, transfer the lower powered pokemon for candy to Evolve your highest CP pokemon.

Pokemon caught in the wild level up with your trainer level up to trainer level 30, that means that the wild pokemon you catch will continue to be more powerful than the pokemon you are catching and evolving. Because of that, it's not really worthwhile to do anything except for bank your stardust until your trainer is level 30, and start doing power-ups at that point.

Gyms are useless until you're high level and can defend the gym. If you own a gym you can go into the Shop, and in the upper right-hand corner you can collect your defender bonus. Every day you defend, you get a bonus.

Fighting is fun though! Especially since pokestops give you so many potions and revives. Each gym has a level associated with it, and the gym's level determines how many pokemon can be stationed at that gym. If the gym is owned by the good guys you can 'train' your pokemon at the gym. Each pokemon stationed at the gym that you beat gives you a little bit of XP and it increases the level of the gym. At bad-guy gyms you can knock-down the gym's level by beating one or more pokemon stationed there. The lower level the gym, the more manageable it will be to take it by someone that's more powerful on your (or another) team.

And how do you fight?

First you choose the pokemon that you're going to fight with. If your kid has played previous pokemon iterations, they're probably familiar with which types are strong/weak against which other types.

When you're fighting, you can do three things:

• Basic attack: Tap on your pokemon - this does the first attack that's listed in teh pokemon's ability page
  • Strong attack: Tap/hold on the enemy pokemon - There's  a blue bar that fills up on the upper right of the screen as you land basic attacks. This is the 2nd ability listed on your pokemon's page and it usually hits significantly harder than the basic attack
  • Dodge: Swipe to dodge - When the defending pokemon is about to attack, you'll notice the outside edge of the screen flash yellow. If you're not tapping too furiously you can get pretty good at dodging almost all of the other pokemon's attacks.

If you want to dig deeper, this is a great writeup by a level 22 trainer: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4snrnu/lv22_player_giving_small_tips_of_advice_also/

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2016, 04:58:43 PM »
Caught so many new Pokemon in Vegas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The basketball was cool, the booze was flowin, the people were great.. but the Pokemon hunting MADE THE TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Off to play some MLB 16 The Show before this bball game comes on.

Bye!

You got the PS4?  The Show is all I play now.  I'll play NBA 2K17 when it comes out doe.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2016, 05:25:55 PM »
You got the PS4?  The Show is all I play now.  I'll play NBA 2K17 when it comes out doe.

Same. I have an Xbox one as well & that's what I've played 2k on... May switch this year

PS - Skat is a Pokemon nerd
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2016, 06:09:01 PM »

PS - Skat is a Pokemon nerd

Truth. It's fun, and it helps me relate to the younger people at work. Gotta keep up with this stuff if you're going to be "one of the guys" at a software company :)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2016, 03:51:58 PM »
As part of my family road trip to Milwaukee we stopped in Springfield, IL to tour the Lincoln Home National Park.  The ranger gives the speech beforehand about no cellphone use all in the house.  To Please be respectful.  No more than 5 minutes later some guy has to get scolded by the ranger who told him that "No cellphone use includes Pokeman Go." 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2016, 07:56:13 AM »
As part of my family road trip to Milwaukee we stopped in Springfield, IL to tour the Lincoln Home National Park.  The ranger gives the speech beforehand about no cellphone use all in the house.  To Please be respectful.  No more than 5 minutes later some guy has to get scolded by the ranger who told him that "No cellphone use includes Pokeman Go."

The wife and I stopped at Devil's Lake State Park on our way back from Minneapolis to break up the drive for lil' MU03ENG and get a hike in. We were coming down the bluff trail as a group of 6 people were coming toward it, youngest had to be mid-30s oldest in the 60s, all of whom were staring at their phones talking about things like "oh I already got 3 of those guys" or "I can't believe how many Pokemon there are here".

I didn't know whether to throw them or myself off the bluff.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2016, 08:22:55 AM »
Have some patience, FFS.