[Today at 05:32:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kostas Antetokounmpo  (Read 83053 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Kostas Antetokounmpo
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2016, 09:46:34 PM »
One thing worth noting, Davante Gardner was an extremely overweight 2 star recruit who had minimal offers besides ours. He became one of our beloved and successful players pretty quickly. I am sure plenty of people considered him a project at the time. Projects do work out. The bottom line is Buzz had the vision to see that with some work Davante could be a viable player.  He felt the potential reward was worth the risk.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2016, 09:49:02 PM »
Devante was a big man, Kostas is the skinniest 6'11" wing I have ever seen, all skin and bones.  Right now MU needs somebody with some muscle.  Kostas should
go to UWM, playing time right away.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2016, 09:56:15 PM »
Devante was a big man, Kostas is the skinniest 6'11" wing I have ever seen, all skin and bones.  Right now MU needs somebody with some muscle.  Kostas should
go to UWM, playing time right away.
My point is Devante was obese when we recruited him and was not a guarantee to lose weight.

Yes Kostas is a complete bean pole.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2016, 10:09:50 PM »
I think it comes down to Wojo wants to use the scholarship on someone who will contribute during the 2016-17 season, or now more likely 2017-18 β€” and at a position of need.

With so many other more experienced and talented players ahead of him, I can't see Kostas getting on the court for at least the next two years, if ever. I'd rather Marquette offer the scholarship to a true big man who can replace Luke. Someone who can play right away. Even if we have to wait until the Class of 2017 to use it.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2016, 10:36:46 PM »
One thing worth noting, Davante Gardner was an extremely overweight 2 star recruit who had minimal offers besides ours. He became one of our beloved and successful players pretty quickly. I am sure plenty of people considered him a project at the time. Projects do work out. The bottom line is Buzz had the vision to see that with some work Davante could be a viable player.  He felt the potential reward was worth the risk.

Right.  And literally not a single mid or high major D1 coach thinks Kostas is worth the risk.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2016, 10:58:58 PM »
Right.  And literally not a single mid or high major D1 coach thinks Kostas is worth the risk.
Other than USF no one else wanted Davante.

That chapter with Kostas has yet to be written.  I think someone will step up. Hopefully us.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2016, 08:18:15 AM »
I love the logic of since one low rated recruit worked out, another one will too.

Players like Jamal Ferguson and Derrick Wilson notwithstanding.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2016, 08:35:41 AM »
I love the logic of since one low rated recruit worked out, another one will too.

Not saying that  the two should be correlated. Just pointing out that many hold out  Kostas physical stature as a reason not to pursue, yet here was another physcially challenged recruit  Davante who ultimately did well. I just pointed out the fact he was a 2 star to show that many shared that very limited view of him.

As to the other two you mentioned.Derrick Wilson was an absolutely stud athlete with an NFL body who was sought after by many top schools , so not analogous. Jamal Ferguson was a highly rated recruit  who did not work out .
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2016, 08:48:44 AM »
Not saying that  the two should be correlated. Just pointing out that many hold out  Kostas physical stature as a reason not to pursue, yet here was another physcially challenged recruit  Davante who ultimately did well. I just pointed out the fact he was a 2 star to show that many shared that very limited view of him.

As to the other two you mentioned.Derrick Wilson was an absolutely stud athlete with an NFL body who was sought after by many top schools , so not analogous. Jamal Ferguson was a highly rated recruit  who did not work out .

I don't care about Kostas' physical stature. I care that he's not very good at basketball. Hell, his physical stature (length and height) is the only reason I would even consider taking him!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2016, 08:57:16 AM »
I don't care about Kostas' physical stature. I care that he's not very good at basketball. Hell, his physical stature (length and height) is the only reason I would even consider taking him!
I think it is a stretch to say he is not good at basketball.  This tape of his senior season just came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVI3XotSzWI&feature=youtu.be

Yes it is a highlight reel and should be taken with a grain of salt as all highlight reels should be. However, there are many different basketball skills being demonstrated. I am sorry but the notion he cannot play is just not supportable. 
                       ---Al McGuire

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2016, 09:19:42 AM »
I think it is a stretch to say he is not good at basketball.  This tape of his senior season just came out.

Yes it is a highlight reel and should be taken with a grain of salt as all highlight reels should be. However, there are many different basketball skills being demonstrated. I am sorry but the notion he cannot play is just not supportable.

While we're bludgeoning expired equine... what are your thoughts on John Dawson's playing time?

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2016, 09:40:24 AM »
Kostas = Mboa only 3 inches shorter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2016, 09:48:19 AM »

I'm sorry.  This board is becoming silly.  Show me anything that suggests Mboa was even a Top 1000 recruit.  The kid had never played basketball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2016, 09:50:27 AM »
Fun fact ...

If Antetokounmpo married NBC's veteran Olympic/baseball announcer, he'd be Kostas Costas.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2016, 09:59:22 AM »
While we're bludgeoning expired equine... what are your thoughts on John Dawson's playing time?
Not nearly enough.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2016, 10:10:55 AM »
Fun fact ...

If Antetokounmpo married NBC's veteran Olympic/baseball announcer, he'd be Kostas Costas.

Almost Duany Duany.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2016, 11:02:21 AM »

I'm just not impressed.

At 1:55 in the video, Kostas slammed home an alley-oop against St. Cats.  I teach at SCHS, and let me tell you, our team this year was AWFUL.  At 6'2" they could have put me out there and I would have been the tallest player.  A 6'11", athletic kid like Kostas dunking on the Angels this year should be no surprise to anyone.  Most of the rest of the Metro Classic Conference was the same way: short and "traditional."  Highlight against those guys don't impress me.

Most of the highlights were easy dunks over tiny opponents or alley-oops over equally tiny opponents.  I think I saw a couple decent Euro-step moves, but that's about it.  I saw no evidence of shooting talent (FWIW, he shot .545 from the line, .209 from 3 this season)

Is Kostas athletic as heck? You bet!  Does he have the height that we need? For sure!  But is he a Big East TALENT as a basketball player? That's yet to be seen.

That said, if there's no other options, I'd take a flyer on him.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2016, 11:20:50 AM »

Wow, forgot about Mbao. Looked up what he did at Marshall. It was... uh... not great:

2013-14 (SENIOR):Played in 22 of 33 games ... Made 1 start on the year on senior night ... In his final season at Marshall, the senior center finished the year averaging 0.6 points per game and 1.5 rebounds per game ... On Dec. 17 versus Alice Lloyd he recorded a career high in rebounds with 14 ... Statistically, led the team with the highest field goal percentage at 77.8 percent.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2016, 11:28:03 AM »

Your comment is unfair to Jamal Ferguson and Derrick Wilson who showed much more potential as high school players.

Everyone let that sink in for a moment.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2016, 11:30:08 AM »

Neither are Davante and Kostas.  Davante displayed rare offensive talent in high school, and made at least all region teams in Virginia.  His weight and defensive ability were the concerns that limited his recruiting, but he was still recruited.

I was a big Davante advocate, and I'm against taking the Kostas flyer.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:33:37 AM by Crean to Ann Arbor »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2016, 11:37:59 AM »
I'm sorry.  This board is becoming silly.  Show me anything that suggests Mboa was even a Top 1000 recruit.  The kid had never played basketball.

He started at a prep school in California as a HS senior, so I don't get the never played basketball comment.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2016, 11:42:01 AM »
I'm just not impressed.

At 1:55 in the video, Kostas slammed home an alley-oop against St. Cats.  I teach at SCHS, and let me tell you, our team this year was AWFUL.  At 6'2" they could have put me out there and I would have been the tallest player.  A 6'11", athletic kid like Kostas dunking on the Angels this year should be no surprise to anyone.  Most of the rest of the Metro Classic Conference was the same way: short and "traditional."  Highlight against those guys don't impress me.

Most of the highlights were easy dunks over tiny opponents or alley-oops over equally tiny opponents.  I think I saw a couple decent Euro-step moves, but that's about it.  I saw no evidence of shooting talent (FWIW, he shot .545 from the line, .209 from 3 this season)

Is Kostas athletic as heck? You bet!  Does he have the height that we need? For sure!  But is he a Big East TALENT as a basketball player? That's yet to be seen.

That said, if there's no other options, I'd take a flyer on him.
Thanks for taking the time to review the highlights and provide a thoughtful and reasoned analysis. I support your conclusion.
                       ---Al McGuire

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2016, 11:56:04 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to review the highlights and provide a thoughtful and reasoned analysis. I support your conclusion.

I just talked to one of the SCHS varsity players in the hallway and asked him "How good is Kostas?"  His response "He's good, because he's 6'10.  If he was a normal height, he'd just be an average player."  I asked if he was worth it for Marquette's last schollie and he said "no way." 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »
I just talked to one of the SCHS varsity players in the hallway and asked him "How good is Kostas?"  His response "He's good, because he's 6'10.  If he was a normal height, he'd just be an average player."  I asked if he was worth it for Marquette's last schollie and he said "no way."
Well that kid is entitled to his opinion too . I appreciate him offering it.

The fact is he is 6-10 and has 7 1.75 wingspan . Matt Heldt is 6-8/9 ish  and if he were normal height he would be an average player also.

If Grandma had balls she would be Grandpa.
                       ---Al McGuire

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2016, 01:08:56 PM »
The fact is he is 6-10 and has 7 1.75 wingspan . Matt Heldt is 6-8/9 ish  and if he were normal height he would be an average player also.

I agree.  That's why I think, in absence of any other options, he might be worth a flyer.

There are plenty of examples of players who were talented who also happened to be tall (like Giannis for example) and there are players who weren't particularly talented but because they were tall still had success (I'd put Fisch in this category).  But college basketball is littered with guys who got schollies because they are tall who didn't pan out because they didn't have the talent/skill to make it (Mbao is an extreme example, Erik Williams might be another).

Is Kostas the first type? Not right now.  Will he turn his height and marginal talent into success at the next level?  That's yet to be seen.