'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Vander Summer League  (Read 49143 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Vander Summer League
« on: May 26, 2016, 04:36:11 PM »
Here is  a recent analysis of Vander Blue as relates to the Lakers  Summer League.

http://asingleword.sportsblog.com/posts/18304507/lakers-summer-league-checklist--3-vander-blue.html

He had a great year in the D League.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Vander Summer League
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 05:29:52 PM »
What grade is Gregory Crawford in?

Wow, that was, a poorly, written articall.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 06:13:56 PM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

muwarrior97

• All American
  • Team Whiny Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 06:14:36 PM »
What grade is Gregory Crawford in?

Wow, that was, a poorly, written articall.

Sarcasm key stuck on, nice ;)
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 07:19:38 PM »
what does a guy have to do??  there has got to be a team(NBA) that could use him, i mean, come on man!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 07:37:45 PM »
what does a guy have to do??  there has got to be a team(NBA) that could use him, i mean, come on man!!

Be able to shoot a jumper better than your average YMCA regular, to start.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 08:38:26 PM »
He really should go back overseas.  He could make a mint over there.  At best he is an end of the bench player in the NBA unless he completely does a 180 on his outside shooting.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 08:55:09 PM »
Odd too with that 87 percent free throw clip - did he not have a one handed jumper? 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 09:03:38 PM »
Be able to shoot a jumper better than your average YMCA regular, to start.

ok, so what is a decent, or in your words, "better than your average ymca regular" jumper?  shooting avg.?

he's shooting 44.5% and 35.7% from the 3.  missed leading the d-league in scoring by 0.1

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 06:48:30 AM »
ok, so what is a decent, or in your words, "better than your average ymca regular" jumper?  shooting avg.?

he's shooting 44.5% and 35.7% from the 3.  missed leading the d-league in scoring by 0.1

I'm not sure what you're ultimately suggesting here--is it that NBA teams are stonewalling Vander? Or that they're ignorant to his skills?

One of the beautiful things about sports is that unlike many industries, they're (mostly) a true meritocracy. If you can hack it in the NBA, you will find yourself on an NBA roster. Vander's been playing in the D-league and he's been to several NBA summer leagues/training camps. Teams have had a wealth of opportunities to evaluate him. So far, they've decided what he's bringing isn't enough.

Remember, having gaudy numbers in the D-league does not even remotely mean you can transfer that success to the NBA. They're so, so different. I hope Vander makes it in the NBA and gets to fulfill his dream for at least a few years. But if he doesn't, it won't be because no one gave him the chance.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 07:47:31 AM »

Asking your daughter-in-law out has worked for some.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 08:23:41 AM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 09:36:42 AM »
You should have given us a warning this was a Tom Oates article

Oates is right....Hayes should stay in, just as Vander should have.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 10:19:20 AM »
I agree, but at the same time I can't help but think Vander would be in the exact same place he is now even if he stays another year.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 10:31:33 AM »
I agree, but at the same time I can't help but think Vander would be in the exact same place he is now even if he stays another year.
There is a possibility if he stayed he would have been a late second round pick which may have given him slightly more opportunity in that a team would have been slightly more invested in his success.

Vander has a great attitude and keeps plugging away. I really respect that in him.
                       ---Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 10:58:10 AM »
Really Chicos?

We're certainly familiar with your exhausting position on Vander's early departure. You state it any chance you can.
Why? I have no idea.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 11:00:09 AM »
Really Chicos?

We're certainly familiar with your exhausting position on Vander's early departure. You state it any chance you can.
Why? I have no idea.

Are you new here?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 11:52:52 AM »
I think CBB does a search for "Vander" and responds to each post that he believes that it was a bad idea that he left school early.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 11:56:35 AM »
He's essentially a quadruple-A player, yes?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 12:13:12 PM »
NBA is fixed and run by the MAFIA. Hate the NBA game. Love College and H.S. Drinking Knob Creek or
Leinie's is more interesting.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 12:28:37 PM »
He's essentially a quadruple-A player, yes?

Great comparison.  He's going to end up as a lifer in the D league with a few cups of coffee in the Association.  He's a real Crash Davis

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 12:52:06 PM »
NBA is fixed and run by the MAFIA. Hate the NBA game. Love College and H.S. Drinking Knob Creek or

You clearly engage drinking both. Often.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 01:00:32 PM »

Mr. Koenig?

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 01:56:16 PM »
Odd too with that 87 percent free throw clip - did he not have a one handed jumper?

Every real basketball player has a one handed jump shot.  Your other hand is the guide hand which shouldn't be in contact with the ball at the point of release.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 02:14:23 PM »
I'm not sure what you're ultimately suggesting here--is it that NBA teams are stonewalling Vander? Or that they're ignorant to his skills?

One of the beautiful things about sports is that unlike many industries, they're (mostly) a true meritocracy. If you can hack it in the NBA, you will find yourself on an NBA roster. Vander's been playing in the D-league and he's been to several NBA summer leagues/training camps. Teams have had a wealth of opportunities to evaluate him. So far, they've decided what he's bringing isn't enough.

Remember, having gaudy numbers in the D-league does not even remotely mean you can transfer that success to the NBA. They're so, so different. I hope Vander makes it in the NBA and gets to fulfill his dream for at least a few years. But if he doesn't, it won't be because no one gave him the chance.

i'm not really suggesting anything except that i believe he's shown that he's capable and then some in the d-league.  i'm just another MU guy pulling for another MU guy to make it to the show, that's all.  the brief cups of coffee he's had on the big stage were hardly enough for him to show his stuff.  yes, i realize he's had many eyes on him and they obviously are not impressed enough to give him a full contract. 

BUT, what does a guy have to do in the d-league to be worthy?  average 30 ppg?  35?  8reb/game? 10?  2 turnovers/game, 3?  assists?  seriously, what is the magic number or intangible, or combination they look for?  i'll guarantee you that there are probably quite a few guys in the NBA that vander would make them look silly one on one

fwiw, i wasn't a big fan of vanders coming out of h.s as one of his first comments were that he was robbed of the state player of the year award.  it spoke volumes...