[Today at 10:19:19 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Los Angeles - "LA Live" Area - need recommendations  (Read 2483 times)

WarriorFan

• All American
Los Angeles - "LA Live" Area - need recommendations
« on: July 13, 2016, 10:15:54 AM »
My son and I are going to be in LA soon looking at universities and we're staying at Residence Inn LA Live.  Anyone familiar with the area who can recommend restaurants - especially Asian, Indian or Mexican - or anything else interesting for dad and teenager to do in the evening?

Already got tix for USA Basketball vs. China, but have 3 more nights to fill in.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

reinko

• All American
Re: Los Angeles - "LA Live" Area - need recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 10:35:20 AM »
Rent a puppy for a few hours,  and head over to UCLA.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 11:18:31 AM »
Rent a puppy for a few hours,  and head over to UCLA.

I know it was a joke, but UCLA's campus is pretty incredible.  Getting into and out of the area is a nightmare, though.

What schools are you guys touring?  Pepperdine may not be the greatest school to attend (dry campus, insanely expensive, and while not a bad school, not an incredible one either), but it is definitely worth going to check out.

Hit some beaches, walk some boardwalks, stop at some beachside restaurants.  Maybe an LAD or LAA game if they're in town.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 11:39:27 AM »
Sushi?

Sugarfish is top notch. Santa Monica location is my fave.

Gotta try Porto's before you go. Closest is probably in Glendale (or Burbank).

If you're a huge hoops junkie, check out http://www.drewleague.com/scores
It's in the hood because the roots are strong.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/drew-league-los-angeles

Echoing Wadesworld...If you've never been to Chavez Ravine (Dodger Stadium), you must. It's the third oldest ballpark in MLB and it's different. The latrines!

And believe it or not...the 4th oldest is Angels stadium!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:53:39 AM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 06:17:42 PM »
Gotta hit up Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles or ya just haven't been to da reel LA, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 07:17:15 PM »
I know it was a joke, but UCLA's campus is pretty incredible.  Getting into and out of the area is a nightmare, though.

What schools are you guys touring?  Pepperdine may not be the greatest school to attend (dry campus, insanely expensive, and while not a bad school, not an incredible one either), but it is definitely worth going to check out.

Hit some beaches, walk some boardwalks, stop at some beachside restaurants.  Maybe an LAD or LAA game if they're in town.
Looking at USC and LMU and Chapman.  Definitely not looking at UCLA - kid doesn't want anything that big.  Pepperdine is out - he wants urban environment. 
Any recommended beaches / boardwalks?  I've been in 60+ countries and 40+ states, but SoCal has never been on my list!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 07:28:47 PM »
SC should be plenty urban ta satisfy da chap, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 08:35:45 PM »
Umami burger in Santa Monca. There's a lot of good places in Santa Monica, right on the ocean too.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 10:19:06 AM »
the Boardwalk in Venice is a must.: usually a hoops game going on and muscle beach is  where Arnold used to show off. lots of good restaraunts between Venice and the Marina as you walk along the beach. don't buy any cds from hawkers. great people watching.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 11:27:32 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I decided to switch and stay on the beach in Santa Monica, near everything that has been mentioned.  I'm sure the teenager will appreciate it as well!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 12:36:01 PM »
Den hit up The Lobster, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 12:51:19 PM »
Not sure how much free time during the days you'll have but if you and your son are into hiking I'm 99% sure it was Solstice Canyon that we hiked one of the times I was out there.  The hike with the best view of the ocean was longer than we had time for but you could still get a great view of the ocean off in the distance and it was a very cool hike.  Some wooded areas, some giant rocks, some dried up waterfalls, a current waterfall (didn't get to that either), etc.  Then we ate at Nobu Malibu and sat on the patio.  Incredible setting.  We also ate at another oceanside restaurant in Malibu while out there but I can't remember what it was.  You're right by Malibu if you're staying in Santa Monica, so even if you don't have time for a hike, at least go up to the top of Pepperdine's campus and take in the view.

Duke's on Huntington Beach is great if you're in that area at all, but that's a bit further away.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »
There's a Dukes in Malibu too which is closer to Santa Monica, but as 4ever suggested if you are going for sea food and ocean view The Lobster is pretty good (there is also an OK mexican place on the end of the pier for the ocean socal experience if you're not looking for fine dining).  La Playita is my favorite weird (and i stress weird) taco etc spot in santa monica, its a walk up window basically so brush up on your spanish, it is also on the way to LMU if you take Lincoln from SM.  I grew up in Santa Monica and these are all good suggestions.  Santa Monica Pier, venice boardwalk, third street promenade are the big touresty things right in that area, they're all pretty cool to visit.  I like LMU of those schools for what its worth, USC is obviously pretty cool, I don't know anyone who went to chapman that I can think of.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 05:04:37 PM »
Edit: the restaurant in Malibu that we went to was actually Blue Lounge, not Nobu Malibu.  I couldn't remember the name (it was 3 or 4 years ago) so I Googled oceanside restaurants in Malibu and the 2 patios look identical.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 07:30:08 PM »
Near LMU on Lincoln try Hacienda Del Rey (just "Hacienda's to the locals). Interesting spot where they filed a scene from Jerry McGuire. Or try tower pizza next door. Lots of LMU memorabilia to look at from old days (think gathers / Kimble).

Near chapman you will find the filling station and bruxie's pretty much across the street. Also close by (near the traffic circle) are gabby's and haven gastro pub. All independent places with unique options.

I'm an LMU grad and I live near Chapman. Let me know if you need any additional details.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 10:10:57 PM »
Mastros has an Ocean Club in Malibu. May wanna rid yo self of some extra greenbacks der. Have been to da spot in Chicosville, so from personal experience, ya can't go wrong. But, bring yo bank account wit ju, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 01:08:28 PM »
Head out to the OC and grab a beer with Chicos.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 11:18:30 AM »
I'm certain he would be the consummate host

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 11:43:43 PM »
Since Chicos has not reached out, we spent the evening people watching on Santa Monica pier.  Unreal.

All the restaurant recommendations are duly noted and will be done through the week.  Thanks to all for your guidance.

Tomorrow I'll be the old, fat, bald guy in an MU shirt cheering for JFB at USA vs. China, so if you happen to be there, say hello!

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 09:25:12 PM »
Umami burger in Santa Monca. There's a lot of good places in Santa Monica, right on the ocean too.
Umami Burger =

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American