Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo's Compensation & Pilarz's Mess  (Read 36071 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Wojo's Compensation & Pilarz's Mess
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2016, 01:24:36 PM »
True, but the topic is on Marquette and these folks were all fired/separated.

Oh I get that. My post was meant to try to keep things in context. I feel that scoop in general (not you specifically) often have anti Marquette administration agenda. I was just trying to keep the context that these kinds of situations are very common at universities and while not good, should not be viewed as a huge black eye to Marquette. Discussion of it is absolutely merited, just trying to keep the context.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2016, 01:31:35 PM »
Oh I get that. My post was meant to try to keep things in context. I feel that scoop in general (not you specifically) often have anti Marquette administration agenda. I was just trying to keep the context that these kinds of situations are very common at universities and while not good, should not be viewed as a huge black eye to Marquette. Discussion of it is absolutely merited, just trying to keep the context.

Except that the highest $ individual on his list simply was being paid when he was an employee. The claim of the OP was based on his own mistake, not reality. There's no merit in that!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2016, 01:43:15 PM »
Except this: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/05/29/business/how-much-ceos-made-last-year.html

I guess I should have said Fortune 500 companies as this guy digs up a site that includes every CEO in America. If we are a Top 500 University, then compare to Top 500 CEO's.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2016, 02:50:31 PM »
Actually, there are millions.  Just ask my wife.   :)

There are...I'd agree with her.  27 million private firms in this country, let alone the CEO in the home....my wife, your wife, etc.

;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2016, 05:31:40 PM »
I guess I should have said Fortune 500 companies as this guy digs up a site that includes every CEO in America. If we are a Top 500 University, then compare to Top 500 CEO's.

Even then, there are millions of companies/firms in this country, only 2,600 universities.   

Fortune 500 CEOs are going to be compensated (much of it in stock performance) because there are only 500 of them, and they are responsible for generating trillions of dollars in value to the US and world economies.  Just as athletes in pro sports....there are only a few of them, they're going to get compensated accordingly.  Supply and demand.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:33:29 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2016, 08:13:48 PM »
I just spent the last month filling out 990s.  You are either unnecessarily snarky or don't know what you are talking about.

All donations have to be recorded as revenue whether they are immediately spent or not.  If you dig into the the details, you will notice that there was $26 million contributed to endowment funds in 2015.  That is money that is not meant to go straight back out as expense. If you assume that Marquette only spends the investment income off of endowments, all contributions to endowment funds would be pure "profit".

My guess is a lot of the rest were capital campaign contributions.  You have to recognize it in the year that either the money is received, or on a pledge, all conditions have been met to receive the money.  However, the expense is recognized over the life of the asset.  As a simple example, let's assume that in the year the law school was completed, the Ecksteins gave Marquette $50 million to pay for it.  The building has an estimated useful life of 50 years.  In that example, Marquette would show revenue of $50 million, but expense of only $1 million ($50 million/50 years = $1 miilion/year of depreciation), for a tidy "profit" of $49 million for that year.
The revenue expense numbers are consistent from year to year. The contributions you cite also become assets. The change in net assets was a positive 41 million. I think we are doing well.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2016, 08:22:09 PM »
The revenue expense numbers are consistent from year to year. The contributions you cite also become assets. The change in net assets was a positive 41 million. I think we are doing well.

We are indeed doing well. But it isn't really accurate or appropriate to call it "profitable".
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2016, 09:02:16 PM »
We are indeed doing well. But it isn't really accurate or appropriate to call it "profitable".
Yes we are a non profit organization. I am delighted we are not sucking wind though. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2016, 09:07:47 PM »
I think if we knew the real truth it might be that MU wanted him gone. The last compensation might be the difference between what he would of been paid at MU vs. what he was paid the first year at Virginia Tech.
That would explain why Buzz left for a lower paying job at less successful basketball school.
This is a really good point. I'm personally of the opinion that 60% chance Buzz left, 40% chance MU told him he'd be done at the end of the season. Neither would really shock me.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2016, 09:14:30 PM »
This is a really good point. I'm personally of the opinion that 60% chance Buzz left, 40% chance MU told him he'd be done at the end of the season. Neither would really shock me.

No.  It's a terrible point and completely inaccurate.  And Buzz was not "told he'd be done at the end of the season."

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2016, 09:20:48 PM »
Except there aren't 200 CEOs in this country....more like 200,000.  Good to see my industry has 20+ in that list.  Looks I chose wisely.
More like, "looks like those 20+ CEOs chose the right industry." Didn't see you on that list?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2016, 09:22:44 PM »

No.  It's a terrible point and completely inaccurate.  And Buzz was not "told he'd be done at the end of the season."
I probably missed it - was something sourced that confirms that?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2016, 09:45:06 PM »
I probably missed it - was something sourced that confirms that?

They didn't go out of the way to make him happy. They never asked him to leave.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2016, 11:49:44 PM »
More like, "looks like those 20+ CEOs chose the right industry." Didn't see you on that list?

burger

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2016, 07:26:12 AM »
Average CEO pay is $160K

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Chief_Executive_Officer_(CEO)/Salary

What kind of CEO are you talking.....That seems awfully light.....Are you averaging people that call themselves CEO's at a soon to be doomed....."I just started my own company CEO's"......(for tax purposes)

I know 4......2 big guys (Fortune 200).....1 small company (200 employees).....and one owner/CEO......and none is reimbursed less than 4X the number you quoted.....and that is without profit sharing/performance bonuses.....That is base.....

A manager with regional responsibility gets "base" renumeriated in that area.....or should......

and PS.....Given that my spouse is an HR exec.....and have listenned to 25 years of stories.....This MU cluster would be considered a mess.....Don't know who was the genius.....Probably several.....Given that.....MU does not have a masters level HR program of note.....
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 07:34:08 AM by burger »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2016, 08:16:53 AM »

Accurate, but there was 'dancing in the halls' at Zilber.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2016, 09:02:49 AM »
Accurate, but there was 'dancing in the halls' at Zilber.

The basketball program hasn't even been invited to a sock hop since. Maybe the folks at Zilber will be "dancing in the streets" rather than the halls soon.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2016, 09:12:52 AM »
What kind of CEO are you talking.....That seems awfully light.....Are you averaging people that call themselves CEO's at a soon to be doomed....."I just started my own company CEO's"......(for tax purposes)

I know 4......2 big guys (Fortune 200).....1 small company (200 employees).....and one owner/CEO......and none is reimbursed less than 4X the number you quoted.....and that is without profit sharing/performance bonuses.....That is base.....

A manager with regional responsibility gets "base" renumeriated in that area.....or should......

and PS.....Given that my spouse is an HR exec.....and have listenned to 25 years of stories.....This MU cluster would be considered a mess.....Don't know who was the genius.....Probably several.....Given that.....MU does not have a masters level HR program of note.....

Click the links, straight forward what I'm talking about.  Chief Executive Officer of a company.  People focus in on only the Fortune 500 companies, but there are CEOs of companies big and small all over this country.  That's the problem, people aren't capable or forget this, even though the vast vast vast majority of CEOs make less then their neighborhood Orthodontist.  There's a reason why people don't want to look at the entire picture and all the stats.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2016, 09:16:08 PM »
Click the links, straight forward what I'm talking about.  Chief Executive Officer of a company.  People focus in on only the Fortune 500 companies, but there are CEOs of companies big and small all over this country.  That's the problem, people aren't capable or forget this, even though the vast vast vast majority of CEOs make less then their neighborhood Orthodontist.  There's a reason why people don't want to look at the entire picture and all the stats.

Chicos, the pedantic sea lion

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2016, 09:25:53 PM »
The basketball program hasn't even been invited to a sock hop since. Maybe the folks at Zilber will be "dancing in the streets" rather than the halls soon.

There was nobody in the halls at Zilber at the time.  Felt like Detroit.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2016, 10:17:19 PM »
Chicos, the pedantic sea lion

Nothing pedantic about it.  People use CEO pay to try and make a point (a wrong one), but the facts are the point is lost when what they truly mean are a handful of CEOs.....which are paid accordingly because of what they do and the talents they have....no different than the top ball players, actors, etc. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2016, 08:47:50 AM »
I need to find a gig where they  ask me to leave, and then pay me another $300-500k!

Just keep moderating the way you do, it can happen. ;)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 08:59:31 AM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2017, 10:07:51 PM »
The July-June 2016 IRS 990 form was just posted. I will leave this in the year old thread with all the bean counters' caveats. Note headline: This is a year old and there may or may not be other income.

• The Pilarz and Von Williams family severance gravy train has ended
  • Wojo's 990 form Total Compensation was $1,866,965. Base was $1,673,682. Bonus was $140,000, other non-taxable benefits were $53,283.
  • Scholl earned $466,027 in total comp (including a bonus) and Broeker $316,00 (well-earned keeping the train on the tracks)
  • Lovell earned $869,578 in total (ditto to Broeker)

This appears to be a nice bump for Wojo after his extension. More to come next June.

Let the caveats commence.

http://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/documents/FiscalYear2016-TaxReturn.pdf
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:10:39 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2017, 10:27:34 PM »
Wait... are you telling me Chicos shoehorned in a name drop where it was tangentially related at best? I'm shocked!

The point, as always, is Chicos Knows People. Just ask him. He's done business with Donny Deutsch for years, he shared cheese fries with Michael Dukakis' nephew in a corporate box, and his close personal friend is the Equivalent to the Collegiate AD Position in Professional Sports Who Was Also One of 10 Finalists for the MU AD Position. He can get you any of their autographs upon request.

Lol
Hes a changed man though
Lol
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2017, 10:35:40 PM »
Wojo doesn't look to be doing the personal LLC thing like Buzz did.

feedback