[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Expectations this season  (Read 9354 times)

Marquette4life

• All American
Expectations this season
« on: June 27, 2016, 07:52:54 PM »
What Are Marquettes realistic expectations this year? Does this include any post season tournys ?

tower912

• All American
Re: Expectations this season
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 08:11:30 PM »
The magic 8-ball says 'unclear.'
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 08:13:16 PM »
The magic 8-ball says 'unclear.'

Mine said "Try again later....like after transfer season is done"
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 08:14:13 PM »
Mine was terser. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 08:19:07 PM »
No Henry and hopefully tougher schedule results in less than 20 wins.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 09:01:13 PM »

I'm seeing Skyrockets in Sight........more wins than last year.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 09:26:40 PM »
Dunks gets hired as nutrition coach, we go undefeated and win NC

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 09:56:57 PM »
Fun to watch. Unbalanced roster for Big East.  Most of league is improved.  Will be killed on boards, better not miss.  Back log of point guards adds versatility on offense, vulnerability on defense.  Better be less turnover prone.  8th place.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 10:21:40 PM »
In many ways, we will be a better team than last year. We have more parts functioning together as a group. We have more depth and we're likely less inclined to "Let Henry do It" when we need a basket.

The questions in my mind for next year are:

1) Can Luke stay out of foul trouble? If he can, it will be because our team defense is much better and the last line of defense will be less tested. When Luke is in the game and when he asserts himself, he's worth 12 points to 15 points a game and can be a force under the basket. If he's consistently in foul trouble next year, we'll be lucky to win 16 games.

2) JJJ has to be the talent we thought he was when the Hillbilly recruited him. If he is and if he is more muscular, the sky is the limit.

3) I'm less concerned about our lack of height than I am the question of our interior strength and leaping ability. I've seen 7-footers who couldn't rebound to save their lives and 6'5" players who could. The key is strength and positioning. If Sandy and JJJ can step up in a Bob Lackey role, we'll be fine.

4) We're probably too strong at guard. As long as we can shoot, OK.

Look, we had a sucrose overdose last year and the NCAA knew it, which is why a 20-win team didn't make the tournament. I think we'll be better next year because the team will play as a team. We're also more experienced but our freshmen are again really good. The only negative is that I see the Big East being really tough, with tournament teams in Villanova, Seton Hall, Butler, Xavier and maybe Providence or Creighton.

I'm looking for 18 to 19 regular season wins and a probably 8 to 11 seed in the NCAA tournament. That's six Big East teams in the tournament, so go suck an egg ESPN!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 10:42:30 PM »
Fun to watch. Unbalanced roster for Big East.  Most of league is improved.  Will be killed on boards, better not miss.  Back log of point guards adds versatility on offense, vulnerability on defense.  Better be less turnover prone.  8th place.

Who gets better?  Us, probably Creighton, Georgetown a bit, DePaul and St. John's I guess but not much room to go but up.  Providence, Seton Hall, Xavier, Nova, Butler all worse.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 10:43:48 PM »
National title game: Marquette 78, Kentucky 72.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 10:54:16 PM »
Who gets better?  Us, probably Creighton, Georgetown a bit, DePaul and St. John's I guess but not much room to go but up.  Providence, Seton Hall, Xavier, Nova, Butler all worse.

False.

Villanova: Slightly Better
Xavier: Slightly Better
Creighton: Significantly Better
Seton Hall: Slightly Better
Georgetown: Better
Butler: Slightly Worse
Marquette: Significantly Better
Providence: Significantly Worse
St. John's: Significantly Better
Depaul: Who cares

I see 7 potential top 50 teams in the BEast. Its going to be very hard to win in the BEast. I see as a 6 or 7 in the BEast. Gotta overperform.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 11:34:39 PM »
False.

I see 7 potential top 50 teams in the BEast. Its going to be very hard to win in the BEast. I see as a 6 or 7 in the BEast. Gotta overperform.

If you think Nova is going to be better than they were this year then I'd throw it out there that Archi and Ochefu are quite possibly the 2 most under appreciated players in the history of the Big East, either new or old.

Georgetown and Seton Hall both lose not only their best player, but by far their most important player.

And Xavier loses their 2 best interior players and rebounders. They were so tough because they rebounded everything and were extremely physical. A Norfol State transfer and O'Mara aren't going to have bigs shaking in their boots.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 01:10:49 AM »
False.

So, TAMU, you figure that Nova is gonna win slightly more of a national title in 2016-17?

Just havin' some fun. Obviously, they'll excel again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 07:54:24 AM »
False.

I think Georgetown will be significantly better. Villanova won the NCAA title, because they got hot at the right time just like Seton Hall did when it won the BIg East tournamnet. So I agree Villanova could be a better team, but they will not win the NCAA title.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 08:11:06 AM »
For 'Nova being better, it's the on paper argument. Yes, they lose two starters, but neither were drafted. They bring in a five-star center to fill the Ochefu void in Omari Spellman, have a McDonald's All-American ready to slide to the point to take Archie's spot in Jalen Brunson, and add a proven, 6'7" 260-lb forward in Eric Paschall. Everyone else of note returns. That doesn't guarantee a better season or an equal finishing result to last year, but on paper in June, Villanova is better this year than they were last year.

Most likely, all that really means is they will again challenge for the Big East title all season long, should be ranked in the top-10 from now until March, and will be a legitimate national title contender and probably at worst a top-3 seed in the Tournament.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 08:21:04 AM »
18-20 wins, 5th place in the big east, I'm optimistic. We may be more up tempo this year and if we shoot like  I think we can we'll surprise some teams. And I'll take the nutrition job, thanks Real chili 83.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 08:21:42 AM »
I think Georgetown will be significantly better. Villanova won the NCAA title, because they got hot at the right time just like Seton Hall did when it won the BIg East tournamnet. So I agree Villanova could be a better team, but they will not win the NCAA title.

Villinova did not "get hot at the right time."  Villinova was the best team in the country and the only team who was remotely close was UNC and I guess Kansas, but that game really never felt in doubt.  Even the UNC game Nova led for almost the entire game, by double digits at times.  Nova was ranked 1st for a couple weeks in the regular season and should've been a 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

I believe they played the highest possible seed they could have in every single round except for 2 seed Oklahoma in the Final Four, who some argued should've been a 1 seed.  This included the #1 overall seed and the #2 overall seed in the tournament.  4 of their 6 NCAA Tournament wins were by 20+ points.  Their NCAA Tournament run was not some hot streak, it was the best team proving they were the best.  A historical NCAA Tournament.

They will not be anywhere near as good...yet they will still be a top 10 team.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 08:31:21 AM »
The thing that Nova had was outstanding upperclassman leadership.  The beauty of Ryan A's little screen and pass to facilitate winning the national championship shot should not be overlooked.  It's way to early to tell if they mesh that well again this year.  Sure their 'on paper' talent is outstanding.  But the game isn't played 'on paper'.

Frankly, the same thing might be said in reverse about MU basketball.  Replace somewhat inefficient isolation play from Henry and Frosh style turnovers from all our young players with better court sense, shot selection and 3 point/low post threats and we might actually be significantly better.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 08:35:31 AM »
I'd be very surprised if we're not better. 9 BE wins at a minimum. 6th place or better.

I'd guess 10-8, 5th place.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 08:37:27 AM »
Setting expectations before we've seen a third of the new roster play in an MU jersey is shut a Scoop thing to do.  8-)

This team will finish in the top 5 in the Big East or I get really concerned about the long term success with Wojo. Team defense will be better and we will win several games we shouldn't because we are just shooting lights out that game. I think ultimately we land a 7 seed in the NCAA.

I think Creighton will underperform it's talent, Seton Hall will make a major step backwards(caught lightening in a bottle), Xavier will be worse, DePaul will be an even bigger dumpster fire(that we'll invariably struggle to beat one game), Providence will be worse and Georgetown will be better but beatable.

The only teams I think will be better than us are Nova, Butler, and maybe Xavier. Everyone else will be at our level or worse. That doesn't mean I think MU finishes 3 or 4...it's a grind in the Big East, but they should be able to finish top 5 for sure and get a bid
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 08:41:05 AM »
The thing that Nova had was outstanding upperclassman leadership.  The beauty of Ryan A's little screen and pass to facilitate winning the national championship shot should not be overlooked.  It's way to early to tell if they mesh that well again this year.  Sure their 'on paper' talent is outstanding.  But the game isn't played 'on paper'.

Frankly, the same thing might be said in reverse about MU basketball.  Replace somewhat inefficient isolation play from Henry and Frosh style turnovers from all our young players with better court sense, shot selection and 3 point/low post threats and we might actually be significantly better.

Glow, everyone knows they aren't played on paper, geez....they're played in television sets.

That aside, I think you are wear my typical summer, overly optimistic head is at. Henry had a tendency to bog down the offense and the freshmen mistakes were many and continuous. If we cut down the turnovers by 25%, which given the volume isn't a high bar to set, we preserve at least 6 more possessions which should make up for our loss in offensive rebounds in Henry. Additionally, our shooting should be significantly improved, which should open the floor for slashers and produce longer rebounds on misses that would negate our rebounding disadvantage.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 08:44:38 AM »
I just hope my new seats don't suck.  To hell with everything else.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 08:47:29 AM »
Setting expectations before we've seen a third of the new roster play in an MU jersey is shut a Scoop thing to do.  8-)

This team will finish in the top 5 in the Big East or I get really concerned about the long term success with Wojo. Team defense will be better and we will win several games we shouldn't because we are just shooting lights out that game. I think ultimately we land a 7 seed in the NCAA.

I think Creighton will underperform it's talent, Seton Hall will make a major step backwards(caught lightening in a bottle), Xavier will be worse, DePaul will be an even bigger dumpster fire(that we'll invariably struggle to beat one game), Providence will be worse and Georgetown will be better but beatable.

The only teams I think will be better than us are Nova, Butler, and maybe Xavier. Everyone else will be at our level or worse. That doesn't mean I think MU finishes 3 or 4...it's a grind in the Big East, but they should be able to finish top 5 for sure and get a bid

Just out of curiosity, why do you think Butler will be better than Xavier?  Butler lost more than Xavier did and Xavier was significantly better than Butler last year.

I just hope my new seats don't suck.  To hell with everything else.

Don't worry, with Wojo at the helm the season ticket holder count will soon be at yours and yours alone.  Pick any seat in the building.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 09:22:20 AM »
Glow, everyone knows they aren't played on paper, geez....they're played in television sets.

That aside, I think you are wear my typical summer, overly optimistic head is at. Henry had a tendency to bog down the offense and the freshmen mistakes were many and continuous. If we cut down the turnovers by 25%, which given the volume isn't a high bar to set, we preserve at least 6 more possessions which should make up for our loss in offensive rebounds in Henry. Additionally, our shooting should be significantly improved, which should open the floor for slashers and produce longer rebounds on misses that would negate our rebounding disadvantage.

Ha.  I think you need to put me on the podcast so we can agree on everything and I can add the always insightful 'Back in MY day' comments!

Yeah, we did bog down on offense too much last year and HE never quite perfected the High/Low with Luke.  We also had Freshmen (and Duane) throw the ball away.  With the paint cleared and real threats at the 3 point line (Rowsey and Markus in particular), slashing lanes (with kick passes to open 3 looks) should be available for JjJ and Hanni.  Luke moves very well and has outstanding court presence.  He'll be available for the open pass too and know how to stay out of the way when appropriate.  If Duane can't cut down his turnovers, he'll mire himself down the bench.  Not wanting to do that, he'll improve too.

feedback