[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Which Player will be most pivotal to our success in 2016-17

Luke
21 (25.6%)
JJJ
14 (17.1%)
Matt Heldt
6 (7.3%)
Duane
4 (4.9%)
Haanif
12 (14.6%)
Rowsey
7 (8.5%)
Reinhardt
6 (7.3%)
Hauser
0 (0%)
Howard
6 (7.3%)
Traci
1 (1.2%)
Sandy
1 (1.2%)
Sacar
0 (0%)
Cam Marotta
3 (3.7%)
Late  Big Man Recruit/Transfer
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Author Topic: Poll: Who Will Be Key To Our Success in 16-17  (Read 5793 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Poll: Who Will Be Key To Our Success in 16-17
« on: June 24, 2016, 09:19:45 PM »
Who is the player you think will be key to our success next year. By key I don't necessarily mean best or leading scorer etc. Could be someone outperforming past results or realizing on potential.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Poll: Who Will Be Key To Our Success in 16-17
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 09:27:33 PM »
I voted Luke ... right now the team looks like 4 shooters and Luke on the floor.  Of the four shooters we can put on the floor, we have about 7 options.  So if anyone has an off-night/season, other options to pick from. 

If Luke has an off-night or season, we have nothing (unless Heldt pulls a Kaminsky and blows up like no one can possibly expect).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 11:37:13 PM »
Who's Tracy and why do Heldt and Cam get both names?

I don't actually care, I'm just poking fun  8-)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 09:15:57 AM »
I also went for Luke because really he's our only proven big, though I think an argument could be made for quite a few people. Reinhardt, Rowsey, Johnson, (a healthy) Duane, and Haanif could all have the best player claim. Howard could be a breakout freshman. Heldt's ability to provide minutes off the bench could be very important. Excellent question, tough to answer at this point.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 10:15:59 AM »

I think  I go with Heldt.  I believe we have enough scorers and slashers  that will be interchangeable. but Heldt is the only other big.  He doesn't have to be Blow your door's off good, but if he can fulfill the big's  assignments role and keep the ship steady while the other guys do their thing we will have a very nice season.  I'm sure his work will be overshadowed by our other talent, but I think his will be pivotal in 16-17.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

moomoo

• Team Captain
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 10:46:26 AM »
Who's Tracy and why do Heldt and Cam get both names?

I don't actually care, I'm just poking fun  8-)
Correction noted.

I was trying to introduce poll bias with both names.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 10:56:49 AM »
I originally voted Rowsey, because I thought he was the biggest wild card. But if I could I would change my vote. The answer is....Sandy. Sandy is the guard with the best size and ability to defend the four. He also has the size and wingspan to be a great rebounder. If he can come in and effectively play the 4 position....we could be very very good. Plenty of high major teams use PFs Sandy's size. If he can put it together (I'm thinking like Juan Anderson senior year type levels), we'll be in very good shape.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 11:04:12 AM »
Correction noted.

I was trying to introduce poll bias with both names.

The problem with polls with a large number of choices is the choices at the top get the most responses.   See above (This is why professional pollsters change the order of responses from person to person.)

In a month run the same poll but reverse the response order above   ...you will get a vastly different result.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 11:10:10 AM »
I originally voted Rowsey, because I thought he was the biggest wild card. But if I could I would change my vote. The answer is....Sandy. Sandy is the guard with the best size and ability to defend the four. He also has the size and wingspan to be a great rebounder. If he can come in and effectively play the 4 position....we could be very very good. Plenty of high major teams use PFs Sandy's size. If he can put it together (I'm thinking like Juan Anderson senior year type levels), we'll be in very good shape.

Sandy's a great call, I'd change my vote too. I know Reinhardt has size on him, but in terms of playing style, I think Sandy is more likely to actually play the 4 role like a 4. I think Sandy's defense and rebounding will be very important to us and have a feeling he'll play a lot more than most expect.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 11:19:43 AM »
After watching some highlights on Reinhardt, he might be the wild card.  Has some size and can shoot the three, I think he might play the 4 more than Sandy.  I like
having a 2 being guarded by a 4, a mix-match.   With Luke low and having JJJ slash, the other 3, Reinhardt, Cheatham, Howard or Rowsey at the point.  There will be
opportunites to hit some open threes..  JJJ and Cheatham might split some minutes at the 3,  Howard and Carter at the point and then another wild card, Duane Wilson. 
Hauser will have to get sometime to keep the family happy.   Heldt will play for Luke that is 10 already.  Not sure about Anim or Cohen.  Pretty deep team next year.
Should be fine to watch.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 11:54:16 AM »
I voted Jajuan, mainly based on his progress last year.

