[Today at 12:28:22 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Draft night thread  (Read 39350 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Draft night thread
« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2016, 11:41:52 PM »
I didn't like the Maker pick. But I loved the Brogdon pick. Could be Milwaukee's next Michael Redd. 3 and D.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2016, 04:43:10 AM »
I didn't like the Maker pick. But I loved the Brogdon pick. Could be Milwaukee's next Michael Redd. 3 and D.

many did not like the greek freek pic either.  but espn has had a few articles on thon and they are quite intriguing.  this kid/yound adult is driven.  he's a good ball handler, shooter, but needs to put on some muscle.  he is a great listener and will do whatever is asked of him

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16262564/nba-draft-prospect-thon-maker-unconventional-path-pay-off
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2016, 10:04:15 AM »
I like the Maker pick for Milwaukee. There really wasn't anyone with that kind of upside left on the board. If he busts, so what, he's the 10th pick. At that spot, you expect role-players or maybe decent starters. Rarely do you see a true star unless they're named Paul (George and Pierce both drafted at 10). Milwaukee got a guy that could be great or could be nothing. Didn't seem like there were any other truly athletic fives, no real must-have point guards, so go for the biggest boom potential.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2016, 11:00:57 AM »
I like the Maker pick for Milwaukee. There really wasn't anyone with that kind of upside left on the board. If he busts, so what, he's the 10th pick. At that spot, you expect role-players or maybe decent starters. Rarely do you see a true star unless they're named Paul (George and Pierce both drafted at 10). Milwaukee got a guy that could be great or could be nothing. Didn't seem like there were any other truly athletic fives, no real must-have point guards, so go for the biggest boom potential.
It was a good pick, but I wanted them to pick Henry. It would have been fun to see him on the same team as Giannis
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2016, 11:11:47 AM »
It was a good pick, but I wanted them to pick Henry. It would have been fun to see him on the same team as Giannis

I'm actually glad they didn't pick Henry. Look at the Rose saga in Chicago. The past few years have been hell on everyone down there, largely because Rose was supposed to be the hometown boy done good for the hometown team. I'd rather see Henry make his own mark rather than be surrounded by the same people and environment he's been in for so long (whether you consider Milwaukee for the past year or Wisconsin for his life).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2016, 11:43:52 AM »
I'm actually glad they didn't pick Henry. Look at the Rose saga in Chicago. The past few years have been hell on everyone down there, largely because Rose was supposed to be the hometown boy done good for the hometown team. I'd rather see Henry make his own mark rather than be surrounded by the same people and environment he's been in for so long (whether you consider Milwaukee for the past year or Wisconsin for his life).

Ellenson's situation is nothing like Rose's. Milwaukee isn't his home town. He played one year in the city.

The equivalent is if Rose would have been drafted by the Grizzlies.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #206 on: June 25, 2016, 12:16:43 PM »
Ellenson's situation is nothing like Rose's. Milwaukee isn't his home town. He played one year in the city.

The equivalent is if Rose would have been drafted by the Grizzlies.

I disagree because the bulk of the state embraces the instate teams. By and large, the Packers, Brewers, Bucks, and (grudgingly) Badgers are embraced by everyone.

It's not an exact analogy, but if any Wisconsin kid lands on a Wisconsin team, it's news and they're treated as the hometown guy.

The Rose situation will always be somewhat unique, but I fully believe being drafted by your local team can have some specific pitfalls you won't find elsewhere.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #207 on: June 26, 2016, 06:34:02 AM »
    these post draft "EXPERTS" crack me up.  this dude from SI thinks he's the 2nd coming of red auerbach.  so he really stretches himself and gives the lakers an "A" because they took brandon ingram...duh.  then philly gets a B+?  well they took the guy everyone SAYS is the BEST-simmons and then grabbed a guy only the basketball "geeks" would have known and spells his first name funny.  there's got to be a happy face at the end when you spell timoth :) with an "E"

"Philly landed Timothe Luwawu at 24, a major steal, and grabbed Furkan Korkmaz, an 18–year-old guard who may be the best draft-and-stash option in the first round."

am i the only guy on this planet that thinks simmons might, and i said "might" be a tad over-rated?  i mean he's good, and shows an up-side, but haven't these sports guys heard of the 4 hour rule and to see a doctor if ya can't get rid of that pesky thing makin ya walk funny?  i will not be surprised if simmons turns out to be another so-so playa, but so-so at #1 is a bust in my books 'eyn'a hey fellas?

then he goes on and grades the milwaukee bucks an "F"??   

they know little to nothing about maker(hint hint hint-greek freek) and brogdon is a solid, if not a steal in the 2nd round.  but the "F" makes no sense at all.  he gives the bucks pick of maker a "C-" then the bucks grab a 2nd round stud and the grade falls to an "F" ??  if anything, it should raise it to at least a "B" or "B+"  this is where i believe mr. sharp(as a butter knife) loses some credibility

point-i didn't realize there were so many arm chair GM's out there and how the hack can you grade a draft before any of these guys play a few years. the only redeeming quality this guy-andrew sharp shows is that he gave the detroit pistons an "A" for grabbing HE!!  i know,  i know, it's just like a-holes 'eyn'a?

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/24/nba-draft-team-grades-lakers-bucks-76ers-celtics-timberwolves

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #208 on: June 27, 2016, 10:32:00 PM »
The Rose situation will always be somewhat unique, but I fully believe being drafted by your local team can have some specific pitfalls you won't find elsewhere.

Then the problem would be evident if Henry had been drafted by the T'Wolves. Last time I checked, Rice Lake is about 90 minutes from the Twin Cities and about 4.5 hours from Milwaukee. Most of the locals in and around Barron County are Minnesota fans.

Even that obnoxious football team based in the Twin Cities has a reasonably good following in Polk, Barron, Washburn and Douglas Counties along the western border of the state. Illegal immigration from Minnesota has been a real problem up there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2016, 10:49:18 PM »
    these post draft "EXPERTS" crack me up.  this dude from SI thinks he's the 2nd coming of red auerbach.  so he really stretches himself and gives the lakers an "A" because they took brandon ingram...duh.  then philly gets a B+?  well they took the guy everyone SAYS is the BEST-simmons and then grabbed a guy only the basketball "geeks" would have known and spells his first name funny.  there's got to be a happy face at the end when you spell timoth :) with an "E"

"Philly landed Timothe Luwawu at 24, a major steal, and grabbed Furkan Korkmaz, an 18–year-old guard who may be the best draft-and-stash option in the first round."

am i the only guy on this planet that thinks simmons might, and i said "might" be a tad over-rated?  i mean he's good, and shows an up-side, but haven't these sports guys heard of the 4 hour rule and to see a doctor if ya can't get rid of that pesky thing makin ya walk funny?  i will not be surprised if simmons turns out to be another so-so playa, but so-so at #1 is a bust in my books 'eyn'a hey fellas?

then he goes on and grades the milwaukee bucks an "F"??   

they know little to nothing about maker(hint hint hint-greek freek) and brogdon is a solid, if not a steal in the 2nd round.  but the "F" makes no sense at all.  he gives the bucks pick of maker a "C-" then the bucks grab a 2nd round stud and the grade falls to an "F" ??  if anything, it should raise it to at least a "B" or "B+"  this is where i believe mr. sharp(as a butter knife) loses some credibility

point-i didn't realize there were so many arm chair GM's out there and how the hack can you grade a draft before any of these guys play a few years. the only redeeming quality this guy-andrew sharp shows is that he gave the detroit pistons an "A" for grabbing HE!!  i know,  i know, it's just like a-holes 'eyn'a?

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/24/nba-draft-team-grades-lakers-bucks-76ers-celtics-timberwolves

wait a second, rocketman ... if you're grading, aren't the grades "a," "b," "c," etc?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2016, 11:36:26 PM »

+1

Look at the next 10 picks. Nothing there with this strong of upside. Only person I'd rather have that was on the board was Henry, and it was as much for MU reasons as Bucks reasons. Maker is a good outside shooter so can contribute in spot roles now. We'll see where it goes from there.

I loved the Brogdon pick. He's a Khris Middleton kind of player. Versatile defender, steady offense, leader.

For what it's worth, the Bucks' worst move was trading McCaw. I think he'll be a player for Golden State down the road.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2016, 12:48:40 PM »
Then the problem would be evident if Henry had been drafted by the T'Wolves. Last time I checked, Rice Lake is about 90 minutes from the Twin Cities and about 4.5 hours from Milwaukee. Most of the locals in and around Barron County are Minnesota fans.

Even that obnoxious football team based in the Twin Cities has a reasonably good following in Polk, Barron, Washburn and Douglas Counties along the western border of the state. Illegal immigration from Minnesota has been a real problem up there.

I think for Henry, either situation could have the potential for those home town problems. There's benefits to getting away after college and going somewhere you aren't as familiar with. Henry would have had a lot of family and friends close in Minnesota, but he was playing with a Milwaukee-based AAU team before coming to Marquette, so there's familiarity here as well.

Just my opinion, but I think there's benefit to getting away from home, especially in a high-profile career like that. Who knows...Detroit may not even be far enough.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2016, 03:41:36 PM »
http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft

Luke at 46th in nba draft net's way too early 2017 mock draft.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2016, 03:52:20 PM »

Rose's problems in Chicago had virtually nothing to do with him being from Chicago. Being from Chicago certainly didn't prevent him from becoming the youngest MVP in league history.
The issues revolved almost entirely around the perception, fair or not, that he became far too cautious about his health after suffering some bad luck injuries, which became a detriment to his game and his team.
The same issues would have existed if he were from Charlotte or Phoenix.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2016, 04:01:56 PM »
http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft

Luke at 46th in nba draft net's way too early 2017 mock draft.

I'd love to see this happen, but there's no way unless he really demonstrates some better skills and smarter decisions this year.  Height alone won't do it.

Also, that draft has exactly 5 foreign players listed in it.  There were SIXTEEN foreign guys taken in last year's draft.  The foreign players and anti-senior bias will quickly push Luke off the draft board. 

Could I see him signing with a team, playing in the summer league, and bouncing around the D-League?  Sure!  But Luke getting drafted is a long shot right now.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #215 on: June 28, 2016, 09:38:45 PM »
Rose's problems in Chicago had virtually nothing to do with him being from Chicago. Being from Chicago certainly didn't prevent him from becoming the youngest MVP in league history.
The issues revolved almost entirely around the perception, fair or not, that he became far too cautious about his health after suffering some bad luck injuries, which became a detriment to his game and his team.

i agree-after blowing out his knee(s) among other issues really changed his game both physically and mentally.  as a player, he probably didn't want to come right out and admit these things.  it would have been an admission of failure which could serve to diminish ones value.  and well, it's a guy thing.  when his game changed, so did everyone elses. their games diminished, along with the team's=discontent and finger pointing.  did he get lazy or was he playing NOT to get hurt?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #216 on: June 28, 2016, 09:42:17 PM »
I'd love to see this happen, but there's no way unless he really demonstrates some better skills and smarter decisions this year.  Height alone won't do it.

Also, that draft has exactly 5 foreign players listed in it.  There were SIXTEEN foreign guys taken in last year's draft.  The foreign players and anti-senior bias will quickly push Luke off the draft board. 

Could I see him signing with a team, playing in the summer league, and bouncing around the D-League?  Sure!  But Luke getting drafted is a long shot right now.

People always forget about the foreigners. Unless Trump hurries up and builds a wall around the NBA (and makes Croatia pay for it), there will be a slew of them again.

I have a long history here of giving Luke a big thumbs-up as a college player, but IMHO he has next to no NBA skills. It's hard to imagine him developing them in a few month's time.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #217 on: June 28, 2016, 11:01:30 PM »

Disagree. They may have all surfaced eventually, but not the way they did in his hometown. He's still a divisive force. Some feel he got the shaft, some despise that he's not "Chicago Tough", in any other city they would have accepted he fell off and moved on. That still hasn't fully happened there.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #218 on: June 29, 2016, 01:56:22 AM »
Disagree. They may have all surfaced eventually, but not the way they did in his hometown. He's still a divisive force. Some feel he got the shaft, some despise that he's not "Chicago Tough", in any other city they would have accepted he fell off and moved on. That still hasn't fully happened there.

I'll give you two more reason why Rose outstayed his welcome and why it probably would have been a problem in any other city (admittedly playing for Chicago fans didn't help his cause.

1a. BJ Armstrong
1b. Reggie Rose

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #219 on: June 29, 2016, 04:46:10 AM »
wait a second, rocketman ... if you're grading, aren't the grades "a," "b," "c," etc?

OH, YOU CAUGHT THAT?  i'm just an unpredictable wild and crazy guy eYn'A?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #220 on: June 29, 2016, 09:39:49 AM »
The idea that Maker is an unknown is bizarre. The kid's been playing HS basketball for 4 years, was VA Gatorade POY a couple years ago, has been on the travel scene for years, etc

His origins may be up for debate, but I'm just a guy in Mpls and have spent hours in the gym watching him in person... not some crazy secret or mystery some media paint him to be
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #221 on: June 29, 2016, 09:47:30 AM »
The idea that Maker is an unknown is bizarre. The kid's been playing HS basketball for 4 years, was VA Gatorade POY a couple years ago, has been on the travel scene for years, etc

His origins may be up for debate, but I'm just a guy in Mpls and have spent hours in the gym watching him in person... not some crazy secret or mystery some media paint him to be

Agreed.  I never got that.  Just because an NBA scout can't go sit in a high school gym and watch a game doesn't mean he's never seen the guy until some workout in NYC.  There's plenty of video of Thon vs. Skal, Thon vs. Jaylen Brown, etc.

The guy has a really impressive skillset.  It's not a mystery.  The only mystery is whether he can take the physicality of the NBA, which his a mystery with just about every 19 year old rookie.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #222 on: June 29, 2016, 10:03:22 AM »

So you think he'd have been given more slack playing in Philly, Boston or New York if he was perceived as being unwilling to play through injuries or not tough?
Todd Harvey (among many others) may beg to differ.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #223 on: June 29, 2016, 10:29:22 AM »
So you think he'd have been given more slack playing in Philly, Boston or New York if he was perceived as being unwilling to play through injuries or not tough?
Todd Harvey (among many others) may beg to differ.

Not saying he'd have gotten slack, but there wouldn't have been the fans divided on whether he should stay because he's a hometown kid or slamming him because the hometown kid isn't trying hard enough. In those cities, it would have been far easier for the organization and fanbase to just say "Rose is done, let's move on" than it was in his hometown.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #224 on: June 29, 2016, 04:44:11 PM »
Not saying he'd have gotten slack, but there wouldn't have been the fans divided on whether he should stay because he's a hometown kid or slamming him because the hometown kid isn't trying hard enough. In those cities, it would have been far easier for the organization and fanbase to just say "Rose is done, let's move on" than it was in his hometown.
Ehhh .... I think the vast consensus here in Chicago was that it's been time for Rose to move on for a while now. I haven't seen a great outcry over him being moved. It's been more a sense of relief from everyone.

feedback