[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Grad Transfer PFs or Cs Left  (Read 24265 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Grad Transfer PFs or Cs Left
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2016, 09:56:20 PM »

One call, that's all, ai na?
Maybe a couple.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2016, 08:20:02 AM »
Ted Kapita, a'mminnnnna?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2016, 09:14:26 AM »
Ted Kapita, a'mminnnnna?

Call me crazy, but he almost has to be committing to NC State, right?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2016, 08:22:03 AM »
Ted Kapita, a'mminnnnna?

Any chance we could land him?

He wants to go pro and doesn't want to wait (which he will have to at NC State). At this point, how many top programs have such a need and can offer such guaranteed playing time.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2016, 06:56:07 PM »
Chad cancelled his Bama visit.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 01:37:06 PM »
Ted Kapita, a'mminnnnna?

That would be a dream come true at this point.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 08:42:44 PM »
That would be a dream come true at this point.

I'm not so sure. He failed to qualify academically at Arkansas last year. Hard to know why he decommitted from SMU, but they may have cooled on him to avoid the risk:

http://www.smudailycampus.com/sports/smu-is-better-off-without-ted-kapita
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2016, 08:47:07 PM »
I'm not so sure. He failed to qualify academically at Arkansas last year. Hard to know why he decommitted from SMU, but they may have cooled on him to avoid the risk:

http://www.smudailycampus.com/sports/smu-is-better-off-without-ted-kapita
This article brings up APR as an issue. Just as an aside, did Henry dropping out of school spring semester hurt our APR?
                       ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 08:52:44 PM »
This article brings up APR as an issue. Just as an aside, did Henry dropping out of school spring semester hurt our APR?

I can't remember how that works. But if players leaving early does hurt your APR, I don't know how Kentucky can possibly qualify.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 06:46:20 AM »

I'm not sure the answer, but it wouldn't be because he left school early. As long as he finished his spring classload, it wouldn't hurt our APR. If he never bothered finishing the spring semester, then yes, it would hurt our APR. That said, by all accounts everyone else has been doing fine academically, so I wouldn't be worried about our APR just because of Henry.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 08:51:02 AM »
Tyrek coger decommited from ole' miss.

http://247sports.com/Player/Tyrek-Coger-14034

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 08:59:12 AM »

If "decommitted" you mean "wouldn't be allowed to play at Ole Miss due to SEC rules," you are correct.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 09:03:06 AM »

Cut his list to Cincinnati, Rutgers, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Charlotte, the coach said.

He would have fit in nicely.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2016, 09:05:44 AM »
Cut his list to Cincinnati, Rutgers, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Charlotte, the coach said.

He would have fit in nicely.

How?

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 09:14:08 AM »

How?

We are undersized.

He is big.

I've read about no "issues" regarding his character.

And Ole Miss, Missouri, USC, and NC State, wanted his services.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2016, 09:18:09 AM »
We are undersized.

He is big.

I've read about no "issues" regarding his character.

And Ole Miss, Missouri, USC, and NC State, wanted his services.

So just because he is tall.  No idea if his game fits what Wojo wants.  No idea if his academics are a problem.

To say he would have "fit in nicely" without that additional information doesn't make a lot of sense.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2016, 09:31:16 AM »

So just because he is tall.  No idea if his game fits what Wojo wants.  No idea if his academics are a problem.

To say he would have "fit in nicely" without that additional information doesn't make a lot of sense.

Sulton,

I've always found you to be very knowledgable and I enjoy your insights to the game and program. This is why I really don't understand your confusion here.

Our front line lacks height, size and experience.

He has all three.

If you couple these facts with the knowledge that other major programs wanted him and there are no apparent issues with his character, I don't think it's a stretch to say that he would have fit in nicely on this team.

I wasn't looking to be controversial or cast aspersions on any Wojo strategy.

I was just saying this team can use an experienced big.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2016, 09:38:52 AM »
Sulton,

I've always found you to be very knowledgable and I enjoy your insights to the game and program. This is why I really don't understand your confusion here.

Our front line lacks height, size and experience.

He has all three.

If you couple these facts with the knowledge that other major programs wanted him and there are no apparent issues with his character, I don't think it's a stretch to say that he would have fit in nicely on this team.

I wasn't looking to be controversial or cast aspersions on any Wojo strategy.

I was just saying this team can use an experienced big.

I'm not confused.  I just don't think anyone can declare that he would have "fit in nicely" simply by looking at his height, his experience and who else is (supposedly) recruiting him. 

He may have fit in.  He may be worth a look.  Maybe Wojo & Co. looked and said "eh, no thanks."  Or maybe they reached out and were rebuffed. 

I'm just growing frustrated with the "We need height!  Go get him!" comments whenever someone with any sort of height is available.  Coaches don't build rosters that way. 

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2016, 10:01:24 AM »

I'm not confused.  I just don't think anyone can declare that he would have "fit in nicely" simply by looking at his height, his experience and who else is (supposedly) recruiting him. 

He may have fit in.  He may be worth a look.  Maybe Wojo & Co. looked and said "eh, no thanks."  Or maybe they reached out and were rebuffed. 

I'm just growing frustrated with the "We need height!  Go get him!" comments whenever someone with any sort of height is available.  Coaches don't build rosters that way.

But I never said it was just about height. And I think it's not that controversial to believe that someone like this player, with our current roster, would be a good fit.

If TC, Howard, Wilson and Rowsey all transferred, I probably would say we need a PG this year.

And if I heard of a "no issues" 6 footer JC PG becoming available, who originally verbaled to Arkansas, and also had offers from Oregon, Washington and UCal, I probably would say he would be a good fit.

And that wouldn't mean I'm infatuated with six foot point guards.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2016, 10:03:48 AM »
I'm not sure the answer, but it wouldn't be because he left school early. As long as he finished his spring classload, it wouldn't hurt our APR. If he never bothered finishing the spring semester, then yes, it would hurt our APR. That said, by all accounts everyone else has been doing fine academically, so I wouldn't be worried about our APR just because of Henry.

1 point for finishing the semester in good academic standing, 1 point for returning.  Because he's leaving for a professional career, the NCAA will allow Marquette to waive the lost point for returning as long as he's in good academic standing, turning Henry's second semester from 1 point out of 2 possible to 1 out of 1.

From May 2014:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/student-athletes-continue-achieve-academically

The NCAA provides APR adjustments for student-athletes who transfer to another four-year school after earning a 2.6 grade-point average and those who leave in good academic standing for professional athletics careers.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2016, 10:11:05 AM »
1 point for finishing the semester in good academic standing, 1 point for returning.  Because he's leaving for a professional career, the NCAA will allow Marquette to waive the lost point for returning as long as he's in good academic standing, turning Henry's second semester from 1 point out of 2 possible to 1 out of 1.

From May 2014:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/student-athletes-continue-achieve-academically

interesting, thanks!

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2016, 10:21:43 AM »

A little silly for you to get frustrated about people talking about adding a PF/C in an "Available PF/C" thread. 

This team obviously needs another big.  crap, just a warm body to go in and eat up 5 fouls would be helpful.  This team also has an empty scholarship.  I think its only natural for fans to want any legitimate PF or C that becomes available at this point, as the pickings are beyond slim. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2016, 10:35:18 AM »

Not exactly true... and our APR isn't the prettiest (though not in the danger zone).

If Henry didn't complete his academic responsibilities, it would be a blow to our APR. [for illustrative purposes, if MU had 13 guys in scholarship & all were fine except Henry, our 2015-16 Single-year APR would drop from 1,000 to 962.

If he completed his academic responsibilities, he'd ultimately score a 3/3 for the year. If he was coming back they would be 4/4. So, it's dilutive (your APR loses a 1 in the numerator & denominator), even though still scored a "1,000"

Kentucky maintains a great APR bc they make kids "finish out" their classes.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2016, 10:44:40 AM »
A little silly for you to get frustrated about people talking about adding a PF/C in an "Available PF/C" thread.

Reading.  Is.  Fundamental.

I am not frustrated "about people talking about adding a PF / C."

I am frustrated about people assuming a player would be "a good fit" while only having limited information about said player.

Unlike you, I don't think "just a warm body to go in and eat up 5 fouls" would be helpful.  I would rather go small and force the other team to change up than just having some stiff in there who doesn't fit with what Wojo is trying to do. 

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2016, 11:02:48 AM »

Reading.  Is.  Fundamental.

I am not frustrated "about people talking about adding a PF / C."

I am frustrated about people assuming a player would be "a good fit" while only having limited information about said player.

Unlike you, I don't think "just a warm body to go in and eat up 5 fouls" would be helpful.  I would rather go small and force the other team to change up than just having some stiff in there who doesn't fit with what Wojo is trying to do.

Sulton,

You would rather "go small and force the other team to change up"?  In other words, a player who fits that style would be a good fit?

How could you say that, in light of the fact that you have no idea if that strategy......

your words coming up.....

"fits what Wojo wants." 

Ouch. I just used your own words to make you appear very hypocritical. I feel bad now.

Although I just completely destroyed you, I would like to buy you a cold beer next game.

Go Marquette