[Today at 11:24:41 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marcus Lee?  (Read 6130 times)

Hubert Davis

• Starter
Marcus Lee?
« on: May 25, 2016, 09:12:20 PM »
Marcus Lee is leaving Kentucky and has one year of eligibility. Has to sit out next year. With Luke graduating and Heldt as the only other big on the roster, why not aggressively go after Lee? Get on it Wojo. Be somebody!

Just win baby.

KampusFoods

• All American
Re: Marcus Lee?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:37:12 PM »
Marcus Lee is leaving Kentucky and has one year of eligibility. Has to sit out next year. With Luke graduating and Heldt as the only other big on the roster, why not aggressively go after Lee? Get on it Wojo. Be somebody!

Just win baby.

Asked and answered in other threads. Not likely, but all MU fans would welcome him with wide open arms. Any high major with a scholarship will be after this dude.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 10:38:08 PM »
Asked and answered in other threads. Not likely, but all MU fans would welcome him with wide open arms. Any high major with a scholarship will be after this dude.

...but people continue to cry that we asked our 13th best player to commit to the program in the same way that all 12 other players ahead of him on the roster need to commit to the program or to leave the program.  Silly, if you ask me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 10:44:05 PM »

Athletic, good rebounder and rim defender this past season. Atrocious free throw shooter (40.3%). Averaged 6.4 points, 6.0 boards, 1.6 blocks and 3.0 personal fouls in 21.8 minutes a game.

After posting a double-double in 22 minutes against Duke last November, Draft Express wrote that Lee "ran the court nicely and beat Duke's big men up the floor twice for dunks, and also was a reliable presence as a finisher in the half-court with his good hands and soft touch...was active on defense, particularly with his versatility on the pick and roll...On the downside, Lee's body looks very similar to how it did when he arrived at Kentucky, and there are serious questions about whether he has the strength and bulk needed to not get pushed around at the NBA level. He's essentially a 6-9 center without a very high skill level."

Sam Vecinie of CBS Sports named Lee one of the losers at the NBA draft combine (where he was an alternate). Vecinie wrote that "he did not test as well athletically as anticipated, and really struggled in game settings. Not only was he ineffectual defensively, but he didn't play within his skill set offensively and tried to do too much."

Opinions from a roundtable on Sea of Blue (a Kentucky blog) included "he has few basketball skills other than freakish athleticism — he can't really shoot, dribble or pass the basketball," "Lee looks like virtually the same player as he was in his high school mixtapes" and "he got the reality check needed at the NBA Combine." Character doesn't seem to be an issue.

Intriguing, certainly. But I'm not sure he's worth taking up a scholarship spot for two years. I suspect Wojo will have higher-priority targets.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Marcus-Lee-17640/

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/stock-watch-winners-and-losers-of-the-2016-nba-draft-combine/

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2016/5/24/11741714/marcus-lee-nba-draft-roundtable-predictions

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:47:11 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 11:10:25 PM »

Intriguing, certainly. But I'm not sure he's worth taking up a scholarship spot for two years. I suspect Wojo will have higher-priority targets.

We spent two years worth of scholarships for one year of Wally E and some here actually contend we would have done it even if he didn't have a younger brother. This guy fills a need and the fact that he played at UK and was invited to the NBA combine tell me he's light years better than Wally. I suspect Wojo and company would crawl through broken glass for him.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 11:32:43 PM »
We spent two years worth of scholarships for one year of Wally E and some here actually contend we would have done it even if he didn't have a younger brother. This guy fills a need and the fact that he played at UK and was invited to the NBA combine tell me he's light years better than Wally. I suspect Wojo and company would crawl through broken glass for him.

You could be right. Whether or not Lee ends up in the NBA, he's a high-quality frontcourt player. There's absolutely no comparison to Wally. And I'll fully admit that I have no knowledge of where Wojo's priorities lie.

But...

If a quality graduate transfer somehow comes available who could step in next year — or there's another equally skilled transfer with more than one year of eligibility — or if we land a highly regarded big man who could play as a freshman — that might change the equation.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 01:22:01 AM »
...but people continue to cry that we asked our 13th best player to commit to the program in the same way that all 12 other players ahead of him on the roster need to commit to the program or to leave the program.  Silly, if you ask me.

Don't think you understand why people are disappointed with how that played out...

...But situation being what it is, I'd take Lee in a heartbeat. Even with just the one year of eligibility and complete inability to shoot (24% beyond 5 feet, 40% on FTs last year) his defensive presence and excellent interior scoring efficiency is sorely needed on this team. Expect he'll go elsewhere, but I'd love a guy like this.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tompopsicle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 04:29:12 AM »
I read somewhere that he wanted to go west to be closer to family. I don't have the link though.

It also said he was one semester from graduating at UK.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 07:00:23 AM »

Nah, crawling through broken glass is something you only do in order to get an offer from I4 when you're best offer is to play for Crean at Marquette.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 08:04:30 AM »
As mentioned before here is the link to the article stating that he wants to transfer out west to be closer to family. If this is true, then there are plenty of decent programs a lot closer to the San Francisco area than Marquette and a lot of others whose closest conference games to California are not played in Nebraska so little to no chance.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15722460/isaiah-briscoe-return-kentucky-wildcats-sophomore-season-marcus-lee-transfer

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 08:25:29 AM »
As mentioned before here is the link to the article stating that he wants to transfer out west to be closer to family. If this is true, then there are plenty of decent programs a lot closer to the San Francisco area than Marquette and a lot of others whose closest conference games to California are not played in Nebraska so little to no chance.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15722460/isaiah-briscoe-return-kentucky-wildcats-sophomore-season-marcus-lee-transfer

A big if.  It does sound much better than "to be in a program where I am thought of as a starting caliber player".  Basic resume writing.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 09:24:25 AM »
Marcus Lee seems to be out due to geography, but are there any other players backing out of the draft who may transfer.  I saw Malik Newman is transferring from Mississippi State, but he is not really what we're looking for.

Any others?

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 09:41:06 AM »
Marcus Lee seems to be out due to geography, but are there any other players backing out of the draft who may transfer.  I saw Malik Newman is transferring from Mississippi State, but he is not really what we're looking for.

Any others?

Alec Peters from Valpo decides today if he will stay in the draft. Many think he will withdraw and grad transfer. Have heard speculation he would follow Bryce Drew to Vandy. Would take MU from fringe tourney team to virtual tourney lock, IMO.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 10:04:05 AM »
Alec Peters from Valpo decides today if he will stay in the draft. Many think he will withdraw and grad transfer. Have heard speculation he would follow Bryce Drew to Vandy. Would take MU from fringe tourney team to virtual tourney lock, IMO.

Oh man. This is one that would make a huge difference. Vandy still has some rebuild to do. We're primed to strike. Wojo, I can make the powerpoint if you need me to make one.

Dear Stan and Wojo... put this guy on speed dial.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 10:43:58 AM »
Twitter reports saying Peters is withdrawing his name, though no transfer decision yet.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 11:03:30 AM »
Twitter reports saying Peters is withdrawing his name, though no transfer decision yet.

ohgodohgodohgodohgod
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 12:05:36 PM »

Hopefully there is a window where he is willing to consider other schools.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 12:35:56 PM »

Wouldn't you rather have Kostas?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 12:47:05 PM »

Slip some cash under the table!!
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 12:54:15 PM »
Slip more some cash under the table!!
Fixed.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 12:55:21 PM »

I recall reading that Peters had some tie to MU - was it just that he's from Illinois? 

Honestly, Peters would be a dream come true. It'd make MU a legit top 20 preseason IMO.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:32:36 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 05:35:21 PM »
Honestly, Peters would be a dream come true. It'd make MU a legit top 20 preseason IMO.

Good size, good rebounder, and he can shoot (including three-point range). Think he'd be perfect.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 05:55:10 PM »
Good size, good rebounder, and he can shoot (including three-point range). Think he'd be perfect.

I'd love him here and love to be wrong but I can't imagine he doesn't end up at a blue blood or close.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 06:22:38 PM »
I'd love him here and love to be wrong but I can't imagine he doesn't end up at a blue blood or close.

Alec Peters  is what the upside case of Sam Hauser for  looks like. I think Alec grew physically  like a couple of inches and 50 pounds from when he was originally recruited. He averaged 12.7 and 4.8 as a freshman for Valpo. Obviously the Horizon League is not the Big East but maybe Hauser can give us some time at the 4 and have a career trend the way this kid did.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 07:04:44 PM »

he is a stud-go get him!!  we have what he needs and he has what we need-perfect symbiotic relationship-ennn'a
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback