[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Kostas off the board  (Read 19667 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Kostas off the board
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 08:50:53 PM »
exactly my feelings all along-glad to know i'm not totally.......crazy
Always go with your own beliefs. Don't let peer pressure or bullying influencing your thought process. Dayton considers Kostas one of their most exciting recruits of the Archie Miller era. 

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/sports/college-basketball/kostas-antetokounmpo-picked-dayton-flyers-three-da/nrm8G/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 09:06:45 PM »
Always go with your own beliefs. Don't let peer pressure or bullying influencing your thought process. Dayton considers Kostas one of their most exciting recruits of the Archie Miller era. 

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/sports/college-basketball/kostas-antetokounmpo-picked-dayton-flyers-three-da/nrm8G/

That has everything to do with his 247 ranking and nothing to do with his talent.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 09:35:05 PM »
That has everything to do with his 247 ranking and nothing to do with his talent.
Archie Miller coaching record:

2011-12    Dayton       20–13   9–7   5th   NIT First Round
2012–13   Dayton   17–14   7–9   11th   
2013–14   Dayton   26–11   10–6   T–5th   NCAA Elite Eight
2014–15   Dayton   27–9          13–5   T–2nd   CAA  32
2015–16   Dayton   25–8           14–4   T–1st        NCAA Round of 64
Dayton:   115–55 (.676)   53–31 (.631)   
Total:   115–55 (.676)   

I think Archie is a pretty good judge of  talent.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 09:45:29 PM »
exactly my feelings all along-glad to know i'm not totally.......crazy
Everyone on this board is crazy.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 10:11:22 PM »

He's coached in the A10 his entire career.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2016, 10:21:16 PM »

It's late March and he had two open schollies. He took a flyer on kid with a famous last name. Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't. From what I've heard, I'm not convinced he will actually make it to campus. Also, I read the article you posted, it said nothing about Kostas being one of his most exciting recruits. It said he was one of the highest rated. Which again goes back to the last name.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 10:46:15 PM »
It's late March and he had two open schollies. He took a flyer on kid with a famous last name. Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't. From what I've heard, I'm not convinced he will actually make it to campus. Also, I read the article you posted, it said nothing about Kostas being one of his most exciting recruits. It said he was one of the highest rated. Which again goes back to the last name.

Other commentary on Kostas

http://www.deepishthoughts.com/kostas-antetokounmpo-will-enroll-dayton/

Mr. Wilson, who does this for a living,  seems to think he has pretty good talent.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 10:56:06 PM »

Mr. Wilson, who does this for a living,  seems to think he has pretty good talent.

He has no motivation to hype the kid up either...

The kid was an average guy on a Division 4 WIAA team as a 6'11" senior. Marquette has never had any interest yet every time Kostas is brought up on the internet you're here posting it in the Al. Your obsession is odd.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:58:00 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 11:20:48 PM »

You're telling me an aau coach hyped up a kid on his team? Really?

If he didn't have a famous last name no one would have any idea who he was. He didn't even start for his WIAA D4 team until this year despite having a foot on almost everyone else. Without his brother he'd be a mid major prospect at best, more likely a low major
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 11:55:58 PM »
You're telling me an aau coach hyped up a kid on his team? Really?

If he didn't have a famous last name no one would have any idea who he was. He didn't even start for his WIAA D4 team until this year despite having a foot on almost everyone else. Without his brother he'd be a mid major prospect at best, more likely a low major
Mr. Wilson has zero incentive to over hype a kid. He is running a successful  business and his stock in trade is giving honest assessments . I trust Mr. Wilson's judgement.

Florida , which the last time I looked, is a pretty good program, also offered Kostas.

The "Kostas has no talent" argument has been decided in the favor of " he has talent".

You seem to know a lot about recruiting. The very first thing all coaches look at in every sport is the athletes  blood lines. Every college sports questionnaire a kids fill out has a spot for siblings.  The fact that his two older brothers are complete studs is only a positive. There is zero negative in that.

Do You think it hurt Wes Matthews that his dad was Wes Matthews and his mom was an incredible track athlete?

I am sure Arizona was delighted that Luke Waltons dad was Bill Walton.

In all likelihood we are going to offer Zaire Wade. Is that a bad thing?

---Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 12:16:51 AM »
Wait, I think I figured it out. Marquette Fan in NY is actually UDPride. This was all just a really long con set up to make Marquette fans look like terrible people to the Kostas camp so Dayton could get him all to themselves. Damn you UDPride.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2016, 01:47:40 AM »
Mr. Wilson has zero incentive to over hype a kid. He is running a successful  business and his stock in trade is giving honest assessments . I trust Mr. Wilson's judgement.

Florida , which the last time I looked, is a pretty good program, also offered Kostas.

The "Kostas has no talent" argument has been decided in the favor of " he has talent".

You seem to know a lot about recruiting. The very first thing all coaches look at in every sport is the athletes  blood lines. Every college sports questionnaire a kids fill out has a spot for siblings.  The fact that his two older brothers are complete studs is only a positive. There is zero negative in that.

Do You think it hurt Wes Matthews that his dad was Wes Matthews and his mom was an incredible track athlete?

Aau coaches have a ton of incentive to hype their kids. It's their job to get their players into quality programs. The better programs the kids go to, the better of a coach he's percieved as.

I'm not sure what argument you are trying to make with Wes. It's not a bad thing to have good bloodlines. But that and height are the only things Kostas has going for him.

I'm sure you know that an "offer" is worth the paper it's written on. It essentially means the school is kicking the tires. Yes Florida "offered." They also cooled on him and rescinded said "offer." As did Purdue, as did st. Johns, as did every other high major program who "offered" him.

If Kostas had talent, he wouldn't have come off the bench for a wiaa d4 team and struggled against the 6"1 kids defending him. He has a famous last name, height, and length but he's not very good at basketball. Maybe he will develop into one, you can teach basketball but not the things Kostas has. But from what I've heard, I'd be surprised if he actually plays long enough at Dayton to get to that point.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2016, 02:47:31 AM »
Wait, I think I figured it out. Marquette Fan in NY is actually UDPride. This was all just a really long con set up to make Marquette fans look like terrible people to the Kostas camp so Dayton could get him all to themselves. Damn you UDPride.

This may be the most logical thing posted on Scoop since February 21, 2015.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2016, 07:04:08 AM »
The bad thing for Kostas is that Archie will be gone in the next year or two.  He's gets mentioned for a lot of coaching vacancies, his brother Sean is at Arizona and Archie will be in a major conference soon.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2016, 08:27:33 AM »

1.  AAU coaches hype their players all the time.

2.  Coaches look at bloodlines, but they don't let that overwhelm good basketball judgement like fan boards do.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2016, 09:03:35 AM »

Florida - false.
Travel team coaches talking up a player publicly - the norm.
Zaire - "in all likelihood"?
Bloodlines - do you understand how many kids of athletes there are. You hear a lot about 'oh he's so and so's son' when they are very good, but most aren't. And, those that are good, many are good in a different way (i.e., have different games/styles)... physical attributes can be seen and measured. Mental aspects can be evaluated. Not sure "bloodlines" does anything more for you. Hey, Ellwood Ellenson is a senior who could come over and play immediately.. and plays a position of need, power forward. Rebounder, defender. Just what the doctor ordered. AND, his brother just got drafted in the first round of the NBA draft. You in????
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2016, 09:09:43 AM »
Bloodlines.

Jeffrey and Marcus Jordan.

Need I say more?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2016, 10:37:56 AM »

It could be, if he turns out to be a medicore at best high schooler missing core HS classes with no solid offers through both the fall and spring signing periods who we offer simply because of his last name.

That won't be the case though, will it?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2016, 02:15:22 PM »

absolutely!  it's always good however,  that someone else see's the same thing.  are any of my beliefs based on facts?  nope.  just a hunch.  i see only upside.  no one is going to change my mind except kostas himself.  hope he hooks on with someone and gets a chance to grow
don't...don't don't don't don't

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2016, 10:24:21 PM »
Some of the sentiment on the Dayton Board. They are obviously very excited about Kostas......

General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,275 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sabo2  View Post
I don't care what position he plays, I saw a player with NBA potential. He can move, dribble and finish. If he has heart and desire, he can be a special player. We usually don't get these kinds of players; tip of hat to coaching staff.
agreed to the staff i say

WE ARE NOT WORTHY, WE ARE NOT WORTHY.

I looked for a bowing icon but couldn't find it

I should add that I have always felt that the game atmosphere was UD's biggest selling point,guess I was wrong.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2016, 10:33:52 PM »
Some of the sentiment on the Dayton Board. They are obviously very excited about Kostas......

General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,275 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sabo2  View Post
I don't care what position he plays, I saw a player with NBA potential. He can move, dribble and finish. If he has heart and desire, he can be a special player. We usually don't get these kinds of players; tip of hat to coaching staff.
agreed to the staff i say

WE ARE NOT WORTHY, WE ARE NOT WORTHY.

I looked for a bowing icon but couldn't find it

I should add that I have always felt that the game atmosphere was UD's biggest selling point,guess I was wrong.

Care to share what Fordham fans are saying about their 3rd best recruit as well or...?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2016, 10:45:46 PM »
Care to share what Fordham fans are saying about their 3rd best recruit as well or...?
Fordham did not recruit Kostas. Dayton did. Dayton is celebrating. I believe this will go down as one of the big missed opportunities of the Wojo era.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:41:14 AM by Marquette Fan In NY »
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2016, 11:49:49 PM »
Fordham did recruit Kostas. Dayton did. Dayton is celebrating. I believe this will go down as one of the big missed opportunities of the Wojo era.

Why do you think Kostas came off the bench at a D4 WIAA high school? Coaches kid ahead of him? Mind games? Just trying to make it fair for the other team? I personally think he's not very good at basketball. What's your take?
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2016, 06:22:03 AM »
A lot of virtual ink on a kid we'll probably never play against.  I was one who had some interest but yesterday's news now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2016, 06:39:56 AM »
If Kostas played in any other state, no one would care. Our staff had more of a chance to see him than most schools and we weren't interested. Whether it's ability, worry about academic standing, or how he fits, they know what they want and the lack of any interest or offer clearly shows he's not it. Time to move on.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback