[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The BBQ  (Read 8157 times)

CAGASS24

• All American
The BBQ
« on: June 29, 2016, 10:48:17 AM »
surprised not to see a thread on this yet - I was there but had to leave before the program - any interesting tidbits?  There were a bunch of old players there - and I think I saw all the current players minus the new recruits (didn't look too hard for them) - one thing that stuck out to me is haanif's size - kind of unfortunate he won't be a primary PG for us because he has the right size to be a NBA PG  - I thought he was taller than Sacar and he's listed at 6'6 IIRC

CAGASS24

• All American
Re: The BBQ
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 10:52:44 AM »
NVMD - they've got both sacar and haaney at 6 5 - that seems right to me - FWIW - traci is def over 6 feet - hes at least 6 1 or 2

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:53:17 AM »
The incoming guys won't be here until next week. Not sure when Howard will end up arriving, as the U17 tournament ends on Sunday.

AverageJoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 01:16:05 PM »
I've been to every one - I think this is the 9th? 

Wojo doesn't speak as long as Buzz and doesn't say as much.  He thanks the alumni, his staff, support staff, and other sports' coaches.  Buzz used to talk about the schedule, how tough all the opponents are, etc.  He's go on and on and on...  Wojo doesn't really say anything interesting.

They are pushing this as the "Athletic's" BBQ as opposed to Buzz's BBQ.  Coaches from most sports get a few minutes at the podium.  The kids from volleyball, soccer, track, golf, and tennis are all very good with playing and interacting with the kids.  They represent MU amazingly.  The basketball players tend to hang out and meet and greet alumni.

Lot's of alumni, as usual.  Many had strollers and young children.  First time I remember seeing Jeff Zavada since he played at UWGB...

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 02:33:17 PM »
Here are some pics from the Barbecue:

https://www.facebook.com/MarquetteMensBB/photos/ms.c.eJxFz0sOAyAQAtAbNfMX73~_xpiJ2~_QJDFDsje~;UqzPL9AT3lnYmWm56XG8Ks4xp2XHhm32XnfsrBvvbA~;fX36ZveAzDX~;TbmJTtzez77ueSib38sfvezQ86TR8t8T48M5nd~;nP9rV77pePnZR30BOKtHXw~-~-.bps.a.893235747486720.1073742056.141090692701233/893235757486719/?type=3&theater

The pic of the super lonely, super bummed looking gent at the "Ticket Information & Questions" booth is hilarious.  If you blow up the shot you can see a sign that says "ask me how playing Chattanooga St. vs. Grambling will effect our SOS and tourney chances"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 07:07:13 PM »
Felt badly missing the BBQ. Always a good time and great seeing a ton of old friends. Unfortunately my middle son was involved in a motorcycle accident on Sunday. Knock on wood aside from a couple of broken bones he lived to talk about it.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 08:09:28 PM »
Felt badly missing the BBQ. Always a good time and great seeing a ton of old friends. Unfortunately my middle son was involved in a motorcycle accident on Sunday. Knock on wood aside from a couple of broken bones he lived to talk about it.
As the father of two boys who sometimes charge recklessly into ________, I clench up on the thought that I'll go through exactly what you did on Sunday.  Happy it was "just" a teaching moment and nothing worse.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 08:17:36 PM »
Naginif

He was extremely lucky and still will be out of work for a minimum of a month. I hope that none of my kids ever get on a motorcycle ever again. I am getting too old to this kind of stuff.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 10:16:02 PM »
Naginif

He was extremely lucky and still will be out of work for a minimum of a month. I hope that none of my kids ever get on a motorcycle ever again. I am getting too old to this kind of stuff.

Goose,

Best wishes to your son. Get well soon.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 06:43:50 AM »
Best wishes goose.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 07:48:26 AM »
God's speed, J Squared.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 09:20:25 AM »
Thanks for nice wishes. Hopefully his last motorcycle ride :)

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 09:23:06 AM »
I'm 54 and every time I get tempted to start riding I hear stories like this.  As much as I'd love to get a bike, it's just too fukkin dangerous.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 09:37:14 AM »

Goose,

Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Long shot - but did this happen in the Twin Cities?  Saw something on news Sunday night where a kid on motorcycle hit a rolled up water raft that fell out of the back of a boat in front of him on a highway just outside of the Twin Cities. Was a terrifying video, but they did say the motorcyclist was OK, just some minor injuries, which was honestly amazing.

I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 09:44:01 AM »
Brew
I get the excitement as well but just too frickin dangerous. Without giving out details, the other driver may have been drinking and driving. Accident was not caused by my son.

JJJJJ
No, it happened in Wauwatosa.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 09:47:41 AM »
Brew
I get the excitement as well but just too frickin dangerous. Without giving out details, the other driver may have been drinking and driving. Accident was not caused by my son.

JJJJJ
No, it happened in Wauwatosa.

Gotcha, again - hoping for a speedy recover. Scary stuff.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 10:08:26 AM »
I'm 54 and every time I get tempted to start riding I hear stories like this.  As much as I'd love to get a bike, it's just too fukkin dangerous.

I can understand folks feeling that way but if you're number is up it's up no matter how it happens.

I'm 55 and have ridden over 200,000 miles in the last 35+ years. Yes, I have been hit twice by cagers that don't watch for us out there, both times it was a car turning left across my path either thinking they had plenty of time/room or they never even saw me. Both were very minor collisions because I left (almost) enough margin to compensate for the idiot in their cage and was almost able to completely stop before impact. One had to ride very defensively the same as driving a car, leave room, don't ride in blindspots etc.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 10:31:29 AM »
Motorcycles are definitely dangerous, it always amazes me how many people don't wear helmets or anything protective. Even at side-street speeds, accidents can be lethal and all it takes is one moron in a car blowing a stop-sign to put a rider in the hospital or (usually far, far) worse.

I'm good with the responsible, careful riders, but when I see motorcyclists speeding, cutting in and out of traffic, jumping lights, all while not wearing any protective gear, I just shake my head and hope, for their sake, that I don't see them again.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 10:40:09 AM »
Agree.   When taking a cognitive therapy class in school it was interesting to note that motorcycle-related death or tbi from motorcycle accidents was extremely high among military members.   Around 450 deaths in one year 10 years ago.   The numbers had fallen about 50% in 2012 so progress is being made.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 10:47:32 AM »
Knock on wood aside from a couple of broken bones he lived to talk about it.

And most important...hope your son is doing well, Goose. Thoughts with you and your family.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 11:56:35 AM »

Wojo doesn't speak as long as Buzz and doesn't say as much.  He thanks the alumni, his staff, support staff, and other sports' coaches.  Buzz used to talk about the schedule, how tough all the opponents are, etc.  He's go on and on and on...  Wojo doesn't really say anything interesting.

Wojo never says anything interesting.   Master of empty coach-speak.

Hang in there, goose.   I've cleaned up more than my share of motorcycle accidents.   I'll never ride one again. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 12:17:22 PM »
Wojo never says anything interesting.   Master of empty coach-speak.

Hang in there, goose.   I've cleaned up more than my share of motorcycle accidents.   I'll never ride one again.

First we had the master of fake tanning.

Then the master of fake hillbilly.

Now the master of empty-coach speak.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 12:34:19 PM »
Thanks Warrior Chick for those pictures.  I especially liked the reunon pics and tried to identify the older players from the Winter, Nagle, Hickey era.  I could pick out Kersten (60), Glaser, Nixon and Chimalewski (61) Paulson (62). I recognized most of the McGuire era players such as Bo Ellis, Earl Tatum, Gerry Holman, and Brian Brunkhorst. I saw Bob Wolf at the barbecue and thought I saw Steve Novak and possibly Terry Sanders.  Going back to those photos, can anyone including Chick help me with this?  Thanks.   

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 03:06:32 PM »
I should have said Glaser, Nixon and Chimalewski (sp) class of 63 and Paulson class of 64.