[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo's Compensation & Pilarz's Mess  (Read 36062 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Wojo's Compensation & Pilarz's Mess
« on: May 29, 2016, 05:03:43 PM »
Marquette just posted their IRS Form 990, which covers their academic year of 7/1/14 through 6/30/15.  JayBee will chime in with all the caveats, but this covers Wojo's first full year of compensation, remembering he has been extended since.

Wojo's base salary is listed as $1,186,158 plus $37,872 in other benefits for a total of $1,224,030 in compensation.

Buzzard still received $478,480 in compensation and benefits, even though he left in March 2014 and didn't work in this fiscal year.

Marquette was still paying severance for the Pilarz disaster to DiStanislao ($325,000), Larry Williams ($390,696), and Kliebhan ($393,667) as it related to MU and MUAD. At least Pilarz still isn't getting a stipend like last year.

Cords got paid $293,742 for his mop up duty of this mess.

So, MU paid $1.9 million to employees long gone to get that mess behind them. We were left to flush the toilet.

http://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/documents/FY15finalPUBLIC.pdf

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Wojo's Compensation & Pilarz's Mess
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 05:15:06 PM »
I need to find a gig where they  ask me to leave, and then pay me another $300-500k!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 05:19:01 PM »
How can buzz break his contract  but then still get paid?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 05:22:51 PM »
It's likely deferred compensation of some sort.

I notice that Wojo just got paid straight cash. Nothing that I could see like Team Buzz Williams, LLC.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 05:23:32 PM »
Oh and Buzz never "broke his contract."

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 05:26:06 PM »

Could be something as simple as bonuses paid out for NCAA tournament wins, but paid out over a period of time instead of lump sums.  Just because Buzz/VPI paid the buyout to release him doesn't mean he's not owed the bonuses.

Not saying that's the actual reason, but it's a reasonable explanation.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 06:22:26 PM »

It was reported at the time that Buzz had a clause that said when the AD left that his buyout dropped to $100,000.  While that was intended for Cottingham, it was still in place when Larry left.  So, Buzz didn't break the contract.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 07:06:08 PM »
Buzz breached the contract thereby invoking the terms of the liquidated damages clause.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 09:00:53 PM »
Buzz breached the contract thereby invoking the terms of the liquidated damages clause.
I think if we knew the real truth it might be that MU wanted him gone. The last compensation might be the difference between what he would of been paid at MU vs. what he was paid the first year at Virginia Tech.
That would explain why Buzz left for a lower paying job at less successful basketball school.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 09:36:22 PM »
Marquette just posted their IRS Form 990, which covers their academic year of 7/1/14 through 6/30/15.  JayBee will chime in with all the caveats, but this covers Wojo's first full year of compensation, remembering he has been extended since.

Wojo's base salary is listed as $1,186,158 plus $37,872 in other benefits for a total of $1,224,030 in compensation.

Buzzard still received $478,480 in compensation and benefits, even though he left in March 2014 and didn't work in this fiscal year.

Marquette was still paying severance for the Pilarz disaster to DiStanislao ($325,000), Larry Williams ($390,696), and Kliebhan ($393,667) as it related to MU and MUAD. At least Pilarz still isn't getting a stipend like last year.

So, MU paid $1.9 million to employees long gone to get that mess behind them. We were left to flush the toilet.

I am not sure why you believe that Father Pilarz alone is responsible. It's not like he made these HR decisions by himself.  A university hire, for example  has more fingerprints on it than a hire by just about any other kind of organization.  He may have wanted these decisions to be made; he may have, in fact, aggressively campaigned for those decisions. But ultimately, they are made by the BOT and the high-level leadership team.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 09:39:16 PM »

MU is a highly profitable organization.  We made 48 Million  tax free this year up from 35 million tax free  last year.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 09:59:20 PM »
I think if we knew the real truth it might be that MU wanted him gone. The last compensation might be the difference between what he would of been paid at MU vs. what he was paid the first year at Virginia Tech.
That would explain why Buzz left for a lower paying job at less successful basketball school.

I find this incredibly unlikely. In fact the public info from VPI indicates this isn't even close to being true.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 11:40:03 PM »
It was reported at the time that Buzz had a clause that said when the AD left that his buyout dropped to $100,000.  While that was intended for Cottingham, it was still in place when Larry left.  So, Buzz didn't break the contract.

Did you factor in settlement costs for sexual assaults back in the day as well?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 11:43:05 PM »

Kliebhan has been gone since 2011, right? 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 11:45:56 PM »
Kliebhan has been gone since 2011, right?

Yep. "Retired"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 11:53:26 PM »
I am not sure why you believe that Father Pilarz alone is responsible. It's not like he made these HR decisions by himself.  A university hire, for example  has more fingerprints on it than a hire by just about any other kind of organization.  He may have wanted these decisions to be made; he may have, in fact, aggressively campaigned for those decisions. But ultimately, they are made by the BOT and the high-level leadership team.
Yes, this was Team ClusterF*ck.  That said, Mary was Scott's childhood friend and she was close with Larry from Notre Dame. Do you honestly believe an independent board selected these two out of a group line up? 

The board holds in trust Marquette’s human, physical, and financial and assets for future generations. The trustees are stewards of Marquette’s Catholic and Jesuit identity. They establish policies on university strategy, financial management, fundraising, investments, property and assets. The board is responsible for hiring and evaluating the university’s president. The day-to-day administration of Marquette is the responsibility of the university president and his leadership team.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 11:55:34 PM »
MU is a highly profitable organization.  We made 48 Million  tax free this year up from 35 million tax free  last year.

That $1.9 million represents 48 scholarships.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 12:06:56 AM »
Yes, this was Team ClusterF*ck.  That said, Mary was Scott's childhood friend and she was close with Larry from Notre Dame. Do you honestly believe an independent board selected these two out of a group line up?

Larry was one of over 75 candidates looked at, though about 8 to 10 were serious.  I have a good friend that was a candidate, he currently resides at a level in professional sports that would qualify him as an equal to an AD.  He is an MU grad.  One of those 8 to 10.

Williams never even met Pilarz until about 2 weeks prior to being hired.  Allie McGuire chaired the search committee. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 12:32:18 AM »
Larry was one of over 75 candidates looked at, though about 8 to 10 were serious.  I have a good friend that was a candidate, he currently resides at a level in professional sports that would qualify him as an equal to an AD.  He is an MU grad.  One of those 8 to 10.

Williams never even met Pilarz until about 2 weeks prior to being hired.  Allie McGuire chaired the search committee.

I am not sure of your point. As I stated, Mary worked closely with Larry for multiple years at Notre Dame, and she was Pilarz's childhood friend.  If you think that was a coincidence, so be it.  In any regard, Pilarz hired those both as was his charge. 

Back to the the topic.  MU is still paying for all those mistakes as well as the separation of those others all involved in that cluster.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 05:57:16 AM »
The hillbilly lonesome cowboy who was and is a big time fake. Just as this evidence shows. And because he was shown the door that hit him the ass, weighed down by all those zoidies.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 06:47:57 AM »
I am not sure of your point. As I stated, Mary worked closely with Larry for multiple years at Notre Dame, and she was Pilarz's childhood friend.  If you think that was a coincidence, so be it.  In any regard, Pilarz hired those both as was his charge. 

Back to the the topic.  MU is still paying for all those mistakes as well as the separation of those others all involved in that cluster.

Wait... are you telling me Chicos shoehorned in a name drop where it was tangentially related at best? I'm shocked!

The point, as always, is Chicos Knows People. Just ask him. He's done business with Donny Deutsch for years, he shared cheese fries with Michael Dukakis' nephew in a corporate box, and his close personal friend is the Equivalent to the Collegiate AD Position in Professional Sports Who Was Also One of 10 Finalists for the MU AD Position. He can get you any of their autographs upon request.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 06:58:23 AM »

I'm not sure Chicos has a full understanding of what a search committee does.  Allie McGuire wasn't making the hire.  They would screen candidates and make recommendations, but in the end they will let the supervisor hire the guy he wants as long as he is qualified.

BTW, there was nothing in Larry's background to suggest he would be a poor candidate...at least to an outsider like me.  In the end it was the Pilarz presidency that was the root of many of Marquette's woes.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 08:19:21 AM »
Wait... are you telling me Chicos shoehorned in a name drop where it was tangentially related at best? I'm shocked!

The point, as always, is Chicos Knows People. Just ask him. He's done business with Donny Deutsch for years, he shared cheese fries with Michael Dukakis' nephew in a corporate box, and his close personal friend is the Equivalent to the Collegiate AD Position in Professional Sports Who Was Also One of 10 Finalists for the MU AD Position. He can get you any of their autographs upon request.

stop...chicos is the donald trump of this board.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 08:21:17 AM »

I just spent the last month filling out 990s.  You are either unnecessarily snarky or don't know what you are talking about.

All donations have to be recorded as revenue whether they are immediately spent or not.  If you dig into the the details, you will notice that there was $26 million contributed to endowment funds in 2015.  That is money that is not meant to go straight back out as expense. If you assume that Marquette only spends the investment income off of endowments, all contributions to endowment funds would be pure "profit".

My guess is a lot of the rest were capital campaign contributions.  You have to recognize it in the year that either the money is received, or on a pledge, all conditions have been met to receive the money.  However, the expense is recognized over the life of the asset.  As a simple example, let's assume that in the year the law school was completed, the Ecksteins gave Marquette $50 million to pay for it.  The building has an estimated useful life of 50 years.  In that example, Marquette would show revenue of $50 million, but expense of only $1 million ($50 million/50 years = $1 miilion/year of depreciation), for a tidy "profit" of $49 million for that year.
Have some patience, FFS.