[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Junior Cadougan Provided Constant Energy  (Read 8243 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Junior Cadougan Provided Constant Energy
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2016, 07:49:56 PM »
And defensively, comparing them would be a disservice to Derrick. Junior, for all those abilities, was less efficient offensively than Derrick as a junior and a senior.

Junior and Derrick were a net zero difference. And as a freshman, I'd take Traci over either at the same point. They were the two worst starting points at Marquette in my time following the team.

I know not many agree with my take on Junior, and I'm fine with that. I just sincerely hope I never see a player that poor starting at the point again for Marquette in my lifetime.

Stop, he's mercifully gone. No need to beat the dead horse that is Derrick wilson.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2016, 09:37:55 PM »
Stop, he's mercifully gone. No need to beat the dead horse that is Derrick wilson.

I'm not. I'm beating the horse the thread is named for.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 07:49:28 AM »
I think what confuses me about Howard is what position he really plays. Everyone talks about him starting at point, but is he really a 2g? He may be more of a smaller better version of Wilson than he is a smaller better version of Carter. What position is he playing in the USA U17 games?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 07:54:33 AM »
Most of y'all can't 'member a game changin' point guard at MU. There have been several, but Jr. ain't one of them. Maybe Howard fills dat void, hey?

i grew up in the era of tony miller, tony smith, aaron hutchings, and travis diener....really enjoyed watching those four play. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 08:22:54 AM »
I've watched all the point guards all the way back to the 1960s.  And while my memory has faded, Junior fits in the realm of 'serviceable' while Derrick should have been a solid bench contributor.  Not his fault that Buzz never recruited a starter.  I fully expect both Traci and Markus to dramatically improve on that recent track record by the time their 4 years is completed.  Traci was 'fine' as a developing Frosh last year.  I expect he'll be much better this year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 08:55:38 AM »
I think what confuses me about Howard is what position he really plays. Everyone talks about him starting at point, but is he really a 2g? He may be more of a smaller better version of Wilson than he is a smaller better version of Carter. What position is he playing in the USA U17 games?

PG. IIRC he's got 6 assists a game.

He can play both, as can Rowsey.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 09:00:49 AM »

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2016/6/27/12046248/team-usa-fiba-17-olympics

Good bit on Markus in there.

Markus Howard - 13.7 PPG, 3 RPG, 4 APG on 50% from field, 53% from 3

One of the biggest surprises of the FIBA U17 tournament has been Markus Howard. Howard, the incoming Marquette freshman that graduated early and reclassified to the 2016 class, has perhaps stood out as the best guard on the roster. That acclaim is due to Howard having both great court vision (averaging a team-high 4 assists per game) with a silky smooth perimeter touch (53% from beyond the arc). Howard had displayed a unique ability to both lead in the half-court or work as an off-ball threat.

Get excited for this guy

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2016, 09:11:09 AM »
You guys remember how pumped we were as The Engine emerged over in Italy last August?  Let's hope Markus explodes like that against 'real' competition here next winter.  We'll be pretty darn good if he can.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2016, 09:46:43 AM »
Lamar Patterson hit a 3 at the buzzer to send the MU@Pitt game into OT in 2013. MU won and Cadougan got hurt.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=330120221

Ah yes, that's it. 

Cadougan hits three to send game to OT vs hurting leg and leaving after first half.  ToMAYto-ToMAHto.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2016, 10:48:03 AM »
Loved that moment for Junior. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2016, 10:54:47 AM »
And defensively, comparing them would be a disservice to Derrick. Junior, for all those abilities, was less efficient offensively than Derrick as a junior and a senior. Junior and Derrick were a net zero difference.

PG, like first base, is an offensive position. Junior was hardly an offensive wonder, but as I said above, he could facilitate the offense, create for others and make a few buckets himself. Trying to claim that Derrick was as good as Junior because Derrick was the better defender is like trying to claim that Doug Mientkiewicz was a better first baseman than a guy who could actually hit his way out of a paper bag. And that Derrick had passable "offensive efficiency" stats only serves to show the flaws in such a stat.

And as a freshman, I'd take Traci over either at the same point.

I agree. I'd take the freshman Traci over the freshman Derrick (or the senior Derrick) and the freshman Junior (or the sophomore Junior, and maybe even the junior Junior). Let's see if Traci develops into a real major-college PG. First, he has to manage to keep his job. Part of me hopes he doesn't, because that means Howard is a stud!

I know not many agree with my take on Junior, and I'm fine with that. I just sincerely hope I never see a player that poor starting at the point again for Marquette in my lifetime.

Me, too.

Hey brew, you and I don't disagree as much about Junior as it might appear. You think Junior sucked and was as bad as Derrick. I think Junior wasn't very good but was miles better than Derrick -- and, in the end, was good enough to be a decent PG on a talented, Elite Eight team.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson