[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: July Evaluation Period (Second Week)  (Read 8825 times)

TedBaxter

• All American
July Evaluation Period (Second Week)
« on: July 09, 2016, 10:19:26 AM »
Some guesses here since things are less defined with two of the shoe tourneys ending today.

From July 13-17 there will be events in Mequon (John, Lewis, Donnie Tillman(?) Hauser and Herro), Grand Rapids, Michigan (Eke and Xavier Tillman), Springfield, MA (Lawrence and Samuels), St. Louis (Stockard) and Minneapolis (Race Thompson).

One of the bigger targets in the 2017 class is a mystery since Jordan Nwora's NY Rens team doesn't list an event for the second evaluation period.  May be playing in one and haven't found it yet.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

jdbied

• Scholarship Player
Re: July Evaluation Period (Second Week)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 03:13:22 PM »
Ted, any idea of a name or web site for the event in grand rapids?

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 03:41:22 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 04:27:42 PM »
The venues are within a 20 minute drive of each other.    Grand Rapids is thick with Microbrews, but the areas around the venues don't have many.    Unfortunately for me, I will be coaching 9U travel baseball during that time frame.    However, if anybody does come to GR and wants suggestions, PM me.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jdbied

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 09:16:05 PM »
Thanks, Ted!

tower912

• All American
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 07:55:03 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 08:03:30 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 08:15:40 PM »
I've seen Tillman's height listed at 6-7, 6-8 and 6-9 on different sites — with weights of 230, 235, 245 and 250. It's conceivable all these measurements were correct at one point. I'm most interested in where he's at now.

The kid looks strong in videos, with a quick burst and even a spin move. But can't say anything definitive based on a couple highlight reels.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 08:23:30 PM »
I went to one of his games last season.  In February, my 6'4 buddy came up to Tillman's eyebrows.  Xavier showed decent form in his jumper though he didn't make much.  Strong down low against skinny 6'5 guys.  Looked to distribute out of the high post.   I am confident he is better now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 09:42:49 PM »
http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/-8574645572528495742/tom-izzo-john-beilein-check-top-talent-like-xavier-tillman-at-annual-tourney-in-grand-rapids/#incart_river_home

Big Crowd in GR.   Tillman announces Marquette is in his final 4.
thanks for this. Hopefully we can close the deal.

The article was interesting in that they mentioned Buzz and Huggins showing up at this event in addition to Wojo and others.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 09:51:19 PM »
I went to the Homestead tournament yesterday.  First watched Davison, the Madison commit.  I hate to say it, they got a nice player.  I like him a lot more than I liked Koenig when I watched Koenig at the same event at the same age.  He's a confident player, but not about the flash.  Just does everything well and is a good leader.  Tyus Jones's younger brother is on the same Howard Pulley team.  They are very good.  But Tre Jones is not Tyus (even though I believe he is playing up).  Don't get me wrong, he's not bad, but in the game I watched Davison was clearly the best player on their team, with their big the 2nd best player.  It looks like they lost in the finals to Playground Elite Wilson...who plays with them?  I overheard someone saying Howard Pulley was missing 2 of their better players.

Unfortunately he seems like a nice kid who, along with his parents, were sitting and yucking it up with the Hausers for the entire game between his game and Joey's game that I was at.  Davison's dad (I assume that's who it was) even introduced Brad to Joey's grandparents (again, I assume that's who they were) when they went over to watch Joey and he gave them a big hug.  Blah.  Eff the Badgers, Joey.  Eff the Badgers.

Joey is a stud.  In my opinion his overall game will be better than Hank's.  Hank will probably be a better pure scorer, but Joey already shoots the ball better and with better fundamentals and already defends better than Hank.  Sneakily athletic.  Handles aren't as good but they aren't bad.  Really strong post moves.  Rebounds well.  They have some nice players on that Iowa Barnstormers team, but Joey sticks out above them all.  They were playing Stackhouse Elite North in the game I watched and someone said their point guard (#3, if anyone knows the team and it means anything) was highly sought after.  He didn't strike me as great, but definitely not bad either.  Not sure who it is though, or who's going after him.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:53:35 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 10:51:49 PM »
^^^
Yes, Davison's confidence is sky high.

Pulley was without Gary Trent & MU target Theo John
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 11:53:21 PM »
^^^
Yes, Davison's confidence is sky high.

Pulley was without Gary Trent & MU target Theo John

Ahh didn't realize John was on Howard Pulley, wish he would've been there. Thanks. Looks like that team must be stacked. Any idea who the big was or if he's getting looks from anyone? I liked his game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 07:53:25 AM »
Ahh didn't realize John was on Howard Pulley, wish he would've been there. Thanks. Looks like that team must be stacked. Any idea who the big was or if he's getting looks from anyone? I liked his game.

Daniel Oturo, 2018 from Cretin Derham Hall. In my PM's to folks re: Theo John a couple of months ago, I highlighted Oturo & my thoughts on him.

I think he'll rise nicely over the next year... potential & tools are there. Just needs strong progression & he'll be a top 100 kid.

Northern Iowa is his only offer I believe. Several B1G's are talking to him, including the Gophers, Becky, Northwestern... even KU is sniffin

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 09:10:32 AM »
Daniel Oturo, 2018 from Cretin Derham Hall. In my PM's to folks re: Theo John a couple of months ago, I highlighted Oturo & my thoughts on him.

I think he'll rise nicely over the next year... potential & tools are there. Just needs strong progression & he'll be a top 100 kid.

Northern Iowa is his only offer I believe. Several B1G's are talking to him, including the Gophers, Becky, Northwestern... even KU is sniffin

A Minnesota big who is slightly under the radar?  Sounds like a Bucky type.

I'm not sayin' we (or anyone else) shouldn't be interested, just that he sounds like guys that Wisconsin has gotten in the past.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 09:15:22 AM »
A Minnesota big who is slightly under the radar?  Sounds like a Bucky type.

I'm not sayin' we (or anyone else) shouldn't be interested, just that he sounds like guys that Wisconsin has gotten in the past.

He's not your.... traditional Becky guy

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 09:20:15 AM »
Where is Howard Pulley playing next week?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 09:36:00 AM »
Where is Howard Pulley playing next week?

Vegas. Las Vegas Classic. I will be there.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 08:39:42 AM »
Fascinating to read the comments in the mlive article and find the Spartan fans consider Tillman a Plan B option.   

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 01:48:58 PM »
Fascinating to read the comments in the mlive article and find the Spartan fans consider Tillman a Plan B option.   

Yep.....could work in our favor. I think Malik Williams is their top target.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 11:42:59 AM »
Yep.....could work in our favor. I think Malik Williams is their top target.

I would hope he is a big target of ours as well. Let's make this the recruiting thread from now on as the other one is way off the rails.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 11:58:34 AM »
I would hope he is a big target of ours as well. Let's make this the recruiting thread from now on as the other one is way off the rails.

I think Williams is perfect for the way Wojo wants to play. Would love that kid. He'd be my top choice for 2017. However it seems unlikely that we're really in the mix. Thankfully we have plenty of big options.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.