[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Henry Math  (Read 24730 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Henry Math
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 10:14:33 AM »
You forgot to factor for the one additional year of career earnings. 

Lets say Henry can play until he's 30 years old.

Leaving this year, he has 11 total pro earning years--the first three at $4.3 million, and then 8 more seasons.  Lets assume the NBA average of $4.9 million.  That's a career total of $43.5 million.

Leaving next year, he only has 10 total pro earning years.  Even if he makes more his first 3 years at $5.85 million. Problem is that he has only 7 more at the NBA average of $4.9 million.  Career total of $40.2 million.

So by sticking around and moving up to the 12th pick, he might make $1.3 million over the first 3 years of his career, but loses $3.3 million over the course of his career.

Bodies don't delay aging simply because you stay in college longer.  If the body can endure until age 30, it doesn't care that you spent your 20th year in college or the NBA.

Beat me to the punch. You're absolutely correct.

There was no reason for Henry to stay.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2016, 11:08:34 AM »
There was a first round pick who did not hire an agent. I forgot who it was, but he felt he was smart enough to represent himself. I think there was also an MU player that did this (maybe Butler). Given that Henry dropped to 18th did his agent really help him? I did not follow the process closely, but I though Henry did not attend the combine on his agent's advice. What do you think? Did Henry get enough value from hiring an agent?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2016, 11:18:28 AM »
A fatal flaw everyone seems to be making is that everyone is assuming that money is Henry's top priority. It certainly could be. It would be for me. But that's not true of all players. And when you are going to make as much as Henry will in his career, you are more willing to sacrifice some cash for other benefits. Maybe HE really wanted to be a lottery pick. Maybe he wants instant playing time. Maybe he wants to play for a winning team. Only Henry knows. Did he get what he wanted last night? IDK. But I'd guess he expected to go higher than he did. Even if he is disappointed by where he was picked he can still be proud. He has reached a level in his field that most of us can only dream of reaching. Would it have been better had he stayed? Financially? Probably not. Other areas? Who knows?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 11:21:35 AM »
What's so difficult to comprehend, hey?

Frequently, your posts.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 11:22:22 AM »
There was a first round pick who did not hire an agent. I forgot who it was, but he felt he was smart enough to represent himself. I think there was also an MU player that did this (maybe Butler). Given that Henry dropped to 18th did his agent really help him? I did not follow the process closely, but I though Henry did not attend the combine on his agent's advice. What do you think? Did Henry get enough value from hiring an agent?

Agent also helps with non basketball related items like endorsements. Too early to tell how good his representation is.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 11:23:27 AM »
Y'all are full of rectal gas and such. Der is zero reason for Ellenson to have stayed. Its da definition of a no-brainer. Either y'all are jealous, pissed off dat he left, or just plain fookin' ignorant. JC, da kid's realized his dream and procured a well payin' gig. What's so difficult to comprehend, hey?

RIGHT ON!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 11:24:16 AM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 12:34:55 PM »
IMO HE came to MU with plan and executed at a very high level. I am sure there might be some disappointment on being #18 but do not think in the long run it is going mean much. It was a no brained decision and coming back would have been a risk that would not have been worth it. The kid is going to make crazy money and I wish him luck.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 12:37:49 PM »
Frequently, your posts.

Well played.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2016, 01:04:56 PM »
Agent also helps with non basketball related items like endorsements. Too early to tell how good his representation is.

He signed with Jay-Z and then proceeded to get drafted worse than any thought.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2016, 01:06:08 PM »
He signed with Jay-Z and then proceeded to get drafted worse than any thought.

Yeah Jay-Z is why Hank slid.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2016, 01:11:16 PM »
Yeah Jay-Z is why Hank slid.

Isn't an agent supposed to help them increase their draft value?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2016, 01:13:53 PM »
Isn't an agent supposed to help them increase their draft value?

Provide a better rebounder and feeder for his spot up jump shots at workouts or...?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2016, 01:21:03 PM »
Provide a better rebounder and feeder for his spot up jump shots at workouts or...?

I thought the reason you signed with an agent is they provide you with trainers, set up training schedules, help you prepare for the combine and set up team workouts.,  They then talked to the GM to sell then on drafting you.

Also, Henry did not go to the combine, on the advice of his agent, and he was not a lottery pick (top 14 are lottery).  Was that a good call?

I guess all that is wrong and you just exposed one of the biggest frauds in the NBA, signing an agent.  Because you apparently think they do nothing but arrange shoe deals after the fact.

Otherwise it sure looks like Jay-Z is not earning his fee.  Henry is making millions less than he thought he would just 24 hours ago.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2016, 01:29:53 PM »
I thought the reason you signed with an agent is they provide you with trainers, set up training schedules, help you prepare for the combine and set up team workouts.,  They then talked to the GM to sell then on drafting you.

Also, Henry did not go to the combine, on the advice of his agent, and he was not a lottery pick (top 14 are lottery).  Was that a good call?

I guess all that is wrong and you just exposed one of the biggest frauds in the NBA, signing an agent.  Because you apparently think they do nothing but arrange shoe deals after the fact.

Otherwise it sure looks like Jay-Z is not earning his fee.  Henry is making millions less than he thought he would just 24 hours ago.

Agents schedule training for athletes?

Honest question. I've never heard that before.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2016, 01:34:46 PM »

So you think that some NBA GM is going to be listening to some guy who has never played basketball in his life and gets a cut of this player's contract when it comes to who they're going to draft?  Well, if you think so.

Jay-Z's agency is horrible, Thon Maker's agent is the greatest.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2016, 01:46:34 PM »
It's obvious that GM's do not want the distraction of Jay-Z and his band of thugs around the team. This is why no teams will be pursuing Kevin Durant this summer.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2016, 01:51:27 PM »

Heisey gonna Heisey.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2016, 02:03:55 PM »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2016, 02:13:58 PM »

When players leave school and go to trainers in Florida and/or CA, how does a player find out about them, and get in with them?  A 19 year old and his parents do it word of mouth?  Ask your college coach for a recommendation and text them to see if they have time to talk?

Answer, that is why you hire a agent.  They set these things up for you.  They get people to coach you for GM questions.  They guide you through the process.

I get you like to argue with me, but honestly, what is the point of an agent?  What purpose do they serve?  Anyone want to take a stab at it?

And how does an agent do a bad job?  Did Jay-Z (or Rock Management) oversell Henry on where he was going and how much money he was getting?  Is that why his draft position is generally viewed as disappointing?

And yes, someone coached Thon on the NBA process.  Who do you think that was?  You think an 18 year old from Australia who had nmever been in the Midwest before booked a ticket on cheap-o air and took an Uber from Mitchell for his tryout with the Bucks?  Or did he hire someone to help him with the process?  Does that someone go by the name of "Agent?"
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:16:21 PM by Heisenberg »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2016, 02:15:49 PM »

Know a little 'bout da process goin' back ta last year. An agent basically handles ya and all aspects of marketin' da athlete from da day da ol' John Hancock meets da agent's contract. Dey'll hook ya up wit a vehicle, digs, trainers, coach ya on interviewin', combine advice, team workout schedules, endorsements, etc., hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »

Know a little 'bout da process goin' back ta last year. An agent basically handles ya and all aspects of marketin' da athlete from da day da ol' John Hancock meets da agent's contract. Dey'll hook ya up wit a vehicle, digs, trainers, coach ya on interviewin', combine advice, team workout schedules, endorsements, etc., hey?

Thank you

Jay-Z (Rock) guided Henry though every little detail on the draft process and took someone that was expected to go between 9th (Bilas) and 14th) and turned them into an 18th pick.

How much is that on the Agent/Guide that took him on the process?  Isn't the Agent supposed to know where he is going?  Don't you pay him several thousands of dollars for that insight?

If not, again, what purpose do they serve?

brandx

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2016, 02:30:54 PM »
This isn't even a debate, he's so much better off going this year. Why is this even a topic? Common sense prevails here.

-Injury risk
-Time value of money
-Year closer to 2nd contract
-Absolutely loaded 2017 draft

Exactly.

Heisy is only correct if Henry plays 3 years or less.

Otherwise he is much better off financially going this year - even as a lower pick.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2016, 02:33:57 PM »
When players leave school and go to trainers in Florida and/or CA, how does a player find out about them, and get in with them?  A 19 year old and his parents do it word of mouth?  Ask your college coach for a recommendation and text them to see if they have time to talk?

Answer, that is why you hire a agent.  They set these things up for you.  They get people to coach you for GM questions.  They guide you through the process.

I get you like to argue with me, but honestly, what is the point of an agent?  What purpose do they serve?  Anyone want to take a stab at it?

And how does an agent do a bad job?  Did Jay-Z (or Rock Management) oversell Henry on where he was going and how much money he was getting?  Is that why his draft position is generally viewed as disappointing?

And yes, someone coached Thon on the NBA process.  Who do you think that was?  You think an 18 year old from Australia who had nmever been in the Midwest before booked a ticket on cheap-o air and took an Uber from Mitchell for his tryout with the Bucks?  Or did he hire someone to help him with the process?  Does that someone go by the name of "Agent?"

Yeah, Thon's agent took care of all of this, but Hank's left him out to dry.  That's why Thon's a top 10 pick and Hank isn't.

You literally contradict yourself over and over and over.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2016, 02:35:21 PM »
Thank you

Jay-Z (Rock) guided Henry though every little detail on the draft process and took someone that was expected to go between 9th (Bilas) and 14th) and turned them into an 18th pick.

How much is that on the Agent/Guide that took him on the process?  Isn't the Agent supposed to know where he is going?  Don't you pay him several thousands of dollars for that insight?

If not, again, what purpose do they serve?

So now your position is changing from "Jay-Z is the reason Hank dropped out of the lottery" to "Jay-Z should've known Hank was dropping out of the lottery?"

feedback