[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Alec Peters?  (Read 28204 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Alec Peters?
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2016, 05:20:33 PM »
Start a thread about starting unnecessary threads! Maybe take a poll on it as well!

I will ... Thanks for the idea

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2016, 05:57:08 PM »
So not only do we start threads about every single transfer, now we start them about guys that don't transfer.

Seems like our choices are:

Empty chair
Ask Wally back
30 year old Sudanese PF in Canada.

Is it October where you are?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2016, 06:24:48 PM »
I will ... Thanks for the idea

Yes!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2016, 06:29:13 PM »
Is it October where you are?

I agree with this.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2016, 11:21:41 AM »
Alec Peters back to Valpo (because Wojo cooled on him)

Not that I ever expected to get him, but for someone looking to make the jump next year to the NBA, this isn't a great decision.  I'm sure he loves Valpo, but returning to a team that lost 2 of their other top 4 scores, their leading rebounder, and their leading assist man, plus their coach, yeesh.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2016, 12:11:03 PM »
Said he will be returning to Valpo per Rothstein.
How curious. Step out of your comfort zone, young man, and dare to be great. Now, he'll continue to go up against second rate teams and be coached by a second rate staff.

Respect the decision, don't agree with it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2016, 12:25:09 PM »
Not that I ever expected to get him, but for someone looking to make the jump next year to the NBA, this isn't a great decision.  I'm sure he loves Valpo, but returning to a team that lost 2 of their other top 4 scores, their leading rebounder, and their leading assist man, plus their coach, yeesh.

Maybe the assumption shouldn't be that he had option to grad transfer. Perhaps he didn't graduate.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2016, 12:54:12 PM »
Maybe the assumption shouldn't be that he had option to grad transfer. Perhaps he didn't graduate.

This was my thought too.

He cannot graduate this summer.  So if he transfers, he has to sit a year.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2016, 03:04:07 PM »
How curious. Step out of your comfort zone, young man, and dare to be great. Now, he'll continue to go up against second rate teams and be coached by a second rate staff.

Respect the decision, don't agree with it.

But now he can beat UW-M at least two more times!

brandx

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2016, 04:29:25 PM »

I disagree. If a player is good enough to play in the NBA, they will find him.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2016, 04:51:29 PM »

Not even about being good enough.  But if he had the opportunity to improve his game with better teammates and higher level competition, that could only help him.  I meant it as an experience and improvement basis, not an exposure thing.

But if he wasn't going to graduate, this is all a moot point.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2016, 08:23:30 PM »
This was my thought too.

He cannot graduate this summer.  So if he transfers, he has to sit a year.

He graduates at the end of June. And for everyone ripping on him for staying, we would all be cool with Luke transferring to Syracuse this offseason if given the opportunity? Besides the fact that Marquette and valpo have about the same chances of making the tournament next year, there are very few teams in the country that will be way better than valpo and also increase his usage rate (Marquette is probably neither).

Also his girlfriend plays basketball at valpo as well.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2016, 08:48:05 PM »
He graduates at the end of June. And for everyone ripping on him for staying, we would all be cool with Luke transferring to Syracuse this offseason if given the opportunity? Besides the fact that Marquette and valpo have about the same chances of making the tournament next year, there are very few teams in the country that will be way better than valpo and also increase his usage rate (Marquette is probably neither).

So we're not SLU. We're Valpo. Awesome.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2016, 08:55:13 PM »
Maybe he likes the proximity to Gary

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2016, 10:05:23 PM »

Exactly. Ask Damian Lillard, Stef Curry and CJ McCollum
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2016, 10:13:13 PM »
Exactly. Ask Damian Lillard, Stef Curry and CJ McCollum

Difference here is those 3 were top 10 draft picks. Alec Peters is currently listed as the 34th best NCAA junior by Draft Express. AKA a late 2nd rounder at the very best. NBA scouts aren't flying into IN for Peters like they were NC, PA, or UT for those 3. Apples to oranges.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2016, 10:46:13 PM »
Difference here is those 3 were top 10 draft picks. Alec Peters is currently listed as the 34th best NCAA junior by Draft Express. AKA a late 2nd rounder at the very best. NBA scouts aren't flying into IN for Peters like they were NC, PA, or UT for those 3. Apples to oranges.

Scouts at a few games this season, mainly to watch him and Kay felder.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2016, 07:00:30 AM »

Of course they are. Valpo is just east of Chicago.  They play in a conference easily accessible by air.

The real question is lack of high level competition and doubts that scouts may have about that. By its not really going to harm him significantly.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2016, 07:23:54 AM »

Of course they are. Valpo is just east of Chicago.  They play in a conference easily accessible by air.

The real question is lack of high level competition and doubts that scouts may have about that. By its not really going to harm him significantly.

...wonder how often guys are concerned by that. That is, the players.. "crap, if I go up a level(s) and don't play well, did I just screw myself??"

Wouldn't think a lot.. but probably a worthwhile consideration for *some*

Peters last season in conf: 132.5 ORtg, 63.0% eFG, 14% TO rate....
In 5 games vs. KenPom Tier A, as defined: 100.6 ORtg, 47.4% eFG, 20% TO rate
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2016, 08:44:03 AM »
Scouts at a few games this season, mainly to watch him and Kay felder.

Yeah, but you don't have multiple scouts and GMs going to every game they play, like you do when there's a top 10 player at a mid major (Curry, Lillard, McCollum).  You get a few games a year where the scouts are watching a few players on the court at the same time to see if any of the 3 or 4 potential players could potentially be worth a late 2nd round pick.  Of course they're going to do their due diligence and watch more than just the 1 or 2 games they saw you that season in person, but you better hope you play well in those few games teams come out to watch you or you might be in a tough position.

Now think about if you're a potential late 2nd rounder who goes and joins a team that has a lottery pick on it (Marquette last season).  All of a sudden almost every team has a scout at almost every game you play, so you have the chance to showcase your skills every night, not just once or twice a year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2016, 08:55:57 AM »
Right.  Because none of the other games are on television or are recorded.

Anyway if someone is already considered a fringe first round pick, scouts will go to his games.  This isn't some diamond in the rough waiting to be discovered.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2016, 09:51:21 AM »
Right.  Because none of the other games are on television or are recorded.

Anyway if someone is already considered a fringe first round pick, scouts will go to his games.  This isn't some diamond in the rough waiting to be discovered.

That's my exact point.  Peters right now would be at best a late 2nd round pick in next year's draft.  An increase in exposure would help him...assuming he doesn't get exposed at a higher level.  Is dominating the mid majors going to increase his draft stock?  He's already proven he can do that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2016, 09:57:11 AM »
That's my exact point.  Peters right now would be at best a late 2nd round pick in next year's draft.  An increase in exposure would help him...assuming he doesn't get exposed at a higher level.  Is dominating the mid majors going to increase his draft stock?  He's already proven he can do that.

You are making two different points.  The first was that "no one was going to fly into Indiana" to scout his games.  Which is false.  People will get to his games and scout him.

The second is that "dominating the mid majors" is likely not going to increase his draft stock.  I agree with you here and pretty much acknowledged that to start.  It at least is going to give people some pause.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2016, 12:35:39 PM »

You are making two different points.  The first was that "no one was going to fly into Indiana" to scout his games.  Which is false.  People will get to his games and scout him.

The second is that "dominating the mid majors" is likely not going to increase his draft stock.  I agree with you here and pretty much acknowledged that to start.  It at least is going to give people some pause.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying.  Maybe I am just wording it poorly but I don't think comparing Alec Peters to CJ McCollum, Damian Lillard, and Steph Curry is a good comparison at all.  Those 3 players were top 10 draft picks that every team in the NBA was flying scouts out to watch every single game.  Scouts are not going to be living in Valparaiso from November through March.  NBA teams will send a low level scout to a game or 2 where they can see Peters and some other potential late 2nd round pick match up in the Horizon League.  Sure, if he's "good enough for the NBA he will be found."  But to pretend Alec Peters will get the same exposure that McCollum, Lillard, and Curry got is simply wrong.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2016, 12:48:03 AM »
I don't disagree with anything you're saying.  Maybe I am just wording it poorly but I don't think comparing Alec Peters to CJ McCollum, Damian Lillard, and Steph Curry is a good comparison at all.  Those 3 players were top 10 draft picks that every team in the NBA was flying scouts out to watch every single game.  Scouts are not going to be living in Valparaiso from November through March.  NBA teams will send a low level scout to a game or 2 where they can see Peters and some other potential late 2nd round pick match up in the Horizon League.  Sure, if he's "good enough for the NBA he will be found."  But to pretend Alec Peters will get the same exposure that McCollum, Lillard, and Curry got is simply wrong.

You are aware McCollum was injured his entire senior year, right?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”