[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Junior Cadougan Provided Constant Energy  (Read 8306 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Junior Cadougan Provided Constant Energy
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:13:25 PM »
Junior Cadougan was the kind of player who provided a lot of highs and lows with his constant energy.  Hoping that Traci can continue to take his game in that direction.

This was one of Junior's most memorable plays.

https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/729009469871562754?lang=en
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:18:24 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

KampusFoods

• All American
Re: Junior Cadougan Provided Constant Energy
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 01:19:42 PM »
Cadougan is usually the MU comparison I find myself making when it comes to Traci. Runs the offense well, gets in the lane, can shoot from distance but would prefer him not to. I originally thought he would come to be better than cadougan, but I feel like the addition of Markus Howard will get in the way of that. Nothing wrong with some competition at the PG spot - and I KNOW, Markus can play off the ball - but in the years to come MH will be our point guard, leader, and best player.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »
Most of y'all can't 'member a game changin' point guard at MU. There have been several, but Jr. ain't one of them. Maybe Howard fills dat void, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 01:26:53 PM »
I feel like we're giving Markus Howard  the Juan Anderson and JJJ freshman year treatment. Let's pump the brakes a little.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 01:30:40 PM »
I feel like we're giving Markus Howard  the Juan Anderson and JJJ freshman year treatment. Let's pump the brakes a little.

Exactly.

Youth doesn't automatically mean superiority over those with more experience.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 01:36:54 PM »
Exactly.

Youth doesn't automatically mean superiority over those with more experience.

Except those two guys didn't post high efficiency numbers in volume throughout their entire high school careers and then arguably perform at the highest level of any player on the USA youth teams.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 01:55:33 PM »
Except those two guys didn't post high efficiency numbers in volume throughout their entire high school careers and then arguably perform at the highest level of any player on the USA youth teams.

He's also barely 6 feet tall and isn't the most physical of specimens. Again, let's pump the breaks.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 01:59:20 PM »

I get that and agree, but I trust Jay Bee's opinions on recruits more than most. I don't remember him getting wood for Juan or JJJ. He's got one helluva stiffy for Markus
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 02:16:48 PM »
He's also barely 6 feet tall and isn't the most physical of specimens. Again, let's pump the breaks.

Perfect. Short guys - save Tyler Ulis - tend to stay a while. He's for real though. Playing on a 12-man USA roster. Our last guy to do that, Henry. Before that, Vander (say what you want, he was legit). They don't put "might be good" players on those teams. I don't love the idea of agreeing with JayBee but I'm rollin with him on this one. And TAMU is right: arrogance aside, JB has a good track record of talent evals.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 02:24:11 PM »
Most of y'all can't 'member a game changin' point guard at MU. There have been several, but Jr. ain't one of them. Maybe Howard fills dat void, hey?
Dr. Lloyd Walton brought a lot to the table back in his day.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 02:50:17 PM »
Didn't Cadougan hit a three at the buzzer to send a Pitt game into overtime?  The game was @Pitt.  I can't find it on YouTube.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 03:00:55 PM »
Didn't Cadougan hit a three at the buzzer to send a Pitt game into overtime?  The game was @Pitt.  I can't find it on YouTube.

Did that vs. UConn at home. Don't remember the pitt game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 03:11:52 PM »
He's got one helluva stiffy for Markus

Sounds more than a little squirmy!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:16:52 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 03:14:55 PM »

Lamar Patterson hit a 3 at the buzzer to send the MU@Pitt game into OT in 2013. MU won and Cadougan got hurt.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=330120221

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 03:16:15 PM »
Junior Cadougan was the kind of player who provided a lot of highs and lows with his constant energy.  Hoping that Traci can continue to take his game in that direction.

This was one of Junior's most memorable plays.

https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/729009469871562754?lang=en

Biggest hoop of Junior's career and the second-biggest of that entire Elite Eight season (Vander's shot against Davidson, obviously was bigger).

As I say (far too often, I know), Junior should be the "floor" by which all decent MU point guards are judged. We are a good enough program that we should NEVER have a PG who isn't at least as good as Junior was, and hopefully we'll have one who is better. For two years (Buzz's last and Wojo's first), our PG wasn't even close and the results weren't pretty. Last year, Traci showed flashes. I'm excited to see more from him and also from the new kid on campus.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 03:44:29 PM »
Lamar Patterson hit a 3 at the buzzer to send the MU@Pitt game into OT in 2013. MU won and Cadougan got hurt.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=330120221

Was at that game. Road tripped with SAVEOD238 and couple of other buddies. Really liked the Zoo, great atmosphere to watch a game in. Was happy to walk away with a victory.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 03:57:54 PM »
Was at that game. Road tripped with SAVEOD238 and couple of other buddies. Really liked the Zoo, great atmosphere to watch a game in. Was happy to walk away with a victory.

Either of them SigEps? You can pm me

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 04:36:36 PM »
I hope both Carter and Howard end up much better than Cadougan. In the past two decades plus, the worst point guards that started for us were Junior and Derrick. Try hard guys, did what they could, but paled in comparison to guys like James, Diener, Henry, Hutch, Miller, or Smith.

We have a proud point guard tradition that has fallen on very hard times. Cadougan was benefited greatly by having much better players around him. We need to get back to the point guard actually being one of the much better players.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 05:35:20 PM »
Not gonna be pumping the breaks on Markus. Tooting (blowing? nh) the horn even louder.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 06:01:28 PM »
Not gonna be pumping the breaks on Markus. Tooting (blowing? nh) the horn even louder.

Big Chris hummer level?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 06:25:56 PM »
Big Chris hummer level?

Not sure I can top that... unless someone calls Markus "typical"

@JBBauer612
Adv'd stats for #mubb's Markus Howard through 3 USA U17 games: ORtg 154.5, 19.2% Usage, 23.3% %shots, 65.0% eFG, 24.3% ast, 11.3% to. #Legit

6:24pm · 27 Jun 2016 · TweetDeck
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 06:29:22 PM »
? Although he is not tall, MH certainly is a physical specimen. He has a Beast body prior to his frosh year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 06:58:10 PM »
I hope both Carter and Howard end up much better than Cadougan. In the past two decades plus, the worst point guards that started for us were Junior and Derrick. Try hard guys, did what they could, but paled in comparison to guys like James, Diener, Henry, Hutch, Miller, or Smith.

We have a proud point guard tradition that has fallen on very hard times. Cadougan was benefited greatly by having much better players around him. We need to get back to the point guard actually being one of the much better players.

I would argue that Cadougan, as a junior and especially a senior, was better than Traci last season. You are right, of course, that he had better (especially if "more experienced" goes to better) talent around him.

I also would argue that lumping Junior in the same sentence with Derrick does a major disservice to Junior -- who could beat an opponent off the dribble to set up teammates or himself, finish some around the rim, make the occasional jumper, hit some FTs, etc. Derrick could do approximately none of those things.

I don't want to turn this into another "bash Derrick" thread, but he probably was the worst 2-year-starter, major-college PG I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 07:06:09 PM »
Sweet. You don't want this to TURN into a Derrick bashing thread.......you want to bash him solely and it end there.

I also think that a senior JC on a tourney team is better than a freshman  Traci on last years team.

Did someone argue the contrary?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2016, 07:34:05 PM »
I also would argue that lumping Junior in the same sentence with Derrick does a major disservice to Junior -- who could beat an opponent off the dribble to set up teammates or himself, finish some around the rim, make the occasional jumper, hit some FTs, etc. Derrick could do approximately none of those things.

And defensively, comparing them would be a disservice to Derrick. Junior, for all those abilities, was less efficient offensively than Derrick as a junior and a senior.

Junior and Derrick were a net zero difference. And as a freshman, I'd take Traci over either at the same point. They were the two worst starting points at Marquette in my time following the team.

I know not many agree with my take on Junior, and I'm fine with that. I just sincerely hope I never see a player that poor starting at the point again for Marquette in my lifetime.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback