[Today at 07:05:03 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:25:51 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Matt Velazquez] Marquette to host Fresno State in December  (Read 9664 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: [Matt Velazquez] Marquette to host Fresno State in December
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2016, 08:36:06 AM »
Dunno if it's been released yet but I'm pretty confident (certain) Marquette is playing a exhibition against Rockhurst college this year in Chicago. Travis's cousin is the coach over there.

On the road?  Sacrificing a HOME exhibition?  Aren't you only allowed one?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2016, 09:19:53 AM »

No.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2016, 09:26:53 AM »
The bigger question I have is why do these exhibitions, when you can do a secret scrimmage against a talented team. I know the standard answer is it gets the kids a chance to play under game settings etc. , but I would prefer quality of comp.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2016, 12:59:15 PM »
The bigger question I have is why do these exhibitions, when you can do a secret scrimmage against a talented team. I know the standard answer is it gets the kids a chance to play under game settings etc. , but I would prefer quality of comp.

Perhaps.  But Wojo seems to like them.  Obviously last year's was done as a favor to the Ellenson's.  I wonder if they end up being a negative financially for MU?  I suppose they must pay BC rent, etc.  Certainly no season ticket holder really cares although chick did make the drive last year on a weeknight if my memory is accurate.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2016, 01:34:03 PM »

I believe you are allowed two. You are also allowed to do the closed-door scrimmages we have done in the past. You can do two of those events combined, so two exhibitions, two scrimmages, or one of each.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2016, 01:44:15 PM »
Perhaps.  But Wojo seems to like them.  Obviously last year's was done as a favor to the Ellenson's.  I wonder if they end up being a negative financially for MU?  I suppose they must pay BC rent, etc.  Certainly no season ticket holder really cares although chick did make the drive last year on a weeknight if my memory is accurate.
If we are going the exhibition route, It would be more interesting to play Wisconsin Whitewater, they are usually a talented team.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2016, 02:18:01 PM »
I believe you are allowed two. You are also allowed to do the closed-door scrimmages we have done in the past. You can do two of those events combined, so two exhibitions, two scrimmages, or one of each.

This is true.

Dwight Burke shared some interesting thoughts ~5 years ago... can be read HERE. I still like the idea of closed scrimmages more, but can understand why an exhibition may be a reasonable choice for certain programs in certain years.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2016, 02:29:11 PM »
This is true.

Dwight Burke shared some interesting thoughts ~5 years ago... can be read HERE. I still like the idea of closed scrimmages more, but can understand why an exhibition may be a reasonable choice for certain programs in certain years.

But would you EVER go on the road for a non D1 exhibition?  Both experiences make sense to me but I can only see a road trip to go play D1 and that can only be done via scrimmage.  And if I read Chitown correctly.....

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2016, 02:37:32 PM »
This is true.

[/quote

Gotta be careful wit dem, doe. 'Cuz a bad loss in a scrimmage will cost ya a seed or 2 in da Tourney, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2016, 02:38:38 PM »
But would you EVER go on the road for a non D1 exhibition?  Both experiences make sense to me but I can only see a road trip to go play D1 and that can only be done via scrimmage.  And if I read Chitown correctly.....

Yep. Depends.

Gives people in another city an opportunity to see your program. May be a favor to someone (a player, a friend, whatever, alumni in the area, etc.). I also think many fan bases are upset when they are forced to purchase tickets to exhibition games as a part of their season ticket package. Not a huge loss to the home town fans if you go play some DX school in another city.

I can see it. But, just depends on the particulars.

I don't think you sit in an office and think, "hey, what the hey.. let's go play a road game against some D3 school.. that'll be great." But.. would you perhaps think, "hey, we have a relationship with program X... it's in a city where we have some alums... it'll be good for our kids - new and returning guys - to get out on the road, have the stay at a hotel experience... while we're there, we can also take them to places Y and Z for fun..."... yeah, I can see that being a possibility.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2016, 02:54:36 PM »
It's a pretty decent D 2 school. Sorry, I used exhibition and scrimmage interchangeably, don't know which one it is but the point is MU will be playing Rockhurst because of Drew Diener, one of their players, and they play DePaul around the same time.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 03:01:31 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2016, 02:57:33 PM »
Yep. Depends.

Gives people in another city an opportunity to see your program. May be a favor to someone (a player, a friend, whatever, alumni in the area, etc.). I also think many fan bases are upset when they are forced to purchase tickets to exhibition games as a part of their season ticket package. Not a huge loss to the home town fans if you go play some DX school in another city.

I can see it. But, just depends on the particulars.

I don't think you sit in an office and think, "hey, what the hey.. let's go play a road game against some D3 school.. that'll be great." But.. would you perhaps think, "hey, we have a relationship with program X... it's in a city where we have some alums... it'll be good for our kids - new and returning guys - to get out on the road, have the stay at a hotel experience... while we're there, we can also take them to places Y and Z for fun..."... yeah, I can see that being a possibility.

Okay, I'll bite.  Then Chicago in some reasonable venue might make some sense in the same way that chick and I would go see the Tournament team in a couple weeks if we were in town.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2016, 04:42:36 PM »

Yep...met a friend up there at Buck Bradley's, and here is a picture I took of the pregame crowd:

Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2016, 06:27:32 PM »
Ah the off season. Debating whether a closed door scrimmage is better than an exhibition.

IMO they are about equally worthwhile. i.e. Not very.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2016, 10:59:57 AM »
Bucks schedule came out yesterday.  The Bucks play home on the 7th, so that means that the Fresno State game will be on the 6th of December.