[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Question About One-And-Done  (Read 2740 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Question About One-And-Done
« on: June 27, 2016, 10:47:20 AM »
It did not hurt Ben Simmons that he did not make the post season
It did not Hurt Henry either (if he slid in the polls it was not because of this)
It did not hurt Thon Maker that he has barely visited the US let alone ever set off on a college campus.

Question ... do HS players think this way?  That it is not imperative to go to Kentucky or Duke?  Was the peak in one-and-done factories the seven coming out earlier from Kentucky two years ago?

To be specific, I'm asking if one-and-done are now more willing to entertain other options from the traditional one-and-done factories.  Will Duke and Kentucky get 1 a piece from here forward or will they split 8 of the top 10 players each year?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Question About One-And-Done
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 10:50:12 AM »
Follow up to the post above ... is the market for NBA draftees so efficient now you could be from Australia, Croatia LSU or MU and the NBA will find you.  So do what you want, not what you think you need to do (one-and-done factory).

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 10:51:01 AM »
We've always known that they don't need to win in college to be noticed. The players who are one and done are already known long before they go to college. There are rare exceptions such as curry (wasn't one and done but...) 

They go to colleges like Kentucky because they want to win in that one season that they are forced to play.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 11:36:18 AM »
The question should be does the coach matter? For example would Coach K had better developed Henry in year than Wojo did? There probably is no basis to truly answer this.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:40:58 AM »
Things one and done generally worry about:

1. Will I get the playing time to show off my skills?

2. Will I have fun?  Some have fun by playing for a winner.  Some have fun by playing with their brother.

3. How much will I have to work in the classroom?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 11:51:30 AM »
It did not hurt Ben Simmons that he did not make the post season
It did not Hurt Henry either (if he slid in the polls it was not because of this)
It did not hurt Thon Maker that he has barely visited the US let alone ever set off on a college campus.

Question ... do HS players think this way?  That it is not imperative to go to Kentucky or Duke?  Was the peak in one-and-done factories the seven coming out earlier from Kentucky two years ago?

To be specific, I'm asking if one-and-done are now more willing to entertain other options from the traditional one-and-done factories.  Will Duke and Kentucky get 1 a piece from here forward or will they split 8 of the top 10 players each year?

Jay Z did that to him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 12:30:29 PM »
Jay Z did that to him.

Glad you came around on this!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 12:33:12 PM »
The question should be does the coach matter? For example would Coach K had better developed Henry in year than Wojo did? There probably is no basis to truly answer this.

Go question.  Maker did just fine with Australian High School coaches. 

One in the column for the coach doesn't really matter that much.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 12:38:06 PM »
Things one and done generally worry about:

1. Will I get the playing time to show off my skills?

2. Will I have fun?  Some have fun by playing for a winner.  Some have fun by playing with their brother.

3. How much will I have to work in the classroom?

4.  Is the training staff knowledgeable about taping ankles to reduce my risk of injury?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 12:46:30 PM »
4.  Is the training staff knowledgeable about taping ankles to reduce my risk of injury?

5. How hot was the Hostess on my recruiting trip?  Did she "service" me first or my dad first?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:52:49 PM by Heisenberg »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 01:04:19 PM »

Pretty much agree. Those who think that getting a player like Simmons or HE and have him go pro after a year proves something for his college coach - that he can "develop" guys for the NBA - are off base. "Coaching" a guy who everyone knew was going #1 from the day he stepped on campus (Simmons) to #1 or a guy projected as a top 10 guy (HE) to #18 is pretty much meaningless from a program standpoint.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 04:08:35 PM »
As with many things, I think the answer is "it depends."

NBA scouts look very carefully at how top prospects play against one another. The Ellenson-Simmons matchup said a lot more about either player than how they performed against Maine or American.

If you're one of the best, and you want to be considered among the best, you want to prove it by playing against the best. You'll get the best opportunity to do that at a blue blood like Duke. Their non-conference schedule included Kentucky, VCU, Georgetown, Indiana and Utah —  followed by conference games against Notre Dame, Syracuse, Louisville, Virginia and UNC. Duke has made 21 straight NCAA tournaments. That includes 5 Final Four appearances and 3 NCAA championships. There is no bigger stage.

Obviously that wasn't the main consideration for Henry — who, thanks to the broad appeal of college basketball and strength of the Big East conference, played under a spotlight that was nearly as strong. Henry was a national story. He got plenty of opportunities to prove himself against top competition: Iowa, LSU, Wisconsin, Providence, Seton Hall, Xavier and the eventual national champion Villanova Wildcats.

Outside the power conferences, the spotlight doesn't shine nearly as bright. But if a player's good enough, NBA scouts will find them.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 02:23:01 PM »

Big man's game, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 03:10:09 PM »
As with many things, I think the answer is "it depends."

NBA scouts look very carefully at how top prospects play against one another. The Ellenson-Simmons matchup said a lot more about either player than how they performed against Maine or American.

If you're one of the best, and you want to be considered among the best, you want to prove it by playing against the best. You'll get the best opportunity to do that at a blue blood like Duke. Their non-conference schedule included Kentucky, VCU, Georgetown, Indiana and Utah —  followed by conference games against Notre Dame, Syracuse, Louisville, Virginia and UNC. Duke has made 21 straight NCAA tournaments. That includes 5 Final Four appearances and 3 NCAA championships. There is no bigger stage.

Obviously that wasn't the main consideration for Henry — who, thanks to the broad appeal of college basketball and strength of the Big East conference, played under a spotlight that was nearly as strong. Henry was a national story. He got plenty of opportunities to prove himself against top competition: Iowa, LSU, Wisconsin, Providence, Seton Hall, Xavier and the eventual national champion Villanova Wildcats.

Outside the power conferences, the spotlight doesn't shine nearly as bright. But if a player's good enough, NBA scouts will find them.

Lots of good stuff in here.

Kemba Walker doesn't get drafted in the top 10 if he doesn't lead UConn to the national title. Obviously, he isn't a 1-and-done, but it speaks to the potential importance of a long tourney run.

The best of the best prospects -- which in theory 1-and-dones are -- will be "found" by NBA scouts and GMs regardless of where they play ... but it can't hurt them to play with and against the best.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 04:37:50 PM »

Maker played HS ball in the US for the first time in.. 2012. 4 years ago.

Get with reality.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback