[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...

stay at 10 teams
53 (32.7%)
add UConn and Dayton
33 (20.4%)
add UConn and VCU (Gtown may veto)
14 (8.6%)
add UConn and highest ranked team available (Wichita St?)
18 (11.1%)
add UConn and someone else
44 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Author Topic: If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...  (Read 72935 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
So then why is going to a bowl game a reason to not drop football?

Alumni interest and contributions.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2016, 02:19:43 PM »
Let UConn dream big about football while playing the likes of USF, East Carolina, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF and the other C-USA castoffs.  Once Cincinnati bolts, they will be left alone on an island in the American.  This is the last train out of the G5 for another 10 years (possibly more if the P5 have their way). 

Once all interest has been killed with their football program long-term (which would only be a matter of time playing zero regional rivals and very little big-time programs), only then should the Big East offer support and a life raft.  We shouldn't be their "safety net".  We should want to be their top choice.  The only way that happens is without football.  We shouldn't settle for being sloppy seconds - we are better than that. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2016, 02:21:30 PM »
I scan the Boneyard occasionally too.  I think GoldenWarrior11 may have partially misread.  The Boneyard consensus to me seems to be that it would be very super dumb to make their football independent or stick it someplace like the MAC and then join the Big East for everything else.  Better to stay where they are.  But if they get a P5 invite for football only then they would be on board. 
The consensus is they want their Tier 3 TV rights back because they get more $ then they get sharing with the AAC. 

Don't forget that UConn is in the NYC & the Hartford/New Haven TV markets, which no other on t BigXII expansion list can beat.

MUFinCT, I'm curious. How many UConn fans actually care about their football team? I know the administration cares because it makes them money. I know fans care in a sense because they know it would be good for their school if football were to find its way into a power conference. But how many are actually passionate UConn football fans? How well attended are games? Do people discuss recruiting over coffee or on chat boards? Do fans get into senseless arguments about how the backup QB John is so much better the Derrick the current starting QB? Are there UConn freshmen going to their orientation saying "I can't wait for my first UConn football game"?

My outsider perspective (and the few UConn alums I know) tell me that nobody cares. They want to see them do well but really its just something to do until basketball season starts. And when I look at charts like the one in the link you provided (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/7/20/12232064/big-12-conference-realignment-candidates-byu-cincinnati-uconn-houston-ucf) and see that UConn is 1st in social media interest of athletics but LAST in social media interest of football (not only last, but 2nd to last has almost triple the score of UCONN), it seems to confirm that perception.

I'm honestly curious. And if its true, I'm also curious why you invest so much time, energy, and money into something that your fan base doesn't actually like that much.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2016, 02:48:11 PM »
This is how much UConn cares about football.  I see a B1G/Big 12/ACC invite real soon...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2016, 02:56:57 PM »
EXACTLY!

You don't turn down Kate Upton just because you know she might leave you in a year. You say yes and have yourself an amazing year.

Describing UConn as Kate Upton is like describing me as Brad Pitt....if you squint real hard and enjoy a few of Milwaukee's Best before hand you can kind of get there.

There is a scenario where UConn to the Big East makes sense...but you make them come to us, not the other way around.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2016, 03:06:19 PM »
EXACTLY!

You don't turn down Kate Upton just because you know she might leave you in a year. You say yes and have yourself an amazing year.

That's exactly how I played it with Kate. I hope she has as many fond memories as I do.

Oh wait ... Upton? I thought you said Smith!

God bless America, baby!!!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2016, 03:08:04 PM »
Someone posted this link on the Boneyard.
"The Big 12 laid out its checklist for new members, so here's how the candidates stack up."

Ranking 8 candidates for Big 12 expansion by the conference's stated criteria
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/7/20/12232064/big-12-conference-realignment-candidates-byu-cincinnati-uconn-houston-ucf

I liked the Facebook interest. UConn was dead last in football but was first by a mile in hoops.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2016, 03:18:11 PM »
Describing UConn as Kate Upton is like describing me as Brad Pitt....if you squint real hard and enjoy a few of Milwaukee's Best before hand you can kind of get there.

There is a scenario where UConn to the Big East makes sense...but you make them come to us, not the other way around.

They are a basketball blue blood. Besides Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Kansas, Arizona, Indiana, and Louisville I can't think of any other programs deserving to be called Kate Upton.

And UConn is the only Kate Upton that is single. All those other Uptons are married.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2016, 03:31:53 PM »
They are a basketball blue blood. Besides Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Kansas, Arizona, Indiana, and Louisville I can't think of any other programs deserving to be called Kate Upton.

And UConn is the only Kate Upton that is single. All those other Uptons are married.

And have the best program in Woman's bball history.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2016, 03:41:29 PM »

As long as you don't make a bad deal, it doesn't matter who approached who first.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2016, 03:58:23 PM »
As long as you don't make a bad deal, it doesn't matter who approached who first.

Didn't mean it literally.....meant it as a metaphor of they need us more than we need them
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2016, 04:04:11 PM »
Didn't mean it literally.....meant it as a metaphor of they need us more than we need them

That sounds like a recipe for discontent.  If all the improbable things that lead to this scenario line up, it is likely a win-win for both parties.  No need to have them need us more than we need them -- they aren't Dayton.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »
MUFinCT, I'm curious. How many UConn fans actually care about their football team? I know the administration cares because it makes them money. I know fans care in a sense because they know it would be good for their school if football were to find its way into a power conference. But how many are actually passionate UConn football fans? How well attended are games? Do people discuss recruiting over coffee or on chat boards? Do fans get into senseless arguments about how the backup QB John is so much better the Derrick the current starting QB? Are there UConn freshmen going to their orientation saying "I can't wait for my first UConn football game"?

My outsider perspective (and the few UConn alums I know) tell me that nobody cares. They want to see them do well but really its just something to do until basketball season starts. And when I look at charts like the one in the link you provided (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/7/20/12232064/big-12-conference-realignment-candidates-byu-cincinnati-uconn-houston-ucf) and see that UConn is 1st in social media interest of athletics but LAST in social media interest of football (not only last, but 2nd to last has almost triple the score of UCONN), it seems to confirm that perception.

I'm honestly curious. And if its true, I'm also curious why you invest so much time, energy, and money into something that your fan base doesn't actually like that much.

TAMU -
1) The locals care, but remember that UConn football is still relatively new to football.  It's come a very very long way in a very short amount of time. They've been to in a BCS Bowl game.
2) Conference matters.  Most of the AAC teams are just MEH.  But they've had sell-outs when they have played non-conference games against Michigan & Baylor and former conference mate West Virginia.  When RGIII was at Baylor, he said The Rent was the loudest visiting place he ever played at.
3) Wheter a pipe dream or not, the perception is out there that UConn can do for football what it has done in men's & women's basketball in the right conference because it is UConn.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2016, 04:18:18 PM »
This is how much UConn cares about football.  I see a B1G/Big 12/ACC invite real soon...

That's actually a lot of empty seats for a 40,600 seat stadium.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2016, 04:20:13 PM »
That's exactly how I played it with Kate. I hope she has as many fond memories as I do.

Oh wait ... Upton? I thought you said Smith!

God bless America, baby!!!

Let me guess, you made her sing, then suddenly it was all over.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2016, 04:22:11 PM »

It would be a mutually beneficial relationship. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2016, 04:22:54 PM »

They'll fit right in with Miami and Pitt.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2016, 04:30:11 PM »
I am not very good at math, so forgive me if I am clueless. Since RPI also factors in the D1 winning percentage of the opponents of your opponents, wouldn't it be better for the conference to have every team get a UConn level opponent twice in that category instead of two low majors?

In short, it's possible -- but this is more likely to serve the benefit of some teams within the conference more than it would serve the conference as a whole.

Again, if the end game for a conference is to get as many teams into the tourney as possible, you need to enter conference play with as many marbles as possible.  Provided that you're adding a perennial beast in non-conference play, the number of marbles they bring to the conference may be greater than the number of marbles the existing members could earn from playing two other low major teams... but even if you end up with more marbles, now you're moving them around amongst 11 teams instead of 10.

