[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by NickelDimer
[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...

stay at 10 teams
53 (32.7%)
add UConn and Dayton
33 (20.4%)
add UConn and VCU (Gtown may veto)
14 (8.6%)
add UConn and highest ranked team available (Wichita St?)
18 (11.1%)
add UConn and someone else
44 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Author Topic: If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...  (Read 71767 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...
« Reply #225 on: July 27, 2016, 09:49:23 PM »
Multiple reports on Twitter are claiming that the Big 12 will be inviting BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis within the next two weeks.

UConn fans are less than pleased. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #226 on: July 27, 2016, 10:02:31 PM »
Multiple reports on Twitter are claiming that the Big 12 will be inviting BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis within the next two weeks.

This is in line with what I expected.  I really thought they would only go to 12 for now (BYU and Cincinnati), and then add Memphis and another to get to 14 later.  I had thought Texas still had a veto out on Houston, so was expecting them to be out.  Houstonwarrior's great insight though makes this all make a lot of sense. 

With Houston driving the expansion, it was more logical to go to 14 right away.  BYU and Cincinnati were obvious choices, so with them...you would have been stuck at the undesirable 13.  Geographically and the Fedex connection makes Memphis the best choice for 14.  They have the most potential to grow as a football program, because of resources and now it is sounding like the Big12 connection only makes them more likely to grow.

UCONN, as expected is out.  They really should drop football.  The longterm move is to go to the P4 instead of P5.  The only way UCONN is getting into the ACC is if teams are poached and the P4 is created.

At that point, UCONN is still a second tier football conference.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2016, 10:03:28 PM »

So, the American is pretty much UConn, Temple, and SMU? I guess USF and UCF. Man, that really leaves UConn out in the cold. From a basketball perspective, which is still their bell cow, that pretty much drops them to mid-major status. Maybe 2-3 bids per year and not even a top-10 league anymore? How the mighty are falling...
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #228 on: July 27, 2016, 10:24:53 PM »
So, the American is pretty much UConn, Temple, and SMU? I guess USF and UCF. Man, that really leaves UConn out in the cold. From a basketball perspective, which is still their bell cow, that pretty much drops them to mid-major status. Maybe 2-3 bids per year and not even a top-10 league anymore? How the mighty are falling...
Dont forget ECU and Tulane....
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2016, 11:32:40 PM »
The ACC put a lot of effort into making the media rights deal happen with Florida State. Florida State is fully committed and believes the ACC is the best place for them now. They are the football crown jewel and as long as they keep renewing the media rights deal the league will stay in tact.

And if they received an invite from the B1G or SEC they would be gone in a heartbeat.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2016, 11:58:08 PM »
I would like to once again say that if the AAC does, in fact, lose Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis, thereby crippling the conference in basketball and cementing UConn's prestigious basketball program's future in doubt, I would want the Big East to hold off on officially inviting UConn back for non-football sports until UConn officially drops or de-emphasizes its football program.  We would be in a position of negotiating power and strength, and would not need to make a special partnership/arrangement with them in order to re-join the Big East.  Force them to remove football, and they never again become a threat to leave the conference. 

At that point, for UConn, it's either that or join the MAC as a full-member or the Atlantic-10.  The options are very limited.  I have a hunch that, playing Tulane, East Carolina, Tulsa, SMU, UCF and USF as conference staples is not long-term (nor is playing independents Army, UMass, Idaho and New Mexico State) regularly.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #231 on: July 28, 2016, 12:09:48 AM »
BYU insider board reporting it as well...

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=16208156

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #232 on: July 28, 2016, 02:23:51 AM »
BYU insider board reporting it as well...

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=16208156

That's great. The BYU & Utah Twitter pretty much says "we told you this wasn't happening, and that was correct, but now it is, and we're still correct."
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #233 on: July 28, 2016, 06:19:58 AM »
And if they received an invite from the B1G or SEC they would be gone in a heartbeat.
That is incorrect. FSU took all that into consideration when they granted the media rights which cemented their position in the ACC for a long time. The Big 10 or SEC are not going to dilute their earnings to take in a school that can't bring any revenue to the table.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #234 on: July 28, 2016, 06:49:45 AM »
That is incorrect. FSU took all that into consideration when they granted the media rights which cemented their position in the ACC for a long time. The Big 10 or SEC are not going to dilute their earnings to take in a school that can't bring any revenue to the table.

Florida State was given the choice between the SEC and the ACC back in early 90s. They chose the ACC for short term, football related reasons. It was a poor choice in the long run. I have no doubt they would make a different decision if they could go back in time. The only reason the ACC is the best place for FSU is because they have no other options.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #235 on: July 28, 2016, 07:30:49 AM »

You seem to think that FSU had a choice. There is no invite for them right now. There was no other option for them but to go along with the ACC. If the SEC or B1G came calling, that would be it.

That being said, I don't think the B1G or the SEC is interested in FSU. It's a terrible school with a great but dirty football program. I think when the B1G and SEC come, FSU will be stuck in the ACC. If they ended up anywhere it would be the B12 but the ACC had to be raised first.
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #236 on: July 28, 2016, 08:06:38 AM »
Florida Sate isn't a "terrible" school unless you think that schools like Iowa and Nebraska are "terrible" too.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #237 on: July 28, 2016, 10:15:47 AM »
Houston, a recent Tier One School designate,  spurred the Big 12 to this action. After a 13-1 season and beating Fla State in a New Years Bowl, UH doubled down with generous contracts etc shooting for another New years bowl this year. Its the most aggressive non Power 5 program in the country about wanting to join the power 5.

To that end, just a few days before all the Big 12 expansion announcements, a local report (dont think it was noticed much nationally) had UH meeting with PAC 12 officials about joining. Not coincidentally B12 almost immediately announced an expansion study, and upped it to 4 teams. UT (who kept UH out of the original group joining B12) has already come out in favor of UH now joining.

With TAMU going to the SEC,  Houstonians have a 2-3 hr drive before they get to any B12 venue. The B12 needs to be in Houston and UH will be one of the choices....yes there is the politicking needed with the northern schools' votes,  but the northern Division isnt the political strength of this conference.

There is a timing issue due to AAC withdrawal issues and the phasing in of new Big12 members to full shares UH wont be B12 with full B12 shares until the end of this decade.

And their one loss was from UConn.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #238 on: July 28, 2016, 10:16:43 AM »
That being said, I don't think the B1G or the SEC is interested in FSU. It's a terrible school with a great but dirty football program.

This is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my entire life... your implication that the B1G and SEC wouldn't want a terrible school with a great but dirty football program is tantamount to a bunch of klansmen telling a skinhead to go pound sand.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #239 on: July 28, 2016, 10:19:27 AM »
Florida Sate isn't a "terrible" school unless you think that schools like Iowa and Nebraska are "terrible" too.
Yes, there really are not many "terrible" schools in the US at any level.  Its more about how schools make wink and look the other way relative to athletics.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #240 on: July 28, 2016, 10:25:12 AM »
Yes, there really are not many "terrible" schools in the US at any level.

Tell that to the investors who were long on CECO five years ago.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #241 on: July 28, 2016, 10:32:44 AM »
Tell that to the investors who were long on CECO five years ago.
Re-read my post.  Did not say there were no "terrible" schools.   ;)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #242 on: July 28, 2016, 11:50:15 AM »
This is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my entire life... your implication that the B1G and SEC wouldn't want a terrible school with a great but dirty football program is tantamount to a bunch of klansmen telling a skinhead to go pound sand.

It's not. The implication is that the B1G and SEC wouldn't take them when they could take Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, or Miami instead. All are more appealing to them than Florida State. An argument could even be made for North Carolina State over Florida State.
TAMU

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #243 on: July 28, 2016, 12:40:38 PM »
It's not. The implication is that the B1G and SEC wouldn't take them when they could take Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, or Miami instead. All are more appealing to them than Florida State. An argument could even be made for North Carolina State over Florida State.

My comment was not an indictment of the implication you were making.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #244 on: July 29, 2016, 02:37:18 PM »
I would like to once again say that if the AAC does, in fact, lose Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis, thereby crippling the conference in basketball and cementing UConn's prestigious basketball program's future in doubt, I would want the Big East to hold off on officially inviting UConn back for non-football sports until UConn officially drops or de-emphasizes its football program.  We would be in a position of negotiating power and strength, and would not need to make a special partnership/arrangement with them in order to re-join the Big East.  Force them to remove football, and they never again become a threat to leave the conference. 

At that point, for UConn, it's either that or join the MAC as a full-member or the Atlantic-10.  The options are very limited.  I have a hunch that, playing Tulane, East Carolina, Tulsa, SMU, UCF and USF as conference staples is not long-term (nor is playing independents Army, UMass, Idaho and New Mexico State) regularly.

They could always park their football somewhere like the MAC.  At least then they would be competing against other relatively local schools that might push fan involvement.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #245 on: July 29, 2016, 02:45:15 PM »
They could always park their football somewhere like the MAC.  At least then they would be competing against other relatively local schools that might push fan involvement.

I just looked at a map of the American Conference.  If Cincinnati is gone, the only other northeast school in the American is Temple.

So let me throw this out there: UConn and Temple BOTH park football in the MAC and send everything else to the Big East.  If you're the MAC do you turn down two schools for football-only (even though neither is a huge name)? If you're the Big East do you turn down this pair, even though Temple and Nova share the same city?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #246 on: July 29, 2016, 03:21:39 PM »
I just looked at a map of the American Conference.  If Cincinnati is gone, the only other northeast school in the American is Temple.

So let me throw this out there: UConn and Temple BOTH park football in the MAC and send everything else to the Big East.  If you're the MAC do you turn down two schools for football-only (even though neither is a huge name)? If you're the Big East do you turn down this pair, even though Temple and Nova share the same city?

Works for me ... if the Big East is going to expand at all, that is. I'm fine staying at 10 unless Notre Dame joins on.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #247 on: July 29, 2016, 03:33:19 PM »
The MAC will not take football-only members after the UCF, Temple and UMass fiascos over the past 15 years.  They'll only accept full members moving forward (hence why the essentially kicked out UMass a while back).

UConn and/or Temple will not be football-only members of the MAC, and they certainly aren't parking their non-football sports there either (not just due to money, but also due to exposure and TV deals).

When the Big 12 announces it's adding BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis in the next week or so, UConn will be be faced with the following options:

1.) Remain in the American, with schools like Tulane, SMU, Tulsa, UCF, USF, ECU and Temple and hope for the best (possible invite in 10+ years by the ACC - which is still a long shot).
2.) Move football to independence, and an apply for a non-football membership in either the Big East or Atlantic-10 (still not convinced the Big East would toss a lifeline their way without assurances they could not bolt for another power conference).
3.) Drop football altogether, and move all Olympic sports to Big East or Atlantic-10 (this would be a very tough financial and emotional decision to make, but, long-term, is probably best for their athletic department).

Other than that, there really is no alternative.  The power conferences will be locked-in for the next 10+ years due to the Grant of Rights for each conference.  There will not be intra-power conference poaching (like TAMU to SEC, Nebraska to B1G, Colorado to PAC-12, etc.), due to exit fees and TV deals.  UConn will not be getting an invitation by the B1G or ACC during that time.  Even if the Big 12 implodes if/when Texas/Oklahoma bolt, the money they receive will not be "power conference" money.  They are locked out, officially.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:51:29 PM by GoldenWarrior11 »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #248 on: July 29, 2016, 07:56:02 PM »
Any possibility that the AAC decides to disband for all non-football sports and maintain themselves as a football league only.

UCONN, SMU, and Temple would probably be on board with that hoping that they can all lobby for the BE. 

Then the AAC poaches Charlotte, Marshall, UAB, La Tech to fill the football league.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #249 on: July 29, 2016, 08:36:28 PM »
Any possibility that the AAC decides to disband for all non-football sports and maintain themselves as a football league only.

UCONN, SMU, and Temple would probably be on board with that hoping that they can all lobby for the BE. 

Then the AAC poaches Charlotte, Marshall, UAB, La Tech to fill the football league.

That's a good point, maybe the AAC lets them stay as football only, and they put everything else in the Big East.  I'm OK with that.