[Today at 04:10:59 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Draft night thread  (Read 39625 times)

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Re: Draft night thread
« Reply #175 on: June 23, 2016, 11:04:33 PM »
Happy for Henry. Will represent us well.

But given where he was picked, was it worth coming out early? Not sure I buy it. Wished he'd stayed and refined his game, but he'll do well as a Piston.
How much higher do you think he would've gone next year? He's making millions more this year and will get his fa payday sooner while developing against better competition. Whatever more he could have got by waiting a year is not worth the risk of entering the draft a year older without showing the improvements expected.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #176 on: June 23, 2016, 11:06:00 PM »
BREAKING: UK broadcasters project that Britain has voted to leave the 28-nation European Union in historic referendum.

And now back to your regularly scheduled Draft Night thread......   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #177 on: June 23, 2016, 11:07:39 PM »
How much higher do you think he would've gone next year? He's making millions more this year and will get his fa payday sooner while developing against better competition. Whatever more he could have got by waiting a year is not worth the risk of entering the draft a year older without showing the improvements expected.

Yep.  Basic rule of finance: "Today is better than tomorrow". 
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2016, 11:09:59 PM »
Yep.  Basic rule of finance: "Today is better than tomorrow".

Yup.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2016, 11:21:24 PM »
BREAKING: UK broadcasters project that Britain has voted to leave the 28-nation European Union in historic referendum.

And now back to your regularly scheduled Draft Night thread......   ;)

They've left the Germany Union.   British exit is still not ensured though.  The current parliament and Cameron can postpone an exit as long as they wish.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:30:36 PM by Blackhat »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #180 on: June 23, 2016, 11:23:59 PM »
Big congrats to Abdel Nader. Kid has worked so hard since high school. Saw him today, he didn't think he would get drafted but the Spurs were going to sign him immediately after the draft.

Man, so proud of him. Easily the most famous person in my phone now  ;)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #181 on: June 23, 2016, 11:50:11 PM »
Espn (Chad Ford) had Maker going to the Bucks in the 1st. I was hoping for Sabonis.

When? Because this morning he had Chriss going to the Bucks. Did he change his picks afterwards again?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #182 on: June 24, 2016, 01:10:53 AM »
Detroit Pistons fan here. With the recent history of Pistons 1st round picks, not so sure Henry will thrive there. I liked him at MU, but never thought he should have left after 1 year, so I have mixed emotions of him being drafted by my favorite pro team. I do not have any expectations of him making a difference in Detroit, so hopefully he proves me wrong and Detroit is hard pressed to sign him for his second contract.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #183 on: June 24, 2016, 02:57:40 AM »
Wow, there's a lot of negativity on the board here.  I can't believe anyone would call tonight a disappointment or argue that being drafted in the mid-first round means a kid should have stayed in school.

Let's keep some perspective here.  Henry just became a guaranteed millionaire tonight, is going to play for a decent NBA team and a very good coach.  Also I would bet a lot of money that had Henry stayed in school, he wouldn't have been drafted as high next year.

yes and no-

yes there is BUT i do not believe it's out of any disrespect.  i believe it's more out of ALL the prognosticators and guru's and draft proctologists having HE going anywhere from #5 up to 12-13 with most thinking #10 at MOST.  so as HE fell further and further from #13 and with the long pauses in between and ALL the experts yappin away, the inmates here were showing their restlessness.  that gave people time to 2nd guess the process.

then, you'll notice at #18, you heard a big collective sigh of relief as the gas bubble that had been stuck between the duodenal sphincter and the descending colon finally let loose and you heard the chorus unreel the crescendo of congrats and atta boys like nothing happened. 

HE can take this 2 ways and i think i know which way HE'll go.  there is going to be a chip on his shoulder and we all will see what HE is made of.  it won't be next year or the year after.  barring injury(s), years 3 and up will be key.  chezus, HE'll be all of what? 21-22-23 years old and in his 3rd NBA year?  many people wouldn't mind trading places with that kind of resume. 

what do ya'll think?  should he pull out the dirk nowitzki tapes or the kevin durant tapes?  who or what should HE be aiming for?  everyone knows HE needs to work on his defense and lateral explosions, but come on man, he's a big white kid from rice lake.  what about larry bird II? or as previously mentioned, the guy the bucks picked in 1998 and promptly traded him to dallas for a guy who isn't even on this earth(rip RT) anymore. 

if HE puts on some real muscle, works on his shot and defense, he could become a real destroyer.  think blake griffin with a 25 foot J baby  OH HENRY!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #184 on: June 24, 2016, 03:11:54 AM »
bucks pick #36-malcoim brogdon is a buddy hield clone-this dude is going to be a shooootah!  nice!
don't...don't don't don't don't

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #185 on: June 24, 2016, 04:22:09 AM »
Detroit Pistons fan here. With the recent history of Pistons 1st round picks, not so sure Henry will thrive there. I liked him at MU, but never thought he should have left after 1 year, so I have mixed emotions of him being drafted by my favorite pro team. I do not have any expectations of him making a difference in Detroit, so hopefully he proves me wrong and Detroit is hard pressed to sign him for his second contract.

Are you saying you don't like behind the back dribbling?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #186 on: June 24, 2016, 06:45:37 AM »
bucks pick #36-malcoim brogdon is a buddy hield clone-this dude is going to be a shooootah!  nice!

He's nothing like Hield. He's a defender which is great.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #187 on: June 24, 2016, 07:41:30 AM »
Congrats to Henry!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #188 on: June 24, 2016, 07:59:07 AM »
Bucks had a good draft.    Maker is a very intriguing prospect and a very good perimeter defender in Brogdon.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #189 on: June 24, 2016, 08:14:32 AM »
So if HE goes at 18, where would he have had to go to make up the financial difference if he had stayed another year?

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=51310
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #190 on: June 24, 2016, 08:40:28 AM »
Henry Ellenson is a very good player and will likely have a long, solid NBA career. He's a big bodied stretch 4 with good rebounding skills and a decent touch from the outside. Teams like those traits. On the flip side, he's not athletic and he's not overly tough. He's a guy with a high floor and a low ceiling. The odds of him being a bust a very slim (barring serious injury). He's a safe pick. He isn't going to be Dirk or Love. He's likely going to be more like (his new teammate) Marcus Morris.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #191 on: June 24, 2016, 01:56:22 PM »
http://usat.ly/28UBSgh

USA Today calls the Pistons pick of HE one of the best moves of the draft.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #192 on: June 24, 2016, 08:25:05 PM »

Yup, I think it is just as likely, if not more likely, that Henry would fall further in the draft next year.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #193 on: June 24, 2016, 08:43:16 PM »
I'm not a fan of that shirt, and is there some reason big guys need double vents? Suit is nice though. Tie a little drab for me.

If you want a really great fashion run-down on the NBA first round picks, check this out.  These ladies usually spend most of their time mocking Kardashian fashion or bad Oscar gowns, but they decided to do something a little different:

http://www.gofugyourself.com/fugs-and-fabs-the-2016-nba-draft-06-2016/2016-nba-draft-3

I especially like how they pointed out that Silver looks just like Mr. Slugworth from the Willy Wonka movie.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:45:55 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

brandx

« Reply #194 on: June 24, 2016, 08:43:54 PM »
Yup, I think it is just as likely, if not more likely, that Henry would fall further in the draft next year.

I don't know how much Henry would improve, but last night was a pretty weak draft. Only 5 freshmen in the lottery. I would be willing to bet there will be more next year - maybe several more.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #195 on: June 24, 2016, 09:26:27 PM »
Far too much is put on draft position. Draft selections simply reflect how NBA general managers evaluate the players available to them — and how they see each one fitting the team's needs.

Sometimes they make good evaluations. Sometimes not so much.

Anthony Bennett, the #1 overall pick just 3 years ago, was waived this year by the Toronto Raptors. He's averaged 4.2 points and 3.1 rebounds in 12.8 minutes a game.

At the time of the 2013 draft, I don't remember anyone criticizing the pick. The Cavs could have selected Victor Oladipo (#2), who went on to be named to the NBA All-Rookie first team. Or they could have picked Giannis Antetokounmpo (#15), also named to the All-Rookie team and a rising star.

There are countless other examples: Greg Oden, Kwame Brown, Michael Olowokandi, etc. The fact is that the NBA draft is a crap shoot. Only about 50% of Top 5 picks ever make an All-Star game appearance. That number drops to about 20% with picks 6-10, and 10% with picks 11-15. The average NBA career is less than 5 years, not much longer than a 3-year rookie contract.

And think about what it means that the worst teams draft first. Franchises like San Antonio have shown that they're good at evaluating and developing talent — even without the benefit of high draft picks. You have to at least question a lottery team's ability to judge talent because of the situation they've placed themselves in (i.e. losing a lot of games).

Henry should be congratulated on achieving his dream of making it to the NBA. Now is where the real hard work begins. He has to earn his roster spot and playing time competing against the best basketball players in the world. Whether he was drafted #18 or #8 or #28 won't matter if he proves that he belongs in the league.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2013/2/10/3974638/just-how-valuable-are-lottery-draft-picks
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:03:12 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #196 on: June 24, 2016, 09:28:31 PM »
Far too much is put on draft position. Draft selections simply reflects how NBA general managers evaluate the players available to them — and how they see each one fitting the team's needs.

Sometimes they make good evaluations. Sometimes not so much.

Anthony Bennett, the #1 overall pick just 3 years ago, was waived this year by the Toronto Raptors. He's averaged 4.2 points and 3.1 rebounds in 12.8 minutes a game.

At the time of the 2013 draft, I don't remember anyone criticizing the pick. The Cavs could have selected Victor Oladipo (#2), who went on to be named to the NBA All-Rookie first team. Or they could have picked Giannis Antetokounmpo (#15), also named to the All-Rookie team and a rising star.

There are countless other examples: Greg Oden, Kwame Brown, Michael Olowokandi, etc. The fact is that the NBA draft is a crap shoot. Only about 50% of Top 5 picks ever make an All-Star game appearance. That number drops to about 20% with picks 6-10, and 10% with picks 11-15. The average NBA career is less than 5 years, not much longer than a 3-year rookie contract.

And think about what it means that the worst teams draft first. Franchises like San Antonio have shown that they're good at evaluating and developing talent — even without the benefit of high draft picks. You have to at least question a lottery team's ability to judge talent because of the situation they've placed themselves in (i.e. losing a lot of games).

Henry should be congratulated on achieving his dream of making it to the NBA. Now is where the real hard work begins. He has to earn his roster spot and playing time competing against the best basketball players in the world. Whether he was drafted #18 or #8 or #28 won't matter if he proves that he belongs in the league.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2013/2/10/3974638/just-how-valuable-are-lottery-draft-picks

In support of your point on San Antonio, they just signed Bryn Forbes. 48 percent 3 point shooter...
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/mens-basketball/2016/06/24/msus-costello-sign-atlanta-hawks/86339108/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #197 on: June 24, 2016, 09:34:18 PM »
If you want a really great fashion run-down on the NBA first round picks, check this out.  These ladies usually spend most of their time mocking Kardashian fashion or bad Oscar gowns, but they decided to do something a little different:

http://www.gofugyourself.com/fugs-and-fabs-the-2016-nba-draft-06-2016/2016-nba-draft-3

I especially like how they pointed out that Silver looks just like Mr. Slugworth from the Willy Wonka movie.

The "flower lapel pin" Henry and a few others wore was for National Cancer Survivor Month.  Blue, who ch Henry sported, is for prostate cancer, and I saw some pink for breast cancer. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #198 on: June 24, 2016, 10:29:13 PM »

Brogdon is not much like Hield at all, and he spells his name with capital letters, but I believe he was one of the steals of the draft.

Hellacious defender who probably will be better offensively than many think (39% from arc, 90% FT), really smart young man, very hard-working, NBA body already, and pretty talented. I see his floor being Thabo Sefolosha-like.

FWIW, I am neither a Bucks fan nor a UVa fan. I just like the cut of Brogdon's jib.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2016, 10:41:13 PM »
Brogdon is not much like Hield at all, and he spells his name with capital letters, but I believe he was one of the steals of the draft.

Hellacious defender who probably will be better offensively than many think (39% from arc, 90% FT), really smart young man, very hard-working, NBA body already, and pretty talented. I see his floor being Thabo Sefolosha-like.

FWIW, I am neither a Bucks fan nor a UVa fan. I just like the cut of Brogdon's jib.

Agreed.  In a draft where there are very few sure things, Brogdon is one and he fell to the 2nd round.

feedback