'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Newsdreams
[Today at 03:20:44 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Seat Selection Process -  (Read 57398 times)

MU62

• Starter
Seat Selection Process -
« on: May 29, 2016, 11:06:25 AM »
I just went into the website for the selection.  I appears to me to be different than in the past.  There is a mention that one can only see the selection process 30 minutes before the time to make the selection.  In the past I was able to look at the three days prior to my selecting date and get  ideas of what was happening.  Maybe I am mistaken in reading this. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Seat Selection Process -
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 09:16:49 PM »
No doubt, in the past you could salivate for days over all the great seats that were absolutely going to be gone by the time your slot was open.

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 09:35:41 PM »
Just tell me why they are doing this if you have all the answers.  You seem as usual to know everything.  I am 52 years as a season ticket holder.  I have a right to gripe.  Many of my piers have just gone quietly away from the folly.  We all sat together and got to know different wonderful folks.  Many don't go any more. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 10:38:28 AM »
Sorry, I have no answer for you.  If I guessed, it was because people would look at the available seats "too early" and think they could get a particular area .. but when their time came, they were disappointed. -- So MU is trying to reduce the disappointment.  Who knows?

Gripe on, my season ticket holder brother.   Admittedly .. this year it's (only) my wife that wants to renew.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 11:00:42 AM »
Guess we know who wears da Haggars at yo crib then, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 12:32:58 PM »
Just tell me why they are doing this if you have all the answers.  You seem as usual to know everything.  I am 52 years as a season ticket holder.  I have a right to gripe.  Many of my piers have just gone quietly away from the folly.  We all sat together and got to know different wonderful folks.  Many don't go any more.

MU 62, you should definitely contact the ticket office with your concerns.  It is my understanding that they bend over backwards to help long-time ticketholders.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 02:52:09 PM »
Just tell me why they are doing this if you have all the answers.  You seem as usual to know everything.  I am 52 years as a season ticket holder.  I have a right to gripe.  Many of my piers have just gone quietly away from the folly. 

I think it's cool that you brought you boat docks to the games. A little bulky sure but they probably don't drink a lot.

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 03:44:49 PM »
I know.  My pier is in dry dock for ever. That is the reason I wanted to scarf the web site in advanced.  I need lots of room.  Maybe the new arena will be more user friendly.  Lol from an old man who hoped no one would notice my typo but you can't put anything past the intelligent folks on this board.  Go Warriors!     

augoman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 05:07:54 PM »
Chick, not always.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 05:19:56 PM »
My pier is in dry dock for ever.

Poor dude. Chit, that sounds painful and terrible, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 08:11:20 PM »
Sorry, I have no answer for you.  If I guessed, it was because people would look at the available seats "too early" and think they could get a particular area .. but when their time came, they were disappointed. -- So MU is trying to reduce the disappointment.  Who knows?

Gripe on, my season ticket holder brother.   Admittedly .. this year it's (only) my wife that wants to renew.

Come on Hilltopper, you just cut the cord...you're swimming in $$$ now....do it for the old alma mater.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 08:50:09 PM »

i'm totally with ya here 62.  just when one starts getting comfy in their surroundings... i wasn't real good at math, but i do know what zero from zero is. ::)  go warriors!
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 09:43:10 PM »
Come on Hilltopper, you just cut the cord...you're swimming in $$$ now....do it for the old alma mater.

/Last/ year I did it for the old alma mater.   I gave away half of the tickets.   -- That, after going to 19+ games a year for fifteen years.   That's pretty bad.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:44:52 PM by mu_hilltopper »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 11:57:34 PM »
/Last/ year I did it for the old alma mater.   I gave away half of the tickets.   -- That, after going to 19+ games a year for fifteen years.   That's pretty bad.

You didn't want to see Hank play in those games...a future T-Wolf or Buck? 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 04:00:26 AM »
Ok, here is the nonsense with the whole process. I've been a season ticket holder with the Chicago Bears for about 20 years (yes, I also am a die hard Packers fan who lives in Chicago and loves pro football). Since the Bears moved back into the Giant Toilet Seat in 2003, I've had the same seats, sat next to the same people and developed a friendship with several.

Enough so that one of my friends who sits next to me is coming to my son's high school graduation party. I tailgate with them from time to time and generally have a great time in my seats. My Dad had the same experience with the baseball tickets he had for years.

That's the problem with Marquette's reseating program. If you've been a season ticket holder, fulfill the requirements for contributions and like your seats, why can't you keep them? Sell a damn PSL if you have to, but let people stay where they are. I never did get this reseating crap and I never will.

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 06:17:43 AM »
Before being pushed out of section 212 we sat in row H for years.  Then suddenly the four seats to our right were turned over to a corporation but that was okay. Gone were friends we had acquired.  Then the next year my row was entirely turned over to the Bradley Center to sell. 

I moved down to row F and the same four seats of corporate also moved down.  What was not comfortable was that for about five of the Big East games the fans behind us were totally against MU. 

What was really bad however was the Badger game.  Six fans right behind us were Badger fans.  The three guys were drunk and spilling beer and F bombing right and left.  MU was winning the game and as I stood up with a lot of other  fans to cheer in the last 30 seconds or so, the drunk right behind me  pushed me forward.  Being in my mid 70's I easily went forward but my son grabbed me or I could have gone over the seat in front of me.  His wife told me she was sorry. 

So much for the MU reseating policy.  That is why I bring up the 30 minute rule because of past apprehension.  When you look at the blocked seats from the beginning you realize what is going on as the heavy hitters and corporate America etc are being rewarded.  There is a lot of smoke and mirrors going on as to the whole process and it does not have anything to do with the IRS.  Supposedly it is the sales tax on the mandatory contribution.  Everything is about the money.  Those salaries we saw recently on another thread were most revealing. 

There a so many folks I knew that don't go anymore.  As you get older and look back at the many years of attending games (52 for me) and it really makes you feel bad.  Once in a while I run into someone I used to see and they say they are fed up with the whole process and have given up their seats.  Sure new and rich blood is coming in but it does not seem right to me. 

Sorry for rambling so long.         
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 07:39:47 AM by mu_hilltopper »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 07:29:55 AM »
Ahhhh.......so that was the smoke and mirrors that Holly was referring to.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 08:00:58 AM »
Ok, here is the nonsense with the whole process. I've been a season ticket holder with the Chicago Bears for about 20 years (yes, I also am a die hard Packers fan who lives in Chicago and loves pro football). Since the Bears moved back into the Giant Toilet Seat in 2003, I've had the same seats, sat next to the same people and developed a friendship with several.

Enough so that one of my friends who sits next to me is coming to my son's high school graduation party. I tailgate with them from time to time and generally have a great time in my seats. My Dad had the same experience with the baseball tickets he had for years.

That's the problem with Marquette's reseating program. If you've been a season ticket holder, fulfill the requirements for contributions and like your seats, why can't you keep them? Sell a damn PSL if you have to, but let people stay where they are. I never did get this reseating crap and I never will.

It is a state requirement having to do with the tax deductibility of your required contribution. At least that's what I've been told.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 08:14:57 AM »

It is a state requirement having to do with the tax deductibility of your required contribution. At least that's what I've been told.

Unfortunate, but accurate.  Nobody likes every year.  Every 2 was about right.  Chick and I weren't season ticket holders when the point system was introduced.  That would have broken the Scoop page record.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 08:30:21 AM »
Before being pushed out of section 212 we sat in row H for years.  Then suddenly the four seats to our right were turned over to a corporation but that was okay. Gone were friends we had acquired.  Then the next year my row was entirely turned over to the Bradley Center to sell. 

I moved down to row F and the same four seats of corporate also moved down.  What was not comfortable was that for about five of the Big East games the fans behind us were totally against MU. 

What was really bad however was the Badger game.  Six fans right behind us were Badger fans.  The three guys were drunk and spilling beer and F bombing right and left.  MU was winning the game and as I stood up with a lot of other  fans to cheer in the last 30 seconds or so, the drunk right behind me  pushed me forward.  Being in my mid 70's I easily went forward but my son grabbed me or I could have gone over the seat in front of me.  His wife told me she was sorry. 

So much for the MU reseating policy.  That is why I bring up the 30 minute rule because of past apprehension.  When you look at the blocked seats from the beginning you realize what is going on as the heavy hitters and corporate America etc are being rewarded.  There is a lot of smoke and mirrors going on as to the whole process and it does not have anything to do with the IRS.  Supposedly it is the sales tax on the mandatory contribution.  Everything is about the money.  Those salaries we saw recently on another thread were most revealing. 

There a so many folks I knew that don't go anymore.  As you get older and look back at the many years of attending games (52 for me) and it really makes you feel bad.  Once in a while I run into someone I used to see and they say they are fed up with the whole process and have given up their seats.  Sure new and rich blood is coming in but it does not seem right to me. 

Sorry for rambling so long.         

Next time slap that mofo upside da head, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 12:40:22 PM »

I am still trying to reconcile this with the fact that faculty/staff (who aren't required to make a seat donation) still have to go through the same re-seating process.  The DOR decision makes absolutely no logical sense whatsoever and seems obstructive for no other purpose than to be obstructive.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »
The only thing that's constant is change. The seat selection process may not be what it once was, but unless someone plans to go to Madison and plead to the state government, it's not changing back. If anything, it will probably become more frustrating before it becomes less so. This is the way it has to be done. Rather than griping about the same thing every year (we've been doing this what, 4 years now?) probably time to accept that it's not perfect, but Marquette does what they can to make it as close as legally possible to the old system.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 12:54:27 PM »
The only thing that's constant is change. The seat selection process may not be what it once was, but unless someone plans to go to Madison and plead to the state government, it's not changing back. If anything, it will probably become more frustrating before it becomes less so. This is the way it has to be done. Rather than griping about the same thing every year (we've been doing this what, 4 years now?) probably time to accept that it's not perfect, but Marquette does what they can to make it as close as legally possible to the old system.

Actually, if they wanted to make it exactly like the old system, they could.  Remove the (partially) deductible seat "donations," and build the entire cost into the ticket.  I'm guessing they'd lose some folks who are in it for the deduction...but they might also keep many more who are getting frustrated with the yearly roulette wheel.

Just a guess...but I'd bet '62 would happily give up the few bucks he gets back from the deduction if things went back to the way they were.  I know I'd be happier.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 01:12:49 PM »
Actually, if they wanted to make it exactly like the old system, they could.  Remove the (partially) deductible seat "donations," and build the entire cost into the ticket.  I'm guessing they'd lose some folks who are in it for the deduction...but they might also keep many more who are getting frustrated with the yearly roulette wheel.

Just a guess...but I'd bet '62 would happily give up the few bucks he gets back from the deduction if things went back to the way they were.  I know I'd be happier.

Except they really can't. If they did that, the prices on seats would go up significantly. They have to do it like this because it's the only way to keep the seat donations tax free. It may not mean much to individuals, but it means a lot to Marquette because that's the only way they can get the donations without them being taxed. I'd guess ticket prices would go up 50-60% if they did that, if not more.

So you'd give up the value of the deduction and also pay 150% or more for your tickets. Think that would make everyone happy? My guess is it'd be a quick way to cut the number of STHs in half.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 01:44:03 PM »
Except they really can't. If they did that, the prices on seats would go up significantly. They have to do it like this because it's the only way to keep the seat donations tax free. It may not mean much to individuals, but it means a lot to Marquette because that's the only way they can get the donations without them being taxed. I'd guess ticket prices would go up 50-60% if they did that, if not more.

So you'd give up the value of the deduction and also pay 150% or more for your tickets. Think that would make everyone happy? My guess is it'd be a quick way to cut the number of STHs in half.

In answer to your question about the value of the deduction - yes, I would gladly give it up.  I already drive 9 hours round trip to the 10 or so home games I attend, so the cost of the tix (even with an increase) would be a drop in the bucket when combined with gas, food and usually a hotel room.  In exchange for the increase in price, I'd get the certainty of knowing that I could still sit with the same crew I've been sitting among for years.

I know I am an outlier, but my relatively atypical STH story reveals a bigger truth - most people who have season tix do it for the team and the university, and the cost and/or tax deduction is a small factor compared to that allegiance.

My guess is that the number of STHs has already been declining because of the system that has been established...and that you overestimate how many STHs we would lose if we simplified the system.