[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Where is Marquette? by muwarrior69
[Today at 09:46:37 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Henry Math  (Read 24736 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Henry Math
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2016, 02:36:15 PM »
Thank you

Jay-Z (Rock) guided Henry though every little detail on the draft process and took someone that was expected to go between 9th (Bilas) and 14th) and turned them into an 18th pick.

How much is that on the Agent/Guide that took him on the process?  Isn't the Agent supposed to know where he is going?  Don't you pay him several thousands of dollars for that insight?

If not, again, what purpose do they serve?

Da agent can't make shinola outta chit. Teams do der due diligence also. Dey check injury, character, coachabilty issues, etc. If da playas fook up der contact wit a team, dats on them and not da agent, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2016, 02:38:28 PM »
So now your position is changing from "Jay-Z is the reason Hank dropped out of the lottery" to "Jay-Z should've known Hank was dropping out of the lottery?"

Either way you get to the same place ... a disappointing draft position.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2016, 02:44:17 PM »
Either way you get to the same place ... a disappointing draft position.

But in one it's because Hank signed with Jay-Z and in the other it's because Hank's stock fell.

I think Hank will be okay.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2016, 02:50:59 PM »
But in one it's because Hank signed with Jay-Z and in the other it's because Hank's stock fell.

I think Hank will be okay.

Yes Hank will be fine.

The dirty little secret is being in the NBA is hard work and a real grind.  A lot of players (Bull's Noah) have said college is a lot more fun and you should stay as long as possible.  See Jahill Okafor, he almost said he still wishes he was at Duke, being a 76ers sucks.

I wonder if Hank will feel the same away around January.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2016, 02:53:23 PM »
Yes Hank will be fine.

The dirty little secret is being in the NBA is hard work and a real grind.  A lot of players (Bull's Noah) have said college is a lot more fun and you should stay as long as possible.  See Jahill Okafor, he almost said he still wishes he was at Duke, being a 76ers sucks.

I wonder if Hank will feel the same away around January.

Well Shabazz Napier said he was starved while at UConn so I think most people would be okay with a little bit more of a grind to be able to eat.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2016, 03:43:09 PM »
2015-2016 NBA Rookie Scale
http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

#18 pick

year 1 = $1.372M
year 2 = $1.433M
year 3 = $1.496M
Total  $4.301  million

Assuming the scale stays the same ...

Question, If Henry returned, where would he have to be drafted next year to make up for the lost $1.372 million from year 1 this year?

Or, what draft position makes him more than $1.372 million, thus making up for the loss of this year's salary.

Answer, #12 next year (again, assuming the scale stays the same)

year 1 = $1.8665M
year 2 = $1.9505M
year 3 = $2.0345
Total  $5.8515  million

So, if Henry stayed and improved his deficiencies, could he have moved up to 12 next year?  If so, he would have been better off staying.

Your math & basic logic is completely eff'd.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2016, 05:35:22 PM »
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but biggest perk of this is that there not as much pressure for hank with the Pistons versus a lottery team.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2016, 05:47:07 PM »
Frequently, your posts.

Leave him alone. He's old.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2016, 06:06:52 PM »
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but biggest perk of this is that there not as much pressure for hank with the Pistons versus a lottery team.

Agreed. He is going into a good situation.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2016, 09:02:14 PM »
Absolutely agree with you Heisey. Even accounting for the time value of money, if he stayed another year and improved his game, he'd be better off staying.

Oh well, here's to a great career for Henry.

He would have to improve his game pretty significantly to get drafted higher next year.  This is the biggest faulty assumption many of you are making.  It is very possible that Henry could return, improve his game, and still get drafted worse than #18.  Also very possible that he misses time for injury, doesn't improve his game significantly, and ends up a second rounder or forced to return for his Junior year. 

I'm having a really hard time understanding why anyone would be questioning Henry's decision, given these scenarios.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2016, 09:06:18 PM »
He would have to improve his game pretty significantly to get drafted higher next year.  This is the biggest faulty assumption many of you are making.  It is very possible that Henry could return, improve his game, and still get drafted worse than #18. Also very possible that he misses time for injury, doesn't improve his game significantly, and ends up a second rounder or forced to return for his Junior year. 

I'm having a really hard time understanding why anyone would be questioning Henry's decision, given these scenarios.

If any of that happens, he's not getting a second contract ... he's Lazar Hayward.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2016, 09:20:03 PM »
If any of that happens, he's not getting a second contract ... he's Lazar Hayward.

And if what you are saying is true, then he would have made an even bigger mistake by staying in school.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2016, 09:23:48 PM »
So is it ever a mistake to come out early?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2016, 09:26:27 PM »

Exhibit A: Vander Blue
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2016, 09:32:35 PM »

Exhibit A: Vander Blue

Wouldn't he have been one year delayed to the D-League and in the same situation?  o why was it a mistake?

How would Vander have improved his situation by returning for his senior year?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2016, 09:42:27 PM »
Wouldn't he have been one year delayed to the D-League and in the same situation?  o why was it a mistake?

I thought  ,while listening to all the commentary last night on Denzell Valentine, that Vander  could have put himself in a similar position with a big Senior Season. Lots of the commentators focused on the fact that the biggest thing Denzell brought to the table was that he could actually actually play basketball well as opposed to just being a physical specimen.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2016, 09:55:52 PM »
I thought  ,while listening to all the commentary last night on Denzell Valentine, that Vander  could have put himself in a similar position with a big Senior Season. Lots of the commentators focused on the fact that the biggest thing Denzell brought to the table was that he could actually actually play basketball well as opposed to just being a physical specimen.

Not this again.

Vander would not have been any better than he is now.  Borderline NBA talent at best.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2016, 09:56:14 PM »

Not if you are a first round pick.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2016, 10:02:39 PM »

Not if you are a first round pick.

So Stone made a mistake?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2016, 10:05:42 PM »
This has been an enjoyable back-and-forth.

Especially enjoyable watching Heisy's thesis -- many theses, actually -- batted back and forth like a ping-pong ball with a crack in it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2016, 10:09:21 PM »
Heisenberg logic:

A: "OK bud, you won the bet. I owe you $20, payable $10 this year, $10 next year."

H: "cool!"

A: "instead of paying you $10 each year.. how about I offer this up? I will give you $15!!!!! 150%!!! but only next year!"

H: "Woah! I was only get a max of $10 either year! $15 next year sounds awesome! yeah bud let's do it!!!"
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2016, 10:14:07 PM »
So Stone made a mistake?

Depends on what his priorities are and how the next couple of years work out for him. 

What point are you trying to make with this anyway?  Are you trying to nail down some sort of objective criteria that will allow you to immediately determine if a player made a poor decision by leaving early?  That is as impossible as it is pointless.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2016, 10:17:53 PM »
Seriously, I'm asking questions to get opinions.  I really have no opinion myself on when or why a player should leave early.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2016, 10:18:26 PM »

I know you are being sarcastic but this post is probably closer to being accurate than the hypothetical scenario where Vander returns to school and magically becomes Denzel Valentine.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2016, 10:48:39 PM »
I know you are being sarcastic but this post is probably closer to being accurate than the hypothetical scenario where Vander returns to school and magically becomes Denzel Valentine.
Vander was tracking Denzells progress in college. It is not at all magical that he could have a monster senior year with us. In fact Denzell was a questionable player his first two years just like Vander. He did not start truly blossoming until the big game he had versus us when he found his three point touch and then  built his junior season from there. I think your forgetting how good Vander was by the end of his junior year. 
Denzell
Freshman 5.0
Sophomore 8.0
Junior         14.5
Senior        19.2

Vander
Freshman  5.1
Sophomore 8.4
Junior         14.8
Senior DNP College Went Overseas and Cup of Coffee in NBA

---Al McGuire