[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Grad Transfer PFs or Cs Left  (Read 24296 times)

moomoo

• Team Captain
Grad Transfer PFs or Cs Left
« on: June 16, 2016, 11:22:41 AM »
Would still like to see a serviceable power forward/center for next year's team.

This is what I was able to find, who is still left, and could possibly contribute:

Aaron Scales, 6-9, Cleveland State

Skylar Scrivano, 6-10, St Joseph’s

Scott Sill, 6-9, Delaware State

Justus Stanback, 6-8, IUPUI

Johnny Zuppardo, 6-8, Mississippi State

Justus Stanback may be a decent fit.  Seems like a respectful young man who is very serious about his career after basketball.  Good size, not afraid to get his hands dirty.  Plus, he lives about 3 hours south of Milwaukee.  Could fill in nicely on a team of shooters.

If anyone has more info on these recruits, or more names, would love to hear it.

Thanks.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
Re: Grad Transfer PFs or Cs Left
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 11:25:35 AM »
Is Wojo talking to Kostas anymore?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 11:27:49 AM »

We don't need any more guards.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 11:32:13 AM »
We don't need any more guards.
He is 6'9 but he is very thin.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 11:43:15 AM »

So what was your previous username?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:58:53 AM by jesmu84 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 11:45:31 AM »
Scales and Sill couldn't get playing time at Cleveland State and Delaware State, respectively, and both were terrible teams. No reason whatsoever to pursue either of them. Same goes for Scrivano, who has sat out the past three seasons (two due to transfer rules at Rider and St. Joe's, one due to injury) and before that only played 11 games at Columbia in two seasons, averaging 1.9 ppg/1.5 rpg. Stanback didn't make his mark at IUPUI either...not sure why he sat out this past season but he never played much his first two years there. Those four guys are pretty much useless to us. If you can't play at lower-level schools, why would we assume they can contribute here?

Zuppardo...well, maybe. I mean, I could see him playing meaningful minutes. He did play some for Mississippi State and while not a star, was a useful bench player that contributed double-digit minutes in the bulk of their conference games. But if we were looking at a transfer from the SEC, I have to imagine that we'd know that by now. And usually when a bench player leaves a high-major program, it's to contribute more at a lower level.

My guess is barring any surprising late name additions, our roster is pretty well set.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 12:13:17 PM »

That implies he once was.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 12:21:45 PM »
Thanks for input Brew.

I can't lie to you. I thought, in large part, that Stanback would be useful for the following reasons:

1). Big body
2). Better than the invisible man, who we have now

Would take Zuppa in a heartbeat, just for his cool, easily chantable name alone.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 12:50:52 PM »
Thanks for input Brew.

I can't lie to you. I thought, in large part, that Stanback would be useful for the following reasons:

1). Big body
2). Better than the invisible man, who we have now

Would take Zuppa in a heartbeat, just for his cool, easily chantable name alone.

It's somewhat amusing. For years, we struggled to get true big men and settled for either undersized power forwards like Hayward and Crowder or converted guys from other positions like Jamil or Davante. Last year was really the only true PF we have had, and while I do think Wojo will make a push for more bigs in 2017 (I expect at least two, more likely three actual "big" position players next year), this year will definitely be a bit of a shock.

I think this year could end up being somewhat reminiscent of the Lazar and the Midgets team, though it will be Luke and the Midgets. Luke is probably much better suited than Lazar to play the 5 (as well as 'Zar did under the circumstance) and I'd take Heldt as a backup over Mbao 1,000 times out of 1,000. But past that...we will be undersized. Time to just accept that.

We don't have rebounders, but we have a ton of guys that can shoot. If this team lives up to the reputation, guys like Rowsey, Howard, Reinhardt, Hauser, and returning players like Jajuan, Duane, Cohen, Cheatham, and Carter should be able to fill the basket.

I don't know how this team will finish, but when they are on, I think they will be a ridiculously fun team to watch. I think this is one of the highest basketball IQ teams we've had in awhile, with players like Cheatham, Jajuan, Howard, Reinhardt, and Rowsey being the type that can not only score but make the extra pass. We'll shoot and make a ton from outside. That said...when we're off, we'll probably have some nights where we look wretched, and if we're off against a physical team like Seton Hall, we could be in for some very long nights.

Either way, I'm optimistic, and I'm just trying to come around to the idea of routinely having four guys on the floor that can stroke the three. After a year of Henry, we'll look undersized, but if the guy in that position can stretch the defense and knock down threes at a 35% or better clip, is that really such a bad tradeoff? Probably better than a guy who barely merits a mid-major scholarship. And who knows? Maybe some mid-year transfer will pop up and fill the spot with someone that actually excites us.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 02:26:58 PM »
I think this is one of the highest basketball IQ teams we've had in awhile, with players like Cheatham, Jajuan, Howard, Reinhardt, and Rowsey being the type that can not only score but make the extra pass.

I know nothing about Reinhardt, Howard or Rowsey's basketball IQ. Cheatham's is solid and JJJ's improved greatly last year (the game seemed to finally slow down for him). Duane and Sandy? Questionable. Same with Luke (too many dumb fouls). A year under his belt should make Traci play smarter. Sacar, Matt and Sam? Who knows?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 11:07:17 PM »
I've kept up my list even though pickings have gotten extremely slim.

Charles Buggs: 6"9 220 lb PF from Minnesota
24.0 mpg, 5.9 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.5 bpg, .462 FG%, . 319 3P%

Mo Jeffers 6"8 215 lb PF from Delaware
22.8 mpg, 5.2 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 0.5 apg, 0.2 spg, 1.1 bpg, .402 FG%, .000 3P%

Kellen McCormick 6"7 200 lb PF from Western Michigan
14.8 mpg, 6.0 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.2 spg, 0.0 bpg, .478 FG%, .458 3P%

Chad Rykhoek 6"11 230 lb C from Baylor
Was ranked in the top 150 coming out of high school in 2012. Has never played a minute of college basketball due to multiple injuries. Supposedly is cleared to play and looking for a new home.

No one else is worthy of an offer IMHO and these four wouldn't be much more than big bodies. Like I said, slim pickings.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 08:18:28 AM »

Was ranked in the top 150 coming out of high school in 2012. Has never played a minute of college basketball due to multiple injuries. Supposedly is cleared to play and looking for a new home.

No one else is worthy of an offer IMHO and these four wouldn't be much more than big bodies. Like I said, slim pickings.

Grazie, Tamu

If we can get Mo Jeffers, mo better.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 08:59:42 AM »

This Chad guy with his size and no playing history in CBB other than his injuries and his HS ranking is intriguing.

Sure sounds like a rent a player for 16-17 to me.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 09:10:07 AM »
This Chad guy with his size and no playing history in CBB other than his injuries and his HS ranking is intriguing.

Sure sounds like a rent a player for 16-17 to me.

He would also have the world's best case for a sixth year of eligibility so you might get two years out of him. I have no idea what his condition is like after all that time out of the game. He's been available for awhile and no one has picked him so he might be pretty far behind.
TAMU

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 09:13:23 AM »
He would also have the world's best case for a sixth year of eligibility so you might get two years out of him. I have no idea what his condition is like after all that time out of the game. He's been available for awhile and no one has picked him so he might be pretty far behind.
Thanks for you're input, and the door is still open.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 09:46:24 AM »
Are we talking to Chad, seems like an excellent prospect. I read he is visiting Georgie Tech and Clemson.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 10:21:59 AM »
Are we talking to Chad, seems like an excellent prospect. I read he is visiting Georgie Tech and Clemson.

Not that I've heard. If he's ready to play seems like a smart move. Gives us post depth this year and a center next year.
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 10:50:17 AM »
Are we talking to Chad, seems like an excellent prospect.

Of course not, MU is holding that spot for Charles Matthews...  or is it Kostas?  I forget.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 01:59:20 PM »
Of course not, MU is holding that spot for Charles Matthews...  or is it Kostas?  I forget.
First Come First Serve as far as I am concerned.
            ---Al McGuire

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2016, 02:17:57 PM »
Has MU gave Charles Matthews a call? He wouldn't be able to play this year but that would be a great pick up if we would get him.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 02:33:24 PM »
Has MU gave Charles Matthews a call? He wouldn't be able to play this year but that would be a great pick up if we would get him.

Pretty sure the answer to your question is no.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 03:06:28 PM »
We need to make that call.
            ---Al McGuire

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 03:13:55 PM »
Honestly, barring an unforeseen late transfer, any guy we get is going to serve the sole purpose of eating up fouls. Which is going to take away from Matt Heldt's role of eating up fouls

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 07:30:24 PM »
We need to make that call.

One call, that's all, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 08:35:09 PM »
Another O'tule, hey?
Goal is National Championship

feedback