He posted career highs in mpg, ORtg, PER, 2PT%, 3PT%, eFG% and PTS/40 minutes. Wouldn't be surprised to see him become Marquette's go-to guy on offense. He's also increased his TRB% and STL% in each of his 3 seasons. This could be a monster season for him.

But you could easily make a case for Luke, Matt, Sandy, Duane, Katin, Andrew, Haanif, Traci or even Sacar. To me, the best answer is "all of the above." We need everyone to step up if we're going to get back to the NCAA tournament.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 12:21:32 PM »
I voted Duane. I think a lot of opinion shifted about him last year, but I think he has the potential to take a huge leap this year.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 02:31:19 PM »
I voted Luke, because if he has a bad year or God forbid gets hurt, MU is in a world of trouble.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 02:32:58 PM »
Wojo--need to see his vision implemented.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 04:22:33 PM »
I voted Howard. I am pretty confident in knowing what the other players bring to the table. Howard is the one that has the most chance of significantly exceeding my expectations for him, which would result in this team exceeding my expectations for this year.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 04:44:34 PM »
After watching some highlights on Reinhardt, he might be the wild card.  Has some size and can shoot the three, I think he might play the 4 more than Sandy.  I like
having a 2 being guarded by a 4, a mix-match.   With Luke low and having JJJ slash, the other 3, Reinhardt, Cheatham, Howard or Rowsey at the point.  There will be
opportunites to hit some open threes..  JJJ and Cheatham might split some minutes at the 3,  Howard and Carter at the point and then another wild card, Duane Wilson. 
Hauser will have to get sometime to keep the family happy.   Heldt will play for Luke that is 10 already.  Not sure about Anim or Cohen.  Pretty deep team next year.
Should be fine to watch.
Smoke & mirrors again, hey?
Goal is National Championship

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 04:50:43 PM »
Yes! I'm not the only one for Marrota anymore!  8-)
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 05:34:52 PM »
  I think  I go with Heldt.  I believe we have enough scorers and slashers  that will be interchangeable. but Heldt is the only other big.  He doesn't have to be Blow your door's off good, but if he can fulfill the big's  assignments role and keep the ship steady while the other guys do their thing we will have a very nice season.  I'm sure his work will be overshadowed by our other talent, but I think his will be pivotal in 16-17.

before i even read your response, i was thinking the same things-everyone else needs to be solid, but heldt can become the guy that pushes us over the top.  he's the bonus!  i think we are going to be pleasantly surprised with his growth, both intellectually and physically.  the little bit he played last year, i was impressed with his poise-you cannot teach that.  now, if he takes that to the next level-BINGO!  now we're talkin EyN'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 06:02:05 PM »
before i even read your response, i was thinking the same things-everyone else needs to be solid, but heldt can become the guy that pushes us over the top.  he's the bonus!  i think we are going to be pleasantly surprised with his growth, both intellectually and physically.  the little bit he played last year, i was impressed with his poise-you cannot teach that.  now, if he takes that to the next level-BINGO!  now we're talkin EyN'a?

Yep, I think your right, that he will be a nice surprise.  When Luke gets in foul trouble, he becomes a more sturdy and intimidating presence under the rim.

So much excitement to look forward with this team in 16-17.  So many surprise packages to be opened!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 06:41:05 PM »
Andrew White, a''ina?

1) Luke
2) Markus
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 07:14:34 PM »
Yep, I think your right, that he will be a nice surprise.  When Luke gets in foul trouble, he becomes a more sturdy and intimidating presence under the rim.

So much excitement to look forward with this team in 16-17.  So many surprise packages to be opened!

even playing them together for little stretches-throw some fast balls and change-ups
don't...don't don't don't don't

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 07:36:04 PM »
even playing them together for little stretches-throw some fast balls and change-ups

I like it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 07:27:10 PM »
I voted for Matt Heldt. if we can get 15 Big East quality minutes on both offense and defense from him we will go a long way in 16-17.
                       ---Al McGuire