Let's grossly oversimplify this... some wins may be worth 1 marble (like Villanova's win vs. E TN State) and some may be worth 10 marbles (e.g. PC's win vs. Arizona)... but let's say that a non-con win averaged out to 5 marbles per win in the Big East last year.  The BE had 116 wins in non-conference last year, so 580 marbles.  Now, let's say that UCONN, on the whole, plays a non-con schedule that's stronger than the BE's as a whole, or 7 marbles per win.  They'll end up bringing 70 marbles to the Big East... but each of the 10 current teams forego 2 non-con wins (presumably) or 100 marbles because UCONN is now involved, so the conference loses. 

But if the two games each BE team dropped were "3-marble" wins, then the Big East would win because it's only giving up 60 to get 70... or would it?

Consider if UCONN plays a 6-marble schedule?  The Big East gave up 60 marbles to gain 60 marbles but now you have 11 teams fighting for those same 580 marbles instead of 10.  In the foregoing example, you now 11 teams fighting for 590 marbles instead of 10 fighting for 580.  In this case, you'd rather have slightly fewer marbles and one less team.

The long answer is that even if the Big East added UCONN, the conference schedule would remain at 18 games.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:31:49 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2016, 04:37:52 PM »

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2016, 06:15:58 PM »
One of the things that makes a conference great are high quality rivalries. I believe the best asset the Big East has right now is the double round robin schedule . Over times the double round robin truly enables those rivalries to develop as fans get to know the other teams players and coaches. The Big East has many quality players and several coaching personalities are beginning to emerge. The rivalries are further enhanced by the fact that all the Big East members are basketball focused , medium sized, catholic schools in urban areas. The Big East tournament is one of the better post season tournaments as a result.   Marquette is in an excellent position as a member of the Big East as currently configured.

I would prefer to let the conference develop as it is and would not drop the very good thing we have going  to bring in U Conn.  I believe U Conn would be at best a push on the TV contract . U Conn would bring instability to what is a very stable , if not most stable,  of conferences as their long stated intention is to be in a P5 football league. Our Big East  conference is going to keep improving from top to bottom and MU will be a huge beneficiary of that growth. Their is value in a well defined  high quality brand and that is what the Big East.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2016, 07:40:50 PM »
One of the things that makes a conference great are high quality rivalries. I believe the best asset the Big East has right now is the double round robin schedule . Over times the double round robin truly enables those rivalries to develop as fans get to know the other teams players and coaches. The Big East has many quality players and several coaching personalities are beginning to emerge. The rivalries are further enhanced by the fact that all the Big East members are basketball focused , medium sized, catholic schools in urban areas. The Big East tournament is one of the better post season tournaments as a result.   Marquette is in an excellent position as a member of the Big East as currently configured.

I would prefer to let the conference develop as it is and would not drop the very good thing we have going  to bring in U Conn.  I believe U Conn would be at best a push on the TV contract . U Conn would bring instability to what is a very stable , if not most stable,  of conferences as their long stated intention is to be in a P5 football league. Our Big East  conference is going to keep improving from top to bottom and MU will be a huge beneficiary of that growth. Their is value in a well defined  high quality brand and that is what the Big East.

I guess I don't see how adding UCONN would suddenly make it an unstable conference. It's not like if UCONN leaves, it will start a mass exodus. If UCONN leaves, we go back on as normal. It's not like the constant fear of half the conference jumping ship and dissolving the current one. The only way things are unstable is if the P-5 conferences start poaching basketball only schools for some reason. Then that changes the Big East drastically whether UCONN is in or not.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2016, 07:45:34 PM »
I guess I don't see how adding UCONN would suddenly make it an unstable conference. It's not like if UCONN leaves, it will start a mass exodus. If UCONN leaves, we go back on as normal. It's not like the constant fear of half the conference jumping ship and dissolving the current one. The only way things are unstable is if the P-5 conferences start poaching basketball only schools for some reason. Then that changes the Big East drastically whether UCONN is in or not.

+1

Out biggest risk as a conference is that the p5 take Bball only members.  The big conferences can end this deal we have setup if they want.   If you are worried about stability - worry about that not UCONN. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2016, 07:52:06 PM »

This is exactly right. Further, bringing in UConn gives you some excellent ready-made rivalries. Providence, Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Seton Hall, they all have history with UConn. Even we had some great games with them in the past. And if they leave, no harm no foul. Just make sure there's stringent penalties for leaving so we keep all the NCAA shares they earn and all the schools make a tidy profit.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback