Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...

stay at 10 teams
53 (32.7%)
add UConn and Dayton
33 (20.4%)
add UConn and VCU (Gtown may veto)
14 (8.6%)
add UConn and highest ranked team available (Wichita St?)
18 (11.1%)
add UConn and someone else
44 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Author Topic: If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...  (Read 72771 times)

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
The Big 12 just announced they will expand up to 14 teams as fast as they can. Reportedly Cincinnati is their top priority, and Memphis and Houston are being considered. If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: If the Big 12 expansion raids the AAC to free UConn, would you...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 12:52:56 AM »
NVM
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 12:59:30 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 01:22:00 AM »
My guess is they go with Cincinnati and BYU now.  Then decide if they want to go to 14 or not. 

If they go to 14, don't rule out Colorado State.  Most logical would be to add Colorado State and Memphis as the other 2 to get to 14.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 01:56:15 AM »
Would UConn still hold on to FBS football, or would they finally throw in the towel and downgrade?

Would the Big East take them if they don't downgrade football?

If they end up in the Big East, does the Big East have to take a second team ?  Right away?

UConn would be one heck of an addition in a number of sports.

I voted UConn and someone else.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 05:04:11 AM »
West Virginia is in the Big 12.  The closest geographical school to them in Iowa State (860 miles).    This has put a huge burden on non-revenue sports and they have suffered (does WVU get a single fan for an away soccer or baseball game?)

I have to think the Big 12 would want to expand east to give relief to WVU and increase their hold on that section of the country.  So Cincy and Uconn make most sense.

If they take BYU and Colorado State, the cost to travel to WVU just gets all the worse.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 05:17:45 AM »
Hearing football only could be an option. If so, and UConn got a football only bid, would it be worth letting them park their other sports here? Add only them, go to a 20-game round robin, and if they leave, who cares, we go back to a happy 10.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 06:57:36 AM »
According to CBSsports, the Big 12 is n't going to give new members full shares for a while after they join the league.  In UConn's case that could make upgrading their football program which needs an upgraded stadium among other things problematic.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 07:09:51 AM »
Basketball-only schools, please.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 07:34:21 AM »
According to CBSsports, the Big 12 is n't going to give new members full shares for a while after they join the league.  In UConn's case that could make upgrading their football program which needs an upgraded stadium among other things problematic.

UConn has a new football stadium and it was built with further expansion possible.

FWIW, from what I have read in multiple places it sounds like BYU would be the first option, then UConn, then Cincinnati, then a group of others like CSU, UCF, USF & Memphis.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 07:46:12 AM »
Uconn should be an absolute priority if it did happen
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 07:49:03 AM »
If UConn wants back in the Big East for basketball, take them back in a second. The rest of the details can be sorted out after that. Dayton, VCU or Wichita State can stay where they are. If the Big East is going to expand, they need to bring in top tier programs, not "promote" mid-majors to high major status.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 08:01:55 AM »
I voted stay at 10, but I can be convinced to one of the other options if UConn drops football.

Same also goes for Vanderbilt or Wake Forest, FWIW.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 08:05:37 AM »
I can't believe we are having to have this discussion again. Two simple rules to running the Big East

1. Do not take a school that has an active football program or aspirations for one. It only brings instability to the conference long term.

2. Do not dilute the revenue stream for the current 10 teams short term unless there is a significant long term up-tick.

UConn fails both of those rules. I get the basketball argument for UConn and I totally agree with it. However, bringing in UConn and another team does nothing to increase the value of the TV contract we currently have with FS1 which means the current schools take a pay cut to bring in those two teams. UConn doesn't bring a new or big enough market for FS1 to increase the payout.

The only only only scenario I see where UConn joins the Big East and parks their football somewhere else is if Notre Dame is involved as the 2nd team. The revenue generated from a Big East + UConn + ND tv contract would be enormous and worth it. As my favorite zoomie poster here would say "anything else is just mental masturbation".
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 08:13:20 AM »
I can't believe we are having to have this discussion again. Two simple rules to running the Big East

1. Do not take a school that has an active football program or aspirations for one. It only brings instability to the conference long term.

2. Do not dilute the revenue stream for the current 10 teams short term unless there is a significant long term up-tick.

UConn fails both of those rules. I get the basketball argument for UConn and I totally agree with it. However, bringing in UConn and another team does nothing to increase the value of the TV contract we currently have with FS1 which means the current schools take a pay cut to bring in those two teams. UConn doesn't bring a new or big enough market for FS1 to increase the payout.

The only only only scenario I see where UConn joins the Big East and parks their football somewhere else is if Notre Dame is involved as the 2nd team. The revenue generated from a Big East + UConn + ND tv contract would be enormous and worth it. As my favorite zoomie poster here would say "anything else is just mental masturbation".

I may be wrong, but I believe the BE contract with Fox will tack on matching money for added schools.  The total value goes up, but the money per school does not change.

Your point about adding value is still valid here, obviously.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »
I may be wrong, but I believe the BE contract with Fox will tack on matching money for added schools.  The total value goes up, but the money per school does not change.

Your point about adding value is still valid here, obviously.

My understanding of the contract is that there is an option to negotiate adders if the conference expands but it is not a guarantee. As an example, I believe the could negotiate additional money for the new schools but not have it as high as the original schools or they could try and get Fox to pay everyone in full...but nothing is certain.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 08:28:09 AM »
However, bringing in UConn and another team does nothing to increase the value of the TV contract we currently have with FS1 which means the current schools take a pay cut to bring in those two teams. UConn doesn't bring a new or big enough market for FS1 to increase the payout.

UCONN is a more attractive program nationally than the bottom half of our conference - therefore it does increase the long-term attractiveness and positioning of the BE. 

If Fox doesnt increase the short-term payout when adding UCONN it speaks more to the current state of what the BE product is attracting, current state of what Fox is willing to pay (maybe they over-paid) or current market value of college Bball.

Pretending the BBall only complexity is not there and UCONN is committed to the BE and not joining a power 4/5 - if UCONN is available, the BEast should take them and it makes the conference a stronger product for the next contract.  My guess is if the BE said 'no thanks' - Fox would push very hard for them to make it work.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 08:32:02 AM »
I voted stay at 10, but I can be convinced to one of the other options if UConn drops football.

Same also goes for Vanderbilt or Wake Forest, FWIW.

Why would Vanderbilt  a) drop football or b) leave the SEC? Are you just being theoretical?
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 08:34:18 AM »
The no football rule is made up by fans. The BEast would have no problem taking a football school in the right circumstance.

If any school would make fox chip in the extra money it's UConn. Wouldn't necessarily have to bring in a partner school. Not sure what option for a partner school they would go with and what ones fox would approve.

The BEast will expand before its next contract, it is inevitable. UConn would be the best possible option.

I would be SHOCKED if UConn gets picked up by the B12. I would put BYU, Colorado State, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, UCF, USF, and Temple all as more desirable to the B12 then UConn. And it's not just a geography thing. Have heard that is the ACC expanded that UConn is not on their short list either. Basketball is their money maker, hopefully they can accept that sooner rather than later.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 08:39:14 AM »
Why would Vanderbilt  a) drop football or b) leave the SEC? Are you just being theoretical?

Completely theoretical.

But Vandy's been to four bowl games since 1983, and three of them were under James Franklin, who is not there any more.

If there was an SEC school that would think about dumping it and leaving, it'd be Vandy.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 08:40:42 AM »

Why would an FBS program drop football? They just went to a bowl game this past season.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

lessthannick11

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 08:42:39 AM »
Didnt they go to a bowl game but lose money in the process?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 08:46:11 AM »
Didnt they go to a bowl game but lose money in the process?
Most teams lose money when they go to bowl games.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

lessthannick11

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 08:47:14 AM »
So then why is going to a bowl game a reason to not drop football?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 08:55:44 AM »

It's not.
Revenue generated by football is a reason not to drop football.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 08:58:39 AM »
Overall FBS schools make money on football. Losing money to go to a bowl game is really no big deal. It counters that by being on national TV for recruiting, etc. Dropping football means giving up revenue streams. It means giving up road-game contracts, and it means losing access to College Football Playoff and conference revenue sharing. And that's to say nothing of the impact on alumni giving or sponsorship.

For Group of Five programs, those checks aren't very big, but neither are the football expenses. When you look at football in the context of the entire athletic department, cutting off revenue will rarely make financial sense.

Schools really don't drop football. Schools are adding football. Charlotte, ODU, Georgia State, UAB.

Idaho is not dropping football, but moving down to the FCS level. Has not happened since the 80's.
-Bill Walton