Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pizza thread  (Read 25160 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Pizza thread
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 09:37:07 PM »
Joe's Fox Hut in Fondy.

Then I'd say Carbone's is in the running. 

How about one you can only get in a grocery store or gas station.

Just trying to class this up.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2016, 09:50:04 PM »
Original Tombstones were pretty good as far as my college budget was concerned. 

If you woke up too late for breakfast at Cobeen on a Sunday, a peperoni Tombstone had some magical recoperative properties. 

Yo Newsie.
Yo Chili my man!
Goal is National Championship

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2016, 10:12:50 PM »
Now a days you have the Domino's on 8th and Wisconsin, Papa Johns and the $5 large one topping pizzas on Tuesdays right next to Murphys and Sal's under the 2040s.

By far the biggest game changer to drunk food on campus is when BroYo decided to open late on weekends.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2016, 11:20:22 PM »
Then I'd say Carbone's is in the running. 

Just trying to class this up.

I'm pretty sure their frozen pizza isn't the same stuff they serve at the restaurant.  But that aside, I'm particularly fond of Bernatello's Brew Pub/Lotzza Motzza lineup.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2016, 06:12:14 AM »
I don't recall pizza at Wales on Wells.  But it is where I learned to love stuffed 'shrooms.  Mmmm.

I seem to recall that in the 83 or 84 timeframe, Wales opened up a slice place, I think next door.  It was only there for a bit before I left, and did not get much traffic.  The food at the regular Wales was much better.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2016, 07:45:57 AM »
Was that the place right by suburpia? Use to go there after doing "school work' for munchies late night.

Guliano's was directly across the street from Real Chili.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2016, 09:00:57 AM »

I'd put in a vote for Home Run Inn. Definitely best crust, comes out nice and crispy.

One that I used to love but no longer exists was the Palermo's Ultra Thin Greek Style pizza. It was fairly small, and with the thin crust I could eat the whole thing easily in one sitting, but it was a fantastic frozen pizza. The Kalamata Olives came out just right (amazing for frozen) and put it over the top. Unfortunately, it was discontinued a few years back.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2016, 10:06:48 AM »

HR Inn the best in Florida by far.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2016, 10:15:18 AM »
I'd put in a vote for Home Run Inn. Definitely best crust, comes out nice and crispy.

One that I used to love but no longer exists was the Palermo's Ultra Thin Greek Style pizza. It was fairly small, and with the thin crust I could eat the whole thing easily in one sitting, but it was a fantastic frozen pizza. The Kalamata Olives came out just right (amazing for frozen) and put it over the top. Unfortunately, it was discontinued a few years back.

Home Run Inn on the grill is fricking amazing. Try it.

I like Red Baron, before that Meijer brand was ridiculously good for $2, but they changed their formula. Such idiots.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2016, 10:32:34 AM »
Life is too short for cheap beer or frozen pizza.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2016, 11:07:22 AM »
Life is too short for cheap beer or frozen pizza.

Not when you're a broke college student.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2016, 12:38:10 PM »

How HRI frozen pizza came to be:

Back in the olden days the restaurant (on 31st, the only one at the time), was closed on Mondays. Nick Perrino, the owner, knew his employees needed the money, so he would let them come in and make pizzas to be frozen. We used to stock up on those before they would close up for a week (or was it 2?) for summer vacation.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2016, 12:54:09 PM »
How HRI frozen pizza came to be:

Back in the olden days the restaurant (on 31st, the only one at the time), was closed on Mondays. Nick Perrino, the owner, knew his employees needed the money, so he would let them come in and make pizzas to be frozen. We used to stock up on those before they would close up for a week (or was it 2?) for summer vacation.

Interesting.  Palos Heights always hosts a ton of club volleyball tournaments each season so we were always staying in hotels around there when I was playing/coaching.  There was a HRI restaurant near there that we tried one time and enjoyed enough that when we saw their frozen pizza in the store we gave it a shot.  Definitely the best frozen pizza I've had.  I believe, but am not sure, that Gino's and HRI teamed up to make a deep dish frozen pizza?  I've had a deep dish frozen that is good given that it's frozen pizza, but can't remember what brand it was.

I was down visiting my former MU roommate at his place in Chicago last summer and he had some friends from Chicago over.  All of a sudden he asks me and the 2 other Milwaukee friends with me, "Have any of you ever heard of Home Run Inn Pizza?"  I said yeah and he asked what I thought of it.  Luckily I enjoyed it and said so (as apparently some of his friends hate it and have also said so...) and one of the girls reached into her purse and pulled out a coupon for a free frozen pizza for each of us.  When I told her that my mom loves their frozen pizza she gave me another one.  Turns out her parents are the owners and it's a family business.  I talked to my old roommate about it more and he said they have a couple restaurants but put more interest in their frozen pizzas because they can separate themselves from the pack there but the restaurant side is pretty competitive.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2016, 01:34:46 PM »
I know 4ever's face looked like pepperoni pizza back in high school.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2016, 01:52:30 PM »
As far as frozen pizza goes, Jack's isn't too bad.

And it seemed like they were on sale at Pick 'n Save every other week.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2016, 01:59:37 PM »
Not when you're a broke college student.

If you're a broke college student raise your hand.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2016, 02:04:21 PM »
As far as frozen pizza goes, Jack's isn't too bad.

And it seemed like they were on sale at Pick 'n Save every other week.

I had so much Jacks pizza in my freezer. There was a 10 for 10 deal once and I bought a shameful amount.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2016, 04:19:19 PM »

Without a doubt.  Best crust by far.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2016, 05:03:46 PM »
I had so much Jacks pizza in my freezer. There was a 10 for 10 deal once and I bought a shameful amount.

I remember the 10 for 10 Jacks sales well. Bought ten like every month
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2016, 05:33:26 PM »
I know 4ever's face looked like pepperoni pizza back in high school.

ZFB's butt still does. At least that's what 4never tells me.

Tried Home Run Inn a couple of times.. thought it was awful.

The Palermo's pepperoni flatbread pizza is tasty.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2016, 08:04:04 PM »
Angelo' s was terrible, but the only place there. Then came Ski's deep dish (poor man's Chi style).  NY Joe's went in next to Suburpia, and was a significant step up.  Wales on Wells didn't have pizza, but did a solid burger. My favorite burger was the Gym on a hungover Saturday.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2016, 08:19:03 PM »
Cousins, Subway, Qdoba, MU Gyros, Papa John's, Dog Haus, Broken Yolk, Sal's, Real Chili. I think that was legitimately the only food on campus when I was there. Sounds like I got the worst of the worst. Angelo's had closed, same with Ziggy's, no Sobleman's on campus yet. Don't think I'm forgetting anything but might be.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Charley Farley

• Walk-On
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2016, 09:03:27 PM »
Pizza Joe's was opened for a minute when I was on campus... then became A Taste of Philly, which was SLAMMIN!!!!!

All I remember about Pizza Joe's is **someone, a freshman** puking there, in a cup, while seating with friends at a table. It overflowed.

Taste of Philly was so good.  Still maybe the best cheesesteak I've had.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2016, 09:26:47 PM »
Taste of Philly was so good.  Still maybe the best cheesesteak I've had.

Amen. As I Recall, pricey for the area (mostly due to my situation then.. now no problemo), but wonderful food.

I don't want to overstate it, but Taste of Philly was AMAZING at the least.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2016, 09:31:23 PM »
Broken yolk has an amazing breakfast burrito. 

The size of you head.

Meant for two