[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Pizza thread  (Read 24863 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: Pizza thread
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2016, 05:53:38 PM »
Pizza Man is the best in Milwaukee

Barnaby's used to be the best but closed all stores in the city. Still have some open in Illinois.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2016, 10:58:31 AM »
Pizza Man is the best in Milwaukee

Barnaby's used to be the best but closed all stores in the city. Still have some open in Illinois.

Your post surprised me.  I never went to a Barnaby's in Wisconsin - maybe they were great - but, without a doubt Barnaby's in Schaumburg, Illinois is the worst pizza I've ever had in a restaurant.

I just doubled checked on the internet and saw that Barnaby's in Schaumburg is now closed.  The people seem to be voting Barnaby's out.  There are still four in Chicago's north/northwest suburbs, though.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:00:38 AM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2016, 11:20:05 AM »
Your post surprised me.  I never went to a Barnaby's in Wisconsin - maybe they were great - but, without a doubt Barnaby's in Schaumburg, Illinois is the worst pizza I've ever had in a restaurant.

I just doubled checked on the internet and saw that Barnaby's in Schaumburg is now closed.  The people seem to be voting Barnaby's out.  There are still four in Chicago's north/northwest suburbs, though.

Arlington Heights Barnaby's was fantastic, (I have no idea if they're still open).

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2016, 11:21:02 AM »
without a doubt <insert restaurant here> in Schaumburg, Illinois is the worst <insert cuisine here> I've ever had in a restaurant.

FIFY.

The Des Plaines Barnaby's is still pretty good.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2016, 03:40:34 PM »
Arlington Heights Barnaby's was fantastic, (I have no idea if they're still open).

I've never been, but it's still there - one of four left in existence - the others are in Des Plaines, Northbrook and the original one in Niles.  Founded as a chain in the sixties, the founder sold them off one by one in the seventies/eighties.  Different owners must have resulted in differing quality of food leading some to close, others to have their admirers.  I was quite fond of the Northbrook one when I was in high school in the seventies.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2016, 04:02:41 PM »
Barnaby's still has the place on Rand Road in Arlington Heights.  I haven't been there in ages but I do recall it was pretty good very similar in menu and quality to another local chain known as Jake's.  We frequented the one in Palatine in the late 70's when they had $1 pitcher of beer nights.  Until the last time when we found cockroach remnants embedded in the cheese.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2016, 04:49:47 PM »
I've never been, but it's still there - one of four left in existence - the others are in Des Plaines, Northbrook and the original one in Niles.  Founded as a chain in the sixties, the founder sold them off one by one in the seventies/eighties.  Different owners must have resulted in differing quality of food leading some to close, others to have their admirers.  I was quite fond of the Northbrook one when I was in high school in the seventies.

Yep Northbrook, was good.  But I  spend most of the time at the Villa Park ( Off Roosevelt RD at Summit) one.  When you joined their club, pitchers were at a great reduce price and you received a big dark brown ceramic Barnaby's Mug.  Great after Softball games.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2016, 05:59:22 PM »
There is a Barnabys n Indiana (Mishawaka) that is incredibly busy.  Been there for years. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2016, 06:14:09 PM »
There is a Barnabys n Indiana (Mishawaka) that is incredibly busy.  Been there for years.

Looks like there's also one in South Bend.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2016, 06:15:16 PM »
Yep Northbrook, was good.  But I  spend most of the time at the Villa Park ( Off Roosevelt RD at Summit) one.  When you joined their club, pitchers were at a great reduce price and you received a big dark brown ceramic Barnaby's Mug.  Great after Softball games.

Is the Villa Park One still open?  I can't find it on the web or Google maps.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2016, 07:00:28 PM »

No.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2016, 07:07:27 PM »

Closed a long time ago, late Sixties might have been one of the early ones..  The building is probably gone.  great times.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2016, 07:48:30 PM »
The first problem with a barnabys is the name. Who in the gosh darn heck would associate pizza with something named barnabys?  Would you go to a place for lox n bagels named gunthers?  If you're gonna serve pizza, ya gotta have the name Marios or something, hein'er hey?
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2016, 11:13:00 PM »
Barnabys has that distinctive crust.  They dust the pan in corn meal.  Good toppings, decent suace, and a distinct crust. 

It's not a world beater pizza, buts it's the pizza some grew up on, and it's pretty darned good and consistent.  If you are are pizza snob, don't bother.  If you like neighborhood pizza, it's for you. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2016, 11:35:50 PM »
Looks like there's also one in South Bend.

Evidently that one has the best pizza in the world according to my in laws.  Been there once... Good, not great.  Dime a dozen type joint.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2016, 12:28:36 AM »
The first problem with a barnabys is the name. Who in the gosh darn heck would associate pizza with something named barnabys?  Would you go to a place for lox n bagels named gunthers?  If you're gonna serve pizza, ya gotta have the name Marios or something, hein'er hey?
Yes, I always thought the name "Barnaby's" didn't evoke images of great 'za. But the atmosphere was decent, and you could get a frosty mug and a great burger there as well. "Kaiser's Pizza" in Gurnee and Kenosha is another example of an oddly named pizza joint, but the product is solid.

Since we are on odd names for pizza places, the strangest has to be QUONSET Pizza in the hometown of Warrior legend Jerome Whitehead, Waukegan, IL. There is an explanation, though. The place is a converted ARMY storage hut, aka "Quonset" hut. I think the original owner was an Army Reservist, and he bid on the original building. A couple renovations later, it is much less recognizable as a former Army munitions storage unit, but still has the arched roof. The pizza was legendary at one time. It recently changed ownership, but still rates highly as some of the best thin crust pizza in Chicagoland.   
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2016, 12:31:17 AM »
Pretty sure the best pizza is my grilled pizza made with a fresh Naan bread crust.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2016, 01:57:03 AM »
Yes, I always thought the name "Barnaby's" didn't evoke images of great 'za. But the atmosphere was decent, and you could get a frosty mug and a great burger there as well. "Kaiser's Pizza" in Gurnee and Kenosha is another example of an oddly named pizza joint, but the product is solid.

Since we are on odd names for pizza places, the strangest has to be QUONSET Pizza in the hometown of Warrior legend Jerome Whitehead, Waukegan, IL. There is an explanation, though. The place is a converted ARMY storage hut, aka "Quonset" hut. I think the original owner was an Army Reservist, and he bid on the original building. A couple renovations later, it is much less recognizable as a former Army munitions storage unit, but still has the arched roof. The pizza was legendary at one time. It recently changed ownership, but still rates highly as some of the best thin crust pizza in Chicagoland.

As a kid growing up, my parents always took the family out to eat anywhere we wanted on our birthdays.  The old duck inn, Anthony's steak house, the old  sterlingworth on lauderdale lake, etc.  ya know where 4 out the five of us would pick?  Shakeys pizza!!  You could watch the dudes making your stuff behind a glass window, best chicken and mojos and pizza in the world.  I think my parents loved it b/c the bill was considerably less than the others too. The organ piper pizza place was popular too, but it was a distant #2 to our shakeys

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2016, 07:34:58 AM »
As a kid growing up, my parents always took the family out to eat anywhere we wanted on our birthdays.  The old duck inn, Anthony's steak house, the old  sterlingworth on lauderdale lake, etc.  ya know where 4 out the five of us would pick?  Shakeys pizza!!  You could watch the dudes making your stuff behind a glass window, best chicken and mojos and pizza in the world.  I think my parents loved it b/c the bill was considerably less than the others too. The organ piper pizza place was popular too, but it was a distant #2 to our shakeys

Who goes to lauderdale lake and doesn't go to the landing?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2016, 08:41:00 AM »
Pretty sure the best pizza is my grilled pizza made with a fresh Naan bread crust.

Mamacita.... that's what I forgot to get at Costco yesterday.  Naan, Dammit.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2016, 04:18:40 PM »
Who goes to lauderdale lake and doesn't go to the landing?

That must be a newer place.  The sterlingworth was infamous for its Friday fish fries with its corn fritters and syrup.  It burned down like twice.  Not sure if they ever rebuilt after 2nd one. The cook(s) went to evergreen golf course and brought with them the the fish fry and fritters and if you didn't t get there early, you went hungry...bowbowbow

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2016, 09:08:12 AM »
Had pizza at Caserta in Providence again last night. Place never disappoints. It's also just a couple of blocks away from the Dunkin Donuts Center if you are ever in town for a marquette game. And federal hill is a great neighborhood in general to check out with a bunch of great Italian restaurant options

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2016, 09:14:53 AM »
That must be a newer place.  The sterlingworth was infamous for its Friday fish fries with its corn fritters and syrup.  It burned down like twice.  Not sure if they ever rebuilt after 2nd one. The cook(s) went to evergreen golf course and brought with them the the fish fry and fritters and if you didn't t get there early, you went hungry...bowbowbow
Maigh Eo for Sam

romey

• All American
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2016, 08:22:27 PM »
Angelo' s was terrible, but the only place there. Then came Ski's deep dish (poor man's Chi style).  NY Joe's went in next to Suburpia, and was a significant step up.  Wales on Wells didn't have pizza, but did a solid burger. My favorite burger was the Gym on a hungover Saturday.
Thank you.  I've been reading this thread from the top and was trying to figure out the new York style pizza by the slice - NY Joe's is it!  Was pretty good as I recall, but then again......broke college student.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2016, 08:32:34 PM »
Definitely not new, my dads family had one of the first cabins up there in the early 70s and he tells stories of going there. It was called kileys cove till the mid 80s. Played at evergreen a couple weeks ago, love that place.

They do a nice job.  Nice operation from top to bottom. 

feedback