[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: I miss Midwest Express Airlines  (Read 15206 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: I miss Midwest Express Airlines
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2016, 04:05:32 PM »
don't...don't don't don't don't

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2016, 04:37:55 PM »
One thing I have noticed is that when you talk price with swa guys, they are always talking about 1-way. Always confuses me when they say a price and I can't believe how cheap the flight to (insert city) is compared to what I was looking at for other airlines. I got to the site and realize they meant one way.

I think that's all about how you book SWA flights on the website.  Even if booking a RT, you pick each leg at it's individual price.  So we're used to thinking about it each way.  In fact that's another benefit.  One way does not have any upcharge associated.  Same would be true for a three legged (eg. MDW-LAS-MKE).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2016, 04:51:54 PM »
And I think most other airlines have followed suit. I have flown one way on other carriers at about half of the round trip.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2016, 05:05:37 PM »
I think that's all about how you book SWA flights on the website.  Even if booking a RT, you pick each leg at it's individual price.  So we're used to thinking about it each way.  In fact that's another benefit.  One way does not have any upcharge associated.  Same would be true for a three legged (eg. MDW-LAS-MKE).

When you book on Google you select each ticket individually. You can also do multi city. Swa is the only airline that won't allow Google to book flights. How is that a benefit?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2016, 05:45:02 PM »
I know it's starting to gain momentum, and it's much more difficult than Uber/Airbnb, but it'll be interesting to see if these little start ups flying 6-8 passengers out of small regional airports will become more popular. I know there's some LA-San Fran flights that have gained popularity (no TSA, show up and take off, leg room, food/drink options).

Sounds like a great idea, and I'd certainly be willing to pay a premium if they do it right.  My two concerns would be the experience level of the pilots, and whether they have to abide by the same maintenance standards as the major carriers.  Premium service loses its appeal if you're significantly more likely to end up dead.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2016, 07:34:19 PM »
looking at flights on swa right now for october-holy schnikees!  then i googled some round trips mke-las and between priceline and kayak, etc., i can get a nonstop round trip($140ish) for less than a one way($185-300 something) on swa.  they are my go to airline, but who do they think they are? emirates air?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2016, 08:56:17 PM »
I bought a round trip to London even though I only needed a one way because the round trip was $800 cheaper. Are they gonna hunt me down if I don't use the return ticket?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2016, 09:06:25 PM »
looking at flights on swa right now for october-holy schnikees!  then i googled some round trips mke-las and between priceline and kayak, etc., i can get a nonstop round trip($140ish) for less than a one way($185-300 something) on swa.  they are my go to airline, but who do they think they are? emirates air?

Don't book on Saturday  or sunday night.  Prices will be cheaper on Tuesday.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2016, 10:22:52 PM »

i usually don't.  thursdays into vegas are bad also, but i have a CE class on a friday and i don't want to take off anymore work than i have to prior to the class as i'm spending the following 10 days in havasu.  so if i fly in on a wednesday to save $50 or so on the flight, even if i'm comped for the hotel, figure a couple of meals and gambling losses...and i'm bringing my associate who needs to get back to the office by monday...to make me some money while i'm golfing and atv'ing in the mountains ::)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2016, 08:14:13 AM »
early bird is $12.50 per ticket. i get this all the time. 

More lies!

How are you getting the $2.50 discount "all the time"??
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2016, 08:36:22 AM »
I bought a round trip to London even though I only needed a one way because the round trip was $800 cheaper. Are they gonna hunt me down if I don't use the return ticket?

You should be fine.

I believe the only time you get in trouble is if you book a round trip to go further than you want, and get off along the way (book MKE-DEN-LAX, then LAX-DEN-MKE, but get off in DEN on the outbound).  If you try to get back for the return in DEN, you will find that most airlines will have canceled the return trip when you "missed" the second leg of the outbound.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2016, 08:52:10 AM »
When you book on Google you select each ticket individually. You can also do multi city. Swa is the only airline that won't allow Google to book flights. How is that a benefit?

Doesn't this change the subject?  It was asked why SWA folks speak about prices on a one way basis.  I explained that.  I suppose it's their choice that SWA tickets are only available through their own website.  It's not like anyone doesn't know that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2016, 08:56:33 AM »

For sure.  I'd anticipate a sale soon.  I have some September SWA tix I got for as low as $64 a few weeks back.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2016, 09:06:50 AM »
Just flew Spirit on a Vegas rounder from ORD.

No problems, FAs were nice and polite. $7 for a double crown and ginger.

Select better seats for the small upcharge, we did the Big Seats on the way home since it was a late Sunday night flight, it was fantastic and still much cheaper than any other airline.

I had 4 different changes of clothes, sandals and a pair of loafers in a backpack as the personal item.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2016, 09:13:22 AM »
I had sandals and a pair of loafers

nh?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2016, 09:17:16 AM »

It don't matter for SWA from dis one horse town. Prices are a function of supply and demand, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2016, 09:24:00 AM »

It don't matter for SWA from dis one horse town. Prices are a function of supply and demand, ai na?

No doubt.  Folks in smaller towns certainly pay up for airline tix.  I do recall when SWA first came to MKE.  Wow were they cheap as they built market share.  We would drive up from Chicago to take advantage along with the $5 parking.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2016, 09:30:28 AM »
What happened to Midwest as well as the legacy carriers is simple. The public would sell their own mothers for a low airfare. The public has been conditioned to accept crappy service in return for low fares.

But .. while I get jamming as many people in to planes as possible .. I don't get the cutbacks in service, food, etc.  -- Or rather, why there isn't a Midwest Express sector.

What do warm cookies cost in bulk?  Maybe 20 cents?   How about wine?   Buy the wine in gallons and maybe that's 50 cents a cup.   Decent food, wifi .. what are we talking, $10 in cost?    The costs of that stuff is figuratively peanuts.

If your choice was SW's cattle car for $179, or Midwest Express' premium service at $189 aren't you dropping the extra Hamilton for some cookies and wine and the perception you're travelling a better class?

Isn't there a price curve where the premium airline, giving up wifi and baggage revenue, will be so full they beat the cattle car airlines in seats sold/revenue?

Why can't there be an Apple iAirline, where people overpay for prestige and minuscule service benefits?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2016, 09:36:25 AM »
But .. while I get jamming as many people in to planes as possible .. I don't get the cutbacks in service, food, etc.  -- Or rather, why there isn't a Midwest Express sector.

What do warm cookies cost in bulk?  Maybe 20 cents?   How about wine?   Buy the wine in gallons and maybe that's 50 cents a cup.   Decent food, wifi .. what are we talking, $10 in cost?    The costs of that stuff is figuratively peanuts.

If your choice was SW's cattle car for $179, or Midwest Express' premium service at $189 aren't you dropping the extra Hamilton for some cookies and wine and the perception you're travelling a better class?

Isn't there a price curve where the premium airline, giving up wifi and baggage revenue, will be so full they beat the cattle car airlines in seats sold/revenue?

Why can't there be an Apple iAirline, where people overpay for prestige and minuscule service benefits?

I've been waiting for it, but those airlines have failed.  Is suspect it is because when you people use Kayak or Expedia or fill in the blank service, 95% of the time they select the lowest fare each and every time, thus that mere $10 increment fare doesn't get selected. 

Too many of the traveling public today have no clue what it used to be like to fly, either. My God, I remember you got dressed up to fly, it was an experience.  Now, it's taking the bus....and the fare price is all that matters.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2016, 09:47:01 AM »
Not sure ya can insult bus riders like that these daze, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2016, 10:03:15 AM »
Not sure ya can insult bus riders like that these daze, hey?

You are probably right.

I've taken the bus plenty of times myself, or the rail.....my point is that what used to be an experience, a higher end experience, has been commoditized so much that it has turned into an awful experience unless you are willing to spend a lot of money for the first 8 rows.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2016, 10:10:53 AM »
I've been waiting for it, but those airlines have failed.  Is suspect it is because when you people use Kayak or Expedia or fill in the blank service, 95% of the time they select the lowest fare each and every time, thus that mere $10 increment fare doesn't get selected. 

Too many of the traveling public today have no clue what it used to be like to fly, either. My God, I remember you got dressed up to fly, it was an experience.  Now, it's taking the bus....and the fare price is all that matters.

True.  But back then airline fares were regulated and next to no one could actually afford to fly.  Midwest did try to provide that premium service and I liked their product a lot.  But the reality is that the consumer airline business even for the business traveler is about getting from point A to point B as efficiently as possible.  Midwest simply had no real chance to compete with their small fleet and limited coverage. 

My regular route (MDW-LAS) is 3.5 hours airtime westbound.  My chosen carrier does that probably 10 times N/S daily and usually (if you work at it) at a good price.  Every moment from the time I lock my door until I unlock my other door is simply a chore that must be undertaken.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2016, 10:20:20 AM »
True.  But back then airline fares were regulated and next to no one could actually afford to fly.  Midwest did try to provide that premium service and I liked their product a lot.  But the reality is that the consumer airline business even for the business traveler is about getting from point A to point B as efficiently as possible.  Midwest simply had no real chance to compete with their small fleet and limited coverage. 

My regular route (MDW-LAS) is 3.5 hours airtime westbound.  My chosen carrier does that probably 10 times N/S daily and usually (if you work at it) at a good price.  Every moment from the time I lock my door until I unlock my other door is simply a chore that must be undertaken.

I'm actually talking post regulation.  Don't get me wrong, I remember the pre regulation days and how difficult it was for affordable airfares.  Then we had this period of a mixed time where there was higher end fares for a better experience, and cheap fares no frills.  That existed for quite some time.  Unfortunately the race to the bottom, no frills has won the day.  The market has spoken.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2016, 10:42:41 AM »
.. Sorry, even though search engines are going to sort by price .. I fail to see how an airline can't succeed with a premium brand and loyalty.   

Otherwise, Spirit airlines would be destroying everyone.

Keep the price bump reasonable and they'd do fine.  All those "frills" are just not that costly.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2016, 11:31:47 AM »

This +Infinity.

I think the reason it hasn't happened is Joe/Jane Business Traveler would LOVE this option, however, no one's corporate travel booking agency would allow them to pick this. I get dinged at my work every time I pick United, but Spirit has a stop over on my route and is $65 cheaper. The market is screaming for the option you described, I would never be able to have my employer allow me to pay a 10-15% premium for it though. Sucks, because I 100% agree that I'd fly that option in a heartbeat.

feedback