[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:41:23 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How good will Jajuan be next season?  (Read 16932 times)

Marcus92

• All American
How good will Jajuan be next season?
« on: June 25, 2016, 03:21:12 PM »
His raw stats for the last 16 games of the 2015-16 season (including the Big East tournament):

454 MIN (28.4 MPG)
79-145 FG (.545 FG%)
64-113 2PT (.566 2PT%)
15-32 3PT (.469 3PT%)
39-46 FT (.848 FT%)
212 PTS (13.3 PPG)
66 REB (4.1 RPG)
44 AST (2.8 APG)
29 STL (1.8 SPG)
31 TO (1.9 TPG)

I don't have the ability to calculate the advanced stats — usage, offensive rating, etc. But it seems pretty clear that he ended the season on a tear. I'm particularly impressed by his overall scoring (18.7 points/40 minutes), 3-point shooting (just under 50% is outstanding, even on 2 attempts a game) and effective field goal percentage (59.7% if I have that correct).

Hope this is a sign of things to come.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

bilsu

• All American
Re: How good will Jajuan be next season?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 03:47:30 PM »
He did finish the season on a tear. However, I doubt Reinhardt comes here if he did not expect to start. He is not going to replace Cheatnam or start at point or center. That means his best chance to start is at the two. Can he beat out Wilson? Rousey and Howard are also great shooters who can play the two. My guess is that he averages less than he did as a junior.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 03:56:59 PM »
He did finish the season on a tear. However, I doubt Reinhardt comes here if he did not expect to start. He is not going to replace Cheatnam or start at point or center. That means his best chance to start is at the two. Can he beat out Wilson? Rousey and Howard are also great shooters who can play the two. My guess is that he averages less than he did as a junior.

Reinhardt would have been the second best player on our team last season. The best is off to Detroit. He will have no trouble finding minutes. Cheatham is not guaranteed a starting spot. Lots of competition at his spot
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 04:07:05 PM »

The more I think about next years team, the more I'm convinced that it will be the type of team that really sheds labels like "two" or "forward" and we should stop thinking about who will play each position (the exception to this is Luke/Matt).  Instead, I think Wojo will start the best four wing players, and figure out positions from there.  I think our top four guys outside of Luke will be Haanif, JuJuan, Rowsey, and Katin.  In that lineup, who's your point? Haanif? Rowsey?  Who's the "four"? Katin? JJJ? Maybe even Haanif?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 04:24:49 PM »

I think he gets the third most minutes at 2/3/4 behind Reinhardt and Cheatham. On par with Wilson.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 04:29:14 PM »
Jajuan did some of his best work coming off the bench, as well.

Not sure that it matters so much who starts. Think we'll have a lot of options at the 2-4 spots — with Haanif, Duane, Andrew, Jajuan, Sandy and Katin all seeing significant playing time. Sacar, Sam and Markus are the biggest wild cards to me.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 04:31:54 PM »
I do think there is a good possibility that we see a team on the floor for significant minutes that does not include Luke or Matt. When I look at combinations I am basically allocating all the minutes at center for Luke and Matt. However, it is very possible that Luke and Matt do not always play. Especially with both of them having injuries in the past few months.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 04:39:24 PM »
Somebody better grow and/or put on some significant muscle for that to happen.

You still gave to guard the post and it's hard to see anyone doing that for significant minutes but Luke or Matt.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 04:51:07 PM »
Somebody better grow and/or put on some significant muscle for that to happen.

You still gave to guard the post and it's hard to see anyone doing that for significant minutes but Luke or Matt.

That's obviously the big question mark. Sandy showed he could guard Nigel Hayes, who's 6-8 and at least 230. That may not be the best comparison, since Nigel plays on the perimeter so much. But hopefully Sandy comes into the season stronger with at least 10 more pounds of muscle.

Wojo also recognized Sacar for his work ethic in practice and the weight room. He's undersized at 6-5, but so was Lazar. Defending the post and rebounding aren't just about height. Whether that translates into playing time for Sacar, we'll have to see.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 04:58:04 PM »
Agree that it doesn't matter who starts.  I think So no will go with a platoon system similar Kentucky.  The who team are "starters."  JJ is ultra talented a.d when he hits the floor, he will be hard to take out of games.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 05:09:10 PM »
JJJ is the lone person on the team that has been through Marquette for four years and is a senior. He deserves to start more than any other player on this roster. I hope he sees the opportunity to make this team be his and takes it. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 05:34:39 PM »

Rowsey Cheatham jujuan reinhardt fischer

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 05:35:44 PM »
JJJ is the lone person on the team that has been through Marquette for four years and is a senior. He deserves to start more than any other player on this roster. I hope he sees the opportunity to make this team be his and takes it.

Agreed.  He starts at the #3 alongside Katin and Hanni at the #4 and #2 respectively.  I think PG is a little up in the air but the other 4 starting slots are spoken for in my opinion.  Now distribution of minutes?  That's a completely open question.

Interesting.  We're not young anymore by any stretch.  Likely to start 3 Seniors with a RS Junior as 6th man.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 05:37:32 PM »
Rowsey Cheatham jujuan reinhardt fischer

Certainly possible.  Looking forward to watching Rowsey.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 06:13:36 PM »
I think Rowsey won't get huge minutes but will be very effective when he is out there.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 06:56:21 PM »
His raw stats for the last 16 games of the 2015-16 season (including the Big East tournament):

454 MIN (28.4 MPG)
79-145 FG (.545 FG%)
64-113 2PT (.566 2PT%)
15-32 3PT (.469 3PT%)
39-46 FT (.848 FT%)
212 PTS (13.3 PPG)
66 REB (4.1 RPG)
44 AST (2.8 APG)
29 STL (1.8 SPG)
31 TO (1.9 TPG)

I don't have the ability to calculate the advanced stats — usage, offensive rating, etc. But it seems pretty clear that he ended the season on a tear. I'm particularly impressed by his overall scoring (18.7 points/40 minutes), 3-point shooting (just under 50% is outstanding, even on 2 attempts a game) and effective field goal percentage (59.7% if I have that correct).

Hope this is a sign of things to come.
JJJ was a very effective player for us and appears to be reaching his potential. Not only is he excellent at slashing to the basket , I think he is the best distributor of the ball we have. He is effectively a point forward. I think he is ready for a breakout season.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 07:16:09 PM »
JJJ was a very effective player for us and appears to be reaching his potential. Not only is he excellent at slashing to the basket , I think he is the best distributor of the ball we have.  He is effectively a point forward. I think he is ready for a breakout season.

Uh...no.  Traci had over twice as many assists last year in about the same amount of playing time.  At no point have I ever shared the thought that he is "effectively a point forward."

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 08:14:45 PM »
Uh...no.  Traci had over twice as many assists last year in about the same amount of playing time.  At no point have I ever shared the thought that he is "effectively a point forward."
A lot of times players didn't finish on the passes JJJ made. If you carefully watched him play you would see he always looked to initiate a pass before he did anything else. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 08:23:46 PM »
A lot of times players didn't finish on the passes JJJ made. If you carefully watched him play you would see he always looked to initiate a pass before he did anything else.

Two thoughts...my bet is lots of passes from all players went unfinished, but I'll also guess Traci's passes were more likely to be finished, and I don't want a guy running the point who makes passes players can't finish on.

JJ is not a point forward. He's a solid all-around wing player that has developed a good passing game, decent range, and can get to the basket well while not being a negative on defense.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 08:29:42 PM »
Two thoughts...my bet is lots of passes from all players went unfinished, but I'll also guess Traci's passes were more likely to be finished, and I don't want a guy running the point who makes passes players can't finish on.

JJ is not a point forward. He's a solid all-around wing player that has developed a good passing game, decent range, and can get to the basket well while not being a negative on defense.
JJJ plays with his head up  and I think JJJ has the best handle on the team especially on the run. A lot of the passes that were not finished went to Luke. I like his team oriented mindset. Several times Wojo mentioned that JJJ was the best passer on the team.

---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 08:43:11 PM »

I've watched him plenty of times over the past three years.  At no point did I ever think he was a "point forward type."  He's not a very good ball handler.  Yeah he can break down a defense because he's real quick...especially to his right.  He has improved his shot quite a bit as well.

But "best distributor?"  Nah...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 08:43:56 PM »
JJJ plays with his head up  and I think JJJ has the best handle on the team

Huh?  Best handle on the team?

Do you WATCH the games?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »
Huh?  Best handle on the team?

Do you WATCH the games?
JJJ was on probation his whole career until the last half of the season last year. I believe he has an excellent handle and can make certain passes others on the team cannot even contemplate.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 08:47:34 PM »
JJJ was on probation his whole career until the last half of the season last year.

Oh.

So in other words, you THINK he has these attributes.  The only reason he hasn't show them is because of "mind games" and the like.

Well can't argue with your imagination.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 08:53:26 PM »

Oh.

So in other words, you THINK he has these attributes.  The only reason he hasn't show them is because of "mind games" and the like.

Well can't argue with your imagination.
I never mentioned mind games. It was a known and published fact that JJJ was on a tight leash. I did not say think , I said believe.

Accept the fact. JJJ is a very high quality player.
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback