[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Non Conference Schedule Releases  (Read 7862 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Big East Non Conference Schedule Releases
« on: June 11, 2016, 07:36:39 PM »
So far three Big East teams have released their full non conference schedules. I will keep adding as more are released. Butler is the latest.

Xavier has a a lot of strong opponents. One interesting quirk is depending on how things go in the Puerto Rico tournament they may be playing Northern Iowa twice.

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2016/6/9/11894194/xavier-releases-2016-17-nonconference-schedule

Providence has a balanced non conference schedule with intelligently thought out cupcakes.

http://www.friars.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/053116aaa.html

Butler has a challenging non conference schedule again. 

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2016/6/16/11954670/butler-bulldogs-basketball-nonconference-schedule-2016-2017-northwestern-indiana-utah

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 10:14:39 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Xavier and Providence Releases Their Non Conference Schedule
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 12:13:07 PM »
Wow. Xavier ain't messing around. That's crazy
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GoldenDieners32

• All American
Re: Xavier and Providence Released Their Non Conference Schedule
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 02:35:53 PM »
I thought Providence's non conference schedule was pretty weak

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 09:11:25 AM »

Don't be so mean to Boston College.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Xavier and Providence Releases Their Non Conference Schedule
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 09:50:31 AM »
Wow. Xavier ain't messing around. That's crazy

I admire the chutzpah. Xavier's scheduler has a pair. Refreshing.

Death on call

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 11:59:50 PM »

I must be missing something. @Ohio State, Memphis then either Iowa or UVA, Rhody, who will probably be the preseason A10 pick, a pretty dangerous Wagner squad, a decent UMass team. Not killer but solid.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 07:38:31 AM »
So far two Big East teams have released their full non conference schedules.

Xavier has a a lot of strong opponents. One interesting quirk is depending on how things go in the Puerto Rico tournament they may be playing Northern Iowa twice.

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2016/6/9/11894194/xavier-releases-2016-17-nonconference-schedule

Providence has a balanced non conference schedule with intelligently thought out cupcakes.

wow!  that really puts the pressure on.  a few of those mid-majors ain't "push-overs either.  buffalo, north dakota state.  and then the others...there has been so much parity within college b-ball.  early in the season, these teams are going for the "gold" and xavier would be a nice resume enhancer at season's end.  this could be sink or swim.  one has to hand it to xavier for the cahones, but kinda reminds me of why MU doesn't schedule UWM or UWGB as i think they should.  if we have or they are in our near future-my apologies for the oversite, but i haven't checked recently.  just going on previous conversations
don't...don't don't don't don't

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 08:35:10 AM »
I must be missing something. @Ohio State, Memphis then either Iowa or UVA, Rhody, who will probably be the preseason A10 pick, a pretty dangerous Wagner squad, a decent UMass team. Not killer but solid.

Memphis is a dumpster fire. Iowa will have a really down year. Wagner is good for a low major. Rhody and UMass are very solid dangerous non con opponents. UVA is obviously strong and will wipe the floor with them assuming they get past Memphis.

It's a fine non con (much better than ours last year) but nothing too exciting
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 09:57:36 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Big East Non Conference Schedule Releases
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 10:15:47 PM »
So far three Big East teams have released their full non conference schedules. I will keep adding as more are released. 

Butler has a challenging non conference schedule again. 

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2016/6/16/11954670/butler-bulldogs-basketball-nonconference-schedule-2016-2017-northwestern-indiana-utah
Butler is the latest added above.
            ---Al McGuire

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 06:10:59 AM »
Butler is the latest added above.

We really need to get a couple quality home and homes going. They have Cincy and Utah, plus a guaranteed game against IU or Purdue every year. Wish we had enough quality D1 teams in WI to have an arrangement like Butler, ND, IU, and Purdue have.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 08:04:24 AM »

We really need to get a couple quality home and homes going. They have Cincy and Utah, plus a guaranteed game against IU or Purdue every year. Wish we had enough quality D1 teams in WI to have an arrangement like Butler, ND, IU, and Purdue have.

.....we do. We play Wisconsin every year. It still equals one quality in state non con a year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 07:57:56 PM »
Depaul released their non conference schedule

http://www.depaulbluedemons.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/063016aac.html

I think they are doing a good thing but scheduling weaker teams. They need to get a decent optic in terms of win losses as they move closer to their new arena.
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 09:24:52 PM »
Depaul released their non conference schedule

http://www.depaulbluedemons.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/063016aac.html

I think they are doing a good thing but scheduling weaker teams. They need to get a decent optic in terms of win losses as they move closer to their new arena.

DePaul put together a schedule that is similar to ours last year. My hope, and the hope of the league should be, that DePaul does well against that schedule. They should really be hoping to win 9-10 games. Do that, get 5-7 in conference and they'll be around .500. That means they won't be a huge RPI drain on the rest of the league. Now granted, the opponent's opponents factor won't help much, but gotta walk before you can run.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 01:52:35 PM »
Creighton released their schedule today:

http://www.gocreighton.com/news/2016/7/6/-m-basketball-mens-basketball-announces-non-conference-schedule.aspx

I love this schedule construction. There are basically four tiers of games for them:

Tier 1 -- Gimmes: UMKC, Loyola (MD), and Longwood won't scare anyone, but you need some certain wins and games just to establish what you want to do. I also like that there's no MEAC or SWAC teams here.

Tier 2 -- Challenging Buys: Buffalo and Akron are both very, very good mid-majors. These will be tough games and both teams will likely win 20+. Oral Roberts is another team that's usually pretty solid and plays in a decent league.

Tier 3 -- Paradise Jam: This should give three decent opponents. Washington State is at least a high-major, both Montana/NC State are good teams but should be beatable, and looking at the field I think the Jays will be the favorite. They should get three pretty good games but should also have a good chance to win all three.

Tier 4 -- High-Majors: Partially luck of the draw, but they get Wisconsin early and at home. They go on the road for Nebraska and Arizona State. Even if they lose, high-major road losses won't hurt much, but I have to think Creighton will have a decent chance to win both, which would really help them.

All in all, a well-constructed schedule. I really hope we end up with something similar.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 02:11:46 PM »

http://www.gocreighton.com/news/2016/7/6/-m-basketball-mens-basketball-announces-non-conference-schedule.aspx

I love this schedule construction. There are basically four tiers of games for them:

Tier 1 -- Gimmes: UMKC, Loyola (MD), and Longwood won't scare anyone, but you need some certain wins and games just to establish what you want to do. I also like that there's no MEAC or SWAC teams here.

Tier 2 -- Challenging Buys: Buffalo and Akron are both very, very good mid-majors. These will be tough games and both teams will likely win 20+. Oral Roberts is another team that's usually pretty solid and plays in a decent league.

Tier 3 -- Paradise Jam: This should give three decent opponents. Washington State is at least a high-major, both Montana/NC State are good teams but should be beatable, and looking at the field I think the Jays will be the favorite. They should get three pretty good games but should also have a good chance to win all three.

Tier 4 -- High-Majors: Partially luck of the draw, but they get Wisconsin early and at home. They go on the road for Nebraska and Arizona State. Even if they lose, high-major road losses won't hurt much, but I have to think Creighton will have a decent chance to win both, which would really help them.

All in all, a well-constructed schedule. I really hope we end up with something similar.
Creighton has been doing a very good job developing all aspects of their program. Smart scheduling helps.
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 04:07:39 PM »

Agree with everything you say, brew. Nice sked for Creighton.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 05:16:24 PM »
Agree with everything you say, brew. Nice sked for Creighton.

They also have a Stetson-style non-con game in January, except it's against a D2 team.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 05:50:07 PM »
They also have a Stetson-style non-con game in January, except it's against a D2 team.

Which is much better than a Stetson level team because it has zero impact on RPI.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 06:03:17 PM »
Which is much better than a Stetson level team because it has zero impact on RPI.
The other benefit is they will still draw a big crowd.
            ---Al McGuire

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 06:10:40 PM »
I'm glad that we'll have a bit more teeth in the high major category than what Creighton has. We know we have Georgia (home), Vandy (Neutral), UW (home), and some pretty decent teams in the 2k classic, so that's a good start. Not sure how good SMU is expected to be this year, but let's hope for a less nightmare-inducing showing than the last time we played Vandy.

That's the making of a decent (though not grueling by any stretch of the imagination) non-con schedule. The key is not to ruin it by filling it with 300 RPI fluff.  Of what we know, Howard is the only potential opponent that fits that bill, and it's contingent on the 2k bracket.

So far so good.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 07:14:20 PM »

Wish we would do this/have done this instead of bringing in Stetson and Grambling-level teams.  Just that one game against Team #350 can cause a team to finish 20 places lower in the final RPI and SOS rankings.  Well worth trading one win that counts for one that doesn't.  Attendance will be the same either way.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 09:17:01 PM »
I'm glad that we'll have a bit more teeth in the high major category than what Creighton has. We know we have Georgia (home), Vandy (Neutral), UW (home), and some pretty decent teams in the 2k classic, so that's a good start. Not sure how good SMU is expected to be this year, but let's hope for a less nightmare-inducing showing than the last time we played Vandy.

That's the making of a decent (though not grueling by any stretch of the imagination) non-con schedule. The key is not to ruin it by filling it with 300 RPI fluff.  Of what we know, Howard is the only potential opponent that fits that bill, and it's contingent on the 2k bracket.

So far so good.

Georgia is away. I'd say ours is pretty grueling. 3-2 would be a huge success, even 2-3 wouldn't be that bad. UW and Georgia will be very tough, and 1-1 in NYC would be fine.

Of course, if we lose the opener...

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 10:34:19 PM »
Georgia is away. I'd say ours is pretty grueling. 3-2 would be a huge success, even 2-3 wouldn't be that bad. UW and Georgia will be very tough, and 1-1 in NYC would be fine.

Of course, if we lose the opener...

Which we've made a habit of doing recently...

Actually only 2 of the past 3. Feels like at least 3