Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...

stay at 10 teams
53 (32.7%)
add UConn and Dayton
33 (20.4%)
add UConn and VCU (Gtown may veto)
14 (8.6%)
add UConn and highest ranked team available (Wichita St?)
18 (11.1%)
add UConn and someone else
44 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Author Topic: If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...  (Read 71759 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...
« Reply #175 on: July 23, 2016, 01:44:38 AM »
UConn, and other schools, view football and sports in general as a marketing expense.  They get people to campus, rally community and alumni support, and provide exposure.  Viewing it as a straight profit or loss misses the point entirely.

The real question is if it is a legitimate marketing expense.  Or are there better ways to use that money.

For UConn, then they are idiots.  Basketball gets them 10,000 times the exposure as football.  I understand for other schools, that getting their name across the ticker even losing 100-0 gets them exposure.  That's not the case for UConn.

Football doesn't bring in enough people to campus or rally the community and alumni for UConn.  They stick with it solely because they think they sunk too much money to turn back and are still praying for a bid to the big leagues.

Their sole analysis is that if they get an invite to a P5 conference, they can recoup the probably around $30-50M they have lost on football over the last 5 years.  And then, they can break even moving forward.  Problem is, it is unlikely they get the invite.

Even if they do, they will never offset the $30-50M in losses.  They will be required to heavily invest in expanding stadiums, facilities and be traveling all their teams across the country, all while initially receiving less than a full share.  Once they do receive the full share, they will be sinking all addition profits into an arms race.  Its a less than zero sum game except for about 20-30 teams nationwide. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:46:47 AM by forgetful »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #176 on: July 23, 2016, 07:24:56 AM »
Yeah I don't disagree with much of that.  We will have to see how it plays out I guess.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #177 on: July 23, 2016, 11:13:27 AM »
For UConn, then they are idiots.  Basketball gets them 10,000 times the exposure as football.  I understand for other schools, that getting their name across the ticker even losing 100-0 gets them exposure.  That's not the case for UConn.

Football doesn't bring in enough people to campus or rally the community and alumni for UConn.  They stick with it solely because they think they sunk too much money to turn back and are still praying for a bid to the big leagues.

Their sole analysis is that if they get an invite to a P5 conference, they can recoup the probably around $30-50M they have lost on football over the last 5 years.  And then, they can break even moving forward.  Problem is, it is unlikely they get the invite.

Even if they do, they will never offset the $30-50M in losses.  They will be required to heavily invest in expanding stadiums, facilities and be traveling all their teams across the country, all while initially receiving less than a full share.  Once they do receive the full share, they will be sinking all addition profits into an arms race.  Its a less than zero sum game except for about 20-30 teams nationwide.
U Conn snatched defeat from the jaws of victory when they decided to put their stadium in Hartford . They would have been much better off with an on campus facility. Could have had some really nice football weekends.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #178 on: July 23, 2016, 12:58:04 PM »
BYU is saying that while not preferred, they are will accept an offer for football only.

I will guess that UConn would take that in a heartbeat. 

If UConn comes knocking on the door to move all other sports to the Big East, I think we should say yes. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #179 on: July 23, 2016, 01:09:44 PM »
U Conn snatched defeat from the jaws of victory when they decided to put their stadium in Hartford . They would have been much better off with an on campus facility. Could have had some really nice football weekends.

I never realized it wasn't on campus.  I agree with you.  Dumb idea.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2016, 01:10:17 PM »
BYU is saying that while not preferred, they are will accept an offer for football only.

I will guess that UConn would take that in a heartbeat. 

If UConn comes knocking on the door to move all other sports to the Big East, I think we should say yes.

I would be more than ok with that outcome. But I am having trouble figuring out why the B12 would want UConn for football only.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #181 on: July 23, 2016, 01:10:52 PM »

Miami has the same problem. Always build your stadium on campus.
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #182 on: July 23, 2016, 01:15:45 PM »

And that makes tons of sense.  BYU has a place to keep their non-football sports already (WCC) and then the B12 doesn't have to accommodate their "no Sunday" requirement.

I would be more than ok with that outcome. But I am having trouble figuring out why the B12 would want UConn for football only.

Right.  Makes a lot more sense to take the best school for all sports at that point.  Having an odd number of schools isn't that big of a deal.  The B10 did it for years.  The ACC does it now.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2016, 02:20:50 PM »

Well if Big 12 is looking at adding 2 schools and BYU says they are willing to be football only, I could see the Big 12 looking at adding another football only school.  I don't know if the other universities would be willing to do that but I could see UConn offering that option as they could possibly have a very soft landing spot in the Big East.

I think it is a win-win for everyone.  Big 12 gets two football schools to get their Championship game without adding the additional expenses/issues of other sports.  Some of their teams get exposure playing a winnable game on the east coast.  UConn gets football and goes into a much better basketball conference.  BYU gets a bump in football from independent to Big 12.  Big East gets a tradition rich men's and women's basketball program.  With BYU offering up football only, I think the Big 12 might run with that idea.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 02:25:40 PM by mufanatic »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2016, 02:51:57 PM »
Well if Big 12 is looking at adding 2 schools and BYU says they are willing to be football only, I could see the Big 12 looking at adding another football only school.  I don't know if the other universities would be willing to do that but I could see UConn offering that option as they could possibly have a very soft landing spot in the Big East.

I think it is a win-win for everyone.  Big 12 gets two football schools to get their Championship game without adding the additional expenses/issues of other sports.  Some of their teams get exposure playing a winnable game on the east coast.  UConn gets football and goes into a much better basketball conference.  BYU gets a bump in football from independent to Big 12.  Big East gets a tradition rich men's and women's basketball program.  With BYU offering up football only, I think the Big 12 might run with that idea.

I get all that, but football is the weakest part of UConns candidacy. I think if they go football only there are other schools with better football programs.
TAMU

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2016, 03:11:37 PM »
the football stadium is east of Hartford.  Probably 6-8 miles from the Storrs campus.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2016, 03:46:19 PM »
I never realized it wasn't on campus.  I agree with you.  Dumb idea.

There are several reasons why it's not on campus. 
1) They did not have a place on campus.
2) The state was paying and wanted it downtown Hartford and there really wasn't a place there either.  The Rent is only 2 miles from downtown.
3) UTC / Pratt & Whitney basically gave the land for nothing to the state significantly reducing the cost to build a stadium.
4) The stadium lead to full development including commercial and office of the neighborhood (still in progress) providing jobs.
5) When they built the Big East wasn't imploding.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »
the football stadium is east of Hartford.  Probably 6-8 miles from the Storrs campus.
25 miles from campus.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2016, 04:18:07 PM »
The scary prospect about this whole situation is that if/when UConn gets left behind yet again (2003-2005 w/ the ACC, 2010-2012 w/ the ACC, and now 2016 w/ the Big 12), it still will not convince Connecticut, or its legislators, administrators, fans and alumni, that pursuing a future in a power football conference is chasing fool's gold.  They will not be able to gain entry into the B1G, or the ACC or the Big 12 - not today, not tomorrow, not next week, not next year, not ever.  They don't have the credentials or candidacy to get in. 

Fact of the matter is that their football team is not prestigious enough, doesn't have enough fan support, doesn't bring a strong recruiting area and continues to struggle against other mediocre G5 football programs (Tulane, SMU, USF, UCF, etc.).  They honestly think that playing Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor and TCU will bring them more success? 

Their main recruiting pitch to other conferences is that they bring the New York market.  Well, guess what?  Notre Dame brings more of the New York market than UConn does (and apparently so does Rutgers and other B1G and ACC schools).  My hope is that they, eventually, make the right choice and cease their pursuit (like so many other schools have had in history) of FBS/D1 football.  It will only bring their fans pain and misery every time expansion comes up again.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2016, 04:18:40 PM »
2) The state was paying and wanted it downtown Hartford and there really wasn't a place there either.  The Rent is only 2 miles from downtown.
3) UTC / Pratt & Whitney basically gave the land for nothing to the state significantly reducing the cost to build a stadium.
4) The stadium lead to full development including commercial and office of the neighborhood (still in progress) providing jobs.
Most of the reasons listed above were politically driven.  There is plenty of farm land around the campus. They could have gotten it done if they were creative.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2016, 07:14:16 PM »
The scary prospect about this whole situation is that if/when UConn gets left behind yet again (2003-2005 w/ the ACC, 2010-2012 w/ the ACC, and now 2016 w/ the Big 12), it still will not convince Connecticut, or its legislators, administrators, fans and alumni, that pursuing a future in a power football conference is chasing fool's gold.  They will not be able to gain entry into the B1G, or the ACC or the Big 12 - not today, not tomorrow, not next week, not next year, not ever.  They don't have the credentials or candidacy to get in. 

Fact of the matter is that their football team is not prestigious enough, doesn't have enough fan support, doesn't bring a strong recruiting area and continues to struggle against other mediocre G5 football programs (Tulane, SMU, USF, UCF, etc.).  They honestly think that playing Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor and TCU will bring them more success? 

Their main recruiting pitch to other conferences is that they bring the New York market.  Well, guess what?  Notre Dame brings more of the New York market than UConn does (and apparently so does Rutgers and other B1G and ACC schools).  My hope is that they, eventually, make the right choice and cease their pursuit (like so many other schools have had in history) of FBS/D1 football.  It will only bring their fans pain and misery every time expansion comes up again.

I actually think UConn eventually finds its way into the ACC. I just don't know what the ACC will look like when they get there.

The ACC and B12 won't likely expand to 16 until the B1G and SEC do so. The B1G and SEC won't expand by taking AAC teams, they'll expand by poaching from the ACC and B12. And both of those conferences have set up some pretty impressive barriers for teams looking for greener pastures. I don't think the GoR is as ironclad as people make it out to be, but it should deter expansion for awhile. This could be the last boat out of the AAC for a while.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2016, 01:15:14 AM »
I actually think UConn eventually finds its way into the ACC. I just don't know what the ACC will look like when they get there.

The ACC and B12 won't likely expand to 16 until the B1G and SEC do so. The B1G and SEC won't expand by taking AAC teams, they'll expand by poaching from the ACC and B12. And both of those conferences have set up some pretty impressive barriers for teams looking for greener pastures. I don't think the GoR is as ironclad as people make it out to be, but it should deter expansion for awhile. This could be the last boat out of the AAC for a while.
U Conn is an excellent fit for the ACC and that conference is where they truly want to be and should be. The two senators from Kentucky pulled a lot of strings behind the scenes to get Louisville in the ACC ahead of them.

I see the Big Ten poaching from the Big 12 with the big prize there being Oklahoma and Kansas, which will round out their Western Division and give them two legendary schools one in football and one in basketball. It will also renew the Oklahoma Nebraska rivalry which was great.
                       ---Al McGuire

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #192 on: July 25, 2016, 07:38:28 AM »

Correct if I'm wrong but also ...
6) The Huskies football stadium replaced what would have been the Patriots new stadium after they used Hartford as leverage to get their new digs in Foxboro?
7) After the Whalers left town Hartford wanted to get a new professional team, but since no one wanted to move there, they thought that big time college football was the next best thing?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 07:40:22 AM by SaveOD238 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2016, 07:42:49 AM »
U Conn is an excellent fit for the ACC and that conference is where they truly want to be and should be. The two senators from Kentucky pulled a lot of strings behind the scenes to get Louisville in the ACC ahead of them.

I see the Big Ten poaching from the Big 12 with the big prize there being Oklahoma and Kansas, which will round out their Western Division and give them two legendary schools one in football and one in basketball. It will also renew the Oklahoma Nebraska rivalry which was great.

Oklahoma isn't leaving an affiliation with Texas. The state is too important to them football, student and alumni wise.

After the B12 decides what to do, I think major conference reshuffling is done for the time being.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2016, 09:12:43 AM »
UCONN will never get into the ACC as long as Florida State and Clemson are there. Their football is just too weak to benefit football schools, and then there's the whole Boston College thing from 2004.

Bottom line, too many ACC schools don't want or think they need UConn.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2016, 09:34:22 AM »
Miami has the same problem. Always build your stadium on campus.

Agreed...when the school has a choice.  The U of Miami isn't the primary tenant in its stadium like UConn is.  The primary tenant (and priority) has always been the Dolphins, and all the lobbying in the world wouldn't have influenced them from building the stadium where they felt it would be best for the Dolphins.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2016, 10:33:06 AM »
UCONN will never get into the ACC as long as Florida State and Clemson are there. Their football is just too weak to benefit football schools, and then there's the whole Boston College thing from 2004.

Bottom line, too many ACC schools don't want or think they need UConn.

I agree with the last part... but if it were a financially positive move, I don't think that FSU or Clemson would really care about whether they had to play UCONN in football or not; it's not like UCONN is worse than Duke (or how bad UNC would be if they had to send their players to actual classes).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2016, 01:02:29 PM »
Agreed...when the school has a choice.  The U of Miami isn't the primary tenant in its stadium like UConn is.  The primary tenant (and priority) has always been the Dolphins, and all the lobbying in the world wouldn't have influenced them from building the stadium where they felt it would be best for the Dolphins.

Obviously the U can't move their current stadium. My point was that if financially possible, they would benefit more from an on campus stadium.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #198 on: July 25, 2016, 01:12:04 PM »
I think UConn is right where the ACC wants them. Geographically, they're a poor fit for the Big 12 or Pac-12 as an all-sports school, and even for football it's quite a distance. Academically, the Big 10 would never consider them. Football-wise, the SEC wouldn't bother with them. The ONLY P5 conference they make sense for is the ACC. Now sure, maybe the Big 12 takes them as a football only school, but considering what a pain WVU is for non-revenue, I can't see them pushing even further out for all athletics.

The only conference that will take UConn is the ACC, which means that if the Big 10 or SEC raid the ACC's closet again, they have at least one fallback option to keep them afloat. Have to imagine that lessens the stress on the ACC leaders a bit.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #199 on: July 25, 2016, 01:38:20 PM »
Correct if I'm wrong but also ...
6) The Huskies football stadium replaced what would have been the Patriots new stadium after they used Hartford as leverage to get their new digs in Foxboro?
7) After the Whalers left town Hartford wanted to get a new professional team, but since no one wanted to move there, they thought that big time college football was the next best thing?

Yes.