Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Henry Math  (Read 24720 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Henry Math
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2016, 10:28:40 AM »
I had limited my list to shots I personally witnessed.  We were on a plane when Vander hit that conference winner (and wasn't that in NYC?) and of course Henry's block on Dunn was out east.  I do remember the Carlino shot against Creighton.  Good one but an awfully tough season to stay mentally engaged.  I'm not specifically recalling the Jimmy baseline shot.

Jimmy's baseline shot was a road game, part of a three game trip (Cincy, UConn, SJU I think) where we won all three on the road, and all three in overtime.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2016, 10:44:25 AM »
I was at the BC for Butler, and MU82, that definitely proves the point I'm trying to make. I'm not saying Jake's shot was bigger, I'm not saying Henry didn't have more major moments, but that shot, at that moment, that was probably the loudest I've heard the BC. It certainly hasn't come close to that volume since that shot. And at no point of Butler did it sound anything like it did when Jake came in and hit that shot. Not even close. How could it? There were probably 5,000 more people in the stands for the Syracuse game.

Again, I'm not talking about magnitude. I realize how the rest of the Syracuse game went, and I realize how significant Henry's block on Dunn was (but remember, that wasn't at the BC), but as far as the Bradley Center simply erupting to the point it sounded like the top was going to come off the damn place, Jake's shot was as epic a moment as I've ever heard live.

Henry was the better player and produced more in a single season than Jake did in his career, but Jake hitting that shot at that moment stands out from a crowd perspective as a far bigger eruption moment than any Henry produced for us. That's not a knock on Henry, it's just that the size of crowds he played in front of and the significance of the opponents he played against weren't on par with that.

Thanks for the detailed, common-sense explanation, brew. I'm not out to "take away" that moment from anybody.

Was the BC din significantly louder for Jake's 4 than it was for Mayo's crucial 3 in the second-half run that actually won the game? If you say it was, I will believe you. I wasn't there.

As long as folks acknowledge that there have been numerous "bigger" shots these last several years, the fact that Jake's 4 was more "memorable" ... well, that's cool. None of us should be trying to legislate others' MU memories.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »
I'm not specifically recalling the Jimmy baseline shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDBbyen3Cqs]]

Without that win, we don't go dancing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:24:49 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2016, 11:27:53 AM »

Outstanding work, TAMU. Great to relive that wonderful finish -- not just Jimmy's shot but the entire closing sequence.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2016, 12:29:13 PM »

To say that Henry had a "meh" season after being a freshman All-American and first team Big East member is an incredible statement.  Maybe nothing in particular stands out because he was good all year long.  Wheras Jake's 4 pointer was incredible because he wasn't very good.

I cannot wrap my head around this at all.

No, I didn't say Henry had a meh season, I was referring to Marquettes season as a whole.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #130 on: June 28, 2016, 12:58:44 PM »
Thanks for the detailed, common-sense explanation, brew. I'm not out to "take away" that moment from anybody.

Was the BC din significantly louder for Jake's 4 than it was for Mayo's crucial 3 in the second-half run that actually won the game? If you say it was, I will believe you. I wasn't there.

As long as folks acknowledge that there have been numerous "bigger" shots these last several years, the fact that Jake's 4 was more "memorable" ... well, that's cool. None of us should be trying to legislate others' MU memories.

It was louder, it really was. Consider the context. In the 12 games before that, Jake had almost as many DNPs (7) as he did minutes played (9). He hadn't played more than 5 minutes in a single game in over 2 months (Syracuse was Feb 25, played 10 minutes against LSU on Dec 22). He hadn't hit a three since that LSU game. Also, while I think he was on scholarship at the time, Jake started the season as a walk-on.

At the time, Jake was the guy everyone was rooting for. Cliched or not, it felt like a Rudy moment. Todd's shot was big, arguably bigger, but in terms of the moment itself, the second Jake's shot went through and the ref clearly pointed the foul (not sure anyone heard the whistle through the crowd explosion) it was pretty singular. And I'll happily agree that it wasn't the biggest shot at the BC, and certainly not the biggest shot any Marquette player has hit (DJO's dagger against Syracuse in the tourney deserves mention too) but in terms of atmosphere, eruption, and in-the-building energy, Jake's was one of those "as good as it gets" type moments.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 28, 2016, 09:47:47 PM »
It was louder, it really was. Consider the context. In the 12 games before that, Jake had almost as many DNPs (7) as he did minutes played (9). He hadn't played more than 5 minutes in a single game in over 2 months (Syracuse was Feb 25, played 10 minutes against LSU on Dec 22). He hadn't hit a three since that LSU game. Also, while I think he was on scholarship at the time, Jake started the season as a walk-on.

At the time, Jake was the guy everyone was rooting for. Cliched or not, it felt like a Rudy moment. Todd's shot was big, arguably bigger, but in terms of the moment itself, the second Jake's shot went through and the ref clearly pointed the foul (not sure anyone heard the whistle through the crowd explosion) it was pretty singular. And I'll happily agree that it wasn't the biggest shot at the BC, and certainly not the biggest shot any Marquette player has hit (DJO's dagger against Syracuse in the tourney deserves mention too) but in terms of atmosphere, eruption, and in-the-building energy, Jake's was one of those "as good as it gets" type moments.

OK ... I'll go there ... Jake also is as white as a ghost.

Seriously, brew, thanks for the perspective. I get it. He was the underdog. It was as if a walk-on had hit a big shot.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #132 on: June 28, 2016, 11:02:09 PM »
OK ... I'll go there ... Jake also is as white as a ghost.

Seriously, brew, thanks for the perspective. I get it. He was the underdog. It was as if a walk-on had hit a big shot.

You're not wrong ;)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2016, 07:38:58 AM »

Let's see now; if we apply the transitive property of basketball to that game....
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2016, 08:52:07 AM »

Recall now.  That was a great roadtrip.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2016, 08:59:16 AM »

Brew's 100% right.  Part of the key was that up until that moment most in the building felt that things were slowly slipping away.  So it went from 'pretty subdued' to 'rockin' loud' in an instant.  And Jake was a bit like the students' Rob Frozena character and they always pull extra hard for the underdog.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2016, 01:26:26 PM »

We probably don't rally in the second half of the season without this win. But we were a 6 seed in 2010. We probably go dancing even if we lose that game  :)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2016, 02:08:46 PM »
We probably don't rally in the second half of the season without this win. But we were a 6 seed in 2010. We probably go dancing even if we lose that game  :)

Whoops, got my years mixed up. Was thinking of the 10-11 team.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback