[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...

stay at 10 teams
53 (32.7%)
add UConn and Dayton
33 (20.4%)
add UConn and VCU (Gtown may veto)
14 (8.6%)
add UConn and highest ranked team available (Wichita St?)
18 (11.1%)
add UConn and someone else
44 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Author Topic: If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...  (Read 71769 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...
« Reply #200 on: July 25, 2016, 02:21:55 PM »
I agree with the last part... but if it were a financially positive move, I don't think that FSU or Clemson would really care about whether they had to play UCONN in football or not; it's not like UCONN is worse than Duke (or how bad UNC would be if they had to send their players to actual classes).

UConn is a lot worse than Duke these days.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #201 on: July 26, 2016, 08:08:54 AM »
UConn is a lot worse than Duke these days.

There's really no comparison between UConn and Duke.

As a university, Duke has an endowment of $7 billion. UConn's is less than 1/10 of that at $437 million. (Marquette's is over $500 million, by the way.)

When it comes to men's basketball, the difference is almost as great. True, UConn has won 4 men's national championships to 5 for Duke. But the Huskies have missed 2 of the last 6 NCAA tournaments. Duke has made 20 straight. And Duke has made an incredible 16 Final Fours versus 5 for UConn.

Looking at the program overall, the Huskies are more likely to become Memphis in the next 5-10 years than to challenge Duke for another title.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #202 on: July 26, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »
I was referring to UCONN's football program.  In twelve years at FBS, it's been to six bowl games.  Duke has been to six bowl games in the last 55 years.

Maybe Duke has turned things around for good, but it's hard to say that UCONN would be a greater drag on ACC football than Duke has been over the last century.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2016, 11:18:44 AM »
I was referring to UCONN's football program.  In twelve years at FBS, it's been to six bowl games.  Duke has been to six bowl games in the last 55 years.

Maybe Duke has turned things around for good, but it's hard to say that UCONN would be a greater drag on ACC football than Duke has been over the last century.

No conference brings in new football programs thinking they'd be worse than all but one of the current conference programs.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:38:37 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #204 on: July 26, 2016, 11:23:54 AM »

Yes, Duke's football past has been totally pathetic. But they've been competitive in the ACC (.500 conference record or better) the past 3 seasons, including winning their division a couple years ago. The ACC's a lot tougher level of competition than the AAC — which, in my opinion, is still riding on the former standing of the Big East when it comes to bowl game invites.

If I were the commissioner of some hypothetical conference looking to expand and had my choice between Duke football and UConn football, I'd go with Duke every time.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #205 on: July 26, 2016, 11:27:55 AM »
No conference brings in new football programs thinking they'd be better than all but one of the current conference programs.

No argument here.  My point was that if the money were to flow positive with UCONN in the ACC, nobody in the ACC is going to balk because of how bad UCONN football is.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #206 on: July 26, 2016, 11:49:04 AM »
No argument here.  My point was that if the money were to flow positive with UCONN in the ACC, nobody in the ACC is going to balk because of how bad UCONN football is.

Yep. See the B10 and Rutgers and Maryland.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #207 on: July 26, 2016, 02:04:13 PM »
The more I think about it, the more UConn's aspirations to be a "great university" seem delusional — or at the very least, conceited.

Every single school in the ACC has a larger endowment than UConn, most by a factor of two or more. The same holds true for the Big 12. In fact, according to the latest figures I could find, more than half the schools in the Big East have larger endowments than UConn: Creighton, DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, St. John's and Villanova.

Somehow UConn still insists it belongs with the big boys. Granted, endowment is only one measure of a university's stature and success. But it sure seems like football should be the least of their worries.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #208 on: July 26, 2016, 05:15:48 PM »
All of this public posturing and political swaying will all be for naught.  The Big 12 has all of the data, figures, and research it needs to make a decision - and I would guess that they have their list ready to go.  If fans/alumni think that one powerpoint, one presentation, or one brochure (like UConn is trying to do) is going to flip a switch with the Big 12 to extend them an invitation, then they are sorely mistaken.  The publicity for the G5 schools is really for their fans, students and alumni (in an attempt that they will be treated as a legitimate candidate, and in order to boost interest and donations - "See?  We were so close! We need to raise prices and ask for more money to get over the hump."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #209 on: July 26, 2016, 08:49:10 PM »

Yep. See the B10 and Rutgers and Maryland.

The problem is that UCONN isn't going to even be a break even school for any of the conferences.  Not enough of a market draw in football. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #210 on: July 26, 2016, 09:41:29 PM »
The problem is that UCONN isn't going to even be a break even school for any of the conferences.  Not enough of a market draw in football.

No, but when someone poaches an ACC team, they'll be an acceptable replacement.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #211 on: July 26, 2016, 11:14:50 PM »
No, but when someone poaches an ACC team, they'll be an acceptable replacement.

Good point.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #212 on: July 27, 2016, 09:14:12 AM »
Right, which is why I think UCONN will be fine languishing in the AAC for the time being, even if it is a few years. Eventually, the Big 10 will poach another 2 teams from the ACC. At the point, UCONN will be one of the few decent options left for the ACC to reload.

They will get to the ACC eventually, although it will be a weakened ACC lacking 2 of its more valuable schools, perhaps North Carolina or Virginia, who will have fled to the Big 10 by then. At that point, UCONN would make sense for the ACC.

I'd take UCONN into the Big East, I just don't think it is going to happen.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 09:17:59 AM by Coleman »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #213 on: July 27, 2016, 09:34:38 AM »
The SEC and B1G will both add two more schools in the future. My guess is that all 4 will come from the same conference, either the ACC or the B12. My money right now would be on the ACC but we will see. What will be interesting is if the B12 is then able to attract 2 ACC programs. That would be six programs gone and all of the sudden the ACC looks like the AAC.

There are other factors too that might greatly change the college sports landscape.   UAB already dropped football but got cold feet. Idaho is going FCS. Eastern Michigan, Hawaii, and New Mexico State are all considering FCS. Some schools are giving up on the dream of football money. Probably a while (if ever) before any P5 schools reach that point but the thought is out there now. The Big East is perfectly positioned in the basketball only world to have their pick of schools who want to get out of the football chase.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #214 on: July 27, 2016, 10:07:07 AM »
I would like to see how any ACC  team gets around the grant of rights when the B1G come calling.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2016, 10:51:11 AM »
Houston doesn't make sense to me. Why take another school in Texas when you already have 4? There are way more Texas, Baylor, TCU, and Tech fans in Houston than there are Cougar fans.

BYU is solid though.
Houston, a recent Tier One School designate,  spurred the Big 12 to this action. After a 13-1 season and beating Fla State in a New Years Bowl, UH doubled down with generous contracts etc shooting for another New years bowl this year. Its the most aggressive non Power 5 program in the country about wanting to join the power 5.

To that end, just a few days before all the Big 12 expansion announcements, a local report (dont think it was noticed much nationally) had UH meeting with PAC 12 officials about joining. Not coincidentally B12 almost immediately announced an expansion study, and upped it to 4 teams. UT (who kept UH out of the original group joining B12) has already come out in favor of UH now joining.

With TAMU going to the SEC,  Houstonians have a 2-3 hr drive before they get to any B12 venue. The B12 needs to be in Houston and UH will be one of the choices....yes there is the politicking needed with the northern schools' votes,  but the northern Division isnt the political strength of this conference.

There is a timing issue due to AAC withdrawal issues and the phasing in of new Big12 members to full shares UH wont be B12 with full B12 shares until the end of this decade.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #216 on: July 27, 2016, 11:44:41 AM »
I would like to see how any ACC  team gets around the grant of rights when the B1G come calling.

This, isn't it like a $50 million exit fee now?

lessthannick11

• Team Captain
« Reply #217 on: July 27, 2016, 12:03:26 PM »
What did Maryland pay?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #218 on: July 27, 2016, 12:17:08 PM »
A big plus in Houston's favor is simply the enormity of Texas. With more than 27 million people, the state's population is larger than Arkansas, Kansas, Iowa, Louisiana, Missouri and Oklahoma combined. There's plenty of room for Houston in the Big 12.

In fact, from 1976 to 1996, Houston's football program belonged to the same athletic conference as 7 other Texas schools (Baylor, Rice, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, TCU and Texas Tech) as part of the Southwest Conference.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #219 on: July 27, 2016, 01:02:36 PM »
What did Maryland pay?

Maryland was before the grant of media rights.

Guys (and gals)... what the ACC did with their media rights is essentially bulletproof.  The whole driver behind conference expansion is the ability to add content (i.e. games to broadcast on the cable network).  So all of the ACC schools essentially signed away their home media rights to the ACC, meaning that if UNC left to join the B?G, all of their home games would still belong to the ACC Network (or whoever the ACC contracts with).  In short, the ACC completely cock-blocked their members from the siren song of the SEC or B?G through 2027.

Nobody is being poached from the ACC for another decade.  And by then, the relegation of football to "stepchild" status will probably be in swinging across the the P5.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #220 on: July 27, 2016, 01:17:38 PM »
This about sums up UConn, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis and all of the AAC schools:

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #221 on: July 27, 2016, 01:41:42 PM »

Guys (and gals)... what the ACC did with their media rights is essentially bulletproof.  The whole driver behind conference expansion is the ability to add content (i.e. games to broadcast on the cable network).  So all of the ACC schools essentially signed away their home media rights to the ACC, meaning that if UNC left to join the B?G, all of their home games would still belong to the ACC Network (or whoever the ACC contracts with).  In short, the ACC completely cock-blocked their members from the siren song of the SEC or B?G through 2027.

Nobody is being poached from the ACC for another decade.  And by then, the relegation of football to "stepchild" status will probably be in swinging across the the P5.

I get that. But people smarter than me have told me that a GoR just makes poaching delayed and difficult. Not impossible. I do agree that the B12  expanding is the last football driven expansion for awhile, but I don't know that there won't be more before the GoR expires in 2036
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2016, 01:54:58 PM »
I get that. But people smarter than me have told me that a GoR just makes poaching delayed and difficult. Not impossible. I do agree that the B12  expanding is the last football driven expansion for awhile, but I don't know that there won't be more before the GoR expires in 2036

Put it this way, the B?G or SEC could always purchase the media rights for the team they poach from the ACC.  Considering the ACC gets to name their price, you're absolutely correct... it would be difficult but not impossible. 

Unless the price is:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/e/cf7uJDhVZIE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/e/cf7uJDhVZIE</a>

MU82

• All American
« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2016, 06:49:44 PM »
I agree it's possible. But if a conference wants to poach a team from the ACC, it had better REALLY want that team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #224 on: July 27, 2016, 09:07:46 PM »

The ACC put a lot of effort into making the media rights deal happen with Florida State. Florida State is fully committed and believes the ACC is the best place for them now. They are the football crown jewel and as long as they keep renewing the media rights deal the league will stay in tact.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback